Infernal Music

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
No, I'm not asking for music that sounds like it comes from the Hells Laughing

I need some help with ideas for an item that is involved in my campaign. A bit of background:
(4e btw)
One of my players is playing a Tiefling Bard. His hometown is a small Tiefling farming village that is part of a small region that was once part of Bael Turath, and so is still heavily populated and ruled by Tieflings. He found he was gifted musically, and began performing in the region, quite successfully. Soon after he discovered that his words had power, that he could influence the minds of others thru words and music, a mysterious Tiefling appeared one day and gave him several pieces of music. They were old songs, ballads and epic poems of heroes of old, of great adventures. Mighty warriors, fair maidens, terrible monsters, etc. He spent hours and hours pouring his talents into perfecting these wonderful and complex songs. He was asked to do a concert in his village during a fall festival when one of the higher officials from the ruling city was in the village on business, and performed these songs. The crowd grew more and more restless as the evening went on. By the end of the performance, the people were in a full-blown riot. There was much property damage in the village and among the dead was the government official, murdered. The bard fled his hometown and has spent the last several years traveling, avoiding all other Tieflings (in the off chance that they would lay the blame on him - even if they did recognize him - or even heard of the events in a remote village!!!), and has never again played that music, keeping it hidden and never letting it leave his person.

My ideas thus far:
This 'music' was created by an arch-devil during the height of Bael Turath, but before the war with the Dragonborn. Traveling minstrels traveled in non-Tiefling communities, playing these songs, which always resulted in the death of an important person(s), destruction of a particular object/building/project/infrastructure/food stores/cattle, etc. and always by 'the people' so that true cause, the music, could never be found. Soon after war broke out, the songs faded into history and haven't been heard in many centuries...until now.

All the PCs know at this point is that the songs are old, magical, extremely complex, have an infernal origin and need to all be played in full in order for the effect to reach full strength.

The effect is that it imposes the will of the arch-devil on those that listen, driving them into a frenzy, but completing specific goals.

My questions:
I'm not too familiar with the arch-devils. Which would likely do something like this? It doesn't have to be an arch-devil, but I was planning on tying the PC to an ancient Turathi bloodline, and during Paragon tier he discovers that he is descended from some ancient, cruel Tielfling ruler and has to grapple with all of that. Perhaps a visit to the Hells concerning the music and his heritage?

What sort of information should I release to the PCs and when/how should I do it?

I introduced the music to the PCs last session by having a single sheet 'fall' out of the PCs bag and get picked up by a random commoner who attempts to play the song, but two of the PCs stop him and recover the music. I was thinking that the music would do this several times - try to 'escape' so it can be played. But for what purpose??

What do you think? Please respond with any ideas you think would work!
Does it have to be an arch-devil from canon? Make your own up. Just don't make it the arch-devil of music, that'd be shticky, and lame.

Release information when the PCs do serious research on the music, or if one of them plays it, or hears it played for too long, have the PC become haunted by the tunes, longing to hear more constantly. Eventually that PC begins dreaming of fire, and the music, and a fire standing in the flame, and each dream will reveal a bit more (as long as the music keeps getting played).

The music wants to be played, because the arch-devil's plans are served by chaos, or maybe the devil actually gains power directly from the chaos.

Actually, it'd be cool if the music was Old- days of creation Old, empire of the beholders Old.  Extremely old, and powerful, and it had just been tamed by the Bael Turathi empire way back when (who received it from the arch-devil in question). Maybe the music is partially responsible for the fall of the empire. Anyways, the arch-devil knows the music is something of great power, and uses it to sow the chaos necessary to further the devil's plans. 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

My wife and I played a campaign(3.5) and since it's just the two of us, I gave her some useful items to help her character and save time.One of those items was a magic lyre.

Perhaps the music causes destruction because it's not being played by the right instruments. If found,they channel power to arch-devil when the song is played. But, if played backwards,they bind the arch-devil or destroy him.

And like the One ring, the music is trying to return to it's master.This could lead the party to the BBEG.By playing the music backwards on the magic instrument(s), the tiefling redeems himself.

Just some ideas, hope this helps.

I just used intentionally backmasked music for stuff like this and then I play it backwards to show them the effect.

So for example if it requires the death of a particular person, thats it what it will say when played backwards. If it required someone to smoke pot. Well you know what song I play.

My real screen name is WAR10CK. Space pirate science, We do what must because we can.

What if it is a demon instead of a devil? Chaos is more their thing.

It would make sense that demons, seeing their old devilish enemies gaining dominion over the world through their Tiefling lackeys, would take steps to collapse the empire. The music was one way, provoking the mobs to slay their devil-bound rulers. Your Tiefling would have a very interesting ancestor if this were the case; someone alienated from his kin and vengeful enough that he would seek out the Empire's most fearsome extra-planar enemies to destroy it.

As for why the music wants to escape; what self-respecting agent of chaos would allow itself to be cooped-up in a folder while there are kingdoms to ruin and orders overturned?
What if it is a demon instead of a devil? Chaos is more their thing.

It would make sense that demons, seeing their old devilish enemies gaining dominion over the world through their Tiefling lackeys, would take steps to collapse the empire. The music was one way, provoking the mobs to slay their devil-bound rulers. Your Tiefling would have a very interesting ancestor if this were the case; someone alienated from his kin and vengeful enough that he would seek out the Empire's most fearsome extra-planar enemies to destroy it.

As for why the music wants to escape; what self-respecting agent of chaos would allow itself to be cooped-up in a folder while there are kingdoms to ruin and orders overturned?

Point taken, and I have thought about it.
I was thinking devil because there is always a specific goal (usually political) when the music is played. It showed up at the right moment in the PCs background, when this official was in town.

I could run either way with it. The PCs know (two of them anyway - they are keeping it a secret from the rest - I'll use that too...) that it is infernal in origin. Maybe it was created by the devils, then stolen and changed/used by a demon prince. OR the devils designed it that way to make it look like it was demons 'pulling the strings' as it were. There is enought I can do with it so that the PCs could travel to both the Hells AND the Abyss and then maybe back to the Hells to figure it out once and for all.
I'll have to think on it.

Thanks for the responses so far!