05/26/2011 FtL: "Mana Mania"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Hopefully, "flavored" mana will continue to be used.  P-mana worked out a hell of a lot better than Snow, and maybe we'll see more goofy mana in the future?
That Birthing Pod combo... :-O

Absolutely awesome. Finding those creatures at those mana costs, to give the combination of tokens and life and mana and graveyard reshuffle... just wow. LaughingCool

The best combo I've seen all year. 
Great decks.  The Birthing pod deck is crazy.

I am already dealing with a deck similar to the Rage Extractor one, except it is standard legal and uses Pristine Talisman (and several creatures) to gain life back.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Isn't Norn's Annex a horrible non-bo with Wall of Shards? Not only does padding the opponent's life total make the cost of attacking less relevant, but having cheap defenders in the deck makes the card redundant anyway.

I'm going to pretend it's four copies of Tezzeret's Gambit, which would fit the theme, dig you towards your Soul Conduit, and maybe even put more age counters on Wall of Shards.
Nate Hannon... my hat is off to you. That is without exception the greatest infinite combo I've ever seen.

To add insult to injury, you could put Acidic Slime as the 5-mana creature
Ah, but Acidic Slime wouldn't cause a Dross Scorpion trigger.

Although, I have a horrible feeling the combo breaks, because nor does Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. You might need to somehow work in Extruder, Rusted Slasher, or Thermal Navigator.
Nate Hannon... my hat is off to you. That is without exception the greatest infinite combo I've ever seen.

To add insult to injury, you could put Acidic Slime as the 5-mana creature

I like the way you think (Blow up all opponents' artifacts, lands, enchantments? Win moar?  Yes Please!).

Let's break this in half!

Firstly we need a sac outlet for Myr tokens so that we can branch into non-artifact creatures for the pod to crack and still have something we can use for the Dross Scorpion to untap the pod.  Any sac outlet will do, but Fallen Angel is the first thing that comes to my mind (old favorite).

Kill all their non-creature permanents (including planeswalkers):
Terastodon

Exile all their creatures:
Faceless Butcher

and/or

Force them to sacrifice all of their creatures:
Butcher of Malakir

Discard their hand:
Ebon Dragon

But I've got a problem.

I can't figure out how to get rid of the opponents' libraries.
Stuff like Halimar Excavator and Merrow Witsniper are too small in cmc to fit into the....wait a minute...you can 'pod' the myr tokens from the Myr Battlesphere's ETB trigger to fetch a Merrow Witsniper!!  Success!!

Steal all the creatures in their Graveyard:
Puppeteer Clique

Steal all relevant instants or sorceries in their graveyard:
Chancellor of the Spires

okay and now the coup-de-grace,
Exile the rest of the cards in their Graveyard:
Grixis Sojourners

Almost there;

Now give all your creatures haste and make them infinitely huge:
Flame-Kin Zealot

Hold on, new(awesome) idea;

Give everybody 7 poison counters:
Ichor Rats

Put all opponents at 3 life:
Magister Sphinx followed by Ghost Council of Orzhova

Draw your deck:
Mulldrifter

Kill each player with through mill, life loss, and poison counters at the same time:
Caress of Phyrexia

Yesss!  YEESSSS!!!  YYYYYEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Using Kozilek, Butcher of Truth as a library reset is clever as hell. This deck definitely made me grin.

It's clever, but it's not new; Genesis Wave decks sometimes include an Eldrazi to avoid the risk of decking themselves, or to at least have a chance of getting back any non-permanent spells (Overwhelming Stampede, say, or another Wave) that got milled.

It got me thinking, though, about sacrificing a Kozilek to get something even bigger. That way he wouldn't stay down for long. And how do you get Kozilek in the first place? With the Birthing Pod itself, of course! So let's see here, sacrifice Grozoth, Myojin of Life's Web, or Zodiac Dragon to put Kozilek out, sacrifice Kozilek to put out Darksteel Colossus or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, sacrifice that to get Blightsteel Colossus... Step three: profit!

Although, I have a horrible feeling the combo breaks, because nor does Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. You might need to somehow work in Extruder, Rusted Slasher, or Thermal Navigator.

I'm not sure. A second copy of Birthing Pod might be all you need; use the first Pod to do all that first run, and then use the second Pod for the second run. Alternately, a second copy of Dross Scorpion will given you two untap triggers. Even considering the Pod's sorcery-speed restriction, there's probably some way to use that.

Either way, it might be true that you can't go arbitrarily large, but so what? As for game winning, you're still ahead on life, mana, Myr tokens and probably cards in hand if you ever got a Sphinx Summoner in the 5-mana slot. You have chump-blockers and a little lifegain so you can do it all again next turn until you have enough Myr to kill your opponent with one attack. Alternately, the Golem Artisan makes several decent attacking creatures in this deck even better, even the Quicksilver Gargantuan if it is a copy of an artifact creature at the time.

Finally, after going through this routine even once, who cares if it can't actually kill the opponent in one turn? Your opponent is most likely to either boggle in awe at you for trying to pull off the combo or ragequit in impatience.

But you know what I'd like to combo Birthing Pod with? Pandemonium.

This version will play a lot like the versions in the article, but with Pandemonium out as well, going through the chain just once will do either 43 or 46 damage to your opponent (it depends on which creature you choose for the 5 CMC slot). And that's just a spur-of-the-moment thing, adapting this deck to use that; there's probably some way to use Birthing Pod and Pandemonium that's actually competitive.

I'm not sure. A second copy of Birthing Pod might be all you need; use the first Pod to do all that first run, and then use the second Pod for the second run. Alternately, a second copy of Dross Scorpion will given you two untap triggers. Even considering the Pod's sorcery-speed restriction, there's probably some way to use that.

uhm...my outburst of insanity one post up has an easier answer to what you're looking for:

Firstly we need a sac outlet for Myr tokens so that we can branch into non-artifact creatures for the pod to crack and still have something we can use for the Dross Scorpion to untap the pod.  Any sac outlet will do, but Fallen Angel is the first thing that comes to my mind (old favorite).

Also, Kozilek works just fine as a reset because the untap trigger comes from the pod sacrifice (in this case Inkwell Leviathan to get Kozi).  You never do tap the pod to sac Kozi because at this point you start back over with sacking the Cathodion that you returned from your yard with Sharuum, the Hedgemon way back at CMC 6.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

That Birthing Pod deck is beautiful.
blah blah metal lyrics
Dang.  Whoever made that birthing pod deck is either a genuis or completely insane.  Most likely they were held on the border with a steady intake of monsters at 3 am in the morning while making this deck.
Hey, I was mentioned on the internet.  I win!

I like the Birthing Pod combo (including the crazy additions mentioned in this forum), but I'm going to comment on the Rage Extractor deck.  Namely, it should play Phyrexian Metamorph.  Not only does Metamorph trigger the Extraction, it can also copy the Extraction for double the fun.