Missed 5/17 update to CB

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any word on when this missed update will arrive and what exactly it will contain? Tomorrow will be a week late. Please don't make us wait a month for these changes. The current equipment manager hurts my soul.
Any word on when this missed update will arrive and what exactly it will contain? Tomorrow will be a week late. Please don't make us wait a month for these changes. The current equipment manager hurts my soul.

As of the 16th of May, the fix was "a few weeks away," so I think a month is likely. Plan to see it in June's update and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

As of the 16th of May, the fix was "a few weeks away," so I think a month is likely. Plan to see it in June's update and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I would suspect "surprise" to feature but im not so sure about pleasant. I can't make up my mind if i'm still a die hard 4e fun or just stupid for sticking with it. I would have ditched it if it wasn't D&D a long time ago.Frown

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

We'll get an update on this in Thursday's DDi status meeting. I should be able to pass along some information after that.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

See? Pleasant surprises could be inbound!

I really do admire your optimism. I guess im just getting long in the tooth. If nothing ever got updated again ive still got all my books etc but I am finding that i am a lot less tolerant than i used to be over delays etc.

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

Oh, I don't think it'll happen. I used to work in a hardware/software R&D department. Looking back on my experience there, good news doesn't come at status meetings; if there was good news on this front they'd already know. On the other hand, unofficial good news probably can't be reported. 

Not all surprises are pleasant.

Maybe they will again have some good new and some bad news.

Good news! We almost did our jobs! 
Bad News! No, it's still the same team so there was another (almost monthly) failure.

Soon the lateness will bypass the regular update date, giving the always underwhelming team ANOTHER free month to do whatever it is that they do besides deliver a quality product.

If only the guys at WOTC would just license the data and allow real developers the opportunity to develop real tools for D&D, the landscape would change instantly.

The Silverlight idiocy could be a thing of the past and we would almost overnight have tools for Android iOS, etc. The pitiful, glacially slow, buggy, unreliable, high school level (IT AM A MONSTER BUILDER THAT I MADE IN CLASS BY MYSELF!!!!) crap we have now would just be a bad memory.

Maybe they will again have some good new and some bad news.

Good news! We almost did our jobs! 
Bad News! No, it's still the same team so there was another (almost monthly) failure.

Soon the lateness will bypass the regular update date, giving the always underwhelming team ANOTHER free month to do whatever it is that they do besides deliver a quality product.

If only the guys at WOTC would just license the data and allow real developers the opportunity to develop real tools for D&D, the landscape would change instantly.

The Silverlight idiocy could be a thing of the past and we would almost overnight have tools for Android iOS, etc. The pitiful, glacially slow, buggy, unreliable, high school level (IT AM A MONSTER BUILDER THAT I MADE IN CLASS BY MYSELF!!!!) crap we have now would just be a bad memory.

No, we'd have another 3+ months of "why isn't the new builder done yet", followed by 9+ months after that of "why doesn't it have all the features of the old one?"  Other than that sure, we'd have it "instantly".
Yes, the breathtaking pace at which the current team works is something to behold.

7+ months after the release of the glacially slow, unwieldy, hobbled, online CB and the team has added a handful of features while still falling well short of the offline builder (which was made by competent developers). Unbelievably, the act of fixing bugs in the CB is seen as some sort of progress!

Ridiculous spin like the last official message (we have good news and bad news!) from WOTC underlines just what a terrible job the current team is doing.

Knowing that the direction chosen (Silverlight) is also a complete dead end for the future and devices like iPads underlines the poor and shortsighted management of the brand.

I think it is all coming home to roost as we speak anyway. 
Ridiculous spin like the last official message (we have good news and bad news!) from WOTC underlines just what a terrible job the current team is doing.

The only thing that was rediculous was your claim of "instantly".  If you view that to be a defense of WotC I can't help that.
OK, I will withdraw "instantly" and just say that licensing the data to real developers would quickly result in much faster, much more robust, much more valuable apps that would carry the brand forwards instead of miring it in the past by catering to the limited and limiting Microsoft Silverlight skillset of the team.
OK, I will withdraw "instantly" and just say that licensing the data to real developers would quickly result in much faster, much more robust, much more valuable apps that would carry the brand forwards instead of miring it in the past by catering to the limited and limiting Microsoft Silverlight skillset of the team.

Agreed.
Well... it would instantly make Masteplan better because they could just enable their existing compendium scrubber.  Wink
+1 for MasterPlan

I think They should buy MasterPlan and slat a D&D logo on it.

Make sure it integrates again with all the data and let those folks build a character builder off of MasterPlan.

I use MasterPlan every session. I actually stopped upgrading MasterPlan and I am holding at an older version.

Regards

Right, and if they were still keeping to a 2nd Tuesday update schedule, the 17th itself would have already been a week late.  But meh.  That's nitpicking.

June is looking like the decided leader at this point.  Though, yes, it would be both pleasant and surprising if we were to get an update by the 31st. 

We'll get an update on this in Thursday's DDi status meeting. I should be able to pass along some information after that.

Please remember to pass along the relevant information from that meeting.  Even if it is bad news. 

Steve

Hi Steve,

Hope you remember to do this.

Regards,

Hambone
Do we even WANT this last batch of updates included in the CB?  I'm assuming this would include the senseless nerfing of the cleric.  Sorry, I mean templar.
Do we even WANT this last batch of updates included in the CB?  I'm assuming this would include the senseless nerfing of the cleric.  Sorry, I mean templar.

If the article is the source material, then you still have 2 months or so.
I think WotC_Huscarl (aka Steve Winters) probably remembered to do this, but won't show up until sometime today to get back to us.  After all, yesterday was a holiday.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I think WotC_Huscarl (aka Steve Winters) probably remembered to do this, but won't show up until sometime today to get back to us.  After all, yesterday was a holiday.

Hmmm...
Steve posted on Wednesday.
Meeting on Thursday.
My post on Friday.
Beer (?) Saturday, Sunday, Monday. 
Today is Tuesday.

I'm still going with 'Forgot'.  LOL.

Oh well.  I know he's busy.
I swear I read somewhere (though I can't seem to find it again) WotC_Trevor say that the development team just wasn't equipped to do out of cycle updates unless it was needed to fix something preventing the Builder from working. I'd expect the Builder to be updated on the 21st when MV: Nentir Vale comes out and is added to the compendium.
"the development team just wasn't equipped to do out of cycle updates unless it was needed to fix something preventing the Builder from working"

This a good start for a long list of things the development team isn't equipped to do.

I check back after my hiatus and I come back and see worse things happening than when I left...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Still no news I take it?
Still no news I take it?

Not yet.  I keep checking every day for the CB update. 

I'm guessing we'll get our update mid month, and that it will include the stuff May would've had, and the June stuff as well. 

Are we going to see the debut of the new Marketplace?  I hope so!
Still no news I take it?

I'm guessing we'll get our update mid month, and that it will include the stuff May would've had, and the June stuff as well. 

Yeah I mean, it's disappointing to not get any more word on this. I'm an easygoing guy so I'm not going to flip my lid or anything but it's kind of sad to watch the dev team do so well with communications in general but then drop the ball now and again, you know? I am looking forward to the marketplace.
Still no news I take it?

Yeah I mean, it's disappointing to not get any more word on this. I'm an easygoing guy so I'm not going to flip my lid or anything but it's kind of sad to watch the dev team do so well with communications in general but then drop the ball now and again, you know? I am looking forward to the marketplace.

Yeah, they've definitely improved in communication and delivery over the past 6 months or so, but they're not there yet.  That's for sure!

My best guess is that when Steve says he'll "update" us, that he means he'll inform us of any status changes.  Thus, I guess that the status hasn't changed from "a few weeks away," meaning that we'll get a CB update in June.  Either that, or he just plum forgot!  :P

But yeah... doing what you say is a big part of fulfilling expoectations.