Custom Powers?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Long time Gamma World fan, recent D&D Gamma World convert. And I'm loving it.
I have never played D&D 4e, so maybe this question is answered somewhere else.

Anyway, are their guidlines for creating new powers for players and creatures?

Official or fan-made is fine.       
slyflourish.com/gamma_world_cheat_sheet.pdf
Thank you.
I was also askingabout special effects like push and pull, burst and blast, damage types, etc. 
A recent official article on terrain powers--that is, pre-built mechanics for cool environmental tricks like swinging on chandeliers or dumping vats of boiling oil--offers sort of a tier system of non-damage effects which might be useful in developing new powers.

Tier 1
• additional damage type (meaning the attack has a better chance of bypassing a resistiance or triggering a vulnerability)
• shift one square

Tier 2
• deafen
• gain concealment and/or cover
• knock prone
• ongoing damage
• shift multiple squares
• push, pull, or slide enemy up to 4 squares

Tier 3
• -2 to a defense
• gain combat advantage
• mark (that is, -2 to attacks against all targets but the user of the power)

Tier 4
• blind
• daze
• immobilize
• restrain
• weaken

Tier 5
• dominate
• petrify
• stun

Now, I'm not sure that all these necessarily have the same potence in GW as in D&D, and the list certainly doesn't cover all the effects a Gamma World power can include (notably, there's no mention of healing effects), but it's a good start.  Between this list, Sly Flourish's excellent cheat sheet, and simply eyeballing the existing powers in the book, you ought to be able to come up with some stuff.

I don't know of any official guidelines for area effects, but I did notice that, in her very awesome Weapon Shoppe, Oraibi balances blast and burst weapons against regular guns of the same type by reducing their accuracy bonus by 2 points and average base damage by about a quarter (for light weapons) or a third (for heavy weapons).  (Oraibi, if this is based on any official math or guidelines, I'd really like to know about them.)

Finally, remember that game balance is not a major concern in Gamma World--not compared to D&D, anyway--so feel free to do cool stuff without worrying too much.
That is exactly what I was lloking for. Thank you.

One more favor, if someone would be so kind.

I don't have any of the D&D 4e books and have never played it. (Though if it's as fun as GW I may check it out.)

Which of the books give guidlines on creating or customizinf creatures?

One of the DM Guides? Monster Vault?

Thank you so much.   
Sign In to post comments