MOVED (in a roundabout way) I could use some advice here...........

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ok, so my DM made a house rule, we can train stuff if its an animal, mundane or magical. The Ranger doesnt want it, the Halfling probably CANT raise it, without being eaten by it, and so it leaves me, the Human Tank Fighter, or the Dwarf Warlord.

I would like suggestions on who should raise our newly hatched Blue Dragon to keep as a pet. If I have it, I know how to raise it, and I want to raise it to swoop in during battles to help change the tide of them, with it being neutral leaning towards one end. The Dwarf, I dont know what hes planning on doing with it, but since he is our talker, I think he should have a pet he can bring into cities, and help him there, while we split up, which we have been doing.

So it pretty much boils down to: I know how to raise the dragon, he would have to ask me if its safe to do something with it. Hes party leader though, and so thinks he should have it, since its a one in a lifetime thing. I have a suspicion that he would try to have it kill me when its full grown, since he is neutral, and I am chaotic evil (til our DM starts backstory quests, we are currently doing the Dwarfs) and so he kind of would try to kill me if I did anything wrong.

I would like to know who you guys think should keep the dragon as a pet, and what pet the other should try to train.

Your DM is rather odd. As dragon's are extremely intelligent, even at a young age, calling it a pet is like calling a human adult a pet. Would your DM count a human, elf, dwarf, or any other player race as an animal in this way? And if so, why haven't you tried to raise one of them as your pet?

As for who should get the dragon, that is entirely for you and your party to decide.
At the end of that days game he changed it a bit to be more of an "equal" but I changed it a bit to pet due to it being one for the moment, and saying "we have to raise an equal" isnt as ringy as "we have to raise a pet"

What would be your suggestions on other things to try to tame for either one of us, and the Halfling?
Chaotic evil? Go for a Beholder :D
Your DM is letting a dragon join the party? wow!
Well, I wouldn't keep a dragon if I was evil, unless its a black dragon or some other evil dragon.
Dwarfs seem to like bears, but not going into town with that.
Ultimatly it comes down to the theme ofthe game, the theme and class of the character (not theme theme, just the feel, although the mechanical theme could play a part)
I would suggest talking about where the game is going and the feel of the party with, well, the party.

And as a side, lets say everyone got a dragon, what monster could stand up to a party of pcs and a clan of blue dragons?
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
My guess is that the DM is going to regret the decision. It might be a good idea to ask the DM to clarify "animal" being pretty much most natural creatures, including player races, monsters, etc would fall in that category.

It also might be a bad idea to abuse the few inches of rope the DM has given you. If the DM was thinking a wolf or a falcon...and you abuse his lack of clarification and come up with Blue Dragon, you may find your DM has handed out his last bit of rope.

And having the ability to take a blue dragon into battle with you is kinda like taking a grenade to a knife fight. Sure, you're probably gonna win, but it kinda ruins the drama. It will also greatly reduce the relative contribution of your own character's abilities.

If you are not careful, you may be the one who ends up being someones pet. 
Wow, a blue dragon seems way, way over the top. My suggestion for a creature to raise as a pet for you (as chaotic evil) would be a worg that you can ride. But since you're throwing all sense out of the window anyway, go for a troll, manticore, minotaur or even a demon! I hear Balors make cute lapdogs ^__^
Actually the DM threw us the blue dragon to raise, we have it all sorted out now, and I was actually thinking worg, or continually pray to Tiamat(his deity ft story reasons) for a tamr manticore mwahahahahaha

The DM actually pulls stuff like that just for the hell of it

And the dragon is currently not much of a combat character, and mostly won't be until near te end, where it'll be is vs an army pretty much, where having a dragon is a way to let you liv xd
Actually the DM threw us the blue dragon to raise, we have it all sorted out now, and I was actually thinking worg, or continually pray to Tiamat(his deity ft story reasons) for a tamr manticore mwahahahahaha The DM actually pulls stuff like that just for the hell of it And the dragon is currently not much of a combat character, and mostly won't be until near te end, where it'll be is vs an army pretty much, where having a dragon is a way to let you liv xd

I think most earlier posters were reacting to the "What pet to raise" as a character build issue. If it's a plot or story issue then that's very different, and whatever makes your game fun is cool. If the super-pets ever get to be super ahead of the PCs, by having better stats and by also contributing heavily to combat game-play, that's when you might need a re-think - may as well play the dragon at that point rather than your PC, as it has become the major character with you as the side-kick.

Probably the more tradtional "What's a player to do?" angle in the OP is your conflict with the Dwarf character . . . my suggestion: Whilst it's OK (and probably quite fun) to have the evil characters bicker and fight over stuff, try and keep it in the fun zone, and ham up the banter. When one player really intends to destroy another player's character over a share of treasure, a build option or some minor storyline issue, then you need to take a time-out and figure some way to resolve it totally OOC (e.g. flip a coin). That done, feel free to go back to the RP game and act out a blazing row between the PCs that resolves as per your player decision with the team still working together, no-one dead and an honour agreement between players (i.e. not the characters) to not take the issue as far as destroying characters or interfering with the fun of the game . . .

We went serious about fighting, he knows my build is better for all forms of combat (I am a fighter)

Anyways, he's actually lawful good and I'm chaotic evil, so we have been being antagonistic just for fun
Keep in mind that Dragons live a long long loooong time and don't grow to maturity overnight.  You have a hatchling, don't expect it to be much of a game changer but more of an extra element the DM will occasionally use to spice up some encounters.
Yeah that's why it's only rely going to be a combat factor later when it's smarter and bigger, as it is he hides during combat or stands near me and the taclord
Yeah that's why it's only rely going to be a combat factor later when it's smarter and bigger, as it is he hides during combat or stands near me and the taclord

My point is that it wouldn't grow large enough to be of much use beyond heroic tier within the lifespan of a human.  They will have out grown it's usefullness lvl wise before it has grown large enough to use.

Pg. 33 of the Draconomicon Chromatic Dragons states 7 years  from Wyrmling to young, and adult in 160 years.  At wyrmerling it is only a lvl 4 elite artillery.
Ahhh

Well, maybe an aging spell or ritual would be in order? Is there something like that?

All we need it to do Is intimidate the he'll out of stuff, dragons tend to have more points towards it
Ahhh Well, maybe an aging spell or ritual would be in order? Is there something like that? All we need it to do Is intimidate the he'll out of stuff, dragons tend to have more points towards it

Two good options to present to your DM, and one for him. 

1) Drop a 7 year time advancement in at some point fitting to the story.  This will only get it to young though so it will still become ineffective during paragon.

2) Instead of raising it from a hatchling have it be rescuing a severly injured / near death adult dragon (maybe it was fighting with a sibling over hunting territory, nice story add for an extra recurring villian) and have it heal (gradually using the age progression for its stats, wyrmling -> young -> adult) to where it is a full powered adult when the party hits the appropriate level. Even at adult your DM can further progress it's power by allowing it to grow into larger size categories. This option also adds a lot of in game elements to make it fit, quests to get ingridients to help it heal and skill challenges to build trust and loyalty with it.

3) It is your DM's game he can throw in any made up thing he wants to artificially progress its age or shorten the gestation period.  Though I just find using the existing mechanics always keeps things more consistent.

It sounds like a fun concept.  I hope you guys figure out a way to make it work.