The Diplomancer

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings, first time poster here. [ Laughing woot.]

So I have a dream, a dream that one might be able to turn every combat encounter into an opportunity to build an army.

I need to build the 4e equivalent of a diplomancer, a being so adept at making friends and influencing people that a raging Ogre might become his trusted champion. Remember 3.5e, when this was easy?

Essentials: High Cha, some way of using diplomacy checks effectively mid-combat (Fast friends, master diplomat, befriend--these are good things), and some way of being useful outside of talking the NPCs into fanatical support.

Thoughts?

Edit: I may be making this harder than it ought to be. :P
You've hit the big points.

Very hard to beat a bard in diplomacy.  I think half-elf have a few more feats for it.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Here's the half-elf version. Maybe with a more specific build we can get a discussion going? :P

For flavor reasons, I wish this had warlock in it. Suppose I could dump a feat to multi-class...

Show

Diplomancer, level 11
Half-Elf, Bard, Half-Elf Emissary
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor
Background: Waterdeep (Waterdeep Benefit)
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 20.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 19 Fort: 16 Reflex: 20 Will: 21HP: 75 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Perception +12, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +19, Insight +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +10, Heal +11, History +13,
Intimidate +14, Nature +11, Religion +13, Stealth +9, Streetwise +14, Thievery +9, Athletics +9

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Adept Dilettante
Level 2: Master Communicator
Level 4: Friendly Deception
Level 6: Envoy to the Fey
Level 8: Bardic Knowledge
Level 10: Bard of All Trades
Level 11: Building Camaraderie

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
Bard at-will 1: Cutting Words
Dilettante: Opening Shove
Bard encounter 1: Fast Friends
Bard daily 1: Sprightly Rhythm
Bard utility 2: Master Diplomat
Bard encounter 3: Impelling Force
Bard daily 5: Song of Discord
Bard utility 6: Haggle
Bard encounter 7: Deflect Attention
Bard daily 9: Saga of Vengeance
Bard utility 10: Insightful Comment

ITEMS Ritual Book
RITUALS Comprehend Language, Glib Limerick, Fool's Speech

Thanks in advance for pointers.
No pointers really, though I must say, I do like the idea you're working up here. What ED would you be after though; perhaps Hordemaster?
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Enchanter Mage, Arcana, the ability to use Arcana in place of Diplomacy is the best way, mechanically, to pull this off imo.
Enchanter Mage, Arcana, the ability to use Arcana in place of Diplomacy is the best way, mechanically, to pull this off imo.

Alcestis is right of course, and that's a similar idea we're drafting up on the Wizard thread, though I do think a Half-Elf Bard/H-E Emissary/Hordemaster would be a fine alternative.  
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Changeling or "the  paragnon dragonborn that has the same power that the changeling"

Faulty memory Bluff slkill power lvl 6

Best way to friend your enemies... decieve them

Speak with Spirits gives untyped wis bonus to skill checks and can be had with the Spirit Talker feat.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

Well, i guess the question is... are we optimizing for 1 roll per day?  per encounter? or at-will?

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It's got to be at-will. However, having nova encounter or daily potential wouldn't be bad.
Changeling or "the  paragnon dragonborn that has the same power that the changeling"

Faulty memory Bluff slkill power lvl 6

Best way to friend your enemies... decieve them

You are referring to the Mercurial Assassin paragon path. The level 12 utility is essentially an upgraded version of Changeling Disguise since it can also change your clothing and equipment.

However, the path itself doesn't do anything else pertaining to diplomacy and the other powers and some features are either dex-based or use dex-based skills.
It's got to be at-will. However, having nova encounter or daily potential wouldn't be bad.

Then (i think) that rules out arcana-as-diplomacy.

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
Power
my builds

Half-elf Elatded Ardent with Elated Emotions (PHB3), and Half-Elf Emissary Paragon Path (AP) adds +Cha and +Con modifier to the diplomacy checks of allies, good for bolstering your designated diplomat.  Then you get the "Building Camaraderie" feat from Dragon 386 so that every time you succeed on a diplomacy check, you gain a +1 bonus to all diplomacy checks, cumulative with itself.  While Words of Friendship is nice, you can do equally well with the Befriend skill power (PHB3), which adds a +5 power bonus to all diplomacy and bluff checks against a particular target until the end of the encounter, and does so on an encounter basis.  Also get the Master Diplomat power from Dragon 389 for those rare failures.
One of the players in my upcoming group expressed his desire to play a 'party face,' and this was the first thing that came to mind. We bounced the idea around and he agreed that the Diplomancer is the build for him. He's firm in the fact that he wants a Half-Elf Bard/Half-Elf Emissary, so anything to further enhance upon that would be appreciated.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Are you focusing on optimizing the face aspect, or keeping the face aspect and optimzing combat?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Are you focusing on optimizing the face aspect, or keeping the face aspect and optimzing combat?

I think he's more focused on the 'face' part, being more inclined to avoid Combat through diplomatic resolution. He wants to take it to a whole different level, amassing followers and such through diplomacy. He'll eventually be taking the Hordemaster ED.

Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Here's the rough draft we came up with for his character, at our current lvl 6. (Almost lvl 7)

Also, I've finally found a use for the Gloomwrought Emissary Theme!

Half-Elf, Bard
Build: Valorous Bard
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Waterdeep (Waterdeep Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 22 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 50 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Insight +11, Perception +9, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +4, Heal +5, History +7, Intimidate +8, Nature +5, Religion +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +10, Thievery +3, Athletics +3

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Adept Dilettante
Level 2: Master Communicator
Level 4: Friendly Deception
Level 6: Skill Focus (Diplomacy)

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
Bard at-will 1: Cutting Words
Dilettante: Opening Shove
Bard encounter 1: Fast Friends
Bard daily 1: Sprightly Rhythm
Bard utility 2: Master Diplomat
Bard encounter 3: Recitation of Foreknowledge
Bard daily 5: Song of Discord
Bard utility 6: Haggle

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Amulet of Seduction +1, Harmonic Songblade Longsword +2, Imposter's Finemail +2
RITUALS
Comprehend Language, Glib Limerick, Amanuensis
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
A cherished ring gives yoiu a +2 item bonus to diplomacy, you can also take the skill focus feat for another +3 and a Circlet of the Urbane allows you to reroll.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
A cherished ring gives yoiu a +2 item bonus to diplomacy, you can also take the skill focus feat for another +3 and a Circlet of the Urbane allows you to reroll.

Thanks! We've got an Amulet of Seduction at the moment, but we're looking for anything to boost the social skills/spoken languages.
I think he'll be grabbing Reading Glasses & a Gem of Colloquy for some additional bonuses as well. Now, the +1 Bluff/Diplo isn't going to stack, since the Amulet/Gem are item bonuses, but the additional language it grants is worth it.

Anyone have thoughts on other social/language boosters?

**EDIT**
Grabbed Skill Focus (Diplomacy) for now, we'll grab Envoy to the Fey later, depending on if it's needed or not.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Bump.

Are there anymore Social Skill/language boosters?

Also, has anyone used Martial Practices? There's a lot of useful ones I'd like to figure out how to put into effect.

We may also attempt a Gnome Mage (Enchanter) version of this build, so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
You could take the Arcane Familiar feat to get a Sitak...a telepathic parrot that gives you a +2 to bluff and Diplomacy along with its 10ft telepathy to help give orders to your hoards of followers
Bump.

Also, has anyone used Martial Practices? There's a lot of useful ones I'd like to figure out how to put into effect.

We may also attempt a Gnome Mage (Enchanter) version of this build, so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

If you want to be the master of Streetwise then the Guttersnipe Theme and Prison Convert Background will net you +8.  There is a martial practice which allows you to substitute Streetwise for knowledge checks in urban areas.

If you have the MC options then consider Sorceror for Subtelty of the Green Wyrm which provides a +5 encounter long bonus not just to Diplomacy but also to Intimidate and Insight and it is not limited to a single target like Befriend.  It is unfortunately a Daily.  You could go Lorekeeper ED to turn it into an encounter power although not until level 30.

You could take the Arcane Familiar feat to get a Sitak...a telepathic parrot that gives you a +2 to bluff and Diplomacy along with its 10ft telepathy to help give orders to your hoards of followers

Now this, I like! Definitely going to put that to use if we find a free feat slot!

If you want to be the master of Streetwise then the Guttersnipe Theme and Prison Convert Background will net you +8.  There is a martial practice which allows you to substitute Streetwise for knowledge checks in urban areas.

While not necessarily needed for this build, I will however keep it in mind for my Rogue PC, thanks!

If you have the MC options then consider Sorceror for Subtelty of the Green Wyrm which provides a +5 encounter long bonus not just to Diplomacy but also to Intimidate and Insight and it is not limited to a single target like Befriend.  It is unfortunately a Daily.  You could go Lorekeeper ED to turn it into an encounter power although not until level 30.

Definitely workable, though now we're trying to see how the Enchanter/Warlock/Entrancing Mystic/Sage of Ages combo works (big Charm effects + skyhigh Arcana for those social skills), but for some reason when we MC, the builder won't let us choose Warlock PPs?

Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Bump.

The scholar theme gives you all the languages.  It's nice and very bard like.  However, not everyone plays with themes.
Bump.

The scholar theme gives you all the languages.  It's nice and very bard like.  However, not everyone plays with themes.

Now that we can work with! I wonder, what do you guys think would make the best 'Non-Combat' Optimized character? Perhaps a Human Wizard with the Scholar theme, and a background which boosts Arcana?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Bump.

Now that we can work with! I wonder, what do you guys think would make the best 'Non-Combat' Optimized character? Perhaps a Human Wizard with the Scholar theme, and a background which boosts Arcana?

If you do go the Languages route then consider Travellers Insight, it gives you an Insight bonus equal to the number of languages you speak. 
Oh wow...I just realized I put 10ft instead of 10 squares for that Sitak familiar...makes it waaaay more useful with that telepathy ^^ 
Nice. Where's Traveler's Insight from?

Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Bump.

Cunning Bard is probably the most useful out of combat.  Basically it can be effectively trained in all skills (literally through MCing or figuratively through the bard of all trades feat) and cha and int as high stats. 

Maybe Cunning Bard would work better than Valorous, we'll have to take another look and hopefully have something up this evening or tomorrow.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Sign In to post comments