Changeling Psion Build Advice

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was planning on running a Changeling Vampire, but realized that would be a bad idea, as I'd end up having to change class. Not only that, but our party is Striker-heavy. In the interest of balance, I decided to create a Controller. The Psion looked interesting, so I created one. Thankfully, the Changeling works as a Psion, so I can still scratch my Changeling itch in the process.

This is the build I've got at Level 2. I'd appreciate any input.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Changeling, Psion
Build: Shaper Psion
Discipline Focus Option: Shaper Focus
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 12, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 16

AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 16 Will: 18
HP: 34 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Dungeoneering +7, Insight +9, Perception +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +5, Endurance +2, Heal +2, History +5, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Religion +5, Stealth +1, Streetwise +5, Thievery +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Changeling Racial Power: Changeling Disguise
Changeling Racial Power: Changeling Trick
Psion Feature: Shaped Consciousness
Psion Feature: Minor Creation
: Living Missile Attack
Psion Attack 1: Dishearten
Psion Attack 1: Mind Thrust
Psion Attack 1: Living Missile
Psion Utility 2: Intellect Fortress

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Hafted Defense

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
Staff of Knives +1 x1
Giant Lizard (Draft)
====== End ======

The Staff of Knives is a RP thing, to save space. It's a lot easier to store a knife than a staff, and it's got an At-Will that lets me change it into a Staff, which I would do at the start of battle. As for the Giant Lizard, I don't have anything else to spend my money on, and several of the players apparently have mounts. I figured I'd bring in one of my own.

As a head's-up, I've got about 24 hours before I bring this guy to the table. Not much time, I know, but the switch was a last-minute thing.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
At this point, I think the Staff of Knives is pretty much set, as I already cleared it with my DM. If I was to go with something else, it would probably be the Defensive Staff, as it provides a +1 to all NADs. However, as optimal as the Defensive staff is, it's also rather boring.
Subject change: if I'm reading the Compendium correctly, when I take the Ritual Casting feat, I can choose either the Tenser's Floating Disc or Sending Ritual and add it to my Ritual book for free. Is this correct? And do I get a free Ritual Book, or do I have to buy it?
You have to buy it if you're starting at level 1. Higher level starts typically give you mundane equipment for free. At level N, you start with an N+1, N, and N-1 magic item, and gold equal to another N-1 magic item. Your DM may be using different rules there, however.

I'm starting at Level 2, so I may need to take a look at that. Could someone point out to me where it says that I start with those items, so I can say something to my DM and be able to point out where it says that?
Straight from phb 3 (pg. 81):  "You gain the ritual caster feat as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals.  YOU OWN A RITUAL BOOK.  Choose either sending or tenser's floating disk.  Your book contains that ritual, which you can use without expending components once each day.  It also contains another 1st-level ritual of your choice."

Straight from dmg (pg 143) for staring above level 1:  "For magic items, choose one item of your level +1, one item of your level, and one item of your level -1.  In addition, you have gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of your level -1."

Honestly, the rule of starting with that many items and gold is more for when you are starting at like level 6 or higher, because if you had adventured from level 1 your party would each only have 1 magic item each.  But you should show that passage to your dm and at least open a discussion, because starting with no magic items and with 100 gp is going to put you behind the power curve.
Alright. I'll run all of that by him tonight. However, in order to keep from getting an advantage over the other players, I think I'll ask for a single magic item of my level or lower. That should put me on an even footing with the others in terms of number of magic items, instead of giving me an advantage.

Also, the Character Builder gives a Level 2 character 360 Gold Pieces to work with.
I want to create a changeling psion...

How does he/she work?

My other alternative is a wizard, maybe an illusionist...