Mordenkainen's Emporium Reopens for Business?

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards...

Is this being released again or is this the old one and just hasn't been removed from WotC's website?
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
I can't find anything on the D&D page's product catalog or at Amazon.com, but its interesting nonetheless.  I checked the document properties and it was created on 5-24-2011.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

Who wants to bet that the same people who thought the cancelling of MME and other books was a sign WotC was in trouble, will say that printing them is a sign WotC is in trouble?

I'm taking bets, folks! Money mouth

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Eh my instinct is that this is just a fubar by someone who didn't get the memo that the book was pulled. But who knows maybe I'm wrong and we really will be getting such high quality rare items as the Holey(Haunted) Armor!
This looks legit. The release dates are different from what they used to be and the text is a little different. Why go through the effort to revise a product sheet for something that won't be produced?

Personally I'm very excited about this. I was really disappointed when the book was cancelled.
I was pretty sure the release dates were different but I had only heard about MME when it was going to be cancelled so didn't know the exact release of the original.
I'm sure people will complain. They complain about the HoS and they are already complaining about the Elemental Power book seen on Amazon.
Something about a box, money and WotC, I've heard.

None the less, I'm excited. And happy that things seem to be moving forward up there at HQ.
Looks like it is coming back.  Hopefully it will have rarity rules for magic items!
Eh my instinct is that this is just a fubar by someone who didn't get the memo that the book was pulled. But who knows maybe I'm wrong and we really will be getting such high quality rare items as the Holey(Haunted) Armor!

Why would you want armor that's full of holes?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Who wants to bet that the same people who thought the cancelling of MME and other books was a sign WotC was in trouble, will say that printing them is a sign WotC is in trouble?

I'm taking bets, folks!

On the contrary, if this does make it to press it's a sign of recovery; I'm not going to try to spin it otherwise.  It is confusing, though, why they'd announce it as "cancelled" telling us we'd see the content in other formats, then turn around and uncancelling it.  This appears to be another direction change, but it's too early to intuit what exactly it means for D&D just yet.  The naming of the new "Elemental" book is further evidence of this shift, but again, to early to say what exactly it means.

My gut is optimistic: I feel like any direction other than the one we've been on the last year would be an improvement.  I suppose it's possible the game could get diddled even further, but I really really hope not.
I'd love for this to be true. Especially with other threads saying the original Adventure's Vault being totally out of print. But I have to remain skeptical. Anyway, here's hoping...

Why would you want armor that's full of holes?

It isn't full of holes, it just has one.....apparently over a vital point because the hole was made by a blow that killed the previous owner. And why would you want it? Because the Haunted Armor is the rare item that you DM gives you that tier? Frankly I don't think any character I've ever made would wear it, but hey it was the item that the devs decided to use as an example fo the rare items in the book when it was first announced so clearly someone must want to wear it. *shrug*
> Maybe they decided to re write it w/o the stupid rarity rules?

I hope so. I wouldn't mind another book of magical items, but if I'd have to work around the rarity system to make use of its content then I'd rather stick to the books I already own.
I have the monster manuals and I love the new monster vault, I have the adventurers vault so Im sure Ill love this.
I know people are worried with the new direction they have gone, but I think the products we have gotten for DMs have been amazing!
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
> Maybe they decided to re write it w/o the stupid rarity rules? I hope so. I wouldn't mind another book of magical items, but if I'd have to work around the rarity system to make use of its content then I'd rather stick to the books I already own.

Pretty much sums me up.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I have the monster manuals and I love the new monster vault, I have the adventurers vault so Im sure Ill love this.
I know people are worried with the new direction they have gone, but I think the products we have gotten for DMs have been amazing!

But this is an item book so it is for pla.....oh right items are a DM resource in Essentials. Hurray for stupid design. >.>

A piece of armor (with a hole in it) that is haunted is a rare item??? Color me not impressed. What kind of a **** comes up with this idea?

It isn't just haunted, it is haunted by the person who was killed when the hole was made!....And whoever it was that made the announcement of the book thought it sounded good since that was the item they thought to tease the entire book with.
I bet it just contains nerfs of old items that don't fit the new design paradigm. Blech.
Its possible they deemed 'fixing item rarity' via DDI was a bad move.

That said, I make no expectation it'll make item rarity any more popular.
I'm looking forward to this book, rarity or not. I don't see what the big deal is, if you don't like rarity, just ignore it. I don't see why anyone would complain about getting new magic item options. The negativity here is depressing.
I'm looking forward to this book, rarity or not. I don't see what the big deal is, if you don't like rarity, just ignore it. I don't see why anyone would complain about getting new magic item options. The negativity here is depressing.

If Wizards hadn't screwed the pooch so bad on rarity the first time you might not be getting this negativity.

If Wizards hadn't screwed the pooch so bad on rarity the first time you might not be getting this negativity.

I agree that wizards really dropped the ball on rarity. It was an epic fail on their part, and obviously so. But at the end of the day, rarity hasn't changed most people's games. Those who like it try to use it, and for everyone else it is totally ignored and the game goes on as normal. Yes, wizards screwed up and made an embarrasing mistake but my game didn't change so I really don't care.

But this is an item book so it is for pla.....oh right items are a DM resource in Essentials. Hurray for stupid design. >.>

Yes players can buy items, but so can villians, and Im not sure what kind of game you play but sometimes dungeons have items in them, and is it stupid design to have the DM creat the dungeon... I don't want a fight here but please don't quote me to whine about WotC...

Well if they keep the "plan" for item rarity then ignoring rarity is going to be a complete chore because the rarer the item the more powerful it is. Therefore assuming there is any kind of discernable difference in the power level of rare items like there originally was supposed to be, using any of these items(because I believe the book is supposed to filled (almost?) entirely with rare items), the use of the book is going to be constant drag as you have to analyze every single item you want to use to make sure it doesn't go outside of the previous design constraints too much.

Yes players can buy items, but so can villians, and Im not sure what kind of game you play but sometimes dungeons have items in them, and is it stupid design to have the DM creat the dungeon... I don't want a fight here but please don't quote me to whine about WotC...

My DM generally figures out what the bad guys had on them in the week in between sessions so that figuring out items doesn't slow down the game, and he quite frequently gives us items from our wishlists. Anything that isn't on our wishlists is generally just some minor misc. item that anyone could find a use for. Items are for our characters because they are the ones who are going to be using them most of the time.

And really? That was a harmless comment. Who cares if I quoted you? I didn't attribute it to you. It was a response to something you said, so I quoted you. If you don't like being quoted in posts you disagree with(whether substance or form) then perhaps forums aren't the best place for you to spend your time, especially ones as toxic as WotC's right now.
Im not a huge fan of the rarity system... but its easy to ignor... you look at the stat block, and where it says common, un common or rare, just ignore that one thing. Presto changeo its now a regular item.
If you want things as a player to stay the same, talk to your dm and let him know you do not like this system, he likely feels the same and you move on with your life.

This books is very likely going to have a lot more fluff just like the monster vaults did, hopefully in line with what we have been seeing for Threats to the Nentir Vale, and I for one can't wait.
Im not a huge fan of the rarity system... but its easy to ignor... you look at the stat block, and where it says common, un common or rare, just ignore that one thing. Presto changeo its now a regular item.
If you want things as a player to stay the same, talk to your dm and let him know you do not like this system, he likely feels the same and you move on with your life.

The problem is that the addition of item rarity completely changes the balance of item power making it so that a level 6 rare item is supposed to be more powerful than a level 6 uncommon which is supposed to be balanced against the fact that it is rarer. In theory this should mean that you can no longer get a good sense of an item's power just by looking at its level. In practice we don't have enough data points to see whether that is true or if they failed at their stated design goals.

And my DM said that we could buy all items a long time ago in his campaign. I'm complaining simply because this is bad design that I don't view as being worth any money and as Essentials has shown us whining on the forums apparently gets you your way if you stick to it long enough(although I probably need a lead designer change to go along with the whining). Plus I have way too much spare time on my hands, and this is one of the ways I waste it. >.> So I'm not going to "move on with my life" just because you dislike my opinion. 
Yes, MME is back on the production schedule. 

Steve 

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Steve 

Fantastic news!  Looking forward to it.

Steve 

Excellent news. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for the info.
oh god NOOOOOOOoooooOOOooo

rarity is a nightmare i cant wake up from

save it for 5e guys....pleeeaassseeee
I, for one, happen to love item rarity.

It allows me to have the players get the feeling that they can pick up whatever they might need (common items) by looking around in big cities, and to feel that finding treasure while on an adventure is actually special because that's the only way they get some of the more interesting items that they want for their characters.

...and thanks to rarity I can do that just by saying "You can buy common items under normal circumstances, but you will usually have to find uncommon and rare items."

without rarity... accomplishing the same goal is... time consuming.

And as for the claim that rarity cannot be ignored because of power balancing of items... there have always been some items that are a bit better than other items of their level - level is a range of power, not a specific mathematical equation that determines power.

In my opinion, the rarity system gives more for a DM to work with than it takes away, and more so than it take away from the item loving players too, so it is a good addition to the game.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

why they'd announce it as "cancelled" telling us we'd see the content in other formats, then turn around and uncancelling it.

I reckon because Fortune Cards (predictably) didn't do very well.

It's almost a shame though... magic items cards (if done right) had the potential to be their next cash cow, and at least would've been more interesting than fortune cards.

Steve 

So we're confirming another direction change.  Any chance you can tell us what's causing this change in strategy?  Does it have anything to do with the news that Neverwinter is vaporware?  IE, is MME taking the Neverwinter Campaign guide's spot on the publication schedule?

Steve 

So we're confirming another direction change.  Any chance you can tell us what's causing this change in strategy?  Does it have anything to do with the news that Neverwinter is vaporware?  IE, is MME taking the Neverwinter Campaign guide's spot on the publication schedule?

Why would NWCS not being going into production?  We still don't even have confirmation that the CRPG is dead, just that Cryptic is.  Besides, the NWCS was going to come out five months+ before the CRPG, I would hesitate to link them too much, even if the CS was supposed to be released in support (but not to support) of the CRPG.

EDIT: BTW, MME is coming out in a month that originally was not going to have any products.  Hooray for fewer dead months!  
I, for one, happen to love item rarity.

So you like that useful items are under your controll and not avalible to your players where this edition expected them to be... Good to know. You do realize the "common"list is a complete joke? There are not enough items under that system failure to equip a single character let alone a party. Then items which favor 4.5 classes got the "common" card where the same item useable by regular classes was labled as rare?

You act like "under DM control" and "available to your players" are mutually exclusive - they aren't.

As for the common item list... it has enough items on it that any character can have what they need to have in order to stand up to level appropriate challenges.

Item rarity does nothing to prevent players from getting the items they want (though a DM could, which they always could even without rarity, because bad DMs will be bad at DMing), it does show the player what ways are acceptable to get the items they desire - and backs up the DM and setting should they say "No, you can't dual wield two Holy Avengers, there aren't enough in the campaign world for that to be feasible."

Old way: I want gauntlets of ogre power... hey DM, can you set me up to get some or let my character buy them somewhere?

New way: I want gauntlets of ogre power... hey DM, can you set me up to get some or let my character buy them somewhere?

I fail to see the difference in actual use, except that in the old way I did not have items broken down into groups so that I could say "You can buy common items in any large city in this setting. In the desert trade city of Alumar, you can even buy uncommon items." and my players wouldn't have to look at me and say "So which ones are common and uncommon?"

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Uh, no. This is legit. This is an ordering form for distributors and with a creation date of may 24th and release date of September, it for sure is not a fubar. I saw an exact one for Neverwinter Night Fortune Cards right before it was put on the product catalogue.
why they'd announce it as "cancelled" telling us we'd see the content in other formats, then turn around and uncancelling it.

It's almost a shame though... magic items cards (if done right) had the potential to be their next cash cow, and at least would've been more interesting than fortune cards.

Well, Fortune Cards did do well enough for WotC to produce a second set...
The product is real.  If magic item rarity is not your thing, shut up and ignore it.  Prognostications on the health of Wotc based on types of products being released and opinions on individual products success are irrelevant.  Wotc is here, they are successful, and they will continue to be.  Boo Hoo.

Im just tired of all the whining going on around here.
The product is real.  If magic item rarity is not your thing, shut up and ignore it.  Prognostications on the health of Wotc based on types of products being released and opinions on individual products success are irrelevant.  Wotc is here, they are successful, and they will continue to be.  Boo Hoo.

Im just tired of all the whining going on around here.

No really, guys.
My only complaint about item rarity is that is wasn't getting supported well.  Now that this book is back out, perhaps it will be getting that support.

And like some wise scholar mentioned previously, if you don't like item rarity...just ignore it if you are able. 

Its an rpg; you don't like something, you look at your fellow gamers around the table and agree to accept/change/ or omit.

Well, Fortune Cards did do well enough for WotC to produce a second set...

Again, incorrect assumption. Wizards releases their products in sets of 3. The Neverwinter Fortune Card Set was designed at least 6 months ago. Whether or not Shadow over Nentir Vale Fortune set sold well or not, this product was going to be released. Same thing with the third one, Fury of the Feywild; it will be released in November no matter how the first two sets do profit wise.
oh god NOOOOOOOoooooOOOooo

rarity is a nightmare i cant wake up from

save it for 5e guys....pleeeaassseeee

It's back in full strength. Notice too, how the book is for DMs? I'll keep my Adventurer's Vault. However, this release is much needed for the rarity concept.
A book is where Rarity should have been released, in my opinion. Not as a mention on the pages of Dragon.
Sign In to post comments