So utterly and completely confused

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
All I want to do is organise and DM some LFR events at a store near me that is setup specifically with space to do so and yet I can't for the life of me fathom how to go about it.

I know I can just rock up and play an LFR game anywhere I want with whoever I want, but I'm TRYING to do it 'officially' as part of the WPN.

I have my judge cert and herald DM pass but beyond that, I'm totally lost as to what to do. The store would love to have me DM official events there but they've basically given up on WotC because they've been trying to get Encounter material for months with no result. I can't find guidelines anywhere or any rules of conduct or any contact lists or just freaking ANYTHING about setting up a regular weekly store event, let alone doing Encounters.

I've looked everywhere I can and asked as many people as I know and I'm still coming up short for answers. Please help. 

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

I have not done it myself, but I think that this is where you sign up for the Wizards Play Network:
www.wizards.com/WPN/Join.aspx
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Step 1: get WPN number

You need to get a card from your store and then go here.

webapp.wizards.com/activation.aspx

Step 2: get your WPN account authorized as an organizer for your store

Step 3: schedule WPN events

membership.wizards.com/login.aspx
Step 1: get WPN number

You need to get a card from your store and then go here.

webapp.wizards.com/activation.aspx

Step 2: get your WPN account authorized as an organizer for your store

Step 3: schedule WPN events

membership.wizards.com/login.aspx

Ok, this seems like it's an uphill battle as my FLGS hasn't a clue about the whole WPN thing even though they've got space specifically for WPN events.

It used to be that I could run 'home' LFR games but even though I have my Judge cert, I can't seem to sanction a home game and therefore I can't get access to the modules. How do I get access to the modules if my store can't 'authorise' me? 

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

It used to be that I could run 'home' LFR games but even though I have my Judge cert, I can't seem to sanction a home game and therefore I can't get access to the modules. How do I get access to the modules if my store can't 'authorise' me? 

You no longer need to "sanction" home play of LFR -- the whole system was changed late last year, and retail store play (through the WPN) is now pretty much the only sort of play which needs to go through official sanctioning. 

Now, for non-retail play, you just go to www.livingforgottenrealms.com/ and download the modules directly from there.  Note that certain modules aren't on LFR.com; they're in the "LFR Adventure Archive", which is a big .ZIP file hosted by WotC, but LFR.com has a link to where you can get the Archive.

At any rate, other than the ADCP modules, which are specifically for public play only, you can run any other LFR module without WPN sanctioning.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Ah, ok, cool, thanks.

This kinda stuff really needs to be spelled out somewhere consistently. I mean, maybe I've missed where it is spelled out, but it certainly hasn't been for lack of looking; I've gone through every possible link I could find on Wizards.com and the WPN site and been able to find none of this information. 

Yeah, since it's not part of WPN play, it's not going to be listed there (which, unfortunately, may mean that the info has "slipped through the cracks" for those who were looking there for it).

The changes were listed on the LFR group when they were made -- there's a different board / group here on Wizards.community which is now the official LFR message boards -- this particular board is an old, "legacy" board from before the current board structure was created.  The new boards are moderated by the LFR campaign staff, and feature a blog and wiki which you may also find useful.  (They also get a lot more message traffic than this old board.)

The new group and boards are located here:
community.wizards.com/lfr

(Note that you may need to request permission to join the group.)