Momir Vig, Summoner of Beings

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's been a while since I posted this deck, and it's changed quite a bit so I decided what the heck. This has become one of my favorite decks to lend out to other players. Because it has so many opportunities for tutoring and interacting with the board, each player I've handed it to has played it differently (and often better than I).

I've just recently made some changes, including my favorite combo in Standard right now: Genesis Wave into Garruk's Packleader and Rampaging Baloths. It also has an untapping subtheme with Seedborn Muse, Quest for Renewal and Murkfiend Liege. This is all neatly tied together with Momir Vig coordinating the efforts on the ground.

I'm also trying to find a non-eldrazi, preferably creature alternative for Loaming Shaman so that I have at least two recyclers. I am now thinking that Praetor's Counsel might be that card.

General: Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

[9] Draw Spells:
Compulsive Research
Blue Sun's Zenith
Sift
Foresee
Deep Analysis
Mind's Eye
Honden of Seeing Winds
Jace's Ingenuity
Biomantic Mastery

[16]Utility Spells:
Constant Mists
Spell Crumple
Kodama's Reach
Chord of Calling
Krosan Grip
Genesis Wave
Oblivion Stone
Hinder
Lux Cannon
Rite of Replication
Evacuation
Mind Control
Asceticism
Primal Command
Spitting Image
Lurking Predators

[28]Utility Creatures
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Coiling Oracle
Frontier Guide
Thought Courier
Simic Guildmage
Cold-Eyed Selkie
Trygon Predator
Yavimaya Elder
Lorescale Coatl
Winged Coatl
Loaming Shaman
Cryptoplasm
Phyrexian Metamorph
Mystic Snake
Nullmage Shepherd
Tradewind Rider
Murkfiend Liege
Thieving Magpie
Seedborn Muse
Overbeing of Myth
Garruk's Packleader
Psychosis Crawler
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Primordial Sage
Keiga, the Tide Star
Platinum Angel
Memnarch

[11]Fatties:
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Stormtide Leviathan
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
Tidespout Tyrant
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Regal Force
Pelakka Wurm
Gaea's Revenge
Consecrated Sphinx
Sphinx of Magosi
Rampaging Baloths

[35] Land:
Reliquary Tower
Simic Growth Chamber
[16]Forest
[17]Island

Your mindset seems to be that like of constructed you want big effects because although its impossible in other formats it matters in this one alot. So time stretch should definetly be considered and other strong repeatable effects or large ones that matter. Reap and sow should be taken out for far wanderings, seeker of skybreak should be replaced scryb ranger since its just so damn awesome. Also consider getting cards like regrowth, restock, natures spiral, and for the big effect praetors counsel. Drop pelakka wurm dumb beats are only wanted in this format if they are really good at what they do. 

If you skipped all that just read this (((((look at zergs deckbuilding guide)))))  
Drop pelakka wurm dumb beats are only wanted in this format if they are really good at what they do. 

I think I like the idea of Praetor's Counsel, I just haven't found one. That would fix my problem of only having one Loaming Shaman though, potentially giving me access to 3 resets of my deck.

Pelakka Wurm isn't dumb beats, it can be a silver bullet in some cases... and just think of what happens when it gets a Rite of Replication aimed at it.
Quick update:

Inkwell Leviathan -> Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Simic Sky-Swallower -> Consecrated Sphinx

I also had a chance to play EDH again this weekend and had a lot of fun with my fairly ridiculous draw in a 1-on-1 game. Hinder on opposing general (Reaper King) enabled by a turn 5 Seedborn Muse followed up with a few more cards in between casting Lorthos, the Tidemaker for a sweep. Wish I remembered more details. Anyways.
Sign In to post comments