Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for June, 2011

238 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of June, 2011.
Ahh, I love my Sol Rings.  A great card from the past.  A great card, but not a broken one.  An excellent bread and butter card.
Nothing can ruin my mood today after hearing this. 

I'm going to finally ask for that raise at work, and work on my dissertation that I've been avoiding. 

Best. Wednesday. Ever. 
Well now don't I feel stupid for buying $7 sol rings. :/
I can hear Sol Ring's price dropping.  But this is wonderful, it really helps to open up the format to players.  Sol Ring really is a sort of flagship staple card for EDH as a format, and it's nice to know it'll be really easy to get them for decks now.
A great card, but not a broken one.

wut

Ahh, I love my Sol Rings.  A great card from the past.  A great card, but not a broken one.  An excellent bread and butter card.

It's a completely broken card, that's why it's a must-have.  Glad we get to have it!
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
This is as close to printing Power 9 as we will (hopefully) see.

Dang. Commander is going to sell out quick.  

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I was already pretty set on buy a set of the commander decks. Now it's a sure thing.

Sol Ring's price right now almost compensates for half the price of the deck. Granted, Commander Sol Rings are probably less desirable than older printings or FTV foil ones, but it's still nice.

Also, the way the Arcana was worded, I was fully expecting some kind of silly functional reprint of Sol Ring to allow decks to play two of them. I'm very relieved that wasn't the case.
Ban sol ring.
Ban sol ring.

Ban ring sol.

Ring sol ban.

Ring ban sol.

Sol ban ring.

Sol ring ban.

If anyone in high school needs to hand in a poetry assignment tomorrow, you're free to use this.                

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

After this announcement I will stop complaining about the price of the Commander dekcs.
Way to torpedo the people who shelled out for the new art in Relics. But then again, foils don't shuffle well in decks which aren't 100% foil, so it'll be nice to have this in non-foil.

Online Sol Ring was $10 at one point. Obviously once the original appeared in ME4 it dropped to, like, $2. Now maybe < 1 ticket. We need more Wastelands, not Sol Rings. Can there be a rule that says that every Commander deck plays Wasteland too?

(I own 2 Sol Rings and 4 Wastelands online. idgaf.)
Thank you thank you thank you WoTC.
Especially for printing it with the smexy FtV:Relics art.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Am I the only one who noticed that the card of the day info is wrong. It should be Fifth Dawn, not Darksteel.
YES! Please Wizards, more reprints like these: Wasteland, Force of will etc..

Forget the Hoarders, they should have bought Options and Stock instead, praise the Players!

thank you W!
I will only say : "....  One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them ...."
Many player will buy Commander's deck for a few Sol Ring and other reprint of powerfull card that are required to play well...
Way to torpedo the people who shelled out for the new art in Relics. But then again, foils don't shuffle well in decks which aren't 100% foil, so it'll be nice to have this in non-foil.

Online Sol Ring was $10 at one point. Obviously once the original appeared in ME4 it dropped to, like, $2. Now maybe < 1 ticket. We need more Wastelands, not Sol Rings. Can there be a rule that says that every Commander deck plays Wasteland too?

I bought FTV Relics and I am fine with seeing Sol Ring in another product.  It is another card that is a staple in most decks and should be reprinted in some form, and now it is.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
That is really cool...

"Most people can't afford to put Sol Rings in every EDH deck they own. But since we're Wizards of the Coast, we'll have as many Sol Rings AS WE GODDAMN PLEASE. So from now on, every commander deck we sell is going to have a Sol Ring in it."

I actually spent 20$ on a foil FTV Sol Ring, though i'm not too bothered by it. (Even though it's the most expensive card I ever bought.)
Dark Ritual, because slow and steady does not win the race.
It is this exact like of thinking that means I typically start with null rod instead of sol ring and top when I build EDH decks.

The card makes games swingy, but I have to assume sol ring was needed to help these decks stand alone against average decks that already exist.
I have to admit that my current EDH deck doesn't include Sol Ring (but I only have one, and I haven't played EDH too much yet) and, as an Elf deck, it arguably doesn't need it. But yeah, fair enough, I should definitely remember it for any future EDH deck I build...

I'm kind of torn here: use this new Sol Ring when I get a Commander deck or two, or my old one? I assume the value of it is now relatively low if it's getting reprinted like this. In that case, it might be cool to play with the old copy, with the simple art and old card frame and all that. Feels more EDHish to have a mix of sets and stuff represented.
These will be fun with a bunch of mana Myr.

Sol Ring isn't that broken in EDH because you can only have one card of each.. That makes the nasty combos in other formats not so awful.
You made me a happy man today, WotC. Thanks.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif
Good idea Wizards, good idea.
THANK YOU WOTC! As a major EDH fan, I couldn't be more thrilled with the reprinting of Sol Ring. I preordered the set of 5 decks so I will be doing backflips everyday until they arrive
Sol Ring seems stupidly swingy to me.
It is a swingy card.
I have no problem with stupidly powerful spells.  It only bugs me when people deny the power.  I have a friend who thinks I hate balance.  But he can't get it through his head that I am only annoyed that after he takes control of a 5 player game he pretends it isn't a powerful and undercosted card.  
I use my revised sol ring for relatively innocuous acceleration in casual games, but that is only because I play with complainers.
My excitement for the Commander product has just about tripled.
blah blah metal lyrics
Good to see Wizards is exercising their right to reprint unreserved cards; some idiots who run articles for major sites scream murder at the whiff of reprinting any iconic or $20+ card so we'll probably have to sit through a few days of such drivel as a downside. You'd think this was a futures market, not a game.

I just hope stores don't start major price-gouging as more sweet new cards and reprints get spoiled. I'd actually like to see what deck I'm getting before making a choice.

I bought FTV Relics and I am fine with seeing Sol Ring in another product.  It is another card that is a staple in most decks and should be reprinted in some form, and now it is.

You misunderstood me. I don't care about the Sol Rings I own. I'm also glad that the duals were reissued in ME4 even though I already had a set of 40 after ME3.

I'm saying that the world is already drowning in Sol Rings. There are hundreds of thousands of white bordered ones. For mid-tier pimp there's the black bordered judge promo and the FTV version. And then there are the most pimp Alphas and Betas. Sol Ring was worth just two Standard-legal booster packs before this announcement. And your collection is complete with one Sol Ring, since no format lets you play more than one. Why do we need more?

I guess I'm just frustrated that this qualifies as awesome. I mean it is awesome, like when the premium burn deck had four Lightning Bolts. Sol Ring in commander is like that. But this is also a card that any EDH/eternal player is likely to have. And the pimp version is still new. Can you imagine all the copies of Sol Ring they're about to print that will never be played, just stashed, and then eventually lost?
An awesome announcement. I've already been pumped about the Commander decks, and having Sol Rings in them is really cool!

However, the flavour text on it feels cheapened. It was perfect on the Mythic Rare "From the Vaults: Relics" reprint.
I guess I'm alone in the camp of people who don't like Sol Ring.

It's a strong card, I get that.

I'm against cards that are supposed to be "auto-include." I play Commander/Singleton because I like the variance of having all kinds of different decks. I want to play 100 different cards, not 90 cards + the 10 cards everyone else is also playing and call you stupid if you don't. It's also one of those cards that can swing games straight out of the gates. And I'm not just talking about the five player game where one player gets their first turn ring. What if it's a five player game and you're the one person who DIDN'T?

That said I'm glad that if it's going to be there it's going to be easy enough to get, but still. Not good for the game in my opinion.
Preordered all 5 decks the second I saw this.

This is not the post you're looking for.

news that made my day
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Good to see Wizards is exercising their right to reprint unreserved cards...

Couldn't agree more. The most beautiful thing I've read in these forums all day. Keep it up Wizards
Good.  Now start reprinting relevant unreserved cards.
Sol Ring is an excellent card, but the only place it's important is Vintage.  Reprinting Force of Will or Sinkhole would be far more meaningful.

Hell, why not evade R&amp;D being run over by a bus, if we're digging into UnReserved?
Sol Ring is an excellent card, but the only place it's important is Vintage.  Reprinting Force of Will or Sinkhole would be far more meaningful.

Hell, why not evade R&amp;D being run over by a bus, if we're digging into UnReserved?

You know these are commander decks, right?  They aren't the "lets reprint stuff for legacy" decks.  Sol ring is an EDH staple, so it's relevant to these decks.  Sinkhole is pretty much irrelevant to EDH, and Force of Will is debatable (mostly 1v1).
"The rest of us" are damn happy to get them however we get them.
I already have my playsets of Sinkholes, but I certainly wouldn't mind everyone else getting a handfull.

I get your point, but this wasn't a reprint with the intention of underhandedly adding to the supply of an expensive legacy card. For once they're being honest about knowing the secondary market value of a card, and its staple quality. This was all about EDH.

Frankly, considering the overwhelmingly positive response (not to mention how rare it is that a move they make earns such an overwhelmingly positive response), I think this means we'll be seeing a lot more reprints designed to address secondary market prices.

Yeah, you're probably thinking "no **** sherlock, people want to be able to play with their cards", but this is incontrovertible proof for them that reprints like that are what the player community wants. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Rhox War Monk

Another "reward" card for playing in a standard tournament that is 100% useless in said tournament.

FNM prize cards are lame. 
WotC giveth, and WotC taketh away.

Sol Ring in Commander?  Yes please.  About time you guys did that.  It gets practically no play except in EDH, in which it's a staple.  And a lot of players have a hard time acquiring them.  This was a brilliant, and beautiful decision.  I can feel the love!

On the other hand...

War Monk?  Seriously?

Guys.  It's not played in any format.  It probably won't ever be played in any format ever again.  The new art blows.  And you couldn't even be bothered to put on new flavor text.  This card is a real disappointment.  :\