Paragon path for a Hindering Shield abusing Fighter?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing a Dwarf fighter that will be using Hindering Shield and World Serpent's Grasp to knock enemies prone on a nearly constant basis. Most of my powers are geared towards either working with this or other mobility denial, but I can't decide what my paragon path should be. Iron Vanguard seems like the obvious choice, but the obvious choice isn't always the best one. I multiclassed Warden for Crippling Crush, but haven't looked over all of their paths yet.

My frontrunners are Iron Vanguard, Wrathbearer, Storm Sentinel, and Dreadnought. I have really high Strenght and Constitution, with 15 Wisdom when I actually hit paragon. While I would like to take a path that enhances my ability to push enemies around, I wouldn't turn down a better one that had no interaction with my World Serpent shenanigans.
"You lit yourself on fire. Why did you light yourself on fire? "Because. Ninjas can't grab me if I'm on fire." -The Adventures of Dr. McNinja "What the ****? Tenth level barbarian and I'm looking at a ****ing job board?" -Me, at the start of a quest (was actually pretty good, despite the weirdness of the job board)
Kensei.
I actually second that. You want all the to-hit you can get.
STR/CON Fighter mc Warden Lyrander Wind-Rider with a lightning weapon and crippling crush.  The End.
STR/CON Fighter mc Warden Lyrander Wind-Rider with a lightning weapon and crippling crush.  The End.

Meh.

Meh.

But doesn't that provide the same accuracy bonus as Kensei? And my Con is high enough that it actually provides more damage, if that's relevant.
"You lit yourself on fire. Why did you light yourself on fire? "Because. Ninjas can't grab me if I'm on fire." -The Adventures of Dr. McNinja "What the ****? Tenth level barbarian and I'm looking at a ****ing job board?" -Me, at the start of a quest (was actually pretty good, despite the weirdness of the job board)
Yeah, but everything else about the path sucks. The rest of Kensei is at least useable. (I'm leaving the 11E out of the equation here, since you'll be using Reserve Maneuver to get rid of it in either case.)
Yeah, but everything else about the path sucks. The rest of Kensei is at least useable. (I'm leaving the 11E out of the equation here, since you'll be using Reserve Maneuver to get rid of it in either case.)

Fair enough, but I find "+1 to hit" doesn't make a difference as often as people seem to think. Might just be me, but generally after two or three hits I only need to ask the DM if I hit for the sake of formality. That's not to say that I don't like a high "to hit" modifier, that's just to say that I don't find Kensei that appealing (the damage bonus at 16 is pretty nice, but the other paths I've looked at have powers that are so much better I'm not sure it's worth it (especially since Iron Vanguard will actually outdamage Kensei with my character).
Out of curiosity, how are you getting Hindering Shield and WSG to work together on a Fighter?  I was looking at the combo and didn't see a convenient way around the slow ending at the start of your next turn.

t~
Kensei has the advantage (relative to Wind-Rider) of not locking you into a specific enchantment. Of course, if you already have the feat investment (Mark of Storm), there's little reason to not take it.

The extra to-hit is good because once you're hitting with a certain amount of damage, you just want to land your hits. Keeping your static numbers up to or ahead of the curve is what makes you the most efficient, and frankly from the pure performance standpoint you shouldn't be looking for anything other than efficiency.
Out of curiosity, how are you getting Hindering Shield and WSG to work together on a Fighter?  I was looking at the combo and didn't see a convenient way around the slow ending at the start of your next turn.

t~

I honestly thought that said "the end of your next turn". Did it get errata'd or am I less observant than I thought? I'm honestly not sure, but I'll still take Hindering Shield just to keep things away from the fragile members of the party. I don't know how to get the World Serpent's Grasp part to work, aside from how much more dangerous my Combat Challeneg is with it and Shield Shove...but Shield Shove was already ruining people's day. Think it's worth it?
Hmm...I never noticed the "start of your next turn" requirement either. I guess you could still use WSG to knock your enemy prone with action points.
Egh, a lot of people get Hindering Shield confused.  Yes it's always been slow until start of your next turn.  So the only way to prone with WSG is multiattacks or action points.

Or pick up a Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade. 
Or a Warlord.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The Battle Standard would be quite effective once I had the area locked down, and our party does have a Warlord, so I can still get some shenanigans in here. Thanks, I was kind of distraught for a moment there.