Help Request - I've Just Made My Own Monster

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello All,
I've just sat down and made myself a monster that I’d like to throw at my group at some point. And I was hoping someone would be able to look it over and tell me if it seems balanced, as I have no one to help me play it to see how well it goes.

-----------------------------
Name: Demon Shadow
Level:3
Role: Solo Lurker
Initiative: +8                                          Speed: 8
HP: 100 200
AC: 19 17            Fort: 15            Ref: 17             Will:13
Save: +5           Action Point: 1

~Standard Actions~

Phantom Claw: At Will - Melee
+8 vs. AC; 2d6+3

Phantom Blade: At Will - Range (10)
+6 vs. Ref; 1d10+4; plus target takes -2 penalty to saves until the end of the encounter (save ends)

Phantom Explosion: At Will - Range (20) - Area (3x3)
+6 vs. Fort; 3d8+4 1d8+3; plus target pushed 3 squares and knocked prone

Phantom Double - At Will
-use any two Phantom At Will powers
-use Phantom Clam/Blade twice

Shadow Step
-Teleport to an unoccupied square within 10 that is low/un-lit (or would otherwise have a shadow cast over it)

~Encounter~

Phantom Control: Recharge [6] - Range (3)
+0 +6 vs. Will; 3d6+0 3d6+6 force damage; plus, the creature occupies the same space as the target and controls it actions target is dominated. (save ends).
Special: The creature can not be targeted while controlling target, but can die if target dies. After save, creature appears in an adjacent square to target of its choosing.

Blood Control:
Triger: When first bloodied
Action: Use Phantom Control as an imidiate reaction.

STR: 16 (+3)                DEX: 18 (+4)               WIS: 11(+0)
CON: 18 (+4)              INT: 9 (-1)                   CHA: 7 (-2)
-----------------------------

At the moment, it's only level 3 because I was trying to keep in line with the current encounter level I'm working with. I should be able to level it up easy enough later on.

So…thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~

First Edit Made 31-May thanks to Pluisje
Second Edit Made 1-June thanks to Victor_Von_Dave
Third Edit Made 3-June thanks to dave2008
It has no speed listed. As a Solo it needs a way to escape binds so I'm suggesting it gets a Teleport speed, otherwise it's just going to be pinned down and eating OA until it stops being funny.

The mind control is interesting. As the only monster in the encounter it essentially turns the battle into a case of "wait it out", or the party can kill one of their own and end the threat then and there. That stops working after level 8 though, when they could just raise the target after, unless this is a mid-game boss and not an end-game one.

Also, double Phantom Explosion would probably destroy most parties. Quadruple Phantom Explosion (with an Action point) could probably destroy the players outright in the first turn of combat. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Ah, yes. The speed i just forgot to add in. But a basic teleport would be a good idea. I could made it shadow related, like how a dryad has it tree related.
As for the double phantom explosions, that was a bad oversight. That'll be esily fixed by taking it out of the double option.
Thank you Pluisjen

I can totally picture a demon whose evil is so palpable its own shadow gains sentience and detaches to commit vile deeds of its own.  Makes a great villain and foreshadows a more powerful one to come.  Overall the monster is very cool and I like it, I would just recommend these little changes (I apologize if I write bluntly; I usually do these critiques as if I were editing something).

• I can see why you made the monster a Lurker (the shadow theme and all), but its mechanics put it more in the Controller camp – not a big deal, more of a technical quibble.

• Hit points and defenses are all good, except its AC is a little high; it should be more like 17.  An AC of 19 puts it on par with a Soldier of the same level, which is very hard to hit.

• Phantom Claw is good.

• The -2 penalty to saves for the whole encounter from Phantom Blade seems a little excessive.  Maybe it should just be save ends (and with the penalty affecting that roll you know it’s going to be sticking around for a few rounds at least).

• I’ll second Pluisjen – the damage from Phantom Explosion seems a little high.  For an At-Will that hits multiple targets it should be doing more like 1d6+5 at that level.

• Phantom double is good.

• Shadow Step is good (and extremely useful for a Solo).

• Phantom Control is very cool and could lead to an interesting and memorable encounter but I would make a few changes.  It should be +6 to hit, not +0.  Increase the damage to 3d6+3 or so.  Have it be an encounter instead of a recharge power and then you could add a trigger power that activates when the Demon Shadow became bloodied that recharged its Phantom Control and allowed it to use it immediately (like a dragon’s breath).  Also instead of controlling the targets actions, I would go with an established status effect and make it dominated (save ends).  I love the image of the shadow forcing its way into a helpless character through their eyes, nose and throat – very much like the demons from Supernatural.

Thank you Victor_Von_Dave, that's quite helpful. I should be able to make some appropriate changes from that.

All of the above were good suggestions, but shouldn't the HP for a lvl 3 solo be 200? 
(3+1)x8 = 32, +18 = 50, x4 = 200

You are probably right there dave2008. I was going by what was in the DMG, but I've been told it has been amended since it was published, either that, or i just completly buggered up the maths =p.
200 generally makes more sence for anyway. Thank you.
 FrownI have to admit I was disappointed when I entered this thread. I was hoping that "Help Request: I've just made my own monster" was to be followed with "and it has come into reality and is destroying the town in which I live, my RL magical skills are not enough to banish this creature, any advice on how to handle?"
Sorry to disapoint you there Spinecracker, but I tend to keep all my actual monsters under control. Though they do have a tendancy to get lost from time to time, they don't destroy anything without my permission. =)
You are probably right there dave2008. I was going by what was in the DMG, but I've been told it has been amended since it was published, either that, or i just completly buggered up the maths =p.

Here is the quote straight from the DMG:

"A solo has hit points equal to 8 times its level + 1, plus its Constitution score. If the solo is level 10 or lower, multiply that result by 4 for its final hit points. If it is level 11 or higher, multiply that result by 5 for its final hit points."

The only thing that has changed is they don't use x5 anymore, it is all x4.

So: level+1 is 3+1=4. 4x8 = 32.  32+18 (con score) = 50.  50x4=200hp.  Yep, 200 is correct.

Now, if it was supposed to be an Elite, then its is a different story.  For an elite you go by the chart for a standard monster and double it to 84hp.

Here is the quote straight from the DMG:

"A solo has hit points equal to 8 times its level + 1, plus its Constitution score. If the solo is level 10 or lower, multiply that result by 4 for its final hit points. If it is level 11 or higher, multiply that result by 5 for its final hit points."

The only thing that has changed is they don't use x5 anymore, it is all x4.

So: level+1 is 3+1=4. 4x8 = 32.  32+18 (con score) = 50.  50x4=200hp.  Yep, 200 is correct.

Now, if it was supposed to be an Elite, then its is a different story.  For an elite you go by the chart for a standard monster and double it to 84hp.

Well there you go. I must have missread it...or failed at the maths...or a bit of both...but i'm pretty sure i must have just missread it. I'll remember to recheck that part next time. =)