Pyromancer Damage Maximizing

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
My wife is looking for ways to improve her Pyromancer's damage (She's the group's striker and the Hexblade is the group's controller). 

She's level 7, and everyone got an expertise feat for free at level 1. Inherent Bonuses are on.

Race: Cindersoul Genasi

Current feats
MC Swordmage for light blade implements
Incendiary Dagger proficiency
Implement Focus Dagger
Implement Expertise Light Blade

Class Choices
Pyromancy Apprentice
Evocation Apprentice
Pyromancy Expert
Evocation Expert
Pyromancy Master

Magic Items
Flaming Incendiary Dagger
Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (Paragon Tier)
Burning Gauntlets

Any advice for anything else to do to further improve her damage? Feats, magic items, paragon path?
Just so you know, the flaming weapon no longer changes the damage type for wizard spells.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Source? The item's wording hasn't changed so far as I can tell.
By Zeus's beard, you're right. That's just plain silly.
Fire's kinda her whole theme, her entire backstory is essentially fire and fire accessories. She is the Hank Hill of burning things.
For further improvement, you might consider arcane admixture (fire) +caustic whetstone+icy clutch+dual implement. It is tiefling only, though.
There's no need of flaming weapon. If your DM allows dragon and hos there's a more than competitive power for each level. You'll get your staff of ruin bonus, just remember that maybe you want to admixture some powers, maybe at level 7 and 23 (acid storm is unbelievable).

Tiefling is the way to go, imho. +2 to hit over genasi, at the expense of some direct damage but with extra punch on ongoing damage (and you are going to do it).

Personally i'd go mage Pyromancer/Evoker.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

Also remember that you can ignore the errata if you want to (if the DM is OK with it of course).  I know in games I run I ignore stuff like that for my players.

This is assuming a home game, of course. 
Also, at mid-Paragon the Weapon of Summer becomes available, which will give you flaming attacks.

Helpful optimization;
- Get DEX 13 by 11th level, to pick up Dual Implement Spellcaster.
- Elemental Empowerment is absolutely required by the build, in order to make it function the way it is supposed to (which is to say, high damage).
- Lightblade Expertise is for weapon attacks only, just so you know. Versatile Expertise is needed.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

+1 to Reg06's suggestion.  Elemental Empowerment from Arcane Power is a genasi wizard feat that adds Strength bonus to damage rolls with certain energy keywords, of which fire is one.  This assumes you have decent Strength; with the new Con option for genasi, you may have built for toughness and to maximize the level 10 pyromancer feature.

Again, +1 to Reg06.  Dual Implement Spellcaster (also AP) adds an off-hand implement's enhancement bonus to damage rolls.  A plain-vanilla implement is cheapest, but an Orb of Nimble Thoughts gives a huge bump to initiative and a big shift as an encounter power.

Destructive Wizardy (same source) adds bonus damage if you hit more than one target with a power.

Looks like you've got all the other fire bumps available to a non-tiefling, but an Accurate Staff of Ruin is about the same as an incendiary dagger (loses a point of damage at low heroic and the first couple levels of paragon, then stays even or ahead until you can get a Firebird head-slot item at 27th and gains a point to hit on non-Ref attacks).  You lose out on being able to pick a more interesting enchantment, but free up a feat slot since you don't need to gain proficiency and can choose the vastly superior Staff Expertise over Versatile Expertise. Nausicaa makes an excellent point that there are plenty of fire spells, so there isn't too much need to worry about changing energy types, and Arcane Admixture can open up more options in paragon.
Personally i prefer tiefling, just because you are +2 hit over genasi (+3 if the target is bloodied), and you can use the best fire blaster PP, master of fire, with great synergy.
Not that genasi is bad, i'm not saying it. But i see icy clutch of stygia and hellfire master as a really good incentive for a pyromancer.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

Personally i prefer tiefling, just because you are +2 hit over genasi (+3 if the target is bloodied), and you can use the best fire blaster PP, master of fire, with great synergy.
Not that genasi is bad, i'm not saying it. But i see icy clutch of stygia and hellfire master as a really good incentive for a pyromancer.

What is the other +1 besides Hellfire Blood?

I just got my LFR tiefling pyromancer to 11th, when Icy Clutch and Hellfire Master kicked in, and after using a caustic whetstone for the first fight, I've never seen so many failed saves.  One critter failed 5 saves in a row...  I hold out hope for a solo fight. 

What is the other +1 besides Hellfire Blood?

Secret of Belial for Serpent's Cunning, which also consistently grants you a good skill bonus.

\facepalm\

Completely slipped my mind; I have it slated for level 14 feat pick, after reserve maneuver...  thanks 
\facepalm\

Completely slipped my mind; I have it slated for level 14 feat pick, after reserve maneuver...  thanks 

I made up a pyromancer build. Don't look too close to defenses-ac, since they could easily be wrong

Show

Pyro-kun level 30
Tiefling, Mage, Master of Flame, Sage of Ages
Master Mage feature: pyromancer mage
Expert Mage feature: evoker mage

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 15, Int 26, Wis 15, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 12.

AC: 44 Fort: 43 Reflex: 45 Will: 43
HP: 144 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 36

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses
Level 4: Icy Clutch Of Stygia
Level 6: Hellfire Blood
Level 8: Enlarge Spell
Level 10: Dual Implement Expertise
Level 11: Hellfire Arcanist
Level 12: Arcane Admixture (Thunder Cage level 7-17, Winged Horde level 17-23, Acid Storm level 23-30, fire)
Level 14: Superior Implement Proficiency (Accurate Staff)
Level 16: Secrets of Belial
Level 18: Destructive Wizardry
Level 20: Unarmored Agility
Level 21: Arcane Mastery
Level 22: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 24: Wizard Implement Expertise
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Epic Fortitude
Level 30: Stoking The Fire

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Winged Horde
Wizard encounter 1: Burning Hands
Wizard daily 1: Flaming Sphere
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Summon Dretch
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Mystical Debris
Wizard encounter 3: Fireshroud
Wizard daily 5: Summon Magma Beast
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Visions of Avarice
Wizard utility 6: Fire Shield
Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Summon Iron Cohort
Wizard encounter 7: Thunder Cage (fire admixtured)
Wizard daily 9: Summon Hell Hound
Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Wall of Fire
Wizard utility 10: Illusory Wall
Wizard utility 10 Spellbook: Blur
Wizard encounter 13: Blackening Pyre
Wizard daily 15: Prismatic Beams
Wizard daily 15: Spellbook: Stonewrack
Wizard utility 16: Clever Escape
Wizard utility 16: Spellbook: Fly
Wizard encounter 17: Dancing Flames (retrain thunder cage)
Wizard daily 19: no retrain
Wizard utility 22: Wraithform
Wizard utility 22: Spellbook: Wall of Force
Wizard encounter 23: Acid Storm (fire admixtured)
Wizard daily 25: Prismatic Spray
Wizard daily 25: Spellbook: Summon Abyssal Horde
Wizard encounter 27: Blazing Death Storm
Wizard daily 29: Summon Marilith
Wizard daily 29: Spellbook: Prismatic Wall

Items: +6 war mage accurate staff, +6 accurate staff of ruin, +6 battle harness starweave armor, +1 orb of nimble thoughts, Burning Gauntlets (Epic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master, Crest of Vigilance Eternal (heroic tier), Circlet of Arkhosia, Belt of the Witch King, Opal Ring of Remembrance, Ring of Free Time, Siberys Shard of the Mage (epic tier), +6 Torc of Power Preservation, Curse eye tattoo, 4x whetstones of combustion (heroic tier)