Lots of players

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maybe some one else has also faced this problem: I've got a group of more than 20 players showing up weekly and 4 DMs running a table each. Week 1 we had 24 players, this week we are anticipating 28.

I've run with overfilled tables one or two sessions at a time, but it is starting to look like we are going to have consistently high numbers of attendees. I'd love to hear some suggestions to ensure no one is turned away, but we keep the tables 5-6 players for more enjoyable sessions.  
I too have this problem, we have been consistently running 30-40 players and we have 5-6 tables playing (6 tables of 6 players typically). It seems to peaked and I have a pool of players that come and go depending on work, school, etc.

I have 6 DMs with a couple available to sub. I think that is the key to making this work and having enough DMs with materials/desire to run the tables. If you get too big, work with the store and have a second night available to play.
Can you stager the time you start? so with say 30 players and 5 to a table and 4 DMs' you can do 4 at 6pm and then 2 (or 3) tables at 8 pm this way each table gets 100% of the Dm's time but everyone get to play.

Not sure that would work at your location but it has at a location I played season 2 at.
That is one consideration. It would be hard to ask any of the DMs to volunteer more of their time by providing two time slots that they are sitting in.

I talked with our WPN Regional Representative also. He's sending a fifth packet. Having five tables spreads out the players. Of course each DM has a different pattern of start times. I typically start later than scheduled; because, as the store organizer, I want to make sure everyone else has filled their table, has minis, has a DCI number, has a character, etc. Another starts promptly on-time; because, he needs to get finished in a timely manner and get back home.

Hopefully, the numbers remain high and remain consistent. Having a player attend once or twice now that we are starting to have such a group of regulars makes for a larger disruption than when we had a small number of sporadic players.    
What I've seen done when DMs aren't going to be available is ask some of the more experienced players if they are willing to DM the following week. Try to have some of the existing DMs or store let them use resources such as minis/DM screens if they are available.  In Edmonton, Alberta we've had DMs who are sick and can't make it or other issues arising and we simply asked the players who wanted to DM and there was always one who was willing. Most of the players subbing as DMs will only focus on the one encounter since they don't want to spoil the story/events of subsequent encounters for themselves.

If the players really want to continue playing ask them if they can play at 6:00 but then stick around and then DM at an 8:00 for a different group.
That is one consideration. It would be hard to ask any of the DMs to volunteer more of their time by providing two time slots that they are sitting in.

You could also stagger DMs.  You might be able to get a couple more DMs as long as they have the opportunity to play as well.

You could also stagger DMs.  You might be able to get a couple more DMs as long as they have the opportunity to play as well.

This is what we are doing in Syracuse NY.  Last week I was one of the DM's and this week I played!
Sign In to post comments