2011 Community Cup Format Strategy: Unified Modern

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
The 2011 Community Cup formats have been announced! Check out the article here. Use this thread to disuss strategies and suggestions to the Community Team for the Unified Modern format!

The 2011 Community Cup will be held at our Renton Headquarters from June 15th - June 17th!
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
Unified Modern? I'm very interested in hearing what this is, once the article goes live.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Dragonstorm + Geosurge. GG.

How?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
There's definitely still a very sick Raffinity deck to be made. Something like...

4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Signal Pest
4 Frogmite
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Cranial Plating
3 Mox Opal
4 Thoughtcast
4 Darksteel Citadel

17 Island

And we also can build a deck off of a 24post engine:

4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Vesuva
4 Cloudpost
4 Glimmerpost

And, I'd take a stab at a land destruction deck.

4 Stone Rain
4 Molten Rain
4 Fulminator Mage
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
2 Avalanche Riders
2 Deus of Calamity
4 Boom / Bust
4 Roiling Terrain
4 Seismic Spike
4 Incendiary Command
4 Tectonic Edge
20 Mountain

Probably a bit weak - I'd want a way to hit T2 Stone Rain, myself - but it would be pretty fun.

Other possible decks:

- Faeries (with Jace2)
- Elves (with Devoted Druid and Ezuri)
Either Faeries or Elves should have Aether Vial.

- Boros
- Valakut
- Dragonstorm
- Soul Sisters
- MARTYR OF SANDS CONTROL.
- Seismic Swans
- Caw-Blade
- Kuldotha Red - BEAR IN MIND SHRAPNEL BLAST IS LEGAL!
- Merfolk... there's not as much overlap between this and Faeries as you'd expect
- Exarch Twin
- Hypergenesis (with Cascade cards to trigger it)
- Dredge
- A deck using Tarmogoyf and Bloodbraid Elf. Naya goodstuff, basically. That or Jund... hard call. They use a lot of the same cards. It's a tradeoff - Knight of the Reliquary or Putrid Leech? Wooly Thoctar and Wild Nacatl or Blightning and Maelstrom Pulse?

Other powerful cards of note:

- Plow Under
- Meloku the Clouded Mirror
- Jace. This guy is important!
- Meddling Mage
- Tidehollow Sculler
- Kitchen Finks
- Putrid Leech
- Vengevine
- Noble Hierarch
- Cryptic Command
- Path to Exile
- Reveillark
- Summoning Trap
- Figure of Destiny
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Coiling Oracle

The eight decks I'd choose:

Naya Goodstuff
Caw-Blade (no Jace)
Raffinity
Faeries (with Jace)
Dragonstorm
Elves
Boros OR Red Deck Wins
(with Figure of Destiny... and Magus of the Moon?)
Dredge
*puts on a cheerleader outfit*

Go, go, Community Team! Bring home the Hammy!

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

How?

Geosurge gives you a reliable 3-mana boost, more than Seething Song or your first two Rite of Flames. Pretty good.

Dragonstorm is probably a pretty good idea. I kind of want to see what a Modern version of the deck can do with access to Karrthus and/or Hellkite Overlord and maybe Sarkhan Vol/Sarkhan the Mad.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

How?

Geosurge gives you a reliable 3-mana boost, more than Seething Song or your first two Rite of Flames. Pretty good.

Dragonstorm is probably a pretty good idea. I kind of want to see what a Modern version of the deck can do with access to Karrthus and/or Hellkite Overlord and maybe Sarkhan Vol/Sarkhan the Mad.

Karrthus and Hellkite Overlord are both less powerful than the ability to do 20 damage to an opponent without even going into an attack phase. Those two are both vulnerable to removal that Bogardan Hellkite doesn't care about.

Sarkhan Vol and Sarkhan the Mad are both dead draws in a Dragonstorm deck. You want to win straight-out as soon as you cast Dragonstorm.

The challenge, as always, is coming up with 8 decks that don't have too many overlapping cards. It's probably useful to try to list out decks that are narrow in scope and unlikely to share cards with other decks, including:

• Hypergenesis

• Dredge

• Elf combo

• Affinity

• Merfolk (wants counterspells and Mutavaults)

• Scapeshift

• Project X or Soul Sisters

• Polymorph (wants counterspells and Mutavaults)

• All in Red (wants Demigods and red rituals)

• Dragonstorm (wants counterspells and red rituals)           

• Kiki-Jiki/Splinter Twin and Pestermite/Deceiver Exarch (wants counterspells)

• Mythic (wants mana accelerants)

• Mono White Emeria Control

Other deck possibilities:

• Zoo

• Cawblade (perhaps Esper Caw-Blade with Dark Confidant, discard, and limited Counterspells/Planeswalkers?)

• Jund

• 5cc/Teachings

• RDW

• Gifts Ungiven good stuff

• Turbofog

• Turbo-Sanity Grinding

The challenge, as always, is coming up with 8 decks that don't have too many overlapping cards. It's probably useful to try to list out decks that are narrow in scope and unlikely to share cards with other decks...

If the community puts together 7 quality decks and needs *one more* to bring it all home, I suggest a "Battle of Wits" deck. For all I care, it can be sliver based and the player representing it could make transformer sounds. I just want to see it happen. . .

"Battle of Wits" might be in all just a laugh, yet for building a team, I reckon it would like to first pick Phyrexian Arena. ("Enduring Ideal" may be in a different direction.)

Under the unified deck construction rules, each team will be responsible for creating eight decks (including sideboards) for the Standard and Modern rounds, however, each team is limited to only four copies of each card legal in that format (except basic lands) for all eight decks.

Isochron Scepter: Worth the resources when assembling? [Probably not.]
Hive Mind: Pact deck is available...
Elves get Cloudstone Curio back...
Blood Moon for Red based decks...
Someone somewhere loves Death Cloud...

^^

(may this be the last post you facepalm to today)
So "Modern" is actually the old extended, before wizards changed it.

So for any Deckideas you bring up, first think about them if they really could be compared to the old Extended decks. That were decks like Thopter Depths, where Faeries wasn't even the top tier.
None of these seem to overlap a whole lot on card selection

Faeries

Valukut/Omen

Dragonstorm Combo

Some sort of Early Harvest Deck maybe similar to the transmute/weird harvest version

Some sort of fast mono red aggro

Hypergenesis (The nice thing about unified is the opponents can only have chalice of the void in one deck's side)

Elves Combo

Tooth and Nail (cloudpost version may be better now than urza's with glimmerpost now available)
Jund
Bastardized Affinity
Dredge
Some form of Vengevine deck

Don't think Tooth and Nail should be in there, in the last seasons it wasn't even a Tier2 deck.
I think the Cloudposts should be used for some real Controll deck. Something similar to the Legacy cloudpost decks.

UW Caw Blade would be good, but can't have the Mutavaults and would compete for Cryptics with Faeries.
Okay, so updating my list...

Viable decks:
- Valakut / Omen / Scapeshift
- Dragonstorm
- Hypergenesis
- Raffinity
- Jund
- Faeries
- Caw-blade
- Kiki-Jiki/Splinter Twin + Exarch/Pestermite
- Elves combo
- Dredge
- Naya
- 5cc
- Turbofog
- Soul Sisters
- Polymorph
- RDW with Demigods
- Merfolks
- Mono-black control
- Seismic Swans

Honestly, the hardest cards to allocate are going to be AEther Vial, Cryptica Command, and Jace.

I'd still like to see a Cloudpost deck... maybe it can be used to get Eldrazi out?

just a possible decklist:
4 Cloudpost
4 Glimmerpost
4 Vesuva
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
1 Eye of Ugin

4 Expedition Map
4 Contagion Clasp
4 Contagion Engine
4 Everflowing Chalice
4 All is Dust
1 Spawnsire of Ulamog (to get ones in the sideboard, of course)
3 Precursor Golem
3 Kozilek
2 Ulamog
3 Emrakul
4 Mindslaver

Kiki-Jiki/Splinter Twin + Exarch/Splintermite

Having 8 of poth Comboparts sounds nice

+ Any fetchland available.
I don't think Jaces need to be used up for this deck.
Kiki-Jiki/Splinter Twin + Exarch/Splintermite

Having 8 of poth Comboparts sounds nice

+ Any fetchland available.
I don't think Jaces need to be used up for this deck.

You probably want Delay instead of Mana Leak. And maybe Snapback or Commandeer instead of Into the Roil? I dunno - ItR just seems so expensive given the format.

Yeah you're propably right on Mana leak, but it should be replaced with remand or pact of negation. Delay is just a bad counter and was even behind cancel in Timespiral block.
But Snapback and Commandeer are both just not that good cards.
I think that a version of Rubin Zoo (what Kibler won PT Austin with) is probably the best aggressive deck in the format.  Its one of the few aggro decks that can take Fae on without it getting too messy.  It can burn most of the Elves while it swinging with fatties for the win.  It can be assebled in such a matter to include most combo hosers.  The downside is that it uses 8+ Fetches and uses up the Paths and Bolts.  If people have any misplaced fantasies about a Mono Red Burn Aggro list, using Zoo shuts that down hard.  The fetches aren't even that big of a deal as there is a plethora of dual colored fixing, it's just that it could run into issues with lists like Valakut/Omen or Lotus Cobra engines (as it will need 4 Green Fetches).

The other issue I think is relavent is that Hypergenesis is not the only stupid cascade deck.  It gets more hype, but it also has the greediest mana base and uses all the awesome fatties that could possibly find homes elsewhere.  Living End and Restore Balance based cascade decks typcially have less greedy mana bases and use less common cards. 

Trying to build Affinity seems like a bad idea.  It would probably look more like a cruddy combo deck than a badass aggro deck.  One of the strengths of the deck was that your lands not only made mana, but they were also lotus petals and Shocks/Lightning bolts to your opponent.  Take that away and you have a deck with a few good cards.  While Artifact man lands, Mox Opal, and Springleaf Drum can take you places, it won't be where you wanna go.

I'd still like to see a Cloudpost deck... maybe it can be used to get Eldrazi out?

just a posible decklist:
4 Cloudpost
4 Glimmerpost
4 Vesuva
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
1 Eye of Ugin

4 Expedition Map
4 Contagion Clasp
4 Contagion Engine
4 Everflowing Chalice
4 All is Dust
3 Precursor Golem
3 Kozilek
2 Ulamog
3 Emrakul
4 Mindslaver

That list is sweet. I only wonder if it's better than splashing green for Summoning Trap, or blue for Polymorph; remember, can't have too many decks with overlapping cards.
I'd probably replace Precursor Golem with Wurmcoil Engine.

Dragonstorm:
Lands(24)
4x Spinerock Knoll
4x Graven Cairns
4x Molten Slagheap
12x Mountain

Creatures(4)
4x Bogardan Hellkite

Spells(32)
4x Rite of Flame
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Rift Bolt
2x Seal of Fire
4x Grapeshot
4x Pyromancer's Swath
2x Seething Song 
4x Geosurge
4x Dragonstorm 

Sideboard(Are sideboards used in this event?)
3x Wheel of Fate(huge vs discard)
4x Ingot Chewer(vs other artifact combos)
4x Pact of Negation(Gotta push the combo through permission)
4x Kokusho, the Evening Star(vs Ivory Mask effects) 

And my personal Demigod deck:

Lands(25)
4x Graven Cairn
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Dragonskull Summit
13x Mountain

Creatures (21)
4x Figure of Destiny
3x Goblin Guide
4x Hellspark Elemental
2x Kargan Dragonlord
4x Magus of the Moon 
4x Demigod of Revenge

Spells (14)
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Blightning
4x Flame Javelin
2x Banefire

More to come, including Mishra, Summoning Trap/Shining Shoal, and a turn-1 Blazing Shoal deck.
You have two options for the "Red Mana" deck: either All-in Red, or Dragonstorm. Either one takes up the red mana-producing spells (and probably the Blood Moons / Magus of the Moons).

The Dragonstorm deck I played during the last EXT Q's it was legal:

Maindeck:

4 Lotus Bloom

4 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

3 Blood Moon
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Gigadrowse
4 Peer Through Depths
4 Seething Song
4 Dragonstorm
1 Firespout
4 Ponder
4 Rite of Flame

4 Island
1 Mountain
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cascade Bluffs
4 Dreadship Reef
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Steam Vents

Sideboard:

1 Blood Moon
4 Echoing Truth
4 Remand
3 Firespout
3 Shattering Spree

Thoughts: Blood Moon was "necessary" because this was the breakout season for Dark Depths. Depths is banned in this format, so Dragonstorm probably doesn't need to run that kind of maindeck disruption. Will this be where you want your Ponders / Preordains to go? Peer Through Depths / Telling Time / Ponder would leave you Preordain for whatever U-based control deck gets included.

Swans should probably be a definite as well.

just a possible decklist:
4 Cloudpost
4 Glimmerpost
4 Vesuva
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
1 Eye of Ugin

4 Expedition Map
4 Contagion Clasp
4 Contagion Engine
4 Everflowing Chalice
4 All is Dust
3 Precursor Golem
3 Kozilek
2 Ulamog
3 Emrakul
4 Mindslaver

That list is sweet. I only wonder if it's better than splashing green for Summoning Trap, or blue for Polymorph; remember, can't have too many decks with overlapping cards.

I gave it a shot. I only played a few games, but it was very, very consistent overall. The exact set of cards definitely needs tweaking, but the sheer speed with which this deck hits its fatties and keeps them coming is absurd. Right now I'd say -1 Emrakul, -1 Spawnsire, +1 Ulamog, +1 Kozilek. The deck might also want to lose a Contagion Clasp or two for something. Altar of Shadows?
I'd probably replace Precursor Golem with Wurmcoil Engine.

It's a toss-up. You might be right. Steel Hellkite also might be fun.
Dragonstorm:
Lands(24)
4x Spinerock Knoll
4x Graven Cairns
4x Molten Slagheap
12x Mountain

Creatures(4)
4x Bogardan Hellkite

Spells(32)
4x Rite of Flame
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Rift Bolt
2x Seal of Fire
4x Grapeshot
4x Pyromancer's Swath
2x Seething Song 
4x Geosurge
4x Dragonstorm 

Sideboard(Are sideboards used in this event?)
3x Wheel of Fate(huge vs discard)
4x Ingot Chewer(vs other artifact combos)
4x Pact of Negation(Gotta push the combo through permission)
4x Kokusho, the Evening Star(vs Ivory Mask effects)

What the heck is Geosurge doing here? I'd rather use the U/R list Massive posted - it's a more accurate build of the deck.
More to come, including Mishra, Summoning Trap/Shining Shoal, and a turn-1 Blazing Shoal deck.

Don't bother with the turn-1 deck; it'd be far too unreliable for the format. We have an AMAZING amount of cards available - we can get some very, very consistent decks.

It's definitely debatable, for Dragonstorm lists, between the U/R and straight-red versions. I chose monored, and I think it is the superior choice, because:
1. Monored replaced the blue-red versions when it was a Standard deck.
2. Spineridge Knoll is super-powerful, and cannot be used in the blue-red version.
3. More versatility; the blue-red deck is just dead if it can't resolve its Dragonstorm(Mindbreak Trap, Cranial Extraction, Time Stop, Gaddock Teeg etc). The monored version has a backup plan that is also very consistent and fast; Pyromancer's Swath+Grapeshot is a powerful kill, and was its own deck before being absorbed by Dragonstorm later in that season, as well as the Knoll to sneak Dragonstorm past countermagic.
To summarize, the blue-red list is good, I just don't think it's as powerful or versatile as the monored.

As to Geosurge, I didn't see any actual criticism of the card, just a complaint. If you have an actual issue with the card selection, please describe it. Pre-emptively, it generates 3 extra mana, which is more than Seething Song, Desperate Ritual, or Rite of Flame(usually).

Swans is probably still awesome, although Path to Exile invalidates, or at least wrecks, a lot of old 1-creature based strategies(Swans, Psychatog). This is because those creatures could esape removal by either being immune to damage, or being able to grow too large for damage. But Path doesn't care about any of that. That's my concern with Swans in particular, and also the Psychatog deck I wanted to build.
As to Geosurge, I didn't see any actual criticism of the card, just a complaint. If you have an actual issue with the card selection, please describe it. Pre-emptively, it generates 3 extra mana, which is more than Seething Song, Desperate Ritual, or Rite of Flame(usually).

Read the card. You can't spend its mana on Dragonstorm. That's a problem.

Read the card. You can't spend its mana on Dragonstorm. That's a problem.

Wow lol. Nice card, Wizards.

I noticed your list up top missed a very, very important deck; Mill. Here's a list:

Spells(36)
4x Tome Scour
4x Glimpse the Unthinkable
4x Twincast
4x Howling Mine
4x Mind Funeral
4x Jace Beleren
4x Sanity Grinding
4x Cryptic Command
4x Archive Trap
Lands(24)
4x Watery Grave
4x Drowned Catacombs
4x Sunken Ruins
4x Shelldock Isle
8x Island 

The best mill deck in Standard's history gets a dose of power from Archive trap and Glimpse. 
Tome Scour is debatable, I think; could be 4 more counters to stall/force through the mill cards, but I'm not sure. Either way, I think this is a very viable deck. 
I noticed your list up top missed a very, very important deck; Mill. Here's a list:

Spells(36)
4x Tome Scour
4x Glimpse the Unthinkable
4x Twincast
4x Howling Mine
4x Mind Funeral
4x Jace Beleren
4x Sanity Grinding
4x Cryptic Command
4x Archive Trap
Lands(24)
4x Watery Grave
4x Drowned Catacombs
4x Sunken Ruins
4x Shelldock Isle
8x Island 

The best mill deck in Standard's history gets a dose of power from Archive trap and Glimpse. 
Tome Scour is debatable, I think; could be 4 more counters to stall/force through the mill cards, but I'm not sure. Either way, I think this is a very viable deck. 

I don't think this is a very good deck. The aggro in this format is VERY fast and can goldfish in 3-5 turns. The combo also goldfishes in at most 5 turns. Given that this deck isn't really much stronger than a goldfish, you're going to have trouble winning. Control probably won't give you an easy time, either.
UB Mill seems horrible.  I don't know why anyone would run that over UB Faeries or even regular UB control.  Any sort of mill deck seems poor in a format in which games can end on turn 3 against the faster combo decks.

I don't think Mono Brown Ramp is as strong as a build using Green and/or Blue.  The power of Primeval Titan, Academy Ruins, and other filtering ancients is hard to fully deny.  Also, relying on being mono brown to accelerate could lead to problems with cards like Ghost Quarter or Blood Moon
I'd like to see red ramp+Into the Breach+Emrakul. Probably put in Spark Elementals, Lightning Bolts and Lava Spikes for the other 5 damage. Also I don't think Sanity Grinding will be good unless you have the avatars from Shadowmoor/Eventide that have five blue mana symbols.
So this is Mirrodin Block + Extended with additional sets.  Any good references for decks that were effective then that aren't neutered by the current ban list?
All in red (though it won't be turn one because Chrome Mox is banned)
Faeries
Scapeshift
Hypergenesis
Dredge
Elves
Adapted Merfolk from legacy

Artifacts
4 Aether Vial

Creatures
4 Coralhelm Commander
4 Cursecatcher
4 Lord of Atlantis
2 Merfolk Sovereign
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Silvergill Adept
1 Sower of Temptation

Instants
4 Mana Leak
4 Cryptic Command
1 Spell Pierce

Legendary Creatures
2 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner

Basic Lands
14 Island

Lands
4 Mutavault"> Mutavault
4 Ghost Quarter
It seems silly, but since everyones so hung up on Geosurge, what about using it in 2 land belcher? Its rough without chrome mox, but it could still work.  Also this list seems silly, but possibly very inconsistent.  The power is there though. Geosurge + Belcher and Priest of Urabrask = win target game?

4    Goblin Charbelcher
4    Street Wraith
4    Simian Spirit Guide
4    Chancellor of the Tangle
4    Priest of Urabrask
4    Gixatian Probe
4    Desperate Ritual
4    Rite of Flame
4    Geosurge
4    Manamorphose
4    Seething Song
3    Empty the Warrens
4    Noxious Revival
4    Serum Powder
3    Braid of Fire
1    Stomping Grounds
1    Blood Crypt
It seems silly, but since everyones so hung up on Geosurge, what about using it in 2 land belcher?

Still doesn't work. Please read the card. It only can be used to cast artifact spells, not activate abilities of artifacts. When you get to 4 mana, you already have enough to cast Belcher anyways. Might be a neat deck, though not with Geosurge.

I wasn't clear before, you filter the geosurge mana through the priest of urabrask. THAT actually works.
Does anyone think Pyromancer's Ascension is viable?
I'd like to know what combo decks people think are winning on turn 3, through countermagic.
Also, what Aggro decks people think are winning on turn 4 through countermagic.

People always think formats are faster than they are. Dragonstorm doesn't go off on turn 3, sorry. And what aggro deck, exactly, is that fast outside of its goldfish?

I'm fine being corrected on Geosurge, but let's at least be realistic about the speed of the format.  
I wasn't clear before, you filter the geosurge mana through the priest of urabrask. THAT actually works.

Tested the deck, and I'd rather play Dragonstorm. But it's amusing!
All in red (though it won't be turn one because Chrome Mox is banned)
Faeries
Scapeshift
Hypergenesis
Dredge
Elves

Golgari Grave-Troll is banned so Dredge is out.

Definite decks:
-Faeries is a lock. Jaces, Cryptics, other counter-magic/discard/removal may need to be shared, but the deck is adaptable enough.
-Elves loses only Wirewood Symbiote and Birchlore Rangers (and SB Jittes) from LSV's list that won PT Berlin.  I'd say this should be a lock.
-Some form of R or RU red ritual combo.  This could be All-In Red, Dragonstorm, Swathe Storm, or something else, but you're only going to be able to play one of them.

Good decks:
-Naya Zoo with Nacatl, Kird Ape, Loam Lion, Steppe Lynx, Figure, Bolt, Helix, etc.
-Scapeshift,  can a build be made without Rav Duals?
-Hypergenesis/Living End, probably depends on the mana-base being available, which favours Living End .
-Exarch/Mite + Kiki/Twin. Probably the most consistent 2-card combo, likely wants to be slower and more controlling as the rituals/lotus are needed elsewhere.
-Doran mid-range, Murmuring Bosk means the deck can built with less strain on other mana-bases.  Very flexible on which cards it runs.
-UW/x control, with Vedalken Shackles, Academy Ruins, Engineered Explosives, Wrath, etc.  Could be Caw-Blade, but doesn't have to be.

Decks that aren't good enough (too greedy/better options):
-Boros: Naya Zoo is just better
-5 Color Zoo: Mana unlikely to work
-Hive Mind: Storm or Exarch/Twin seem like better combo decks without a Show and Tell in the format
-Merfolk, I don't think there's enough good counter-magic to stretch to Merfolk, and the core strategy doesn't seem strong enough

Cards too powerful not to use somewhere:
-Dark Confidant
-Gifts Ungiven
-Life from the Loam

MTGO: middleman_35 Money mouth

Karrthus and Hellkite Overlord are both less powerful than the ability to do 20 damage to an opponent without even going into an attack phase. Those two are both vulnerable to removal that Bogardan Hellkite doesn't care about.

Well, Overlord certainly obsoletes Hunted Dragon as a supplementary Dragon, at the very least.
blah blah metal lyrics
Dragonstorm Combo
It's resilient to most disruption without having to be too cute.  It can punch through counters with Gigadrowse and even without fetches it will have an amazing mana base (Cascade Bluffs helps sooo much).  This is probably where the improved Blue 1 mana spells come in.  I haven't tested it, but I imagine Gitaxian Probe to be pretty solid here.  I think if you want a UR deck, this is the way to go and not Twin Combo. 
Kokusho is a pretty legit guy in Dragonstorm.  Once the mana gets worked on, I could see Kokusho being the finisher of choices as he doesn't suck when you hardcast him.  Only other real deck to want Kokusho would be a Greater Good/Gifts Variant.

The Best Aggro Deck in the Format
If you want a deck that can beatdown on a lot of the non-combo decks without being a pushover to combo, then there is nothing better than Rubin Zoo.  Punishing Fire and Grove of the Burnwillows is a sick engine in a field where people are running Fae, Elves, Kiki/Pestermite,  etc.  It is probably the best spot to put Goyf, KOTR, and Noble Hierarch.  While you can implement a Stoneforge plan, it would probably be better served in a BW deck.  The only downside to Rubin Zoo is the fetches needed as well as Path to Exile.  The only reason to run Landfall Zoo over Rubin Zoo is wanting to use Punishing Fire/Grove elsewhere.  I don't think that the control lists with the deck were ever as good as the package is in Zoo.  Zoo needs a form of card advantage and this fits the bill.

I see everyone promoting zoo/naya builds but im starting to think that maybe not building that deck would be a better choice.  Instead you could split it into jund and bant.  I mean you have to make eight decks, so overall decks will be weaker than optimal on both sides.  I'd rather have two good decks in that case than one great deck.

MTGO ID: ShardFenix
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
I think a mono green aggro elf deck could be a contender.   There are some killer elves in this format...the problem would be chosing the best ones.  But here is a list that might be good....

Creatures Mainboard
2x Copperhorn Scout
2x Drove of Elves
4x Elvish Archdruid
2x Ezuri, Renegade Leader
2x Fauna Shaman
4x Joraga Warcaller
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Oracle of Mul Daya
2x Viridian Shaman

Sorceries Mainboard
2x Green Sun's Zenith
4x Overwhelming Stampede

Instant
4x Beast Within

Artifact
2x Caged Sun

Land
18 Forest
4x Tectonic Edge

Sideboard
4x Elvish Warrior
3x Jagged-Scar Archers
4x Taunting Elf
4x Gaea's Herald

You could obviously test and play with numbers but I think with the possibilities of this format this could be an awesome list...Obviously elves have a lot of potential....
Sign In to post comments