Ranger and Twin Strike

410 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any reason NOT to take this at first level?  If so, what 2 at-wills would be best for 1st level?

I've always assumed it was a no brainer, but an experienced player is saying not to take it. What am I missing?
Any reason NOT to take this at first level?  If so, what 2 at-wills would be best for 1st level?

I've always assumed it was a no brainer, but an experienced player is saying not to take it. What am I missing?

Your experienced player is wrong.  Always take Twin-Strike.  It is the most powerful Striker at-will in the game bar none.  It is equally good for two-weapon rangers and archer rangers.

-Polaris
If your goal is to actually do damage, then yes you should take Twin Strike.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

That so-called "experienced player" has Low. System. Mastery. All there is to it.

I like Twin Strike for your go to at will and Maruader's Rush for those situations when you can't Twin Strike.
...an experienced player is saying not to take it.

Echoing the above posters, I'm going to call into question the supposed "experience" of this player. Twin Strike is about as good as at-will powers get before they become broken. Granted, there was a brief period of time when Martial Power 2 first came out when taking Throw and Stab combined with Marauder's Rush was also acceptable, but it didn't take them too long to errata that.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

I like Twin Strike for your go to at will and Maruader's Rush for those situations when you can't Twin Strike.

Can't twin strike.. such as? If you have a standard action available, Twin Strike should be used. Your other at-will should be something that allows you to break away if needs be (such as Fading Strike and Nimble Strike).

Cause it'll quickly becomes boring as it's the only attack you'll use?  Cause you're playing with a minotaur wizard, a goliath rogue, and a gnome not-illusionist, and don't want to steal the spotlight?

But yea, it's one of the most powerful at-wills in the game.  Only eldrich strike or swordburst might be more so.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Cause it'll quickly becomes boring as it's the only attack you'll use?  Cause you're playing with a minotaur wizard, a goliath rogue, and a gnome not-illusionist, and don't want to steal the spotlight?

But yea, it's one of the most powerful at-wills in the game.  Only eldrich strike or swordburst might be more so.

In other words, if you're purposefully trying to fail.

Not everyone play's D&D to win.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

No one plays D&D to fail, though, which is exactly what you're doing if you play a Ranger without Twin Strike.

Not everyone play's D&D to win.

True, but at some point you have to wonder just what the heck you were on when you came up with the idea of playing some of those combos.  I'm all for playing what you want to play, but there's a point where your beautiful, unique snowflake just ain't getting the job done.  Or to put it another way, the important thing about cookie cutters is that they make perfectly shaped cookies.

Actually -- if you are an archer ranger who has maxed out dexterity to 20, you might be better off with Careful Strike rather than Twin Strike at the very lowest levels.  Once you get a magic bow, you should consider retraining Careful Strike to Twin Strike.
Actually -- if you are an archer ranger who has maxed out dexterity to 20, you might be better off with Careful Strike rather than Twin Strike at the very lowest levels.  Once you get a magic bow, you should consider retraining Careful Strike to Twin Strike.

I believe, based on the DPR calcs I've seen, even Twin Strike wins by a narrow margin here
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

You forgot hunter's quarry.

Gives the edge to twin-strike.

guides
Power
my builds

Eh, I built a ranger that was quite good without twin-strike... but then the entire goal of her build was 'butt-kicking without twin-strike' and was built quite specifically to be better off with other at-wills, so that's really more the exception rather than the rule, and she still wasn't quite as good at damage as a more standard ranger with twin-strike, although she was a fair bit more mobile and a better 'skirmisher'

Twin Strike beats Careful Attack every time. The extra attack is roughly equal to a +5 to hit. There have been countless threads on this subject.

@mellored

Taking Twin Strike isn't playing to win. It's accepting the fact that the class is built around it. Not taking it severely hurts you. 
Can't twin strike.. such as?

Such as when you don't have high DEX and you have to charge in order to reach your target.

Such as when you don't have high DEX and you have to charge in order to reach your target.

That kind of situation shouldn't be common enough that you sacrifice your second at-will for that, though.

That kind of situation shouldn't be common enough that you sacrifice your second at-will for that, though.

Slowed, Dazed, and just the openning round of an encounter are pretty common situations in which a melee type can't twin strike but can charge.

And what do you mean 'sacrifice' your second at-will. In this case you're chosing an at-will that is useful in situations where your main at-will is not. And what at-will would you take in its place? Obviously you have choices, but some of us like Marauder's Rush for that second at-will. 

That's just not true. The majority of TWF rangers not based around Stormwarden will encounter this situation often enough. Frankly, I can't justify using a standard action to MBA and shift 2 or whatever it is you would replace Marauder's Rush with.

Really really like using a shield.

Only have one arm.

Um... your character has a brother and it would be bad to be constantly striking him.

*scratchs head*

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

That's just not true. The majority of TWF rangers not based around Stormwarden will encounter this situation often enough. Frankly, I can't justify using a standard action to MBA and shift 2 or whatever it is you would replace Marauder's Rush with.

For a melee build, I'd just prefer Fading Strike a lot more as a secondary. I see this situation a lot more (for not using Twin Strike).
For a melee build, I'd just prefer Fading Strike a lot more as a secondary. I see this situation a lot more (for not using Twin Strike).

The problem is, it doesn't provide you a "gain" of anything. You can already shift away from enemies by default with a simple move action, and I simply can't think of a single case where a melee ranger would be so scared of what he's fighting that he'd want to hit it and shift away rather than just Twin Strike it.

I can, however, think of several occasions where the ranger is dazed or proned, and not adjacent to a melee target with which he/she can Twin Strike. In fact, I would say this sort of situation can occur in the majority of designed encounters.

It furthermore gives the ranger something cool to do with the Warlord in their party who's granting charges through encounter/daily powers.  

Really really like using a shield.

Only have one arm.

Um... your character has a brother and it would be bad to be constantly striking him.

*scratchs head*

What if you're striking with him/her (hey, nothing saying twins have to be same sex, or that you can't do this with a girl) rather than at him/her? Laughing

I actually forgot that Fading Strike is dex based, too. I've never built a ranger that didn't do str/dex, as a non-Stormwarden is like against my religion. :P
I use throw & stab as my secondary, but I'm carrying a Farbond Spellblade. This build is not for everyone, but T&S is very nice for situations like getting knocked prone and not adjacent to my quarry (or dazed & not adj).
I actually forgot that Fading Strike is dex based, too. I've never built a ranger that didn't do str/dex, as a non-Stormwarden is like against my religion. :P

Yeah. I totally didn't even look at Fading Strike to see what it did. I thought I could recall from memory well enough. I personally just don't care for how the Stormwarden damage bonuses function though. 2xDex per round doesn't really appeal to me. I suppose if you're already dumping Wis for Dex, then at that point, Marauder's Strike provides exactly nothing to your character. 
twin strike is probably the best at will in the game, its able to hit 2 minions or hurt 1 guy, its the best way to boom out DPR without a polearm momentum/kulkor/eldritch strike or the scout (who basicly can only twin strike, he just gets his modifiers both times)

but the ranger doesent become useless without it, i think some people here are overstating how great it is,

also at low levels you can really get screwed, 2d12+1d6 can end up with 30 damage on 1 turn but ive seen guys who bring their twin strikers to the table and just roll crap doing 3-7 damage each turn for an encounter which can suck

i think that when you avrage numbers and potential twin strike is the best at will avaliable but there are times where you will feel useless using twin strike

And what at-will would you use in such a situation?  Marauder's Rush?

You'd not get Twin Strike, and severely hurt your damage in the vast, VAST bulk of fights, in order to get a secondary/tertiary stat to damage on charge attacks?

Yeah, no.

Edit:  Ah, I see.  You mean choosing MR as "the other thing"

Sorry, I just can't see extra damage on charges to be as good as some of the mobility-enhancing at-wills that provide you with actually different function for your at-will.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Other's have already said, but Marauder's Rush is the str/wis based ranger goto secondary at will of choice.  It happens enough in my games that I'm forced to charge due to not being adjacent to anything after my move action.  Definitely not the only choice, but certainly useful and the one I like best.
From what I've seen it pretty much comes down to Marauder's Rush or Throw and Stab as your second at-will, both are useful IMO
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Yeah. I totally didn't even look at Fading Strike to see what it did. I thought I could recall from memory well enough. I personally just don't care for how the Stormwarden damage bonuses function though. 2xDex per round doesn't really appeal to me. I suppose if you're already dumping Wis for Dex, then at that point, Marauder's Strike provides exactly nothing to your character. 

Stormwarden DPR is just too good to resist, though. They're as nasty as it gets. Plus, I have a thing for DEX based classes.
I don't have a preference Dex or Wis for Ranger. Both are solid depending on your builds
There are some interesting options involving Throw and Stab as the primary with a big two-handed weapon with the heavy thrown property and Twin Strike(ranged only) as the secondary as a Str/Dex character. The major issue is amplifying Throw and Stab via a decent melee basic such as Righteous Brand, Eldritch Strike, Overwhelming Strike, Lashing Flail or something else. Making the weapon thrown just needs Hungry or a couple of other magic weapon properties.

Cahulaks basically trade the +3 of Spiked Chain for the Heavy Thrown property. Lashing Flail feat makes it Slide 1 and that opens up a bunch of possibilities. Human Hybrids can pick up both sides and make it work spectacularly. Half-Elves/Revenants can be pure Rangers with the other option, but neither of them are great at Str, so it doesn't work out so well.
No one plays D&D to fail, though, which is exactly what you're doing if you play a Ranger without Twin Strike.

Because a ranger without Twin Strike is worse than an Avenger without a Weapon attack.

EDIT: /sarcasm

I'm not saying that TS isn't the most OP at-will in the game, it's just so [expletive deleted] boring.

Is it truly impossible to build a decent ranger without it?

Or does dropping Twin Strike put you below the oAssassin?
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
Not using Twin Strike as a Ranger is like playing a Fighter that uses Dagger and Shield but it otherwise specced as a "power" or "heavy blade" warrior.  Sure you can do it, and you might even have limited success, but why?

-Polaris   
Not using Twin Strike as a Ranger is like playing a Fighter that uses Dagger and Shield but it otherwise specced as a "power" or "heavy blade" warrior.  Sure you can do it, and you might even have limited success, but why?

-Polaris   

No other reason than "sticking it to the man"? :P Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.
Not using Twin Strike as a Ranger is like playing a Fighter that uses Dagger and Shield but it otherwise specced as a "power" or "heavy blade" warrior.  Sure you can do it, and you might even have limited success, but why?

I'm not saying that TS isn't the most OP at-will in the game, it's just so [expletive deleted] boring.

I agree with Darkwolf 100%. I played a Ranger once, for only a few sessions, and nearly cried every combat. It was just so darn repetitive which made it extremely boring. It's the only class that I actually disliked playing.

There were some decent elements. It had its moments. But, I'd like to repeat Darkwolf's question: How gimped are you really making yourself if you go without Twin Strike? I believe the Ranger would be a fun class without Twin Strike but if I'm going to play it, I'd like to know that I can still do it without being behind the oAssassin in dpr. 

(Note: I'm not making fun of those who enjoy the Ranger as-is. More power to you! I enjoy having a Twin Striking ranger at my LFR tables. It's just that I, personally, find it to be incredibly monotonous.) 
If you want a good non-monotonous character, I suggest sticking to leaders and controllers.

Basically this. Most strikers stick to a basic formula and a go-to power.
If you want a good non-monotonous character, I suggest sticking to leaders and controllers.

Basically this. Most strikers stick to a basic formula and a go-to power.

Only because it's easy to figure out how to max damage.
But, I'd like to repeat Darkwolf's question: How gimped are you really making yourself if you go without Twin Strike? I believe the Ranger would be a fun class without Twin Strike but if I'm going to play it, I'd like to know that I can still do it without being behind the oAssassin in dpr.

You'll still be a striker (i.e. more then a warlock).  You just won't be a top striker.

guides
Power
my builds

Sign In to post comments