Dragon 399 - Ampersand: New Frontiers: D&D and Board Games

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 399
Ampersand
New Frontiers: D&D and Board Games

By Bill Slavicsek

It’s that time of year when a young gamer’s fancy turns to thoughts of lazy days, blockbuster movies, and all-out war...

Talk about this editorial here.

Boggles!
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
Boggles!

Indeed! Apparently progenitors of Banderhobbs and Goblins, which I find appropriate.
I am going to use the heck out of that map.
Ah yes, a "roleplaying-like experience".  Sounds like a delightful new direction for D&D.  Cancel PnP products, but keep on cranking out these roleplaying-like experiences, awesome.
Damn boggles are simply evil mechanically.
Damn boggles are simply evil mechanically.

Shouldn't they be?
I can't find the Elsir Vale on that map. 

>_>

That said, the map is now diamonds!

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Don't worry about the Boggles, as Uleria tamed them with Love. Then again, I'd stay away from the Plateau of Statues....

Ah yes, a "roleplaying-like experience".  Sounds like a delightful new direction for D&D.  Cancel PnP products, but keep on cranking out these roleplaying-like experiences, awesome.

1) It's not so much cancelling as reformating (print vs DDI) for a lot of the PnP stuff, but....

2) I can't say that I disagree with your sentiment. I don't care about the Adventure System. The components of the Nerath game look high-quality, but Fantasy Axis & Allies ain't my bag. I would love it if whatever resources are being put into the board games would instead go into the D&D RPG. [Shrug] If it gives 'em money/resources to expand the D&D RPG, then all's well and it's merely a question of taste. If the loop doesn't close and it's just leveraging the D&D Brand and not the D&D Game, then sadness ensues. Further Useless Nerd Rant: [SPOILER]The Nerath map... "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth", "Temple of Elemental Evil"... WHY? Where's the freakin' Dales, huh? Where's Undermountain or Xak Tsaroth? Oh wait. Greyhawk stuff can be genericized and reused all the time but it can't be done with the other properties because of the precious novels. Precious high-volume sales. Delicious pulp. Can't confuse those poor consumers, nope. How utterly lazy. The people who have name recognition for a lot of that stuff don't associate it with Nerath. It's not any sort of tribute or anything, it just makes grognards like me roll their eyes. It's meaningless to the new folks. WotC, you can (and do!) make cool new stuff. "Fortress of the Final Pact" is just as good. Keep doing stuff like that. "Sunless Citadel" is alright, but "White Plume Mountain"? C'mon. Your useless nostalgia bent is even starting to get to _me_, WotC. I may be forced to write on the Internet about it if it keeps up!
D&DNext: HTFU Edition
1) It's not so much cancelling as reformating (print vs DDI) for a lot of the PnP stuff, but....

2) I can't say that I disagree with your sentiment. I don't care about the Adventure System. The components of the Nerath game look high-quality, but Fantasy Axis & Allies ain't my bag. I would love it if whatever resources are being put into the board games would instead go into the D&D RPG. [Shrug] If it gives 'em money/resources to expand the D&D RPG, then all's well and it's merely a question of taste. If the loop doesn't close and it's just leveraging the D&D Brand and not the D&D Game, then sadness ensues. Further Useless Nerd Rant: [SPOILER]The Nerath map... "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth", "Temple of Elemental Evil"... WHY? Where's the freakin' Dales, huh? Where's Undermountain or Xak Tsaroth? Oh wait. Greyhawk stuff can be genericized and reused all the time but it can't be done with the other properties because of the precious novels. Precious high-volume sales. Delicious pulp. Can't confuse those poor consumers, nope. How utterly lazy. The people who have name recognition for a lot of that stuff don't associate it with Nerath. It's not any sort of tribute or anything, it just makes grognards like me roll their eyes. It's meaningless to the new folks. WotC, you can (and do!) make cool new stuff. "Fortress of the Final Pact" is just as good. Keep doing stuff like that. "Sunless Citadel" is alright, but "White Plume Mountain"? C'mon. Your useless nostalgia bent is even starting to get to _me_, WotC. I may be forced to write on the Internet about it if it keeps up!

Actually it basically is canceling.  Had the PnP content come out as print, more new content would have come out in the DDI magazines.  Instead, we have what appears to be a diminished amount of the PnP print content slowly displacing what little DDI original content there was.  Previously we had 2 avenues for content delivery, now we only have one and that one is much lighter than it used to be.
One thing I would like to see is a High Res version of the map as it is pre-formatting for the board-game.  We saw a low-res version of it darkened in the Nerathi Legends: Karkoth article; that article proved that it exists outside just the board.  What I mean is without the territory borders drawn and the dungeons having a grey dungeon symbol layed over them, covering up the landscape. 

I'd also like the Nerathi Legends series to continue until all areas of the map are covered. 

And I'd still like to hear where the Elsir Vale is supposed to be.  Is it beyond the Unpassable Territory east of Karkoth or Southwest of the Iron Circle's sphere of influence?

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

um...

Melee Double Diversion TrickRecharge when first bloodied

Attack: Melee 10 (one creature); +11 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6 + 5 damage.

is probably not that right?

..... having a bloody recharge be the same as the creatures MBA seems silly.

um...

Double Diversion TrickRecharge when first bloodied

Attack: Melee 10 (one creature); +11 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6 + 5 damage.

is probably not that right?

..... having a bloody recharge be the same as the creatures MBA seems silly.

The author of that monster posted over on ENWorld that was a typo that exists only on the website.  Its actually a kind of double attack power.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
Ampersands just keep getting more disappointing. If WotC absolutely must crank out D&D related side products, please establish a separate division for them with separate resources. I came to play a roleplaying game, not board games. Oh, and make a separate web site for these board games too. I am not interested seeing them on what I want to think of as D&D RPG site.
Actually its that time of year where young minds are overloaded with excess assignments and dreading the fact that more and more each day they are freezing their NADS off. Not to mention the fact that they know that when they fainlly get a break it will only be for 2 weeks and they will likely spend half of that doing homework.

Maybe, just maybe they will get a chance to get together for a day or two of D&D. Unless of course someone pulls out some board game and crushes their little hearts.

Come on people. There is a whole world outside your damn borders and that world doesn't care about board games either.
Actually its that time of year where young minds are overloaded with excess assignments and dreading the fact that more and more each day they are freezing their NADS off. Not to mention the fact that they know that when they fainlly get a break it will only be for 2 weeks and they will likely spend half of that doing homework.

Maybe, just maybe they will get a chance to get together for a day or two of D&D. Unless of course someone pulls out some board game and crushes their little hearts.

Come on people. There is a whole world outside your damn borders and that world doesn't care about board games either.

Hey now, some people enjoy board games. Also, only having two weeks for summer break is saddening. 
Its winter for god's sake.
Its winter for god's sake.

Not unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere. But where I am, it's in the mid-90s Fahrenheit.
Hrm, I'm less than pleased with the focus on board games.  By all accounts, they're reasonable - and I'm goign to get my hands on at least one when I can afford to.

But I'm not buying them for the board game.  I'm buying them for the minis, and less so for the tiles.  I'd far prefer to have encounter-themed minis-and-tiles boxed sets, than board games.  But if buying a board game is the cost to get D&D-specific mini sets, that might have to be something I stomach.

I don't specially like the idea that my purchases would go towards sales of the board games, though, because I would like the focus of D&D to remain... D&D.

I wonder how many people are reselling the minis components on eBay...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The notion of having dungeons on a wargame map, where some of your forces can adventure for items that may give them bonuses, is straight out of the early 90's TSR boardgame "Greyhawk Wars".  (And even that was a nod to the origins of D&D -- the Chainmail game -- a miniature medieval army game from which Dave Arneson evolved the idea that the 'heroes' of a miniature army went on side adventures -- i.e. D&D. 

If they make the minitaures in this game usable in my PnP game the way the minis in Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Arshada-whatever are, then I'll likely drop the money on it. Otherwise, I have tons of other board wargames I can play, from Small World to Kingmaker to Risk to Wallenstein to Axis & Allies to Magnifico to Chaos in the Old World. Does the gaming world really need a D&D themed "war game"? Not unless there is something outstandingly fun, unique and excellent about it...

Ask me a question about D&D on vyou.com/sbonario
You can use these miniatures with your Pnp D&D games, if you don't care that they are not the same scale.
D&D miniatures use about the 25 mm scale of minis, the Conquest minis look to be 15 mm scale, unfortunately. 
Sign In to post comments