What Monster Builder do the designers use?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
We get articles with monster stats in them.  Rodney Thompson was even able to convert from third edition and make his own stat blocks for 4E.  So, my question is simple,

~Teo

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

We get articles with monster stats in them.  Rodney Thompson was even able to convert from third edition and make his own stat blocks for 4E.  So, my question is simple,

~Teo

An interesting question.  But statblocks are really easy to fill out when you have the template, so it's quite possible they don't use any at all.

Celebrate our differences.

True...

They may have their own tools. I've heard they have some internal tools that are made for them (not polished for external use).

Looking at the output, it has always looked like the Classic MB. Sometimes I see the mistakes that the Classic MB produces!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Alphastream1,

That they use the Classic MB was my suspicion aswell.  Ironically, they expect us to use the new one.  You see, i was waxing creative after reading the awesome Converting the Lich Queen's Beloved!  Rodney Thompson was making it sound so easy to level up the monsters when it hit me that it couldn't be the online version unless they had a version better than ours!

~Teo

Ironically, they expect us to use the new one.

No they don't.  They are well aware that it's not complete, which is why the old one is still available.

Jharii wrote,

"No they don't.  They are well aware that it's not complete, which is why the old one is still available."

The unbolded part makes sense, but the bolded part does not.  In this case, your logic is illogical.  The 'online version' has been updated, the offline one has not.

But I admit my own logic in your quote of mine is illogical aswell.  I should of said thet expect us to use the offline one before a certain point and the online one after a certain point.

in other words we are both wrong because each of us took an extreme instaed of the middle road.  For that, I apologize.

`Teo

If they are using the classic MB, I wonder if they are using the "updated" one that introduced all the nasty bugs and disappearing triggers? Probably not. Which makes me think they're using a truly updated version without the bugs. A version that was not released to the public.
Style75,

What you say has merit.

The online Monster Catalog was released for the VT Beta Testers to have a way to test the importing of Monsters into the VT.  There was an outcry that why should just the Beta Testers have access to it so they let every DDi account have access to it.  It was never released as anything more than what it is called currently a Monster Catalog.  The offline tool is still listed as a Monster Builder.

The online Monster Catalog is where the Monster Builder will be once they add the Builders functionality to the Catalog.

The online Monster Catalog was released for the VT Beta Testers to have a way to test the importing of Monsters into the VT.  There was an outcry that why should just the Beta Testers have access to it so they let every DDi account have access to it.  It was never released as anything more than what it is called currently a Monster Catalog.  The offline tool is still listed as a Monster Builder.

The online Monster Catalog is where the Monster Builder will be once they add the Builders functionality to the Catalog.

So, if we accept your statement, then the Offline Monster Builder is in fact the one and only current builder available from WotC. But it has recieved no meaningful support in roughly a year now. (They've made two updates in that time, one broke it, the other removed content without fixing any of the significant bugs the first had introduced.)

So what you're saying is that they haven't issued any meaningful support for any monster builder in over a year, despite both current releases being badly broken or useless, and yet they still claim to have a monster builder. Have I got that?
Jharii wrote,

"No they don't.  They are well aware that it's not complete, which is why the old one is still available."

The unbolded part makes sense, but the bolded part does not.  In this case, your logic is illogical.  The 'online version' has been updated, the offline one has not.

But I admit my own logic in your quote of mine is illogical aswell.  I should of said thet expect us to use the offline one before a certain point and the online one after a certain point.

in other words we are both wrong because each of us took an extreme instaed of the middle road.  For that, I apologize.

`Teo

I said it was still available.  I never said they were still updating and supporting it.

So what you're saying is that they haven't issued any meaningful support for any monster builder in over a year, despite both current releases being badly broken or useless, and yet they still claim to have a monster builder. Have I got that?

So you're claiming that the downloadable builder is "badly broken".  Have I got that?

I guess it's a matter of opinion then.  I've built every monster in my campaign custom using said builder for 2 1/2 years.  The only thing that would have been different is that I could have made my monsters just a little bit faster without the bugs.  There was nothing that made it non-functional.
Then why not provide an update for the offline version?
Then why not provide an update for the offline version?

Do you honestly not know the answer to this?
Jun 10, 2011 -- 3:47PM, Mithreinmaethor wrote:

"The online Monster Catalog was released for the VT Beta Testers to have a way to test the importing of Monsters into the VT.  There was an outcry that why should just the Beta Testers have access to it so they let every DDi account have access to it.  It was never released as anything more than what it is called currently a Monster Catalog.  The offline tool is still listed as a Monster Builder.

The online Monster Catalog is where the Monster Builder will be once they add the Builders functionality to the Catalog."

The Bolded part is a lie.  For some reason one misinformed person is making others misinformed, etc, etc.

This is an email annoncement WotC sent some time ago:

Dear D&D Insider™ Subscriber,

On March 22, Wizards of the Coast will begin rolling out the new web-based

Adventure Tools for D&D Insider, starting with the launch of the brand new

D&D Monster Builder. Creating new monsters, customizing existing ones and

building your adventures will be easier than ever before. On launch day, just log

in to your D&D Insider account, click on the Adventure Tools button and give

the new Monster Builder a try.

Here are some additional highlights:

· New Design: Completely redesigned, the new Monster Builder will debut with

3,700 monsters - including Dark Sun Creature Catalog and Monster Vault

entries.

· No Download: The Monster Builder is served from the D&D site

· PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight

plug-in

· Import Function: You can easily import your content created in the previous

version to the new version

· Save Functionality: All content you create is saved to our database and is

accessible through your D&D Insider account

So, there you go, the TRUTH, straight from WotC.

~Teo

There is a lot of assumption in these posts that has no basis. WotC isn't one single hive-mind. One individual might very well decide that the MB will be released online with xyz functionality. The next person might decide it should not. As in most companies, they have problems coordinating their communications - particularly with such open teams. We don't know anything about what is taking placed behind the scenes. "Lying" is unlikely to be the correct term to use.

I know for a fact that WotC is filled with gamers (shock, real people!) like us that would love a great MB tool. But, there are also business decisions, staffing decisions, business priorities, etc. Maybe you work at a perfect company, but what happens at WotC isn't phenomenally different from what I see (I consult with many different clients, so I see the tech workings of various companies, partners, software development projects, service providers, etc.).

That doesn't mean I like were we are. I don't. I want a fully supported MB. I hate that the communications in January are completely different from what we received. I hate that the playtest group told them this wasn't acceptable only to have the same thing released. I hate that we were just promised more (without a definition) and then it was further delayed. But, I also understand the difficulties involved.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Alphastream1,

I agreed with you back when they removed LFR content from the offline builder (a sore spot for both of us) and I agree with you now.

i have good friends that work at WotC.  I'm not disparaging them.

That's why i quoted Mithreinmaethor.

I even went so far as to bold the part of his statement that I thought was a lie, or at the very least a lie that grew from misinformation.  At no point in my post did I call WotC a lier.

It's just that there are many people on these boards making assumptions, misinformed, or outright lying about what the MB was and wasn't supposed to be.

Mithreinmaethor said:

"It was never released as anything more than what it is called currently a Monster Catalog."

I just posted WotC email to prove his statement was/is false.

I'm Not calling WotC a liar. 

~Teo

P.S. - all this time and I still don't know how to properly quote someone, can you show me please (this is NOT sarcasm, I honestly don't know how)? Embarassed

P.S. - all this time and I still don't know how to properly quote someone, can you show me please (this is NOT sarcasm, I honestly don't know how)? Embarassed

[.quote]Quoted material here[./quote]

Without the periods.

[]Without the periods.[/]

[]Without the periods[/]

ty Jharii

~Teo

I hope that helped.    Also, if you click the Quote button (top right of a post), it will start your reply with that post already quoted.  

Multi-quote...  nobody knows how that works.   

[qouote]I hope that helped.    Also, if you click the Quote button (top right of a post), it will start your reply with that post already quoted.  [qouote]I hope that helped.    Also, if you click the Quote button (top right of a post), it will start your reply with that post already quoted.  

[qouote]I hope that helped.    Also, if you click the Quote button (top right of a post), it will start your reply with that post already quoted.  [qouote]I hope that helped.    Also, if you click the Quote button (top right of a post), it will start your reply with that post already quoted.  

ok quote button was easier brackets were a nightmare, thanks Jharii

~Teo

~Teo

Glad I could help. 

~Teo

Glad I could help. 

Me Too

~Teo

Sign In to post comments