Custom Imp Frigate and Reb Cruiser

Nice :-) I'll be getting some next paycheck.  I'll contact you through a PM on SCN.
My unofficial SSB Website 4-14-10 Uploaded the Base Pack of stat cards for Desperate Encounters. These cards are for the 60 stock SSB Models, making them compatible with DE. Coming Soon: DE: Reputations. Reputations in battle are earned, not given... An expansion pack containing stat cards for unique fighter squadrons, unique versions of stock SSB ships, and generic versions of unique SSB ships.

Like I emailed, in 1 word: WOW

Im so glad I know ppl like you, you dudes are really completing my collection. :D
This modelling goes outof my league...

I love that little Lancer!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
Outstanding, man. I wish you were doing this when I was running a campaign!

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

I got three of these from Utarships today and guys... they're fantastic. I wrote him after and said I honestly didn't think they were gonna be that good.  They're world-class pieces, with excellent detail and flawless casting; not a bubble-pock among them. Each is one-piece too (Bonus! No fidgeting with 'em if you're not a modeller), but still maintains 360-degree detail.
I ordered the "antistarfighter frigate," the strike cruiser and the gunship. Frigate & gunship are 2 1/2" long and strike is 3", making them quite good sized, a perfect "relative scale" match for SSB, AND incidentally a terrific bargain. Resin models are much pricier than mass-produced styrene kits, and Utar's prices are more than fair; clearly he's NOT doing it for profit as a business, but just for love of the game, like our various mapmakers used to.
The fellow is also honest to a fault, possibly. I mean, I hadn't even PAID him and he sent the stuff. Needless to say, I coughed up as soon as humanly possible! Good folks like that need to be nurtured, I'm sure y'all will agree. I got the ships the very next day, well-packaged and in perfect condition.
So that's my little "review" of the vessels wight out of the box, as it were. I gotta work today, and I'll have to locate and/or order bases for 'em, but keep yer eyes peeled and eventually I'll have some pix of the completed ships in comparison to several "official" ones.
Finally, something worthwhile on the minis forums!!!  Wink
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
Hmmm. I was thinking the Lancer was gonna be a Capital-scale ship, but at 250m and 850 crew it's smaller than a Nebulon-B, so clearly a Transport-class mini. So, I need to order a couple more stands.
Minis market got me the four I sent for in an astounding two days!! Hell, I haven't even drilled the mounting holes yet.
Here finally are my "UtarShips," juxtaposed next to some from SSB. I took the pix outside for A) contrast, and B) because my crappy camera needs good ambient light to take even remotely decent pictures. First off:

L to R: Lancer frigate, Strike-class cruiser, Dreadnought, Corellian gunship.

Ships aft, showing the blue-white drive flares.

Now, I didn't do aaaanything sexy with these ships; just a base coat of grey, with a black wash and Camouflage Grey drybrushing. Very little detail painting. Two of them got tiny Imperial cogs from jBot decals. As a result, they're a bit drab.
I have no fewer than SIX Dreadnoughts, from three different sources! Check 'em out for comparison:

Left to right:
1. The Odyssey Slipways Dreadnought. It's listed as 1/10,000 scale and goes with a whole line of ships they've made in that scale. There are two, the Old Republic version and the Imperial type.
2. The Utar Ships Dreadnought. It's slimmer than the other two, and has the best detail, but has a reduced number of 'blisters." The ship should have five per side, from the illustrations available.
3. After the fact, I decided this third one is likely a "recast;" that's where someone makes a mold around an existing model, and casts it - generally this means stealing someone else's work. Like pirating movies or CDs. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the (three!) I have are recasts.

Star Destroyer with Dreadnought & Strike.

The Corellian ships.
I could've definitely done better with the gunship, giving it some creative color.

Strike & Lancer.

Nebulon-B & Lancer.
The Lancer is obviously my favorite, with fine detail and accurate molding. I'm trying to wheedle Tom into doing a Carrack next!
As an aside, if you look at plans for the Strike, you'll see that the "thorax" is covered with armor plate. Tom used some artistic license to replace that with a hangar bay, which well serves the description of "small but efficient" and would indeed be able to release a swarm of fighters in brisk time. I like it! I painted the openings in white.
Very nice ships, I love them! I just spotted your pics by chance and came to check here Those new ships remind me of Rebellion -game, which I think was quite excellent! :D

That Dreadnought on the right definitely is originally mine, but I gave away my molds after a while. Now that I think of it, I was supposed to get something for it later, but forgot about it...
Shaper & Maker galleries
Cool! I know my other Dreadnought sculptor too! Well, I'm glad to see that it is in fact an "authorized" piece.
Tom has one other ship, the Rebel Interdictor, that I haven't done yet as I need a Rebel Assault Frigate for the base, and they aren't as cheap as they used to be. I believe he said that actually is from the Rebellion game (which I am unfamiliar with). He has a pic of it at the beginning of this thread.
I've got some of the rebel interdictors on the way from Tom...  Can't wait.  Lancers too, if I remember correctly.

I have six painted strike cruisers of his.

I wish I had waited for the dreadnaughts (Have all I need from Odyssey Slipways) and the Corellian Gunships (bought some that had almost NO detail on them), but Tom and Einar Gosric on SCN are my go to guys for ships now.

I can't wait to see what Tom does next. Though I already have four Carracks... But I do need at least one more for a unique ship.

My unofficial SSB Website 4-14-10 Uploaded the Base Pack of stat cards for Desperate Encounters. These cards are for the 60 stock SSB Models, making them compatible with DE. Coming Soon: DE: Reputations. Reputations in battle are earned, not given... An expansion pack containing stat cards for unique fighter squadrons, unique versions of stock SSB ships, and generic versions of unique SSB ships.
Thank you for those comparisons, I58! Man that stuff looks good...

The rebel interdictors came out well!

With some of Tom's Lancers and an SSB custom ship...
I believe he said that actually is from the Rebellion game (which I am unfamiliar with)

Not to derail the thread, but I just caught this. Star Wars: Rebellion is a really great game and, though pretty dated tech-wise, is well worth your time! There was a period of about a year and a half where I'd send my forces out to conquer the galaxy whilst eating my breakfast. Tons o' fun, and it probably goes for about $1 on eBay. Also, you get a big poster of all kinds of Imperial and Rebel ships with it. Smile

Sign In to post comments