05/12/2011 TD: "The Big Guys"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Urabrask really is wonderful and I absolutely love Super-Haste for Red.
Wow, I completely forgot that Gaea's Revenge exists, and now I'm scratching my head as to why it doesn't see play. Uncounterable, haste, AND essentially shroud? In a world ruled by Jace and counters, that could be a great alternate win for, say, Valakut.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
Wow, I completely forgot that Gaea's Revenge exists, and now I'm scratching my head as to why it doesn't see play. Uncounterable, haste, AND essentially shroud? In a world ruled by Jace and counters, that could be a great alternate win for, say, Valakut.

Perhaps it wouldn't see play even then, but if it had trample instead of haste, it at least couldn't be chump-blocked by 1/1 birds.

For example, a draw of Joraga Treespeaker into Lotus Cobra into Verdant Catacombs gives you six mana on turn three, exploding into a Primeval Titan on the third turn. And after that... who's counting?

Could be any land right? 3 lands, 2 from the Treespeaker, 1 from the Cobra. Catacombs would give 7.  
Personally I expect (and by "expect" I mean "I'm working on a decklist")  Jin-Gitaxias and maybe other Praetors to be used with Summoning Trap. It's already played in Standard as it is, and the Praetors offer a much wider range of options than Eldrazi. Not that they're not good, of course, but without the when-you-cast trigger on the legends they just attack and are hard to kill. Praetors, on the other hand, are both of those and do so much more.
I dont get it...
For example, a draw of Joraga Treespeaker into Lotus Cobra into Verdant Catacombs gives you six mana on turn three, exploding into a Primeval Titan on the third turn.

T1: Forest --> Joraga Treespeaker. (1 green mana spent, 0 left)
T2: Forest --> Level up the treespeaker OR cast Lotus cobra  (2 mana spent, 0 left)
T3: Cast lotus cobra (no mana left), verdant catacombs (+1 mana left from the cobra), forest, +1 mana from the cobra makes 3 mana. Tap joraga treespeaker makes 5 mana ? 1 short for the titan
// OR //
T3: verdant catacombs (+1 for the cobra), Forest (+1 for the cobra), level up the treespeaker -2, tap treespeaker +2 makes 5 mana ? Again 1 short for the titan.

What am I missing ??
What about Sheoldred AND Jin-Gitaxias in a SolarFlare style deck?  Sheoldred can convceivably be hard-casted and if you have a way of dumping Jin-Gitaxis into the gy, he can recur her.  I don't see how an opponent could conceivably recover from that.  Just for %^&% and giggles, have a small CawBlade Package as well, along with Sword of Feast and Famine for the potential of hardcasting Jin-Gitaxias on your combat step.  Then to put the extra little cherry on top, have a couple of copies of Mass Polymorph in there.  Play out all your hawks, sac them all to get 4 copies of your bombs (just make sure no more hawks are left in your library).  You only have 1 copy of each legendary creature...maybe some eldrazi and some Titans too,  that way they don't kill each other when the Polymorph puts them into play.  Not a problem that you have only 1 ofs because Liliana Vess and her tutor ability holds it all together.  Jace the Mindsculptor helps out the cause as well.

PS...I don't think you will stuff all of this into one deck, but it does orchestrate how easy it is to get those bombs into play in constructed.   
I dont get it...
For example, a draw of Joraga Treespeaker into Lotus Cobra into Verdant Catacombs gives you six mana on turn three, exploding into a Primeval Titan on the third turn.

T2: Forest --> Level up the treespeaker OR cast Lotus cobra  (2 mana spent, 0 left)
T3: Cast lotus cobra (no mana left), verdant catacombs (+1 mana left from the cobra), forest, +1 mana from the cobra makes 3 mana. Tap joraga treespeaker makes 5 mana ? 1 short for the titan
// OR //
T3: verdant catacombs (+1 for the cobra), Forest (+1 for the cobra), level up the treespeaker -2, tap treespeaker +2 makes 5 mana ? Again 1 short for the titan.

What am I missing ??   

Turn 2 you level up the Treespeaker, then use it's mana ability to play a Lotus Cobra.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I dont get it...
For example, a draw of Joraga Treespeaker into Lotus Cobra into Verdant Catacombs gives you six mana on turn three, exploding into a Primeval Titan on the third turn.

// OR //

What am I missing ??   

Turn 2: Level up Joraga Treespeaker AND cast Lotus Cobra off your Treespeaker.  I  think that's the piece that you're missing.

Coincidentally, this produces 7 mana on turn 3, not 6.  But who's counting?

I dont get it...

// OR //

What am I missing ??   

Turn 2 you level up the Treespeaker, then use it's mana ability to play a Lotus Cobra.

Very true ! Thank you for explaining !
Likewise, you can play Joraga Treespeaker on turn one, play a land on turn two and level the treespeaker and tap it for two 1-CMC elves (in Standard, that's Arbor Elf + Llanowar Elves), and on turn three play a third land and tap everything for seven mana. Two Elves are one more card than one Lotus Cobra, but on the other hand they're common, work better with tribal effects and any kind of Overrun-like effect later in the game, and you can do it with any old land rather than a fetch land. Whether you use one Cobra or two Elves, that's a lot of mana very early. Joraga Treespeaker is a great card.
might just be me, but I'd like to see some information about the top decks in the "top decks" article
Why would you want to see information about decks that will be obsolete tomorrow?
blah blah metal lyrics

I'm funny like that...lol. just read my post again, and don't take it so seriously. Look for the humor, sarcasm, and irony.

Yeah, not seeing any.
blah blah metal lyrics
Yeah, not seeing any.

you don't see the humor in there being no information on any DECKS in the top DECKS article...yeesh
might just be me, but I'd like to see some information about the top decks in the "top decks" article

Do we really need another artical talking about Jace and Preordain? >^^<

A detailed, accurate article about the top 1% of Standard would make you want to put a spade through your forehead.
Yeah, not seeing any.

you don't see the humor in there being no information on any DECKS in the top DECKS article...yeesh

Well, considering that a new set becomes legal on Saturday... not really, no. It's a theme week, so they'll cover the theme if at all possible. But this theme is not tournament-legal right now but will be very soon. And putting the theme aside for a minute, he could have written something about last week's Standard environment that will be obsolete this weekend, or he guess and speculate about the upcoming one.
I...can't say I agree with Flores' assessment.  Specifically about Sheoldred, Whispering One being the preator with the best chance in standard.

The sacrifice effect doesn't seem that great right now.  Birds.  Eldzari spawn.   Tokens from Sword of Body and Mind.  Tokens from Grave Titan.  The revival part doesn't seem great, either.  If you have even sorcery speed removal you can prevent Sheoldred from ever triggering that ability; not to mention you need to get creatures in your graveyard--the main way I can think of to pull that off in Standard right now is Fauna Shaman, and that'd mean playing black green.

I'd kneejerk rate it behind Elesh Norn (which, even if killed, still has a sweeper effect).  I'd kneejerk rate it behind Umbrask--which is both potentially a curve-topper in aggressive decks, and something to play before your Titans in R/G ramp decks.  I'd kneejerk rate it behind Jin as the "obvious combo/reanimator/cheat" card.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.