Improved Defenses Question

Sorry for the noob question, but I am curious about this feat. Does the +1 to all defenses apply to all future levels, or do you only add it once when you take the feat? What I mean is, when leveling up and calculating your new defense scores, do you add the +1 at each new level?

You add the +1 once when you take the feat. That's it.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Sorry for the noob question, but I am curious about this feat. Does the +1 to all defenses apply to all future levels, or do you only add it once when you take the feat? What I mean is, when leveling up and calculating your new defense scores, do you add the +1 at each new level?

Yeah, all the feat does is raise each of your Reflex, Fortitude, and Will scores by 1, once.
I can see how both Stanoje and Pukunui are correct but the answer my confuse you.

You only get the +1 to your Defense scores once.  That +1 will stack with whatever Defense bonuses you get from classes and Heroic class level.

If you become a Scoundrel6 and select Improved Defenses for your feat you basic (no ability modifiers or other things no directly related to class level and ID) defense scores are REF 19, FORT 17, WILL 18.  When you become a Scoundrel 7 those go to 20/18/19.  The break down for the Scoundrel 6 REF DEFENSE is 10 (base) +6 (heroic level) +2 (class bonus) +1 (Improved Defense feat) = 19; as you level that ID bonus remains.
Steven_O, thanks for clarifying. I was a bit confused by the previous answers. The way you list is the way I had calculated, I just wanted to make sure I was not mistakenly inflating the defense scores. Thanks as always guys!
You're welcome.

I can see why there may be issues, especially if English isn't a first language.  If you could ID just when you take it but believe you figure out completely new defense scores each time you level you may wonder "why don't I keep that bonus?"  I have also seen some people use things that that to add another +1 to there defense score every time they level so the +1 when you take the feat becomes a total of +2 next level and +3 the level after that; the Toughness feat is perhaps one of the biggest offenders here.