Ashes of Athas now available for home play!

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
I placed an order for Home Game Play on Chapter two. Thanks Teos for the info.

Sad that i missed the Chapter One  request window Cry
A few updates!

There is a contest on our forums to help create the next Ashes of Athas pregens!

Help us create a list of PCs in the campaign so we can feature your PC in an upcoming adventure!

We are in need of an artist for a very simple drawing of a vehicle that we can place on a battlemap. You will receive credit.

I have a question about how clear our Campaign Guide is regarding character generation and what might cause players to show up with PCs that have elements not allowed in the campaign.

Thanks, and I hope to see you soon at D&DXP!

Teos

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

For the campaign guide I would say, more bullet points, less wordiness. Highlight the things in Red that are not allowed.  Maybe make a separate page that can be a full page of character guide the full width of the page instead of 2 columns.
I was approved on 11/21 but haven't received the adventure yet, is there something I need to do before the deadline?  Thanks.

I'll prompt Dave. You should not need anything else if you were approved.

Still have not received it, I even emailed them directly by replying to my approval email.  Am I screwed?
I was approved on 11/21 but haven't received the adventure yet, is there something I need to do before the deadline?  Thanks.

I'll prompt Dave. You should not need anything else if you were approved.

Still have not received it, I even emailed them directly by replying to my approval email.  Am I screwed?

Sadly, I missed out, in similar fashion, way back with the first module. After we missed the initial adventure, I didn't bother to ask for those that came after. I appreciate the effort being made to create and distribute these, even if my group and I slipped through the cracks.

Good luck. Maybe your "pre-retirement approval" will be enough. 

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

I didn't receive it neither. No reply or anything. 
I didn't receive it neither. No reply or anything. 

Yep. That's what I got-- no response. I actually submitted a second request, thinking I'd done something incorrectly, but got no response to either request.

Such is life. As I said earlier, it's cool that the effort is being made to distribute it. The process isn't perfect, but what is?

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

I am MASSIVELY behind on this front. Between wife shattering ankle, the holidays, and this little show called D&D Experience I've just not had time to throw at it. Everybody that put their request in will receive Chapter Two.

Dave C

The Baldman

Baldman Games

I am MASSIVELY behind on this front. Between wife shattering ankle, the holidays, and this little show called D&D Experience I've just not had time to throw at it. Everybody that put their request in will receive Chapter Two.

Hey, that's good news for a lot of folks! We really appreciate the extra effort going into this offer, and we certainly can't complain with what essentially is the Ashes team doing us a huge favor.

I hope your wife is recovering well. Injured ankles are very rough. I've seen a few, being involved in sports.

Wavester,

Thanks so much for the update and everything you have done for the community at large.  Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.
Oh that's why I didn't got a reply yet. I hope your wife will recover fast.
This is indeed an insane week for everyone working/volunteering with organized play. I had a Nibenese psionicist dull my brain so I can't think of how crazy it is for Dave...

Thanks for bearing with us.

Also, we still want to hear from you on the pregen contest (until the 12th, Thursday!) and to hear about your characters. (Links are above)

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

All cool Dave

I thought it was just the Holiday vacation, but seeing there is even more to it, and that a AoA is doing us a favor, yeah nothing to complaint about. Thanks for the Organization in fact for putting this up.

And Best wishes of recovery for your wife

For those interested, we now have an updated Campaign Guide document! We added better support for rituals, a few character options, and you now level for a new Chapter even if you could not play all of the previous adventures. Thus, if you are playing Chapter 3 you will be level 5 and if you play Chapter 4 you will be level 6 - even if you are a new player.

You can find the file on our downloads page (as well as some new logsheets for Chapter 4).

We hope to have some Heroes of the Elemental Chaos preview content up soon, and will have a way to earn it for those that attend D&DXP! We will also upload the pregens that won the contest when we get a chance... so much to do before D&DXP!

Alphastream,

Don't forget to add a Chapter Four section to the AoA forums !

P.S. Waste Not, Want Not: I blew a Nature check to make Survival Days out of a defeated enemy.  The enemy was poisonous.  Can I make "fugu jerky" as a result?  Can I sell some to an Athasian Minstrel / Unwanted Guest?

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

I'll remind Dave (and thanks for reminding me!). He's likely sleeping like a bear (post-con is his winter).

As for poisonous jerky, that sounds horrible, so I'm sure your DM will allow it. Chef and Jeff's Spiced Jerky is getting a reputation, after all!

Everybody that put their request in will receive Chapter Two.

I don't know if others got their copie, but i still didn't get anything yet.

I don't know if things got out of the way and Dave started to look into it again.

I don't know if others got their copie, but i still didn't get anything yet.

Ditto

Edit: Scratch that, just got it this morning. Thanks guys!
Dave is likely just finishing his post-con slumber (or crawling out from the D&DXP sandstorm). I'll see if I can rouse him.

And, he reports all orders should be up to date today. If you don't see anything in your inbox at the end of today, please let Dave know.

Got it this afternon as well.

Thanks to the AoA Campaign Staff.   I really like the adventure ! 
Thanks! We have some really phenomenal authors, plus we gave up on sleep more than a year ago!

I wish i hadn't missed the Chapter 1 order window 
I didn't recieve anything yet.  Just dropped Dave an email, looking forward to seeing it.  Thanks for the update Alphastream1.
That's awesome alphastream. One of my players went to Gen Con and texted me after playing. He said it was pretty kick-@$$.

Hello kurmudgeon.

You contacted me and i tried to reply but your Profile resctrictions  prevented me from doing so, saying you only accept messages from friends.

You'll have to Friend me up or loosen your Profile restrictions if you want me to answer you :P  

One thing I wanted to say is that you are free to run and play older chapters. If someone else near you has a previous chapter, they can run it for you. This is obviously easier in larger metropolitan areas (primarily US), but asking around may help find someone that could run an adventure for you. If you have cons in your area that have run AoA, for example, chances are good that someone could help you set up a table of a previous chapter.

I have to send  big thanks out to Dave/Wavester.  My Hotmail account was kicking out the email due to size and he was nice enough to resend it to my Comcast account.  I also want to thank everyone on the AoA staff for their hard work and dedication to my favorite setting.
The material is so good that I would gladly pay for it.
It is our true pleasure. Thanks!

We are hard at work on Chapters 5 and 6. We think you will really enjoy how these chapters set the story up for an exciting PC-led conclusion.

Man, I'm just now through reading the whole Part 2. Really well-made adventures. I love the "story awards" and stuff and agreed I would pay for stuff like this.

The players in my non-AoA Dark Sun game are about to visit Altaruk, and I would LOVE to be able to use Altaruk info from AoA to integrate them into the city, maybe with an eye toward establishing a background for AoA play. But I missed the window for the Part 1 series when Altaruk is really introduced. Maybe a magic genie will send me the PDFs :P
I noticed the survey on purchase locations also includes questions on the types of organized play you have tried out: Wizards locations/play survey.

> I noticed the survey on purchase locations also includes questions on
> the types of organized play you have tried out:

Yes--Yes it does!  And I shamefully had to admit that I had not served my time in the Sand attempting to squash evil! Ideally, insectivore psionic evil!

So I went to the Baldman Games pages and tried to request adventure here:
  www.baldmangames.com/aoaadvreq/ 

but got a 404-page not found.

I am able to see the Where to Play page:
  www.baldmangames.com/aoawtp/

but nothing seems all that close to me.

I am VERY interested in playing Ashes of Athas--but I am not sure where to start...I do not think Ashes of Athas ran at ORCCON 2012--they did run Living Divine, I think [I spent all my time in Living Forgotten Realms].

I do not see it running any where in Southern California soon--can someone provide advice on how I can quickly jump on board?

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game

Thanks, David! A few thoughts.

I have updated the list of conventions here, since I maintain that thread.

D&D XP in Fort Wayne, IN (Jan 26-29, 2012)
Origins in Columbus, OH (May 30-June 3. 2012)
Gen Con in Indianapolis, IN (August 16-19. 2012)
Genghis Con in Denver, CO (Feb 16-19, 2012)
ConnCon in (March 16-18, 2012)
GameStorm in Portland, OR (March 22-25, 2012)
SynDCon in Washington, DC (TBD)
ComicPalooza in Houston, TX (May 25-27, 2012)
OwlCon in Houston, TX (February 3-5, 2012)

There may be additional ones. If anyone mentions them to me, I will update the list.

In addition, Chapter 3 will be available for download in the near future. There is an in-character summary of Chapter 1 available on the Ashes site. If someone wants to write a version for Chapter Two, we could post that as well. Chapter 3 ends the 2011 story arc.

Chapter 4 premiered at D&DXP and will be at Origins. While the story does pick up where Chapter 3 ended, and is impacted by what took place in previous chapters, we are starting up on what will initially feel like a new story - a mystery that appears in Altaruk with serious consequences. Because this is new, it works well for players that want to jump in at this point but don't know what took place before. As we get into Chapter 5 some of the previous chapters will have greater effects on the story, but by then new players should hopefully have a solid grounding on what is taking place in 2012.

We may also have other ways to get you into the campaign if you miss the start of Chapter 4, but no promises! Also, keep in mind that if you are in an area that has regular play you may be able to find someone that has run Chapters One-Three that could run them for you. Also, you can always ask a convention to order Ashes of Athas adventures. They are free for the con, of course. And, if you DM them you can choose between replaying or applying full credit to your PC.

wow my players are visiting the Dragon's Altar in a couple of weeks--maybe around the same time Ashes of Athas 4-2 visits it!

wish there was an NYC game!
Just ran my group through chapter 2-1 last night with my home group, starting 2-2 monday they love it!! I'm going to post feedback on the Ashes site as we get done chapters. REALLY hoping chapter 3 gets released any day. Really want to run it without much of a time gap after chapter 2 ends.
I realize that this product is meant to support Organized Play, but is there any way for players that just want additional Dark Sun material to perhaps work into their home campaign to get their hands on older material, even if there's a cost involved?  I'd love to request the latest modules, but I'm guessing that it won't integrate that well into the campaign I'm planning to start in the next month or so, nor would integrating it fit with the ongoing story and reports you're likely looking for.  Still, as someone without a ton of time to build big modules, being able to integrate scenarios into an ongoing campaign is a perfect way to simplify things.  Are there any options for regular joes that just can't get enough Dark Sun?
Characters: Hiro Hearthfoot, Halfling Bard/The Mighty Gundal, Dwarven Invoker/Kymlar Frostbreath, Dragonborn Sorcerer D&D Campaign: Dark Sun: Defense of the Heart http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/dark-sun-defense-of-the-heart
Hi Bronnzai! We completely understand and we feel that way too! I keep seeing threads on this list where DMs ask for help with something (Tyrian adventure, Kalak's Ziggurat, Under-Tyr, Altaruk, Wilderness, stuff I can't mention yet) and where I or others say "hey, check out Ashes of Athas for a way to do that". So, I do think it is of value to most DMs even when they have their own ideas for their campaign.

I also see the AD&D and 4E adventures for Dark Sun as often being only loosely connected. Ashes of Athas is arguably the longest single-story play experience the setting has had. There is some value to the setting in preserving that.

Right now the limited window is the only way (outside of playing at cons) that we can distribute Ashes of Athas. We do continue to investigate other possibilities. No promises!

Artist Jose Ortiz was awesome enough to make an argosy (mekillot-drawn caravan) terrain map for us for use in Chapter 4. He has also been awesome enough to post it on his Deviant Art page, where you can download it!

Alphastream, 2 questions probably going to finish chapter 2 in my home campaign tonight. Exactly how and what type of feedback do you want? The PDF questionnaires that came with it or do you need more? Also how to I get the feedback to you? 2nd how long till chapter 3 gets released? My guys loved chapter 2 and I'd like to get them into chapter 3 asap. They don't want to put the campaign on hold so I'm probably going to run a side quest until its released, assuming its in the near future.
Alphastream, 2 questions probably going to finish chapter 2 in my home campaign tonight. Exactly how and what type of feedback do you want? The PDF questionnaires that came with it or do you need more? Also how to I get the feedback to you? 2nd how long till chapter 3 gets released? My guys loved chapter 2 and I'd like to get them into chapter 3 asap. They don't want to put the campaign on hold so I'm probably going to run a side quest until its released, assuming its in the near future.

Hi Wemn, and thanks! We always welcome feedback on our forums - any constructive feedback helps us fine tune our future work. You don't need to share the results to the questions in that we have already written Chapters 3 and 4. If you had especially interesting results, then that tale is both fun for us and others on the forums and there is always a (small) chance we could use it in some way.

I don't know the timing on Chapter 3 being distributed. Dave will have to comment.

Thanks!

Sign In to post comments