Neverwinter Dungeons & Dragons Fortune Cards

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just saw the Neverwinter Dungeons & Dragons Fortune Cards in the upcoming products, does this mean the next Encounters season will be in Neverwinter and the first not to be in the core world of the Nentir Vale? Or do they expect me to use these in my home game?
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
Just saw the Neverwinter Dungeons & Dragons Fortune Cards in the upcoming products, does this mean the next Encounters season will be in Neverwinter and the first not to be in the core world of the Nentir Vale? Or do they expect me to use these in my home game?

What do you mean the first?  Didn't they have a whole Dark Sun season?  Or am I just imagining that?

Anyways, my opinions:
Support for Neverwinter to create great cross-promotional product hype: GREAT!
More collectible cards for power creep: boo 

Actually, the first season of encounters was set in the Forgotten Realms. And there was a Dark Sun encounters season last fall.
-Sartredes

Actually, the first season of encounters was set in the Forgotten Realms. And there was a Dark Sun encounters season last fall.

Yup. Encounters Season 1 was set in the Forgotten Realms, specifically in Undermountain. Season 2 was Dark Sun. Seasons 3 (Keep on the Borderlands), 4 (March of the Phantom Brigade), and 5 (Dark Legacy of Evard, the current season) have been in the Nentir Vale. I believe next season's adventure is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms, though I can't immediately recall where I saw that bit of information.
“If the computer or the game designer is having more fun than the player, you have made a terrible mistake.” -Sid Meier
I'm not usually a complainer, but I've got to voice my opinion on this one. Fortune cards in the CCG model are bad for D&D and I really hoped they'd disappear after the first bunch. I fear that 5e (whenever it comes, probably not soon) will have a CCG mechanic baked right in. That would be my red line, the point at which I stop adopting the latest edition of D&D.
I think this fall's Encounters season will be Feywild-themed (since one of the major player releases this fall will be Heroes of the Feywild) and entitled Beyond the Crystal Cave.  Steve Townshend wrote it according to his blog.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
I think this fall's Encounters season will be Feywild-themed (since one of the major player releases this fall will be Heroes of the Feywild) and entitled Beyond the Crystal Cave.  Steve Townshend wrote it according to his blog.

There are two seasons left this year - current season runs through July-ish and then there's one for August-September-October, with another season starting early November (for November-December-January*). Given the release date for the Feywild book (November), I'd guess that would be coinciding with the November season.

*: Encounters seasons seem to be starting in the first half of the month, so it's likely mid-November through early-February.
“If the computer or the game designer is having more fun than the player, you have made a terrible mistake.” -Sid Meier

Hi.
The next Encounters Season is in FR , Neverwinter area.

I'm not usually a complainer, but I've got to voice my opinion on this one. Fortune cards in the CCG model are bad for D&D and I really hoped they'd disappear after the first bunch. I fear that 5e (whenever it comes, probably not soon) will have a CCG mechanic baked right in. That would be my red line, the point at which I stop adopting the latest edition of D&D.

I agree, I am afraid this will be a part of 5e and would not like that one bit, I will say though I wouldn't write off the system if I could chose to not use the CCG feature and not feel I am playing a lesser game.
If 5e spoke of fortune cards in the books but it was an aspect a character, a DM or a table could ignore and not feel under powered, or have less options I think it could bring profits to a company that needs them, while leaving me the game I love.... but that might be a tall order, I think a lot of it will depend on how fortune cards and games like Gamma World have done. Sadly we have no idea how they have done so...
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
As it currently stands I have to admit that I enjoy the CCG aspect. It gives you some reward for playing in the weekly games, and technically you could collect all your cards for free. Between me, my friend, and my wife we already have six cards soon to be nine. They give players something to do when it isn't their turn. In the previous encounter session I was saved by a feather falling card and by another card that other players had to give me a small boost. It keeps players in the game more often and really does not offer an unbalanced advantage.

Now if you think that later they will make it so your powers and everything are CCG based then I think they would be making a huge mistake and other companies would move like Pathfinder did to fill the niche they leave behind. Until that point I think it is silly to speculate on it and simply enjoy what we currently have.
Sign In to post comments