Dungeon 190 - Force of Nature

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Globals/Images/Icons/DnDi_Large.png)Dungeon 190 - Force of Nature
By Kolja Raven Liquette

The small town of Elkridge is threatened by a strange collossus that has emerged from a feywild gate nearby. The PCs must contend with the creature and ultimately find out why it is attacking.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/190_force.jpg)

Talk about this article here.

My initial impressions are great. Nice new area map, looks solid story wise and actual cartography! Looks like a winner here!

Edit: Oh wow. Once again, MORE OF THIS WIZARDS. Less dungeon tile delve crap and way way WAY more of this. The maps are nice and inspiring, it has some neat stat blocks and I love the mechanic of the feywild collossus in making a very different "feel" to the game. It looks like a long and substantial adventure as well (just begging to be added to). Just love it and already inspired numerous ideas for my own games. Well done!
i am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@Aegeri:  thank you for creating this thread. 
I am a total ninja MaximumHavoc, a total ninja ;)
WOW I am Feywildghasted !
This is a very good adventure. Maps are very nice. The story is good. There's even a small table for Random Encounters ! Some combats, some roleplay, some exploration etc...everything to make it full of win.

A huge Astral Diamond to Mr. Kolja Raven Liquette.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

His "Elkridge Trilogy" are some of my favorite 4e Dungeon adventures and I used "Remains of the Empire" as a reference.  I can't wait to sit down and read through this one.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
What happens if we kill the Elk?  Myself and a couple others looked and couldn't find anything.
What happens if we kill the Elk?  Myself and a couple others looked and couldn't find anything.

...dinner?

-O
"However, the characters will quickly realize

that physical attacks are ineffectual against the sovereign

elk because of its incredible regenerative ability

in the natural world." - Event Three: The Soveriegn Elk, p.7

Also, see the Traits section of The Elks Stat block.

If characters (of the level this adventure is intended) are able to do over 576 hp of damage in a single round, it might be possible it de-rail the adventure.
If that were to happen, as a DM I'd rule that the Elk's spirit would return to the natural world upon the next night/day to continue it's trek.

...dinner?

-O

Fantastical Elk Jerky.  New recipe includes 0 trans fat and increased amounts of arcane to get you through your day.
I just want to say that illustration is awesome. Carry on.
"However, the characters will quickly realize

that physical attacks are ineffectual against the sovereign

elk because of its incredible regenerative ability

in the natural world." - Event Three: The Soveriegn Elk, p.7

Also, see the Traits section of The Elks Stat block.

If characters (of the level this adventure is intended) are able to do over 576 hp of damage in a single round, it might be possible it de-rail the adventure.
If that were to happen, as a DM I'd rule that the Elk's spirit would return to the natural world upon the next night/day to continue it's trek.

I understand the desire to put the adventure back on the rails, and that's reasonable and should be plenty of fun.  In my opinion, it's way cooler to reward players for their ingenuity by allowing their actions to have serious consequences.  Maybe the death of the Sovereign Elk unbalances all of the Feywild, and the characters must strive to repair the damage before the forces of evil can take over and pervert it into something horrible.  Of course, I'd make it clear to the players that what they are doing feels wrong when they're attacking the thing, so that they have only themselves to blame for what happens.
I just want to say that illustration is awesome. Carry on.

Agreed. I wasn't even looking for the adventure, and it immediately drew me to look at it ;)

That’s a great adventure! Very creative, I can only imagine how much fun I can take out of this short adventure. I´m so glad they are doing stuff with RP, Skill challenges and some combat. It´s soo much nicer than only dungeon delves. I´m loving the new adventures!

I finally got a chance to read it this afternoon.  Its very cinematic, especially the parts where you try to redirect the massive elk and the entire mindscape part.  I hope we see more adventures set near Elkridge.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
love it.  i was able to adapt the adventure for a different setting and to fit with existing locations/NPCs.  Wonderful adventure, so different from the usual.  Please do more of this, WOTC!

For those of you who are interested, I'm running Scales of War, and I inserted this after The Temple Between, since they needed some XP to get to 12th.  I set it in the Witchwood, where I have placed the NPC Caliadra of the Stagrunners (she is Skarn Felstorm).  Switched the exarch of Zehir with an exarch of Tiamat, specifically Chillreaver, who stole the Seed of Winter from one of the eladrin who came out to help defend the woods.  It's actually pretty awesome, and I loved this adventure.

I do have a comment thought - my party balance is messed up, they have no arcane characters at all.  So the scene trying to steer the elk they tried everything they could do from a martial power source, but only one guy felt like doing the antlers thing.  So all the charm and domination suggestions are moot, but what happens if they mark the elk?  Like with a fighter who can stop your movement?  Is that treated the same as immobilized?  I like that the author wrote "anything the PCs do can delay it but basically just slow it down, not stop it."  Good guidelines for the dilemma at my table.