EXILE

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey y'all, use to play magic back in the revised edition days and just getting back into it now. Game has changed a bit Anyway I'm getting it mostly figured out but there is still one thing that I find frustratingly unclear and it's the rules regarding exiled cards and in particular temporarily exiled cards. First just let me say that I searched the FAQ, the Keywords, and the comprehensive rules, and could not find answers to my specific questions, which I will now get to, sorry for the long preamble.

My main two questions are:

1. "What happens to enchantments/auras attached to a card when it becomes exiled?" - and same question for counters such as +1/+1.

2. When a card returns from exile is it considered to be "entering the battlefield"?

I'll give you guys a specific scenario now that I would like to know how to resolve.

My opponent has a [C]Frost Titan[/C] with three +1/+1 counters on it, lets say from a previous [C]Test of Faith[/C], and equiped with a [C]Loxodon Warhammer[/C] (nasty much?). He declares he's attacking me with his Frost Titan. I have a [C]Leyline of Anticipation[/C] in play and in response cast [C]Corrupted Conscience[/C] to take control of it (aside question - does this action prevent his Frost Titan from becoming an attacking creature and thus his ability doesn't trigger?). My opponent ends his turn (without attaching his warhammer to a different creature).

Now on my turn I declare that I'm attacking my opponent with the Frost Titan and he uses [C]Mystifying Maze[/C] to temporarily exile the creature (I'm assuming in this case that for mystifying maze to work the creature must be attacking and therefore his triggered ability will definitely trigger, but that I can't use this ability to tap the maze and prevent the exile?? - although I could use it to prevent the maze from untapping??).

So this is pretty much where I'm at a loss. Is the warhammer unattached? What becomes of my enchantment? And the three +1/+1's? When the Titan returns from exile will it's "enter the battlefiend" ability trigger, effectively triggering twice this turn?

And a second scenario, just so I'm 100% clear on all of this:

Suppose instead of using the maze card, my opponent took the damage and then used [C]Reciprocate[/C] to exile the Frost Titan. Does this "permanent" exile affect the aura attached to it in some different way? (Basically I'm wondering if in the first scenario the aura stays on the creature through the whole process but if this one it doesn't but rather goes to the graveyard, how is someone suppose to know that^^ The comprehensive rules actually say nothing about cards attached to an exiled card).

Anyway hopefully somebody made it through all that and can give me the answers I seek.

One final, simple, totally unrelated question about planeswalkers. Can they use one of their abilities the same turn they are cast? The rules FAQ here says nothing about that, so I must assume that they can, just want to make sure.

Cheers!
lporiginalg 
My main two questions are:

1. "What happens to enchantments/auras attached to a card when it becomes exiled?" - and same question for counters such as +1/+1.

Only the card itself get exiled. Auras enchanting it stay in the battlefield, and are immediately later put on the graveyard for not enchanting anything. Equipments stay unnatached on the battlefield. Counters simply cease existing.

2. When a card returns from exile is it considered to be "entering the battlefield"?

Yes. It is moving from another zone to the battlefield zone, therefore it is entering the battlefield.

My opponent has a [C]Frost Titan[/C] with three +1/+1 counters on it, lets say from a previous [C]Test of Faith[/C], and equiped with a [C]Loxodon Warhammer[/C] (nasty much?). He declares he's attacking me with his Frost Titan. I have a [C]Leyline of Anticipation[/C] in play and in response cast [C]Corrupted Conscience[/C] to take control of it

Fine.

(aside question - does this action prevent his Frost Titan from becoming an attacking creature and thus his ability doesn't trigger?). My opponent ends his turn (without attaching his warhammer to a different creature).

Nope. It was declared an attacker, so its ability already triggered and is on the stack. Removing it from combat doesn't undo this, nor will counter the ability.

It stopped being an attacking creature, but it was one just enough for its ability.

You could have done it before he declared the Titan as an attacker (during the main phase or the beginning of combat step). THEN it would never be an attacker and its ability would not trigger.

Now on my turn I declare that I'm attacking my opponent with the Frost Titan and he uses [C]Mystifying Maze[/C] to temporarily exile the creature (I'm assuming in this case that for mystifying maze to work the creature must be attacking and therefore his triggered ability will definitely trigger, but that I can't use this ability to tap the maze and prevent the exile?? - although I could use it to prevent the maze from untapping??).

He can use the Maze's ability in response to the Titan's ability, so it will not be tapped by it - but will not untap, at least.

So this is pretty much where I'm at a loss. Is the warhammer unattached? What becomes of my enchantment? And the three +1/+1's? When the Titan returns from exile will it's "enter the battlefiend" ability trigger, effectively triggering twice this turn?

The Warhammer stays on the battlefield - under your opponent's control. Your aura goes to the graveyard. The +1/+1 counters doesn't exist anymore when it returns.

The Titan will return under your opponent's control. It's "enters the battlefield" ability will trigger.

Suppose instead of using the maze card, my opponent took the damage and then used [C]Reciprocate[/C] to exile the Frost Titan. Does this "permanent" exile affect the aura attached to it in some different way? (Basically I'm wondering if in the first scenario the aura stays on the creature through the whole process but if this one it doesn't but rather goes to the graveyard, how is someone suppose to know that^^ The comprehensive rules actually say nothing about cards attached to an exiled card).

Same thing as above for the aura, equip and counters.

One final, simple, totally unrelated question about planeswalkers. Can they use one of their abilities the same turn they are cast? The rules FAQ here says nothing about that, so I must assume that they can, just want to make sure.

Yes, they can.

The only card type with such first-turn restriction is Creatures, and only for abilities with :symtap:/:symuntap: on the cost (which the walker's abilities doesn't have, anyway) and attacking.

[<o>]
Hey y'all, use to play magic back in the revised edition days and just getting back into it now. Game has changed a bit

Indeed it has. You may find the Returning Player Rules Primer useful.

Anyway I'm getting it mostly figured out but there is still one thing that I find frustratingly unclear and it's the rules regarding exiled cards and in particular temporarily exiled cards.

By the way, "exile" is just a renaming of "removed from game"

Auras will "fall off" and be put into the graveyard, equipment will "fall off" and remain on the battlefield, counters will cease to exist.

Yes. One moment, the card was not on the battlefield. Now, it is on the battlefield. Therefore, it has entered the battlefield.

My opponent has a [C]Frost Titan[/C] with three +1/+1 counters on it, lets say from a previous [C]Test of Faith[/C], and equiped with a [C]Loxodon Warhammer[/C] (nasty much?). He declares he's attacking me with his Frost Titan. I have a [C]Leyline of Anticipation[/C] in play and in response cast [C]Corrupted Conscience[/C] to take control of it (aside question - does this action prevent his Frost Titan from becoming an attacking creature and thus his ability doesn't trigger?)

If you wait until the titan has already been declared as an attacker, then its ability has already triggered. If you wish to prevent the ability from triggering, you will need to steal his creature before it is declared as an attacker, probably in the Beginning of Combat step.

By the way, don't forget to pay , or else frost titan will counter Corrupted Conscience
My opponent ends his turn (without attaching his warhammer to a different creature).

Yep, you've got that correct. The titan's ability has already triggered, and while you can target the maze, this won't counter the maze's ability.
So this is pretty much where I'm at a loss. Is the warhammer unattached?

Yes. It "falls off" and remains on the battlefield.
What becomes of my enchantment?

It "falls off" and goes to your graveyard.
And the three +1/+1's?

They will no longer exist
When the Titan returns from exile will it's "enter the battlefiend" ability trigger, effectively triggering twice this turn?

Yes, though bear in mind that your opponent controls the titan, not you.

Suppose instead of using the maze card, my opponent took the damage and then used [C]Reciprocate[/C] to exile the Frost Titan. Does this "permanent" exile affect the aura attached to it in some different way?

There is no difference.

One final, simple, totally unrelated question about planeswalkers. Can they use one of their abilities the same turn they are cast?

Yes. 
Thanks both kindly for your quick and thorough responses

PS: I did also skim through the returning players guide before posting. I literally lol'd when I saw the official rule change that "Magic is not simple" ... No s#^t ;)