[WoA] Treasure items that add bonuses to attack, damage, or AC stack, right?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
My friend and I were playing, and I was the Rogue.  The rogue has an at-will range ability (presumably with his crossbow).

I had 2 items, a magical sword and a dwarven hammer or some such,  which each gives you +1 bonus  to attack rolls for adjacent enemies.

I decided to use my "ranged" attack, but I was adjacent to the target monster anyway.  I argued that all my items that give me bonuses to adjacent attacks stack and that I could use them.

He was saying that, in the spirit of imagination, if I was using my crossbow that I wouldn't be using the sword or hammer or anything and that I wouldnt' have the bonus.

He eventually let me do it, since the cards explicitly say "+1 bonus to attack rolls while this item is in play", and IMO it is always in play. 

thoughts? 
Yes they all stack.  The weapon names are just flavour and do not mean anything in game terms.
Yes they all stack.  The weapon names are just flavour and do not mean anything in game terms.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  I was taking more of a "game" approach and he with an "RP" approach.  
Tell him you duct taped the sword to the hammer, then shot the hammer out of the crossbow.

A number of my group are League of Legends players, so we get to take the joke about taping 5 swords to your champions spear outside of the video game.  (In that game, all items are just stackable stat-sticks.  You can have and "wield" 6 weapon items to beef your attack way out and be a glass cannon/hammer.  Which is more amusing when you have 6 swords/axes/hammers/etc and your character uses a bow.  Equally funny is to think about the guy wearing 3 suits of armor and wielding 3 shields.)

This is incorrect, attack and defence bonuses from items do not stack.
What rule do you base this on? I don't recall reading anything saying items or bonuses don't stack
What rule do you base this on? I don't recall reading anything saying items or bonuses don't stack

The one in the Wrath of Ashardalon Rule Book under The Treasure Deck, on page 13:

"You can benefi t from multiple Treasure Cards in play that apply to your Hero. The only exception to this rule applies to Items that provide attack or defense bonuses. A Hero can only gain one attack bonus and one defense bonus from items at a time"

well I'll be damned.  

*re-reads rule book*
Yeah, there's a lot of easily missed things in there that make a huge difference.
Tell him you duct taped the sword to the hammer, then shot the hammer out of the crossbow.

A number of my group are League of Legends players, so we get to take the joke about taping 5 swords to your champions spear outside of the video game.  (In that game, all items are just stackable stat-sticks.  You can have and "wield" 6 weapon items to beef your attack way out and be a glass cannon/hammer.  Which is more amusing when you have 6 swords/axes/hammers/etc and your character uses a bow.  Equally funny is to think about the guy wearing 3 suits of armor and wielding 3 shields.)

I love LOL Reminds me a bit of Munchkin and the Swiss Army Polearm...

The first time I played WoA I was the dwarf fighter and got the gauntlets of ogre power as my starting item. I chose sure strike as an at will, so I was pretty much dropping a baddie every turn...it was epic

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
So what would you all think about damage bonus?  I read that about attack and defense bonuses, but I would think you could have both a damage bonus like gauntlets and a plus to hit bonus like a magic sword. 
So what would you all think about damage bonus?  I read that about attack and defense bonuses, but I would think you could have both a damage bonus like gauntlets and a plus to hit bonus like a magic sword. 

That's how we play.  I have not read any rules restricting the stacking of bonuses other than attack and defense.  So bonuses to damage, speed, etc. all stack in our games.