my updated map of nentir vale

112 posts / 0 new
Last post

Fixed link to Map V18 2013/12/12

I updated the map with locations i found in articles and would like to share it.

If anyone has some sugestions please post them.

Edit: I updated the picture to Version 2
        Thanks for all the input.

Update V3:
Ghost Tower (Witchlight Fens)
Andok Sur (Old Hills)
Castle Inverness (Between Hammerfast and Harkenwold)
Saruun Khel (Thunderspire)
Sunderpeak Temple (Cairngorm Peaks)
Duponde (Briar Hills)
Restwell Keep (moved. it's east of the king's wall)

Update V4:
Duponde (removed - is in Therunde)
White outside to text and roads

Update V5:
Placed all 'three legendary ghost towers' (one is located at Kalton Manor)

Update V6:
Lake Peak renamed to Glimmerpeak (Hammerfast Supplement)
Sentinel renamed to Stravallas Tower (Hammerfast Supplement)
Dungeon of the Fire Opal (Hammerfast Supplement)
Lake Dunmere and Dunmere Ruins (Hammerfast Supplement)

The Map is now also in the Wiki of the Nentir Vale Group

Update V7:
Corrected Ghost Towers - #1 at Kalton Manor, #2 at Castle Inverness, #3 removed (unknown yet)
Changed Text to Serif Font

Update V8:
The Miser's Pit (Cairngorm Peaks)

Update V9:
2 Troll Caves (Foothills Cairngom Mountains - Hurly-Burly Brothers from Monster Vault Excerpts)

Update V10:
The Hermitage, Treewater and Renefik (Witchlight Fens - Dungeon 191)

Update V11:
The Hermitag renamed to Witchlight Hermitage
Replaced some red dots with icons

Update V12:
renamed Dagger Keep to Daggerburg

Update V13
- Cold Camp, the stronghold of the Frost Witches (Lake Nen)
- Spiderhaunt Thicket is the name of the Harken Forest north of the  King's Road and Harkenwold
- Crestwater Tower sits on the Nentir River as it enters the Fens, and was destroyed by Shadowmire the Black.
- Cairnwater Caves, home to Shadowmire the Black (Witchlight Fens)
- The ruins of the village of Blackleaf lie somewhere along the edge of  the Witchlight Fens.
- Rolaz-Gaar, an Arkhosian ruin, lies near the shore of Lake Nen
- An unnamed Arkhosian ruin lies within the Ogrefist Hills.

Update V14
Locations from MV Nentir Vale
- Old Barrows (South of Nenlast)
- Kulkoszar's Lair (Stonemarch - Bloodspear Orcs)
- Gray Company Headqueartes (Gray Downs)
- Gravelstoke Mansion (Harkenwold)
- Harken's Heart (Harken Forest Druids)
- Dwarven Fort Ruins (Dawnforge Foothills)
- Shadowfang's Camp (Winterbole Forest)
- Fellis's Farm (NE of Fallcrest)
- Catacombs (Witchlight Fens)
- Daggerburg moved west to edge of fens

Update V15
- Moved Harken's Heart south

Update V16:
Wenly Halt - Halfling Village near Chaos Scar
Desul Torey - Village in Harkenwold

Update V17:
- Pyramid of Shadows (Winterbole Forest)

Update V18:
- Riverslye Homestead (Dungeon 205 Prey for Smiley Bob)

View Full

Fixed links

Yes.  Don't make it look like it put through the rack (torture room device).

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

That's not his fault.  The forums have a maximum width.

Celebrate our differences.

Yes.  Don't make it look like it put through the rack (torture room device).

If you right-click on the image and use 'view image' you get to see the full picture.
@__@

This is what I was about to do.  It's EXACTLY what I needed.  Thanks for saving me the trouble.

A couple mentions, though:  First, it's Tor's Hold, not Thor's Hold, according to the Harkenwold map.  Second, the road to Lakepeak is south from Hammerfast, not east from the road between Harkenwold and Hammerfast.  Third, Toadwallow is a ruins, not a village.

Finally, it's missing Dal Nystiere in the Harken Forest, as well as Sentinel and Forgepeak in the Dawnforge Mountains. 

Otherwise, it's all good.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Kiris Dahn from HS-1 The Slaying Stone
@__@

This is what I was about to do.  It's EXACTLY what I needed.  Thanks for saving me the trouble.

A couple mentions, though:  First, it's Tor's Hold, not Thor's Hold, according to the Harkenwold map.  Second, the road to Lakepeak is south from Hammerfast, not east from the road between Harkenwold and Hammerfast.  Third, Toadwallow is a ruins, not a village.

Finally, it's missing Dal Nystiere in the Harken Forest, as well as Sentinel and Forgepeak in the Dawnforge Mountains. 

Otherwise, it's all good.

I'll relocate and add the missing locations.

Thanks for the input
 Kiris Dahn from HS-1 The Slaying Stone

I'll add it.

Thanks for the input
I updated the image to version 2 with the input from Marandahir and Caliber42
kueryd, this is really good. Nice work. Can I ask what program you used?

One minor observation: In Orcs of Stonefang Pass it says that Timbervale is reached by following the trade road SW (not NW) from Winterhaven (though I think I prefer the way you've done it)
kueryd, this is really good. Nice work. Can I ask what program you used?

One minor observation: In Orcs of Stonefang Pass it says that Timbervale is reached by following the trade road SW (not NW) from Winterhaven (though I think I prefer the way you've done it)

I did it with Gimp. It's free and very good for such things.
When i'm full done i'll upload the gimp-xcf file (8 MB at the moment), sooner if anyone desperatly wants it.

Regarding Stonefang Pass you are correct.
I changed it based on the nerath boardgame map.
West is now the stonemarch and below the stonemarch are the trollhaunt warrens.
So for reopening a trade route trough stonefang pass the NW was for me the better location.
In the Cairngom Peaks is a monastery.
Does anybody remember what it is called?
I can't find the article with it's description.
Very nice job. Also, Castle Inverness or the ruins of Inverness are located about half way between Hammerfast & Harkenwold according to last seasons "March of the Phantom Brigade" encounter program.
That reminds me, the village of Duponde, where Evard died, is located upriver on the White River, to the north of Harkenwold, but supposedly a few days north.  This doesn't make sense (the White River flows straight through the Harkenwold, but is definitely north of Harken, but not by a few days). 

The issue here (beyond reusing an almost exact image of Brindol twisted and relabeled, minus a bridge and some fields and trees), is that the heroes are supposed to be going to Sarthel from Fallcrest, which is south, not north.  There is no reason they'd be heading north from Harkenwold to Duponde – the only explanation is that they'd be heading south from Hammerfast rather than taking the King's Road through the Harken Forest. 

So, we assume this is true.  But the River goes straight THROUGH the Harkenwold.  It's not a few days north of the Harkenwold.  It's maybe 10 miles north of Harken.  That's not a few days distance.  So maybe they mean it's a few days upriver.  That would actually make sense – if they were a few days SOUTH and had followed the river from Albridge or Easthill rather than taken the King's Road through the Harken Forest on the way to Sarthel.  But if they're going upriver from Harkenwold to Duponde NORTH, they're going WAY out of their way. 

The whole thing is suspect in its location, from reusing the Brindol map to the description.  Let alone the fact that they said they abandoned the letter-carrier plot hook because the PCs were too caught up on the idea that their letter to Sarthel was more important than investigating the tomb.  This was explained in a Design & Development.  The whole thing stinks of confusion.

As for my suggestion, the only possible way to reconcile this with the map is to say they weren't a few days north of Harkenwold, but a few day's south, and had followed the White River.  I would place Duponde along the upper flows of the southern branch of the river in the Briar Hills between the Harken Forest and the Dawnforge Mountains.  That's east of the King's Road to Sarthel, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me now.   And there ARE forest trails heading east.   I would place it right where the Harkenwold map has that forest trail that intersects the King's Road crosses the southernmost tributary.  That's 40 miles on the road from Harken, which is about a day's travel, especially if the PCs got lost in the woods and turned along the east road rather than following the southern road.

I would also suggest adding in a dotted line road through the forest from Dagger Keep to Dal Nystiere to the Woodsinger Camp and on through the King's Road to that river crossing as I said.  There's also a similar road south from the road between Marl and Harken that crosses the road near the Woodsinger Camp, and another that goes through the forest from Kalton Manor to Marl.   And of course the roads from Albridge to Marl, Toadwallow, and Dardun.

If you wanted to make a few things cleaner, you could delete your trails where they went through words like Harkenwold (it's implied that it's the same road). 

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I am starting a Chaos Scar Plus campaign for my nephews at the end of the month, while they are all here for the summer. This will come in super handy!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
thanks kueryd. I agree that where you've put the pass makes a lot more sense.
Updated to Version 3.

Thanks for all the input
great job on this !
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
Wow, kueryd, this looks absolutely fantastic.  It's really coming together.  

Great job, thanks.

@Duponde: Rich Baker mentioned in his chat with the community, that Duponde is in Therund. I think they may have relocalized it, because the Nentir Vale is more familiar. About waht I hear here they have done it badly. But I haven't received new Encounters Kit yet. It seems WotC had had some promblems to get it to Germany in time . I hope it's there this evening.
There we go.  That makes sense, more sense than my attempt at deciphering it – since Therund is south of Harkenwold and east of Sarthel, and would follow the King's Road.

kueryd, thanks for humouring me, though that means it's likely that Duponde isn't on the map.  That road to the rivers there would still be, though.

Can I make a technical suggestion? I assume Gimp uses layers, yes? If so then make a new layer just above the background layer, copy and paste all your text onto it, select the text and give it a 1pt or 2pt outside white stroke. This will give the same effect as the text and the base map itself and will make it far more readable.

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work.
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
Can I make a technical suggestion? I assume Gimp uses layers, yes? If so then make a new layer just above the background layer, copy and paste all your text onto it, select the text and give it a 1pt or 2pt outside white stroke. This will give the same effect as the text and the base map itself and will make it far more readable.

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work.

Thanks for that hint.

Version 4 is online
One thing I forgot to mention this afternoon: In the Dungeons #182 adventure "Dungeon of the Ghost Tower" it is revealed that, the Ghost Tower of the WItchlight Fens is a part of Kalton Manor. I've played this adventure with my group as an Encounters side trek.
Sweet map, kueryd!  Very cool, will be using this. 

Can't wait for an official Nentire Vale setting world map sometime in the future (beyond the board game one, in case there's differences).
LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind
One thing I forgot to mention this afternoon: In the Dungeons #182 adventure "Dungeon of the Ghost Tower" it is revealed that, the Ghost Tower of the WItchlight Fens is a part of Kalton Manor. I've played this adventure with my group as an Encounters side trek.

You are correct.
I reread that article, but decided to let the tower remain.

In the free solo adventure 'Gost Tower of the Witchlight Fens' i found this:

“I have searched these lands, following many rumors
about the thief ’s fate. Eventually I learned that he died
many years ago and was interred in a secret tower on the
edge of the Witchlight Fens. This tower is rumored to be one
of three legendary “ghost towers.” I intend to go there, break
in, and take back my mother’s blade. It’s no easy task, and I
understand if you refuse.”

In "Dungeon of the Ghost Tower" the location was moved to Kalton Manor.
But Kalton Manor is in no way secret.

So now we know 2 Locations of the three towers.
In the next update i'll label both and perhaps place the third
Sweet Map!

HAND OF KARSUS!

kueryd, you sir, are a champion!

TjD

Updated to Version 5
Excellant map!
Thanks

Does anybody else think this deserves to be stickied?
Also, it deserves a cookie!Laughing
Once it is at its final version or near final version, I would suggest you head over to the "Forgotten Realms: General" forum and present it. Mr. Miscellany would be pleased to know that you're not a spineless wimp.
coolio. nothing more to suggest. would like the original file when you're ready though. cheers
Very nice work on the map!

Just had a question for whomever can answer it. In the Hammerfast supplement, what is shown here on this map as Sentinel is called Stravalla's Tower, and Lakepeak is called Glimmer Peak.  Was there a change in these names?

The supplement also shows a place NW of Hammerfast called Dungeon of the Fire Opal.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant. And we definitely added to his pile of good things. - Eleventh Doctor
Very nice work on the map!

Just had a question for whomever can answer it. In the Hammerfast supplement, what is shown here on this map as Sentinel is called Stravalla's Tower, and Lakepeak is called Glimmer Peak.  Was there a change in these names?

The supplement also shows a place NW of Hammerfast called Dungeon of the Fire Opal.

You are quite right.

I just had a look at my paper version of hammerfast.

The other names ar from the map in the map gallery.

I'll change and add the Dungeon of the fire opal.

Thanks
A nitpick, to be sure, but I think the text would look better in a serif font, like the rest.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Updated to Version 6

Thanks for all the input
About the Ghost Towers, I believe you are incorrect about the 3 in the Fens. There should only be one somewhere in the Fens (as per Dungeon 182). The second belongs to Castle (now Ruins) of Inverness (as per Encounters: March of the Phantom Brigade) and a third's location is as yet to be disclosed.
Once it is at its final version or near final version, I would suggest you head over to the "Forgotten Realms: General" forum and present it. Mr. Miscellany would be pleased to know that you're not a spineless wimp.

Err…so that was pretty random.
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
About the Ghost Towers, I believe you are incorrect about the 3 in the Fens. There should only be one somewhere in the Fens (as per Dungeon 182). The second belongs to Castle (now Ruins) of Inverness (as per Encounters: March of the Phantom Brigade) and a third's location is as yet to be disclosed.

Thanks i'll change it.

I don't have access to the Encounters, so i'm thankfull for all information regarding the locations from
Encounters
Updated to Version 7
Looking better every day, kueryd.  I love it!