Question about this guide

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I like this handbook because it helps me figure out what im going to pick, but i dont know how to calculate the damage for each skill. Is there an area on the forums that will help me with this?
Do you mean the damage for each power? "Skill" is a defined game term - skills are things like Perception and Stealth, so if you use that word to refer to your powers it's going to confuse people...

Are you just wondering how to read the Hit line of a power? The Hit line of a power details the effects of hitting, including how much damage it does. Some powers also deal damage on a miss or as an Effect of using that power, and that damage will be listed under the appropriate lines of the power.
You'll need to look up each individual power in the books to see what they do.
Weapon powers always do [W] damage, where W is the damage die of your weapon (a longsword is a d8 weapon, for example). If it says "2[W]", that means you roll a d8 twice and total the results, and if it says "2[W] + Strenth modifier" then you roll 2d8 and add your strength modifier to that total...
For an implement power, it will always list a set amount of damage that doesn't change based on the implement you're using - a power will always list a damage die (or dice) such as "3D10 + Intelligence modifier" rather than a [W]...

If you have a magic weapon or implement, it also adds it's enhancement modifier to your damage roll. Other miscellaneous bonuses or penalties may also apply to a particular attack.

If at all possible, you need to pick up a copy of either the Players Handbook or one of the "Heroes of..." books and read over the sections on character creation, how to read a power, and combat...

Also, if you have a basic rules question, you can post it in the Quick Questions and Answers thread at the top of the Rules Q&A forum. Chances are it'll get answered quicker there.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I like this handbook because it helps me figure out what im going to pick, but i dont know how to calculate the damage for each skill. Is there an area on the forums that will help me with this?

"Skill" is the MMO term for what we call "Powers." "Skill" has a completely different meaning in D&D, so using one when you mean the other is going to confuse people.

The reason the posters of those builds in Char Op don't include powers text is because they cannot. The forum moderators look poorly upon posters who post the full game text of elements found within the rulebooks. Doing so is a good way to get a thread deleted (and those handbooks take a lot of wrok to compile and post). Doing so too often can earn a poster a temporary ban. The creators of those guides usually post the source of the power so you can find it and make an informed choice with the rules text in front of you.

Seriously, when we tell you to look it up yourself, we aren't being rude. The only time we have any leeway to post complete game text is when we are answering a specific rules question.

Assuming, as others have, that you mean powers, not skills, no there is no area of the forums that will help you determine how to calculate the damage each power does. You will need to look them up in the appropriate source material, either a Player's Handbook, a "Power" Sourcebook, a Campaign or Player's Guidebook, an Essentials book, or an issue of Dragon Magazine.

If nobody in your group has any of these, you will need to invest money in your hobby. If everybody in your group has some of these, you should set up a brainstorming/group building session where everybody brings what books they have. Most groups that limit material in any way tend to limit it to the materials they have, so if you want to use something in a book nobody has, you'll have to purchase it, either yourself, or another member of the group. You can "split-cost" books, where multiple people chip in on a book, but do so carefully, because co-ownership can be tricky.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Is your problem that, as the above posters describe, you're trying to use the handbook alone as the source for building a character?  If so, then no, you won't be able to make a functional character with just that information as it's only analysis of the options rather than actual rules information.

If you're having trouble with doing the calculations and do have the source material available, then either here or CharOp will be fine for asking those sorts of questions.  Ask away.  Though, I would recommend rereading the sections in the Player's Handbook or the Heroes of X books, as they explain mostly clearly how to do the basics.  There are some confusing parts for new players, so don't hesitate to ask.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Ah so what you guys are saying is to find the damage for each skill you would need the actually book. So can you tell me which book has all the skills listed for the sorcerer along with how much damage each one does (ex 1d6+2)?
Ah so what you guys are saying is to find the damage for each skill you would need the actually book. So can you tell me which book has all the skills listed for the sorcerer along with how much damage each one does (ex 1d6+2)?

The Sorcerer is found in the PHB2.  It has additional powers printed in Arcane Power, and a smattering of them in Dragon Magazine.

No, we cannot tell you how much damage each power does.  It would be a violation of the Terms and Conditions of the board.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The damage thing you read wrong or i didnt write it clear...i ment to say what book with tell me the "powers" and damage for those "powers." Ill see if i can get my hands on the Player's Handbook 2. What is the Arcane bower and what do you mean by "smattering" of them in dragon magazine?
The damage thing you read wrong or i didnt write it clear...i ment to say what book with tell me the "powers" and damage for those "powers." Ill see if i can get my hands on the Player's Handbook 2. What is the Arcane bower and what do you mean by "smattering" of them in dragon magazine?

with a ddi sub you can get all powers and feats fro every book and magazine, along with a character builder to help you put it all together. its the cheapest route, and grab a rules compendium for the rest of the rules

Arcane Power is yet another book to buy.

And every now & then Dragon Magazine - an online only magazine, (only available with a D&D Insider substcription) will have an article with more options for the various classes. 

Funny, Salla listed exactly what books answer your question. PHB2 lists the class, and included the first selection of sorcerer Powers (get your terms right, skill means something different in D&D) and then listed what products include more/additional powers. Though actually there is 1 power not found in those 3 sources according to the compendium. 

As a side note, i've never heard abilities in any MMO referred to as skills - only powers or abilities.  Skills are Skills in every MMORPG I've ever played. Laughing

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
the awesome call of cthulhu uses 'skill' for everything from weapon attacks to accounting

Just to ritterate.

Sorcerer is in PHB2.  Arcane Power gives more options for aracane classes, including the sorcerer.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

the awesome call of cthulhu uses 'skill' for everything from weapon attacks to accounting

As do the many other skill based games. 

Alright so i got the players handbook 2 and it helped tremendously. Thanks for the information guys. Now my next question is if an enemy is hit with a power that does fire, cold, or lightning damage do they get a status effect for each. Like for example if hit with fire do they get a burn status, cold a slow status/frozen status, lightning stun status?
Alright so i got the players handbook 2 and it helped tremendously. Thanks for the information guys. Now my next question is if an enemy is hit with a power that does fire, cold, or lightning damage do they get a status effect for each. Like for example if hit with fire do they get a burn status, cold a slow status/frozen status, lightning stun status?

Powers only do what they say they do.

Fire powers only inflict ongoing damage if they say they do. Cold powers only Slow if they say they do. Lightning / Thunder powers only Daze if they say they do.

Those keywords are there because some creatures are resistant to or vulnerable to specific types of damage, even if the powers themselves do not inflict a condition.

The rules for how to read a power start on p. 218 of the Player's Handbook 2. All the information you need should be there.

Remember, one of the basic prinicples of 4th edition D&D is that things only do what they say they do. If they don't say they do X, then they don't do X.

All general rules apply, unless a specific rule gives an exception.

It would be wise for you to spend some time familiarizing yourself with the book, and its content and rules, before you ask more questions. You will find most of the answers to your questions in that book.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

This isn't Pokemon.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.

The rules for how to read a power start on p. 218 of the Player's Handbook 2. All the information you need should be there.

Remember, one of the basic prinicples of 4th edition D&D is that things only do what they say they do. If they don't say they do X, then they don't do X.

All general rules apply, unless a specific rule gives an exception.

It would be wise for you to spend some time familiarizing yourself with the book, and its content and rules, before you ask more questions. You will find most of the answers to your questions in that book.

Alright ill check that page out...I didnt get a chance to read the whole thing yet since there are so many pages. So i figured i would get a faster response here. Its just nice to get a quick response to a simple question.

Oh btw for those who helped me out since ive got here. I finally played my first game of D&D. We did a practice engagement to start,with premaid characters from the dummies guide,  so that everyone could get use to the game. We had a rogue, cleric, mage, and fighter and fought two orcs and two kobolds. We ended up winning (though not without its horrible horrible rolls lol). All in all it was a great learning experience. I tried to attemp to make my own rogue to play an actually quest with, but it turned out horribly and i didnt like it at all. So i think im going to try that Dragon sorc build i have been working on. From what ive filled out so far it seems to have exactly what i wanted. All that is left is to test it out in a real quest now.

Alright ill check that page out...I didnt get a chance to read the whole thing yet since there are so many pages. So i figured i would get a faster response here. Its just nice to get a quick response to a simple question.

Nothing wrong with wanting a quick answer to a quick question, but as I said, most of the answers your looking for are in that book, anyway, and it will be a good practice to get used to looking up the rules for yourself, because if you're at a table playing, you can't hop online real quick to ask a quick question. Getting in the habit of quickly thumbing through a handbook or the Rules Compendium will benefit you in the long run. The main reason I don't have more questions about the game is because I've always just said, "Well, my question is about X, let me check the index and- oh, here it is, X, on page Y."

Don't worry as much about reading through the sections on classes other than the ones you're thinking about playing, or races other than the ones you're thinking about playing. So, between pp. 6 & 29, you should really only need to sort of flip through and maybe glance at stuff. Then read the section in Chapter 2 (pp. 30-175) for the class you're interested in (Sorcerer starts on p. 136 and runs to 151). Chapter 3, and the Appendix, are a little more benefcial. The first part of Chapter 3 (pp. 178-182) cover backgrounds, which are a good, flavorful (but not overly mechanical) benefit to the game. Feats (pp. 184-196) are good to familiarize yourself with. Gear (pp. 197-210) is useful if you're starting at a higher level, but not terribly important at level 1. Rituals (pp. 211-217) aren't very important for your character, as Sorcerers do not start out with the ability to use Rituals, and most groups have a character that does, so you don't really need to focus on it. The Appendix (pp. 218-223) is going to be very beneficial, because it has actual, useful rules to help you sort out what you're looking at.

So, basically, glance over chapter 1, read the section in chapter 2 that applies to your character, read part of chapter 3, glance over the rest, and read the appendix. I know that seems like a lot, but you paid for that book, you should want to get your money out of it.

Also, if nobody in your group has this, and you guys are enjoying D&D thus far, the Rules Compendium should probably be the next book purchased.

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Thanks so much for all this info...Last night i thumbed through some of the PH2. Learned a lot of new things, i will def be more prepaired for next time i play ^_^.

Oh i do have a question though that i couldnt find in the book. How do certain gods change the powers that clerics use? Or do they not do anything to the powers.
The gods don't do anything to the cleric's normal powers except in specific situations. The main way is that the claric can take Channel Divinity feats related to his god which give him powers to use.

Additionally, there are options in the book "Divine Power" which allow a player to take domain feats which can alter some at-will powers.  
Oh i do have a question though that i couldnt find in the book. How do certain gods change the powers that clerics use? Or do they not do anything to the powers.

Where did you get the idea that they would?
loose [loos] vt. to let loose; to release; to unfasten, undo or untie; to shoot or discharge. lose [looz] vt. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery; to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered; to suffer the deprivation of. LEARN THE DAMN DIFFERENCE. The pen is mightier than the character builder. Copy this to your sig if you like 4e but don't use the CB. "OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E." -RedSiegfried
The gods don't do anything to the cleric's normal powers except in specific situations. The main way is that the claric can take Channel Divinity feats related to his god which give him powers to use.

Additionally, there are options in the book "Divine Power" which allow a player to take domain feats which can alter some at-will powers.  

ah ok...but all in all they really dont do much for the player. It just add background and helps with what you stated here.

ah ok...but all in all they really dont do much for the player. It just add background and helps with what you stated here.

Stuff in 4th edition tends to fall into one of two categories, it's either "mechanics" which is the numbers stuff, or it's "flavor" which is, pretty much, everything else. The god your character believes in is the latter, it has no mechanical impact on the game whatsover. Note well, divine characters do not actually have to be actively engaged in worshiping any god for their powers to work.

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Understood...Thanks for all of the information you guys have givin me. It is helping so much. I think now i will do a lot better than i did last time.

Where did you get the idea that they would?

To be fair, the Domain feats in Divine Power do alter at-will powers for divine classes, so gods can in fact alter some cleric powers.

Yea a friend of mine mentioned something about gods affecting powers, but he wasnt too specific. Thats why i asked here. I guess he ment stuff from the Domain feats in Divine Power.