05/12/2011 FtL: "Griefer Madness"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I love the title for this. Especially since this last April 20th I saw for the first time a certain movie musical based off a certan 1936 propoganda film.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

While NP in general goes for griefing, I would disagree with calling the Praetors examples of it.  "Good for me, bad for you" isn't griefing, it's just investing in a spell that does something you want to do.  Griefing is when you do something solely to hurt your opponent, just for the sake of hurting him, even at a cost to yourself.  If Vorinclex was a 0/4 without the mana-increasing ability and cost little enough to come down when the mana-choking ability was relevant, he'd be a griefer card.  As is, he's just a way to dominate a particular portion of the race.

Gitaxias though could probably be called a griefer accurately enough, solely because his Flash lets him ambush the opponent after their main phase and discard cards they expected to keep.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Rather than bounce, I would pair Urabrask with CIP abilities in general along with Ghostway, Flickerwisp, Galepowder Mage and the like.  More insulting to not even give the opponent the option of replaying the creature tapped but just to put it on the battlefield that way - and lock it down with Smoke, Juntu Stakes, Static Orb, etc.  Red is full of critters that "attack from your hand" like Glitterfang and Viashino Sandstalker, they go well into this extremely cruel and griefly strategy.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Isochron Scepter with Boomerang or Orim's Chant
Capsize
Temporal Spring
Temporal Eddy
Temporal Fissure
Panoptic Mirror
Fallow Earth
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
Plow Under
Reap and Sow
Uproot
Panglacial Wurm

That's a griefing right there. Total, utter, pointless, griefing. "Whats up man, keep drawing lands? Bad luck. You mad?"
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
A Jin-Gitaxias deck that plans on hard casting it? I am disappoint.
A wacky card I found room for was Riptide Replicator. It can endlessly make Shapeshifter tokens if you run out of creatures to sacrifice to the Praetor.

What for? To wipe out armies of tokens?
Isochron Scepter with Boomerang or Orim's Chant
Capsize
Temporal Spring
Temporal Eddy
Temporal Fissure
Panoptic Mirror
Fallow Earth
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
Plow Under
Reap and Sow
Uproot
Panglacial Wurm

That's a griefing right there. Total, utter, pointless, griefing. "Whats up man, keep drawing lands? Bad luck. You mad?"

I would not classify tempo cards as "griefer cards." While others may disagree, virtually all "griefer cards" are either tempo or card-advantage, Portent on your opponent is board advantage, while strategies can be griefer without a single card to share. The best "griefer" strategy is in EDH/Commander, where players will hold on to or specifically carry Hinder, Spin into Myth and Oblation to remove an opponent's general/commander from play for a long while, if not forever.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
A wacky card I found room for was Riptide Replicator. It can endlessly make Shapeshifter tokens if you run out of creatures to sacrifice to the Praetor.

What for? To wipe out armies of tokens?

Token or otherwise, they still gain the CMC of whatever Shapesharer turns them into.
Token or otherwise, they still gain the CMC of whatever Shapesharer turns them into.

I see, there's still a Shapesharer around. Thanks for the hint!

Um, what about Royal Assassin with Urabrask?

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

Better yet, kick a Rite of Replication on your Ink-Treader Nephilim (first give Urabrask shroud) while controlling one Royal Assassin.  Suddenly five copies of every creature other than Urabrask come into play - the opponents' are tapped and your six Assassins have haste.  If you can live with losing Urabrask you could even get a Mirrorweave in there, although Mirrorweave + any Legend makes creature kill a little redundant anyway.