My Casual Scepter-Chant Decklist

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
First off, sticking to two rules here. First off, is if it isn't "new card design" it doesn't go in the deck (Lightning Angels being the only exceptions), so if a "new card design" version doesn't exist, there's no way it's going in. I just absolutely hate seeing a deck that's mixed of old and new cad design. The other rule is flat out, not getting old school dual lands, or Force of Wills for the deck. I'm willing to put money into this deck, but not that much. I don't get to see very much (or none) tournament play. My friends just casually play "casual" with whatever cards they have, which, in all truth Legacy format as I see it. So, this is my casual R/W/U Scepter-Chant decklist:

4 Lightning Angel
4 Meddling Mage (Alara)
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath (Divine vs. Demonic)
1 Akroma, Angel of Fury 

4 Orim's Chant (DCI Promo)
4 Fire//Ice (FNM Promo)
4 Mana Leak
4 Brainstorm (Coldsnap Reprint)

4 Wrath of God
2 Distant Memories/Fact or Fiction (Jace vs. Chandra)

4 Isochron Scepter
2 Ajani Vengeant 
2 Oblivion Ring

2 Sacred Foundry
2 Hallowed Fountain
4 Flagstones of Troikar
4 Plains
3 Mountain
3 Island
4 Arid Mesa
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge

And I know, it's "62" cards, but whatev. The Akromas are in there because they're fun to sometimes draw into and drop on the board. While the deck "can" pull of the "Scepter-Chant lock" It isn't wholeheartedly set on doing so. If I can pull it off, awesome. If not, I can still play R/W/U control, wiping the board with wraths, taking out key parts of combos with counters, and o-rings. Continually tapping out stuff with a Fire//Ice on a stick, and with Ajani, slowly building up for land destruction.

I have yet to actually play it, but I have a good deal already ordered and on the way via mail. My chants, Ajanis, Akromas, Fire//Ice, and Meddling Mages. But I was looking for input on my open 2-of-slot, that will either be Fact or Ficiton, or Distant Memories. I really do like both, and am having a difficult time deciding which to run. Memories lets me tutor, or draw 3. If I really want to draw 3, I can dig out a scepter, or chant, because no one wants me to have either. And if they do let me have it, I'm halfway done establishing the lock. Fact or Ficiton let's me dig 5 down, and nets me 1-3 cards.. Really unsure here.

So, any ideas? Comments? 
Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun!
I have something similar. It originally started out as mono white control with the scepter but later turned into a U/W control 

You can get the FNM promo counterspell.   

That allows me to bring in some permission magic and the Thopter combo. Which needs Thopter Foundry and Sword of the Meek

I only run two scepters because drawing multiple scepters is serious card disadvantage nor is there that many spells to imprint onto it.
Instead is run 4x Enlightened Tutor which can get me both my scepter and thopter combo pieces. Also fetches for Humility which is one of the few cards that can work against Emrakul and Progenithus. Since the decks hits with tokens, I also run Ensnaring Bridge. But these are old cards.

Fact or Fiction nets you more cards since you are not running that many cards. If you have all your mages or angels out, you would have control of the game already.

I would lose red altogether. Its basically there for Fire/Ice which can be easily replaced by even better Swords to Plowshares and the two Akromas are basically unplayable while im sure theres something better than Lightning angel. Something that doesn't require triple color mana. A mono white angel like Baneslayer Angel would be much better.

Might be worth while to put in Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top
I'd go with the Thopter Foundry combo, Enlightened Tutors, and singletons. I'd also switch the Mana Leaks for
Remands which are gg on a stick.
+4 Swords to Plowshares [Coldsnap Reprint] / [Elspeth vs Tezzeret]
+3 Muddle the Mixture [RAV] Pseudo Tutor and Counterspell, fetches both pieces to Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek
+3 Counterspell [Jace vs Chandra] / [FNM]
+3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant [Alara] / [Elspeth vs Tezzeret]
+4 Mishra's Factory
+2 Thopter Foundry
+1 Sword of the Meek

Fact or Fiction > Distant Memories

-4 Meddling Mage
-4 Lightning Angel
-2 Akroma, X
-2 Wrath of God
-4 Mana Leak
-4 Fire // Ice