Do you ever wonder what they were thinking when....

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anybody else have a card that they like, for no reason. The cards doesn't even have to be good, but usually has some flavor text or artwork they like, or maybe a good interaction.  Well my favorite card is Street Wraith becuase of how I think it came to be.  My mind made up the story as follows.
Head Designer- we need more card draw in this set, go!
Guy 1- should we just make another blue cantrip?  It always works out well.
guy 2- no, lets do something better, or different.
guy3- like make the card draw in a different color?  Like white?  White has no card draw really.
guy2- that is pushing it too far, lets go with black.  Black has some draw, but not a lot.
guy 1- well if we are going to be different with it, instead of making it a sorcery or instant lets make it a creature.
guy3- now thats the spirit!
guy 2- cantrip on a creature is boring.  Cycling may be more fun!
guy1- perfect idea, a creature no one will ever cast because cycling it will be the far better option!
guy3- Make it cost like 5 with double black in the cost! That will get them!
guy2- Yes, and make it really under powered for its cost and give it no good abilities!  so like 3/4?
guy 3- sounds good, so we have a 5 cost creature, with a really poor power toughness to casting ratio, no abilities to make its board presence worth it, but it does indeed cycle for 2 life.
Head Designer-what you got for me?  Wow, that is special.  Ill make one change.  What do you guys think?
Guy1-Swampwalk? Really?  What ever, itll never work out.
guy 3- now thats just funny.
Head Desinger- Ok guys, good work.

Does anyone else have a card they like for reason like this?
Reaper King. Head of a tribe that got no viable support. Prohibitive mana cost. Totally impractical. And unbelievably awesome.
Well, Goatnapper. I don't think he ever was that useful even when there really were Goats around in the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block, and he's even less useful now. But... still.
"They return. They always return, when I lose everything." - Karn, about the Phyrexians
...you do know that Goatnapper is for changelings, don't you?
I dont really care what goat!napper was for, its still awesome because of the text on it!  I also liked Goblin Assualt from Alara,     "a goblin raid is a delicate gambit, a blend of stealth, precission, and screaming death".    Happy Panda
I dont really care what goat!napper was for, its still awesome because of the text on it!  I also liked Goblin Assualt from Alara,     "a goblin raid is a delicate gambit, a blend of stealth, precission, and screaming death".    Happy Panda

*shrug* Goblin Offensive or Akki Drillmaster are still funnier, I think.
Uthden Troll has always been one of my "go to" cards when it comes to flavor.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

*shrug* Goblin Offensive or Akki Drillmaster are still funnier, I think.

Goatnapper is more elegant than those because the humor is in rule text, not flavor text. 

Also, he definitely knows that it steals changelings. It's why he said there were goats around in Llorwyn block. 
If I had to pick a single card as my favorite, I guess I'd have to go with Azorius First-Wing.

I really love that little guy and I don't really know why. It's not a particularly impressive card.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Also, he definitely knows that it steals changelings. It's why he said there were goats around in Llorwyn block. 

There were real goats in Lorwyn block.

(Oh, fine, if you want we can quibble about whether Lorwyn and Shadowmoor are the same block or not. I see them as the same block. They have some very different mechanics, but that didn't stop Rise of the Eldrazi being part of Zendikar block, so nyah.)
It depends on whether you're talking about Constructed or Limited. In Block Constructed, yeah, those are part of the same block. However, they are seperate in Limited.
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
Goblin Balloon Brigade

Also, why isn't giant inflatable toad a creature?
My friend is so totally in love with Goatnapper.  He got a foil one and put iot in the front page of his binder just to make people laugh.

I'd have to say the card for me that falls into the category of useless, but love it is Ogre Menial.  It's an ogre, that breathes fire!  Just the pinnacle of fantasy.
Another is Evermind.  It does absolutely nothing on it's own!  Completely useless!  And yet I love it, and have a foil version of it and the menial.
Aarrgh, he just hit me in the nards with a TV DINNER! -actual phone conversation
122343719 wrote:
I can't really understand people that just go along with the school, job, marrige, kids type goals in life because that is what they think is right. If people want those things they should want them because it makes them happy. I had an ex like that, she wanted those things because her family and her peers all wanted those things. Thinking for yourself is one of the greatest things you are capable of.
500th post- 3/15/11 1000th post- 4/7/12