Attention WotC NEW vs. CUSTOM in CB

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think at this point that there have been enough people ask the question "What happened to X content, I can't find it?" that a GUI redesign is in order.  Please do the following changes (which should take any of your programmers less than 10 minutes to do):

• Remove the "New" button from the front page of the CB.
  • Rename the "Custom" button to "New".
  • Add a campaign option labeled "Quick Essentials" or something similiar and have that option lead where the previous "New" button took you.

I agree. Though changing the button title from "New" to "Quick Character" and from "Custom" to "New" would probably work as well.
I agree. Though changing the button title from "New" to "Quick Character" and from "Custom" to "New" would probably work as well.

No.  From an end user perspective they are either "opening" an existing character ("Load") or they are creating a "new" ("New") character.  The third button is the source of all the confusion and needs to go.  Everything else is just options concerning how to make the "new" character.
+1
I think at this point that there have been enough people ask the question "What happened to X content, I can't find it?" that a GUI redesign is in order.  Please do the following changes (which should take any of your programmers less than 10 minutes to do):

• Remove the "New" button from the front page of the CB.
  • Rename the "Custom" button to "New".
  • Add a campaign option labeled "Quick Essentials" or something similiar and have that option lead where the previous "New" button took you.

Great Idea.  I hope they implement that or some similar solution.  Those words have bugged me since near the beginning of the OCB, though it is already far superior to the splash page that it debuted with. 

No.  From an end user perspective they are either "opening" an existing character ("Load") or they are creating a "new" ("New") character.  The third button is the source of all the confusion and needs to go.  Everything else is just options concerning how to make the "new" character.

Hear, hear!

I support this idea 100%. The number of times I have had to answer "what happened to x" questions due to the existence of the "New" button is simply ridiculous.

I totally agree with this.  I have done it a number of times: clicking New and getting ticked off that all I see is Essentials classes.   I had a player not understand where all her paladin powers went when she remade hers on the online builder.    It is confusing even to someone who knows the difference.  I just forget that New to WotC means "You are new and therefore only get to see Essentials Classes".

I understand what you're saying but I don't think that burying the "Easy" button under a big list of (possibly) arcane options is doing new players any favors. I assume that's the purpose of the button anyway. Might as well drop the easy build button all together at that point.
Nobody notices the HUGE text next to the button that says "Build a quick D&D Essentials character"?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Nope.  That surprises you?

People see 'New', and click it because they want to make a new character.  Making the new button do something different is godawful design, because it displays a basic lack of understanding of how people, in general, use programs.

If I opened Word, clicked New, and it gave you your new document as an A6 postcard template, and wouldn't let you change it, even if it said 'Create a postcard' next to the button, I'd be pretty irritated with it.  Why does the CB get a pass?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think that burying the "Easy" button under a big list of (possibly) arcane options is doing new players any favors. I assume that's the purpose of the button anyway. Might as well drop the easy build button all together at that point.

The 'Easy' button doesn't have to disappear.  It just needs to be labled something other than 'New'.  I agree with kenjoon.  The "Build a Quick D&D Essentials Character" does not belong on the same page as "New" and "Load".
Nope.  That surprises you?

People see 'New', and click it because they want to make a new character.  Making the new button do something different is godawful design, because it displays a basic lack of understanding of how people, in general, use programs.

If I opened Word, clicked New, and it gave you your new document as an A6 postcard template, and wouldn't let you change it, even if it said 'Create a postcard' next to the button, I'd be pretty irritated with it.  Why does the CB get a pass?

Agreed: Basic idea: When designing a user interface 2 seconds is a LONG TIME. Seriously, it is.

No really, two second delays annoy your users, and in fact almost always mean you'd have been better off with a command line or keyboard shortcut rather than a GUI.

People press buttons or click a mouse FAST.

1) This means going back to the server every time prior to showing the change on things like ability scores is BAD.

2) This means that people AREN'T reading your long explanation, they're looking for an icon or a one word label and clicking. They're only spending about 2 seconds on this page, and that's not long enough to read three one sentance explanations and then move the mouse and then click.

Thus the long explanation is used ONLY when something doesn't work and goes back to try again, which means he's wasted a minute or two. Remember that 2 seconds is a LONG TIME, a minute is much longer than that.

Also: The whole point to a GUI is that the user DOES NOT NEED to read the manual. Seriously, if I need to read an explaination of the options then let me make the choice via a command line and keyboard. That's actually faster if you need to read descriptions (your hands can type faster than they can move a mouse and click, especially if they then need to move the mouse and click again to confirm or need to double click).

Notice this: The PURPOSE of the GUI is to let people not read the instructions. If your GUI needs them to read more than one or two word labels then it's worse than useless, it's a waste of effort that could have gone into a better, faster, simpler to build, faster to use command line system. GUIs aren't magic, they are a way to avoid the user overhead of reading instructions, and that purpose is defeated if you need to read the instructions every time you use the GUI.

The natural interpetation of a button labelled NEW and another labelled LOAD is that the one labelled NEW makes a new character, people click that, they don't read the explanation till it doesn't work, they don't remember what doesn't work unless they do this often enough to become habitual to press the third button, and the limit to 20 characters assures us that WotC doesn't actually WANT us to do this often enough for the right button to be habitual.

The 'Easy' button doesn't have to disappear.  It just needs to be labled something other than 'New'.  I agree with kenjoon.  The "Build a Quick D&D Essentials Character" does not belong on the same page as "New" and "Load".

Adding an extra screen for "Quick Character" vs. "Custom Character" after a user clicks the "New" button is pretty bad design as well. I, for one, am glad they removed the "Choose a role" screen and wouldn't like to see it return so new players can have a button to push.

Adding an extra screen for "Quick Character" vs. "Custom Character" after a user clicks the "New" button is pretty bad design as well. I, for one, am glad they removed the "Choose a role" screen and wouldn't like to see it return so new players can have a button to push.

I'm pretty sure that he's not advocating another screen be added. I would rather see "Quick Essentials Character" added as a campaign option above the current Encounters season.

I'm pretty sure that he's not advocating another screen be added. I would rather see "Quick Essentials Character" added as a campaign option above the current Encounters season.

I'd think that was the idea, unless doing essentials you ALREADY HAVE a screen for a campaign choice.

This is were the user EXPECTS to get his options limited, and hence where he'll look for that.

It adds a screen to essentials builds, which isn't great, but it doesn't add one to anyone else.

Adding an extra screen for "Quick Character" vs. "Custom Character" after a user clicks the "New" button is pretty bad design as well. I, for one, am glad they removed the "Choose a role" screen and wouldn't like to see it return so new players can have a button to push.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think that burying the "Easy" button under a big list of (possibly) arcane options is doing new players any favors. I assume that's the purpose of the button anyway. Might as well drop the easy build button all together at that point.

I'd think that was the idea, unless doing essentials you ALREADY HAVE a screen for a campaign choice.

This is were the user EXPECTS to get his options limited, and hence where he'll look for that.

It adds a screen to essentials builds, which isn't great, but it doesn't add one to anyone else.

This.  Add the extra screen/button click to the build option that already has the least.

Edit: Actually, looking over the CB, I think the "Build a Quick D&D Essentials Character" should be moved to the "D&D Encounters" campaign choice.  Such that when you select "D&D Encounters" and click "Continue", it takes you directly to the Playstyle choice menu.  After Playstyle, Class(and any class features) and Race are chosen you can name your character and go directly to the character sheet screen, or you can click "Customize Character" to make any additional changes.  Those wishing to avoid "hand-holding" can use the "Home Campaign" option and just make sure to only use options allowed by their Encounters DM(probably much like many users already do).
Sign In to post comments