[suggestion] Monster Cards

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dear Wizards,

I would pay good money for well-produced cards containing monster statblocks, so that I could just pull the cards I might need for a given session rather than a) bring two to four monster books to my table or b) print them off the DDI Monster Catalogue at a full page per creature.

Just a suggestion.

Ken MacLennan
aka RadioKen

Ken MacLennan

Preferably not in random assortments.

Ken MacLennan

Why not just photo copy the pages you need/want?
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
'Cause it's a pain in the tuchus and it's not that good for the binding of the book (especially for the tightly-bound paperback Monster Vault).  Plus, at commercial copying rates (as low as what, 8 cents a page?) the cost wouldn't be sufficiently lower to justify the effort, especially because the production quality would be lower.  At this point in my life I'd rather spend money to save time than the other way around.

I realize that different-sized stat blocks pose an obstacle.  But how significant an obstacle?

Ken MacLennan

Dear Wizards,

I would pay good money for well-produced cards containing monster statblocks, so that I could just pull the cards I might need for a given session rather than a) bring two to four monster books to my table or b) print them off the DDI Monster Catalogue at a full page per creature.

Just a suggestion.

Ken MacLennan
aka RadioKen

I like this idea a lot. A nice case with a couple dozen monster cards would be easier to carry to gaming sessions than three or four books.

Maybe two or three standard sizes of card, for short, medium, and long statblocks.  Distributed in themed assortments, perhaps?

A couple ideas for packaging:

1) Packaged in level groups (1-3, 4-6 or whatever).  Convenient for DMs running campaigns.

2) Packaged in theme assortments, by setting or type of environment.  Also convenient, in its way, and perhaps more marketable.

3) Always the option for a full set.  Someone will pony up for it--probably me. 

Ken MacLennan

I realize that different-sized stat blocks pose an obstacle.  But how significant an obstacle?

A little bit, back when they still made minis, they'd include a stat card with them that had the creature's game stats on them.  Occasionally, they'd clip off a power or two from what was in the MM, but overall it was useful.

A little bit, back when they still made minis, they'd include a stat card with them that had the creature's game stats on them.  Occasionally, they'd clip off a power or two from what was in the MM, but overall it was useful.

The idea of monster stat cards is great. My group and I wondered a couple years back why WOTC hadn't done something like that; then, we saw the pitifully produced, overpriced excuse for power cards and decided that one best-bang-for-your buck product [Dungeon Tiles] was the best to expect from this company. I really liked 3rd ed, love 4th ed [even though in my group we don't call it D&D], but the decisions made by this company leave me rather perplexed. Ah, well.
visit my blog about writing, voice-over,and games (and not necessarily in that order) at mdarinyoung.wordpress.com
I kind of understand the reasoning, though I admit it hasn't necessarily worked out very well.  Wizards has been looking for ways (and products) to market to players rather than prinarily to DMs, since many more people play the game than are willing to run it (even in this DM-friendly 4e era).  Hence things like Power Cards and Fortune Cards and [your class here] token sets and PHB Heroes mini packs.  But Monster Cards would probably be more useful to this smaller customer base than any of the other products have been to the wider one.

Of course, if they'd get an Encounter Builder up and running on the DDI, it could be a more than serviceable substitute.  But not everyone subscribes,so I think there's still a market.  ESPECIALLY since we don't have a working Encounter Builder handy.

Ken MacLennan

I love the limited collection of monster cards I got from buying minis, and I use them when ever I can.
I agree that using an abridged stat block for cards would work, I would also use the 3 different sizes, as long as they are the same high quality that the minis monsters cards were.

Would I buy these? Yes
Would I buy all of these? Id buy them along with there corrisponding books, or by tier or by theme... i think it would be a bit much all at once... but in time, I would "catch'em all"
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
I've been creating my own monster stat cards since the pdf of Monster Manual came out. Copy & paste image of statblock, open in image-editing program (I use CorelDraw or paint.net), size to the card I'm using - started with 3x5 cards, switched to 4x6 blank index cards - and print.  The few $ for cards and printer ink is well worth it.
In 3.5 I used The Other Game Company's monster Cards and Spell Cards heavily, but they were formatted at DDM card size, requiring a font too small to read in many cases.
Monster stat cards sized similar to the Player Character Power Cards would be good, although cards that have boxes to hold them already is better.
D&D Encounters Post-game Show podcast! http://gelatinouscubed.net/podcast-episodes/
Sign In to post comments