Flying ships and creating Earthmotes

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi I am desperately hoping someone can direct me to how to create earthmotes and creation of a Skyship?

I'd like to introduce these options to the party and want to find any existing rules rather than making up my own rules. I have some idea's based on what I can remember of the Halruaan ships and to keep things balanced but want to check the official rules first.

Any help would be appreciated.

there is a create earthmote ritual/power/somesuch,

the AV I think had airships in it but no instructions on how to build one.

you could find a lost airship somewhere along faerun
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
 Dungeon Magazine 175, page(s) 17 has something called a Dominion Ship construct stats.  Immaskari and them confounded Rock Gnomes!!  Old Spell Jammer information may be worth a peak as well.  Those pestering Githyanki and Illithids!!  Have fun and good luck!
Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like overall, WOTC havnt put anything in for actually creating an airship or floating city(as per Netheril).

I've looked at the Airship in the adventurers vault so i recon i will combine that with the dominion ship.

I am surprised WOTC havn't put more effort into rituals to make an airship, particularly with the Halruaan airships still being around, but there you go.

My players have shown an interest in making one of their ships fly and with the high style of fantasy I like the idea for the campaign.

Thanks for the help, and anything else you come up with, I'd be interested to hear it.
Our last 3E adventure featured a folding adamantine airship/boat/astral ship.  I used a standard ship design from Of Ships and the Sea which I think was 2E 1997.  I used a Caravel design dropped some of the size.  It has a Capt. Quarters was an extradimensional space with a meeting table, bunk, and desk with natical tools and maps.  The bow of the ship had a defensible area just infront of a decrative Lions head sculpture with it's mouth open.  This area lead them to discover many Immaskari Arcane Runes lined Lion's mouth.  They had to find the Lion's Stone a crystal orb Hilanter (Halaster) stoled long ago and used it for study in his wards of the Undermountain.  Once they had the Lion Stone they were able to activate a magical lever in the helm, which caused the ship to hover above water and the sails shifted in position.  The anchor on this thing had Troll Gut Rope.  They had hired henchmen for the crew.

When they first figured out how to open the ship they found skeletons of some of the previous crew in the captains quarters.  They never used it for planar voyages as they were all Barbarians with one Cleric of Tempus.  Once we went to 4E I decided I would bring it back.  Another gaming group discovered it in Tethyamar.  A large Obsidian stone rectangle covered in Ancient Arcane Runes.  This other gaming group has a clue to what it is but they haven't opened it yet.  The origional gaming group has a party of Artifact hunters, they awoke in a plague land by a river where hovers a large glowing crystal orb.  Escaping with a few scars and no memory they found out they were seeking the Lion Stone and the Adamantine Skyship from their last 3E adventure.  Only one person in both gaming groups knows what happened before and where the folding ship is located.  I have done some modifications on the ships design and function as raw magic has caused the entire vessal to glow in St. Elmose fire (Plague Fire) and it will do as such until the Lion Stone Orb is restored to the Bow.  I would tell you more on that but who know if they come here and read my rants.  

I am going to try a create a Ritual Tome for Planar Gates similar to some of the old artifact tomes this will allow for transporting the ship  into the astral sea so if they have to travel into the Abyss they have a way to the downward Spiral...I am thinking they may have to use this Tome in areas of elemental chaos spill into the realms.  The Orbs Crystal Rune Magic actually allows the ship to float on magnetic currents of the Toril.  Sails allow for speed as regular ship movement.  Rituals for the wind etc. work similar except I have thought about them reaching inertial speed in dive maneuvers.
There is also some information about motes in Dungeon 176, page(s) 70.
Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like overall, WOTC havnt put anything in for actually creating an airship or floating city(as per Netheril).

For creating floating cities there is right in the FRPG, look up the Raise Land ritual. You just need to be level 30 with an ###load of money to burn and you can have 20x20x10 miles chunk of rock as floating building ground for your own enclave

Which area you might increase with dm approval (as beeing on a flow of strong magic current/using unique equipment-ex:focusing through the staff of Iolaum/having unique knowleadge-ex:nether scrolls.... etc etc)
I dont think theyve detailed how to create Skyships in 4e, but by 3e standards, you needed to be 15th level and itd cost you 400,000 gold.

heres an interesting tid bit from 3e's Shining South:

"The magic of a skyship comes in multiple parts. Essential is the control rod, a narrow cylinder of silver with a tube of gold slipped over each end, which is linked to the plates on the ship’s belly. These ten plates contain the magic that causes the vessel to rise into the air (a larger ship requires more plates). The rod amplifies the will of the ship’s helmsperson and there by controls the vertical movement of the ship, allowing the vessel to rise and fall at a speed of 45 feet. While most of the ship’s horizontal movement is at the mercy of the wind, its sails, steering panels, and supplemental magic from the plates allow it to turn with clumsy maneuverability. A skyship can also enter and sail in water and cannot be sunk so long as its magic remains intact.

Strong transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, fly, suspension; Price 400,000 gp; Weight 20 tons."

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
The netherese seemed to be quite fond of them at this stage
There is an UA Dragon 395 article on strongholds where it details a "flying fortress" lvl 23 ritual, that's a smaller, cheaper version of the Raise Land lvl 30 ritual.
http://thecordsthatbind.wordpress.com/ "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

Wizard.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? -

3.5 has the Stronghold builder's toolbook or whatever it was called.  It has flying towers (or castles).

Of course, you could have a type of rock/mineral/metal that creates an antigravity field, it pushes itself away from everything, and have floating cities tied down by heavy chains, and ships that have normal wood decks with large amounts of telekinetic powers keeping it stable...something like that.
I am a level 29 Necro-POSTER! "...And then the cheese came."
Or you could also find a Starry Compass which allows flight and plane-travel. Two such items were mentioned in Rich Baker's Corsair novel and are relatively easy to afix to any sea-faring ship. How expensive and powerful they are is hard to determind but two such ships had them in the novel (The Kraken Queen and Sea Drake) but I'd assume they're pretty darn expensive and invaulable to allow such travel.  
Or you could also find a Starry Compass which allows flight and plane-travel. Two such items were mentioned in Rich Baker's Corsair novel and are relatively easy to afix to any sea-faring ship. How expensive and powerful they are is hard to determind but two such ships had them in the novel (The Kraken Queen and Sea Drake) but I'd assume they're pretty darn expensive and invaulable to allow such travel.  

IIRC in the novel it only allowed flight (up to space flight), but not plane travel. They used it to fly to one of the smaller moons, not to travel to another plane.