Question about Half-Changelings?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think if I remember correctly, if a changeling and non-changeling (human, elf, etc.) have a kid, the kid is changeling, right, not a half-changeling?
There's no such thing as a half-changeling, so it'd be either a changeling or whatever the other race involved is.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I believe I read somewhere, once, maybe, that changelings always breed more changelings.  The same is true of tieflings and all the half-x races, too.
I believe I read somewhere, once, maybe, that changelings always breed more changelings.  The same is true of tieflings and all the half-x races, too.

Yes, well I was thinking changelings we more like tieflings than half-x's in that regard. Tiefling gene is like a genetic virus that can never be diluted, even if a tiefling mates with a human and every one of his offspring after that mate with a human for a thousand generations, the result will still be a full tiefling.

A half-elf and a human knockin' boots will result in what would be treated mechanically as another half-elf, but if nothing but mating with humans continued eventually you'd end up with a human.

Just trying to remember where I read that about Changelings... maybe it was the 3.5 Eberron book? I'll have to look...
The easiest way to do it is to have it (the child) be mechanically one or the other.  Since there is not an official half-changeling race, baby is either mechanically a changeling or a human.  Or maybe mechanically some other race. 

(3.5 ed) I've played a 3/4 elf that was mechanically a 1/2 elf (which she and her descendants could never claim to be an elf, no matter how many elves get into the mix.  Elves only have other elves for ancestors, or so they say...)

(4e) I've also got a half-drow/half-shadow elf.  Mechanically, a half-elf with approval to take drow feats rather than human ones.

Also, there is a 2nd generation character that's parentage is Fire Genasi/half-(half-orc) white dragon.  In 3.5, he used the d20 modern Dragonblooded race.  Redone for 4e, he's a dragonborn, same as his papa.  He just looks (mostly) human.
Well, in Races of Eberron, Keith Baker explains that a child of a changeling and another race is either a changeling or a member of that other race.  There's a bit more there about percentages and control and whatnot, but the basic point remains.  Either enough of the changeling's mutability is left to make the race a changeling, or the child can't shapeshift and is otherwise treated as a member of the other parent's race.  Perhaps there are mild cosmetic changes, or perhaps you can tailor your ability score array to reflect ancestry (such as "my character's parent was strong, so I'll spend some points in my point-buy to increase my character's strength").