The Myr Race. WiP

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since the first Mirrodin block came out some years ago, I was enthralled for some unknown reason by the Myr.  My fascination with them went to the backburner as other things in life arose.

Now the 2nd mirrodin block is reaching it's end, i've been out of the MTG loop for a long time but I'm glad to see these guys back again.  I been wondering to myself "Why not these guys?".

After so much searching i've learned that they have subtle intellect, meaning they are much smarter than they look, they just don't parade it or show it off that often.  Other races would think of them as mindless drones but in actuality they probably at least as smart as they are (in some respects, at least).  So I been toying with the idea of somehow introducing the "average" Myr, to other planes.

By average I mean the mid-size bi-pedal myr such as the copper/leaden/iron/gold/silver myr, though some others seem to be their size as well, such as galvinizing myrs and such.  I have had to think about their dimensions as there is not much to give a perspective on how tall your average myr is.  The golden myr is seen in the razor grass, which after looking at other cards, said grass seems to be as high at wheat fields in some spots, the newer picture shows the golden myr somewhat hunched in varying sizes of the grass and he is as high if not taller than the highest grass in the picture (at least if here were to stand erect).  It's also noted that leonin harvest the grass to make weapons, which means it would have to be a considerable length in the first place.  So i'm estimating their height around 4ft. tall if not a bit more.

As for backstory, I would like to have something that at least hints at their mtg beginnings.  Memnarch was able to bring other creatures to the Mirrodin plane by use of soul traps.  Perhaps he could have sent Myr to the other planes for observation so he could find those to trap.  But now memnarch (or just refer to him as their leader) is dead.  His power before was certainly massive, enough that his will was felt through the myr even across the planar boundaries.  But with him gone the original command of observation is either very much weakened or completely gone.

You are left with a creature that is somewhat of a blank slate, a creature without purpose on an alien land with it's kin few and very far between.  They keep their sense of devotion and duty, whatever that ends up becoming as this is what little personality they originally had.  Many if not most "lost" myr end up continuing their original command and constantly observe until they become defunct or deactivate for any reason.  But much like player characters being a step above the rest, a few of those Myr start developing their individual personalities, discovering free will.  These myr learn how to convey their thoughts via the telepathy they had originally only with other myr.

But now i'm wondering how I should go about creating them.... this will be a WiP and feedback would be appreciated.

Myr

Racial Traits
Average Height:  4'0" - 4'6"
Average Weight:  150 - 180 lbs. (Just a ballpark guess, those metal bodies must weigh quite a bit I would think?  But as far as I know the metal they are made from is unnamed so I don't know how dense the stuff is).

Ability Scores:  +2 Con, +2 Dex or +2 Int.

Size:  Medium
Speed:  6 Squares
Vision:  Low-Light

Telepathy:  Myr can telepathically speak with any creature that has a language. (or however it works with shardminds).

Skill Bonuses:  +2 Endurance, +2 Perception

Living Construct:  You are a living construct.  You don't need to eat, drink, or sleep.  You never have to make Endurance checks to resist the effects of starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Galvinized Body:  Myr have a thin extra layer of metal over most if not their whole body, giving them protection against some of the dangers of the environments they were designed to be around the most.  Choose one.

Gold:  +5 electricity resistance
Silver:  +5 frost resistance
Copper:  +5 poison resistance
Lead:  +5 necrotic resistance
Iron:  +5 fire resistance

Thats what I have for now, still thinking about the route to go with ability scores and another possible ability or two.
I think you have a fantastic idea here. Myr are often the overlooked in the MtG world so I imagine them the same in the D&D worlds as well. I assume you could flavor them very closely with Warforged an get a reasonable result. This could mean using Warforged as your character and fluffing it as a Myr, or you could at least give them the ability to attach Warforged items to themselves. (look at "Myr Adapter")

A trance-like ability is another easy one for a machine race.

As for a racial ability, it looks as if you are focusing on the mana-myr. You could also focus on their adaptability. Here are a couple of my thoughts.
-----------------------
Mana Expulsion
Encounter
Free Action
Power typearies
Add the amount of damage to a damage roll equal to one resistance myr possesses.
(Periless Myr as a card reference)
(Could be an Immediate Reaction and just do that damage)
-----------------------
Hardened Coating
Encounter
Minor
Power Type: Personal
Gains resist all damage equal to your highest resistance against the next attack that does damage.
-----------------------

+Con +Dex would be my best suggestion for abilities.

Hope you continue working on this and are able to bring  Myr to the table in the future.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

This is really interesting. I was into Mirrodin, and given how easy it is to make races for 4e, I was kind of curious how these would turn out. That said, I have a few suggestions:

- These guys are perfect candidates for the living construct racial trait that the shardminds and warforged have. They seem similar in that regard.
- In addition to the energy resistance, I would consider a small bonus on top of it, like small saving throw bonuses, a speed bonus (maybe), or something else. I'd also suggest scaling the resistances as it won't be overpowered (5 at heroic, 10 at paragon, 15 at epic)
- For racial bonus, I'd make Con the primary, with Dex/Int as the flex stat. Since the myr look relatively fast and seem to have some kind of collective intelligence (I'm thinking Myr Servitor on this one), I think that would work best.
- In terms of racial power, I'd try to tie it to each color. Gold could have a healing power, Silver could slide enemies (since blue is the tricky color), and so on. I'm thinking of powers that have less of an offensive component (given that they're), but could be counter-based or utility in nature.

Good luck with those races. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
While I agree with the rest of what Hanzo said, I'm going to have to strongly recommend against this:
- In terms of racial power, I'd try to tie it to each color. Gold could have a healing power, Silver could slide enemies (since blue is the tricky color), and so on.

For homebrewers that are just starting out, simplicity is the key to success. Having to create and balance multiple powers is more complicated than people realize, and so in the spirit of keeping it simple, I recommend creating only a single power.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
If you feel the need to include variations based on the different mana colours, you can simply use racial feats that are mutually exclusive, similar to the sun and moon elf feats in FRPG.

Nothing.

That is all.

Oh wonderful, I have people giving input =) though it took a day or two, I am most pleased by this.

I will get down to a few things, I am not exactly very good at using more than one quote so i'll just put your name then my response to your post.

Kabooki - It's only recently they have been made into an official tribe from what I have read, so i'm glad they got some recognition, despite they are setting specific.
-As for trances, my idea is that their trance is more of a "recharge" but applies to only that 6 hours needed to regain class power use.
-Yes I focus on the mana myr because they seem the most basic, they may not be the most basic in design, but whenever there was a deck that had myr, it was always the mana myr.  They are a basic 1/1 artifact creature with a very simple tap to gain some mana.

Hanzo - I actually want Living Construct ala Warforged and Shardmind, the only reason I didn't add them was because I actually forgot what the racial ability was called despite I own the phb3 and didn't think to check it.  DERP.  I'll be adding that.
-You must think like me or maybe it's extremely obvious, because I was EXACTLY going with Con + Dex or Int as it's ability bonuses.  I will further discuss this.

C.C. + Hanzo - I will discuss racial power.

Now, some reasoning for my decisions.  Firstly I wanted +2 endurance and perception because it fits their backstory.  Made to observe, obviously the better the perception, the better they could perceive.  The endurance is that they have the ability to do this for as long as possible, not because they are robots but because it's what they were designed for, being made to do observe until they became too damaged to continue or whatnot, it was literally the ONLY thing they did, so they might as well have been made to do it as well as one could.

Ability Bonus:  +2 Con plus +2 Dex or +2 Int.  Now we are delving into them both being possible PC's and their backstory still.  They still retain the ability of which they had before, so even after attaining free will they could still continue their first command should they wish to do so and continue their "lives" as it already was.  Being originally mindless automotons I threw out charisma and wisdom automatically, it just came down to strength.  Eventually I decided that strength wouldn't fit, dexterity fits because I felt that in their act of observing, they had at least the idea or the command to be as unnoticable as possible, even if they would stand right in plain sight.  This meant they knew how to move somewhat fluidly for machine creatures, disturbing as little of the environment as possible, along with keeping silent, or obvserving in a position that required physical finesse.
-Intelligence now fits in their with more recent history, or rather what happens to them when they achieve self-awareness.  My fluff will say that some Myr are prone to strokes of brilliance, and that their sense of devotion carries on into anything they do, any profession, craft, or hobby they take up they do so with a devoted passion, striving to be absolute masters in whatever they do, wanting to know the ins-and-outs of whatever they are involved in.

I focus on the mana myr because if I said before they are the most "basic" in my eyes.  I am thinking in my mind as well that in some way these mana myr have the ability to manipulate magic and become spellcasters of some sort unlike other myr.  How that would be so, I am still deciding.

Racial power(s)... I believe I will give them only one, but perhaps it brances depending on their type of galvinized body.  I have had a few ideas in my head.  I thought to myself "what do the abilities of the myr do?"  That answer is that the mana myr bolster others in some way, much like slivers.  Some give colored mana, outside the mana myr, some give colorless mana or other myr +1/+1 ala Galvinizing Myr.  So I been thinking that their racial power could basically classify itself as a party-wide racial support power.

I was thinking of granting the myr's resistance to all party members until the end of his next turn... but that doesn't seem useful at all tiers of play, not to mention the idea that you'd run into something that you are resistant to would happen only a handful number of times in a given campaign (unless you had knowledge of the campaign before hand and so you pick a myr that is resistant against something you're likely to see much of, in which case you in a sense no-longer roleplaying, but roll-playing to beat the DM).

Perhaps party wide bonus damage with a type that is the same as your resistance?  If so then would the bonus be a static number or will it be an additional die-roll ontop of your initial damage (say an extra d6)? 

I will supply an extremely rough idea of what I mean, note that EVERYTHING could be subject to change and is PURELY to be as an example, nothing is set in stone in any way.

Elemental Radiance (just a name I threw together)
Myr Racial Power
Encounter
Minor Action
Tapping into the very core of it's body, the Myr temporarily bathes itself, its allies and their weapons in a pulse of energy.Until the end of your next turn, yourself and all allies you can see receive a +4 bonus to damage on their next damage roll with a type the same as your galvinized body resistance.  This bonus increases to +7 at paragon tier and +10 at epic tier.

Now of course if I do use this route I would have a racial feat that allow the bonus damage to have an extra typing chosen among those from galvinized body, BUT I would NOT have a feat that allowed you to have a second kind of resistance.  Also, bonus damage seems better than bonus to hit because it allows me to use higher bonus numbers, obviously.  As well as the fact that the bonus damage applies to only their FIRST damage roll before the end of the myr's next turn.
This is pretty tight.
[/sblock] [sblock=signature] I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's
I suppose I see Myr as a defensive creature. Giving bonus damage is not what many myr do in MtG. My thoughts are that they should be self preserving. They have a job to do and they are programed to get it done. Often times there are multiples of them but I picture them caring only of their mission not others so much. If you wanted to keep what you have as a racial power, I would look to Half-Orc's power to realize how yours is a little unbalanced.

I think you nailed the stat boosts and the living construct is what I was thinking myr needed but I also did not look it up.

You are doing great and I really would like to see this succeed.

I think the whole Mirrodin story should become part of D&D: creation, Memnarch's rule and, in particular, the Phyrexian infection.

I vote Mirrodin/New Phyrexia campaign setting for 2012
It could totally happen. Or, some guy could make a whole new roleplaying game out of the universe. Wizards would do it! They like their money.

Would these guys be considered small? You could still give them the 6 movement though like Kobolds.

It could totally happen. Or, some guy could make a whole new roleplaying game out of the universe. Wizards would do it! They like their money.

Would these guys be considered small? You could still give them the 6 movement though like Kobolds.

4 feet tall and higher is considered medium I believe, and besides I been envisioning them on par to the height of dwarfs.  So medium, but on a the small side of medium.
Hardened Coating
Encounter
Minor
Power Type: Personal
Gains resist all damage equal to your highest resistance against the next attack that does damage.

The flavor of these guys are perfect and almost written for you. I am still uncertain of the racial power. I like this one personally because it makes the resistance that your Myr have is a little more relevant.

Here is another idea:

Mana Expulsion
Encounter
Immediate Reaction
Power type: Varies
Trigger: You take damage
Deal damage equal to one resistance you possess.
(Perilous Myr as a card reference)
(May also be specific to the racial resistance.)

Have you given any thought to racial feats or paragon paths? What myr card could you look to for a paragon path?

The changes look good. Personally, I was a little surprised by the Medium size simply because I always envisioned the mana myr being Small, but it's not that big a deal.

For racial power, I thought of some kind of energy absorption, like...

Myr Mana Charge
Encounter * Varies
Immediate Reaction      Personal
Trigger: You take damage of the same type chosen by your Galvanized Body racial trait.
Effect: You gain a bonus to your next damage roll equal to half the damage you took. This damage is the same type as you chose for your Galvanized Body racial trait and must be applied before the end of your next turn. Otherwise, the bonus damage is lost.

It might be too strong, actually, but that was my thought. Or maybe you could regain hp equal to half your healing surge value when you take damage from the chosen energy type. I don't know, just a thought.

That said, I think you've done a good job overall.
Thank you for the enthusiasm.

I'm still giving great thought on what his racial power should be.

This racial power I think is going to take a long time and your suggestions are ALWAYS welcomed.  Someone thought my idea was a bit too powerful and to compare it to the half-orc racial power.  The difference is that the half-orc racial power requires no action and is applied after you hit.   Though maybe my idea is still a bit OP.

As for your suggestions...

Hardened coating:  Not sure...

Mana Expulsion:  I was actually thinking of a power like this today

Myr Mana Charge:  Far too situational in having to be hit by that specific energy type.

of these 3 I like Mana expulsion the most, but thats all i'm saying.

As for a racial paragon path, I been thinking of possibly using another myr card for inspiration.  Galvinizing Myr Perhaps?  Or perhaps Palladium Myr?

Feats... well of course they will be there, and some will be based off the racial power... something like..

Hardened Coating (sorry for re-using the name):  Increase the resistance granted by your Galvinized Body ability by 3.  (I think there is a feat like this elsewhere, if anyone could point it out to me, that would be great)

If I used Mana Expulsion... (lets call it elemental expulsion for the moment since I don't think D&D even makes any mentions of mana)
Elemental Variance
Choose one damage type other than the typing used by your Elemental Expulsion Racial Power, your Racial power now deals this damage type ontop of the one already used.  (not sure how I can word this better.  Basically if you did fire damage originally but got the feat Elemental Variance (Divine), then your racial power would deal the same damage, but the damage would be fire and divine damage both.)
OK!  Time for an update.

I been thinking and for the moment I shall go with the mana expulsion power, but it will go for a name change and such along with some change to it

Volatile Feedback Myr Racial Power
Upon being struck, your body discharges an arc of energy at your attacker.
Encounter
Free Action
Trigger:  You take damage. 
Close Burst 10
Target:  One creature
Effect:  You deal 5 damage of the same type as your galvinizing body resistance to the enemy who dealt you damage. 
Isn't that almost exactly like the Tiefling racial power, though?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

they are similar in concept but thats it.  Tiefling gives you a bonus on your next attack against that person and extra bonus damage if it hits

myr is just straight damage upon being hit and it's a static number, it's not added to weapon/implement power. 
they are similar in concept but thats it.  Tiefling gives you a bonus on your next attack against that person and extra bonus damage if it hits

Ah, you're using the old Tiefling power. The developers realized that power sucked so they gave them a slightly less horrible power via errata:

Infernal Wrath
You call upon the hellfire burning in your soul to punish your enemy.
Encounter Fire
Free Action, Close burst 10
Trigger: An enemy within 10 squares of you hits you.
Target: The triggering enemy in the burst
Effect: The target takes 1d6 + Intelligence modifier or Charisma modifier fire damage.
Level 11: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier or Charisma modifier fire damage.
Level 21: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier or Charisma modifier fire damage.

myr is just straight damage upon being hit and it's a static number, it's not added to weapon/implement power. 

The tiefling power has been errataed, Crimson is referring to the new version.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Nothing.

That is all.

awwww man ._. i never knew of this!

Now I feel very much less inclined to use that power.

edit:  More power suggestions would be wonderful, please ._. 
Go ahead use the word: mana.

Next Galvanized body is kinda confusing. Is there a base resistance somewhere for those +5s to be added to? or is a myr only resisting 5 damage of the listed type?

Powers: Well myr were built primarily to watch, and to build.

Or you could give them a power based on their galvanized body.
Volatile Feedback

I like it as is. The power suggests that a Myr should not be interrupted from what it is doing. This is a deterrent or self defense defense mechanism. It is a free action and that is why it can not deal a damage die and a modifier. It could however deal just a modifier. Con would make sense for this. Or you could make the damage the greatest of the myr's Str, Con, or Dex much like Drangonbreath to hit. this way it tiers a little character grows.

==In Addition==
Have you considered melding the two powers slightly.

Immediate Reaction
Trigger: A creature deals damage to you
Effect: Reduce the damage by 5 and that creature takes 5 damage of the type chosen for your (such and such) racial power.

The "5" could also equal "a number equal to your Str, Con, or Dex mod".

@Kabooki:  I was actually thinking something akin to 5 + half level for the resistance, which would make them comperable Devas who get that for both Radiant AND Necrotic damage.

Looking over the race, I was thinking of suggesting Intelligence as their primary with Dex or Con as their secondary.  No real reasoning behind it it just feels more...appropriate to me, I guess.

I would also include something else that could possibly increase their Perception, since they have a bonus to that skill but no innate Wis bonus.  Maybe something along the lines of an alternate stat to use for Perception checks?  Or using a Knowledge skill in place of Perception, that could have interesting side effects and flavor.

Their telepathy is a little strong, I think.  You should give them a range - at least for non-Myr characters.  It would make sense to be able to speak with other Myr a long distance away since that's how a hive mind works, but for other characters that don't have that innate mental relationship, I would imagine it would be weaker just because Myr just plain have more experience communicating with each other over non-Myrs...I would imagine, anyway.

As for a power, I'm all for increasing damage output, but I think Rampart is on to something - when I think of most Myr, I think of scouts and crafters.  They run around the front lines, gather information, retrieve broken items, repair broken items, repair themselves, etc.  It wasn't until the world became infected by Phyrexia's taint that they began to weaponize.  Thus, I suggest being able to choose a racial power at first level:

Volatile Feedback
Emergency systems activated.  Initiating counter measures.
Encounter Varies
Free Action
Trigger: You become bloodied.
Target: The triggering enemy
Effect: You deal an additional 5 + Con, Int, or Dex mod damage to the target with attacks you make before the end of your turn.  Damage dealt this way is the same as the resistance given by your Galvanized Body class feature.
Special:  You choose which ability score this power uses at character creation.

Myr Hivemind
Your innate connection with those those around you allows everyone to react faster.
Encounter Varies
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: You or an ally within 5 squares of you becomes the target of an attack by an enemy.
Effect: You or the ally targetted by the attack may shift a number of squares equal to your Con, Int, or Dex modifier.

Also, I'd like to point out a really REALLY minor detail - I think you mean Cold damage instead of Frost.  Not too terribly important, really, but if we're trying to keep terminology uniform and all, it might be best to change it.  ^ ^;  But feel free to shoot any/all my ideas down.  Goodness knows I'm not anywhere CLOSE to being the expert on Myrs.
Custom Races
Kt'Lahn (Last Update: Oct 22, 2010)
Noble tiger people who will do almost anything to maintain honor.

Custom Classes
Soulforged (Last Update: Jul 23, 2010)
Incarnum Defender

PEACH if you would.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White

More power suggestions? I might have a few:

- I suggested on a previous post that you could make a power where myr hit by their resisted energy type can regain hp equal to 1/2 their surge value. That's a possibility. This could be the real "Myr Mana Charge".
- The hive mind reminds me of a racial power I used on one of my own races that was based on a pack mentality. It was an encounter power that allowed a +1 bonus to the next attack against an adjacent enemy for every ally (including the user) adjacent to that enemy. This could be called "Hive Might".
- You could always do something like the tiefling's Infernal Wrath, like everyone said, but I think it should be different.
- You could make a power where, if you're hit by an attack, you can give up your resistance (until the end of your next turn) and deal that amount of damage (as the same energy type) to the enemy that hit you. I'd make it an immediate interrupt, just so you can have the flavor of an enemy taking that damage as soon they hit you (kinda like getting electrocuted when you touch the wire). I think close burst 5 would be fine, too (if it's ranged, you provoke OA's). I like the name "Mana Burst".
- You could design a power where you transfer your resistance to another ally until the end of your next turn, losing your resistance in the process. "Mana Transfer" seems an okay name.
Go ahead use the word: mana.

Next Galvanized body is kinda confusing. Is there a base resistance somewhere for those +5s to be added to? or is a myr only resisting 5 damage of the listed type?

Powers: Well myr were built primarily to watch, and to build.

Or you could give them a power based on their galvanized body.

The power gives you a base resistance to an element based on the galvinized body you chose.  Sorry if it was confusing.  If you are a leaden myr, you have 5 necrotic resistance.

@Kabooki:  I was actually thinking something akin to 5 + half level for the resistance, which would make them comperable Devas who get that for both Radiant AND Necrotic damage.

Looking over the race, I was thinking of suggesting Intelligence as their primary with Dex or Con as their secondary.  No real reasoning behind it it just feels more...appropriate to me, I guess.

I would also include something else that could possibly increase their Perception, since they have a bonus to that skill but no innate Wis bonus.  Maybe something along the lines of an alternate stat to use for Perception checks?  Or using a Knowledge skill in place of Perception, that could have interesting side effects and flavor.

Their telepathy is a little strong, I think.  You should give them a range - at least for non-Myr characters.  It would make sense to be able to speak with other Myr a long distance away since that's how a hive mind works, but for other characters that don't have that innate mental relationship, I would imagine it would be weaker just because Myr just plain have more experience communicating with each other over non-Myrs...I would imagine, anyway.

As for a power, I'm all for increasing damage output, but I think Rampart is on to something - when I think of most Myr, I think of scouts and crafters.  They run around the front lines, gather information, retrieve broken items, repair broken items, repair themselves, etc.  It wasn't until the world became infected by Phyrexia's taint that they began to weaponize.  Thus, I suggest being able to choose a racial power at first level:

Volatile Feedback
Emergency systems activated.  Initiating counter measures.
Encounter Varies
Free Action
Trigger: You become bloodied.
Target: The triggering enemy
Effect: You deal an additional 5 + Con, Int, or Dex mod damage to the target with attacks you make before the end of your turn.  Damage dealt this way is the same as the resistance given by your Galvanized Body class feature.

Myr Hivemind
Your innate connection with those those around you allows everyone to react faster.
Encounter Varies
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: You or an ally within 5 squares of you becomes the target of an attack by an enemy.
Effect: You or the ally targetted by the attack may shift a number of squares equal to your Con, Int, or Dex modifier.

Also, I'd like to point out a really REALLY minor detail - I think you mean Cold damage instead of Frost.  Not too terribly important, really, but if we're trying to keep terminology uniform and all, it might be best to change it.  ^ ^;  But feel free to shoot any/all my ideas down.  Goodness knows I'm not anywhere CLOSE to being the expert on Myrs.

Yes I meant cold damage, it's been a while since I actually played... despite i'm in a game but it has yet to really begin.  As for the resistance I'll take a look at the deva's.   Also, whats overpowered about telepathy? O_o Shardminds have it... but they also have languages which I will add to the myr also.  My thinking is that they can speak only in languages they know, but can do so telepathically.

Volatile Feedback

I like it as is. The power suggests that a Myr should not be interrupted from what it is doing. This is a deterrent or self defense defense mechanism. It is a free action and that is why it can not deal a damage die and a modifier. It could however deal just a modifier. Con would make sense for this. Or you could make the damage the greatest of the myr's Str, Con, or Dex much like Drangonbreath to hit. this way it tiers a little character grows.

==In Addition==
Have you considered melding the two powers slightly.

Immediate Reaction
Trigger: A creature deals damage to you
Effect: Reduce the damage by 5 and that creature takes 5 damage of the type chosen for your (such and such) racial power.

The "5" could also equal "a number equal to your Str, Con, or Dex mod".

You give me another idea, how about ontop of the damage, the enemy that is the target of your racial power also becomes...ummm... the opposite of resistance (vulnerable?  weakness? i forget) towards that particular element as well until the end of your next turn?  Though that sounds still a bit too strong for a racial power (i am starting to think i'm making these guys slightly underpowered) but it could definitely work for a feat at the very least.

More power suggestions? I might have a few:

- I suggested on a previous post that you could make a power where myr hit by their resisted energy type can regain hp equal to 1/2 their surge value. That's a possibility. This could be the real "Myr Mana Charge".
- The hive mind reminds me of a racial power I used on one of my own races that was based on a pack mentality. It was an encounter power that allowed a +1 bonus to the next attack against an adjacent enemy for every ally (including the user) adjacent to that enemy. This could be called "Hive Might".
- You could always do something like the tiefling's Infernal Wrath, like everyone said, but I think it should be different.
- You could make a power where, if you're hit by an attack, you can give up your resistance (until the end of your next turn) and deal that amount of damage (as the same energy type) to the enemy that hit you. I'd make it an immediate interrupt, just so you can have the flavor of an enemy taking that damage as soon they hit you (kinda like getting electrocuted when you touch the wire). I think close burst 5 would be fine, too (if it's ranged, you provoke OA's). I like the name "Mana Burst".
- You could design a power where you transfer your resistance to another ally until the end of your next turn, losing your resistance in the process. "Mana Transfer" seems an okay name.

The new infernal wrath is quite powerful I think, makes my power look rather weak... but maybe I could keep the power I have since it's the still the same concept, but done a bit differently.

D-born breath is a minor action that deals a damage dice + a modifier, potentially to multiple targets, with a chance to crit (although critting with d-breath is a waste of a 20 most days).
I love the idea of myr as a playable race :D  I don't have a game going right now, but when I do, I'll definitely be including Myr, especially since my roomie is more into sci-fi than fantasy, so I think adding another slightly sci-fi flavored race will appeal to him.  They'd be small in any game I DM'ed, because Brass Squire is about 3 feet tall, and that's the only myr shown with a strong point-of-reference for size relative to other races.

For anyone interested, here's a racial pic in similar style to, and at the same dimensions as, the racial pics in the PHBs.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/reydragk/myr_longSky.jpg)

Image Sources:  Brass Squire, Coretapper, and Contested War Zone
@Fox_Reeveheart:  The difference is that both Shardminds and Kalashtar are telepathic out to 5 squares - you didn't have a range listed on your racial block.  However, I see now that you added 'However it works for shardminds', so that would work as defining the limits of the power.
Custom Races
Kt'Lahn (Last Update: Oct 22, 2010)
Noble tiger people who will do almost anything to maintain honor.

Custom Classes
Soulforged (Last Update: Jul 23, 2010)
Incarnum Defender

PEACH if you would.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White

I really think you are right on track with the Myr race. Would you consider creating a racial paragon path? I think it may be helpful in determining what the "ideal" Myr would be. What functions of the Myr race are exemplified in a true hero Myr?

Thoughts:

• Expanding Volatile Feedback (bloodied or free trigger) to be close burst 1

• Better telepathy

• Another resistance

• Better perception

• Choose the damage of Volatile Feedback to any one of the five

I am bumping this thread out of care for this topic. I find it sad that this tread has died and I would like to see it revived. Sadly I don't have the time. Is someone willing to venture further in creating a Paragon Path and Epic Destiny for this proud race. I would really like to persue this myself but will be doing mission work for a year and will be rather busy.

Enjoy life,

Jason  

I knew someone had made these!  I've recently gotten back into MTG, and was reminded how much I love Myr, so tracking down this thread to combine my love of the two was a great thing. 

So, basically Bump, but to actually contribute something: I would swap out the Endurance bonus for a +2 to Thievery. Myr are often rebuilding things, including themselves, so it makes sense to have the requisite manual dexterity for delicate trap work. 

Similarly, a few ideas for Feats:

Field Repairer - Prerequisite: Myr
Benefit: Whenever you spend a surge to regain hit points, you also gain temp HP equal to half your healing surge value.  If you would cause an ally with the living construct racial feature to spend a surge to regain hit points, they gain Temp HP equal to half their surge value. 

Propagator - Prerequisite: Myr
Benefit: (rough idea, not mechanically sound yet) If you are ever reduced to 0 or below, the first time each encounter, you get back up at your bloodied value (and lose 1~2 surge(s)), but can only use At-Will attack powers and item powers. (Myr constantly rebuilding themselves)
hahaha oh wow, my thread has been necroed by someone else after just barely over a year

I almost completely forgot about this.  Unfortunately doesn't seem like there is much point with the last book being the last 4e supplement  
Take heart, Fox! D&D Next sounds like nothing I want to play. The Myr race is a great idea and there have been some very unique feedback on here. This is one of the few player created character races I would allow in a game. Thematic, unique and fun, the Myr race as it has been conceptualized on this thread increases the fun of every player of D&D who ever has played Magic the Gathering. If you are willing, keep working on it. I am willing to aid when I can too.

I don't suppose any one has ideas for a Myr Surperion? Or in that case would it be better to just go with warforged?
I don't suppose any one has ideas for a Myr Surperion? Or in that case would it be better to just go with warforged?

It would, yes.
Sign In to post comments