Is there anyway we can still download the old Character Builder?

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there anyway we can still download the old Character Builder? I have it on my desktop, but I would like to move it to my laptop and want to install it properly. Is this still available? Does anyone have the link?
Is there anyway we can still download the old Character Builder? I have it on my desktop, but I would like to move it to my laptop and want to install it properly. Is this still available? Does anyone have the link?

It's available,
From what I've read the forum mods get a little hissy when folks post the link.
A little judicious google searching should get you to a forum that has the link

Also, the install is portable - you should be able to just copy you current install over to your laptop  (It works for me at any rate - I've got a "mobile" setup on a usb drive I use from time to time)
Get the troika folks back, retool TOEE using the current ruleset, Turn Based Combat, of course. Release in December then follow up with expansions covering Against The Giants, The Scourge of the Slave Lords. maybe DLC for the one shot's like Ghost Tower of Inverness, White Plume Mountain, etc. Using the same engine, could throw the Dragonlance folks a bone or two with faithful adaptations of the first 3 mods of that series. Then when it looks about like the engine's run it's course release an adventure editor/builder expansion sort of like the old Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.
Oddly, the official link to the original Character Builder is operational on the Wizards site, yet despite the fact that this is a link to a location on the official WotC website, the mods will temp-ban accounts for posting it, citing section 4 of the code of conduct, ie "enabling or encouraging illegal behavior".

Again, quite odd.  If they don't want us to DL it, why don't they take it down?
Oddly, the official link to the original Character Builder is operational on the Wizards site, yet despite the fact that this is a link to a location on the official WotC website, the mods will temp-ban accounts for posting it, citing section 4 of the code of conduct, ie "enabling or encouraging illegal behavior".

Again, quite odd.  If they don't want us to DL it, why don't they take it down?

Even funnier is you have to "log in" to the update server to update it to the Oct 2010 version so they know who's getting updates.  If I was to guess it's one of those....sshhhhh, don't tell anyone *wink* *wink* things.
To the best of my knowledge (and I am not a mod, so please don't take this as definitive), it is not posting the links to the CB on the WotC website which is the problem. It is the links to programs that are used to, in the view of WotC, illegally modify the CB Classic, that get people banned.

In any case, I will do what I can to try to find out.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Meantime, for what it's worth, I have taken the whole folder with the program and put in on a portable drive and then executed it from another machine.  It worked.  So I suppose you could do that and, provided you did not share it, stay with the terms of use as well.

I was a little surprised that I did not need any registry entries to make it work, but either none are required or it rebuilds them on-the-fly. 
The old file will be removed from the servers, so it won't be available from wizards.com anymore. That the file was left in place wasn't really a marketing move or a technical oversight. It was more like laissez-faire benign neglect. Since it seems to be causing some trouble, it's going to be pulled down. I don't know how soon that will happen.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

The old file will be removed from the servers, so it won't be available from wizards.com anymore. That the file was left in place wasn't really a marketing move or a technical oversight. It was more like laissez-faire benign neglect. Since it seems to be causing some trouble, it's going to be pulled down. I don't know how soon that will happen.

Steve

Kind of a non-answer in terms of the "why do you ban people for posting the link" front.  Mudbunny is incorrect; posts with just the link to the old CB, and no information about Canadian Bacon at all, have been deleted and met with bans.

But I do appreciate communication, however minimal.
I can't say why someone might have been suspended without knowing who it was and what they actually posted. Once the file is removed from our servers, however, no one will be banned again for posting that link. As to whether posting a link to the old CB somewhere else could get you suspended, I suspect the answer would be yes, but I defer to the mods on that; they're much better versed in the terms of service than I am.

Steve

How long does it really take to remove one file from your servers?  Really?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
To physically delete the file -- a minute or two. But very little happens on the servers without a producer creating a job order, slotting it into a work queue, etc., etc.

Steve

To physically delete the file -- a minute or two. But very little happens on the servers without a producer creating a job order, slotting it into a work queue, etc., etc.

Steve

Translation: Red Tape.

Steve

"Translation: Red Tape."

I agree with that.  Thanks very much for letting us know.

And I think I see why things take so long in general...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'm curious what "problems" the old file is causing that are prompting its removal.  

Here's my guess: Discussions like this are problems.  This is because they encourage continued use of the old CB.  While I know WotC has no problem with folks continuing to use it, there are issues with it such as easy piracy.  These issues constitute one of the reasons for switching to the new model in the first place.  Thus, unfortunately, folks like me who want to just innocently use it when offline get bundled with hackers and such since there's no way to tell the difference.

Whatever the reason, it's too bad.  No surprise of course, as discontinued products don't get supported forever, but it's still a shame.  

Kudos to WotC for letting us download it this long - both my computers had to be replaced this year, and without that download I wouldn't have the original CB.
Um..., wouldn't it be prudent to keep the old character builder on the server for a full year, so that those who bought an annual subscription to D&D Insider in October 2010 would have access for migrations to another computer for the length of their subscription (i.e., October 2011)?

-DS
Um..., wouldn't it be prudent to keep the old character builder on the server for a full year, so that those who bought an annual subscription to D&D Insider in October 2010 would have access for migrations to another computer for the length of their subscription (i.e., October 2011)?

-DS

Yeah, totally!  Sure there's plenty of arguments against this (no promises were made, you can cancel early, etc.) but I think this would be a very logical and community-friendly thing to do.

This is standard operating procedure. What kind of company do you work for that people can just log into a public production server and start deleting files willy-nilly?

This is standard operating procedure. What kind of company do you work for that people can just log into a public production server and start deleting files willy-nilly?

It's been 6 months.  We're way past willy-nilly.

Bingo.

That being said, I work in open-source software.  I can log in and delete stuff if I want to.  I don't because that would be dumb.  It shouldn't take this long to delete one file which should have been deleted months ago - it seems pretty telling that it wasn't actually, since any competent web developer would know that deleting links =/= deleting files.  Telling about what, I'm not quite sure. 

That being said, I work in open-source software.  I can log in and delete stuff if I want to.  I don't because that would be dumb.  It shouldn't take this long to delete one file which should have been deleted months ago - it seems pretty telling that it wasn't actually, since any competent web developer would know that deleting links =/= deleting files.  Telling about what, I'm not quite sure. 

You do know what a ticket system is, why large organizations use them and how they work, right?

Get the troika folks back, retool TOEE using the current ruleset, Turn Based Combat, of course. Release in December then follow up with expansions covering Against The Giants, The Scourge of the Slave Lords. maybe DLC for the one shot's like Ghost Tower of Inverness, White Plume Mountain, etc. Using the same engine, could throw the Dragonlance folks a bone or two with faithful adaptations of the first 3 mods of that series. Then when it looks about like the engine's run it's course release an adventure editor/builder expansion sort of like the old Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.
Not specially.

That being said, I can take a wild guess.

However, it's still 6 months, whatever happens.  I hope to goodness it's either intentional or an oversight, because any system that intentionally takes that long to remove one file...

From Steve's statement, I got the impression that he didn't even try to delete it until now. They left it up.

I have a feeling that the issue here is seperation of departments. The server guys didn't take down the file because they weren't asked to. The content guys didn't ask because they didn't really care all that much and the forum admins conflated "downlaod link from Wizards" as "download link for pirates". Which lead to the issues you guys are having with being banned.

In all honesty, is this a big deal? If I were you guys I'd be arguing for them to keep the link up rather than arguing about how long it's been up.  
From Steve's statement, I got the impression that he didn't even try to delete it until now. They left it up.

I have a feeling that the issue here is seperation of departments. The server guys didn't take down the file because they weren't asked to. The content guys didn't ask because they didn't really care all that much and the forum admins conflated "downlaod link from Wizards" as "download link for pirates". Which lead to the issues you guys are having with being banned.

In all honesty, is this a big deal? If I were you guys I'd be arguing for them to keep the link up rather than arguing about how long it's been up.  

Well said!  I particularly like the coflation theory, that's very insightful. 
If I were you guys I'd be arguing for them to keep the link up rather than arguing about how long it's been up.  

Like anyone cares if there's an officially sanctioned way to download it.  I'm just amused by the lack of a coherent policy here; it implies a fairly stunning lack of communication between the various branches of DDI and/or WotC management.

It's not a huge deal, it just seems symptomatic of internal issues at WotC.  Particularly, I'd be concerned to have on board a web developer who takes down the links but not the file.
Particularly, I'd be concerned to have on board a web developer who takes down the links but not the file.

This is a good point that I hadn't really considered. I guess it would depend on how the order was written. It's pretty clear that Wizards doesn't do it's hosting in-house.

In other words: we'll never know. *shrug*  
Particularly, I'd be concerned to have on board a web developer who takes down the links but not the file.

This is a good point that I hadn't really considered. I guess it would depend on how the order was written. It's pretty clear that Wizards doesn't do it's hosting in-house.

In other words: we'll never know. *shrug*  

I'm sure the file was left there intentionally after the link was removed.  They had every intention of having some small amount of overlap between the two character builders so as not to leave folks in the lurch.  (Plus I'm pretty sure Wizards staff wanted to keep using the old one for a while too.)  The step that was neglected was to go ahead and remove the file after "a small amount of overlap time" had passed.
It's gone now.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio:
a fellow 
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy:
he hath 
borne me on his back a thousand times ...

Steve 

*removes hat*
It is truely the end of an era.

Now get back to work, code monkeys! I want this update out before the next full moon!

What makes it so sad is that the reason it's become such an issue is that people like myself hate the Silverlight version because it lacks specific functions that we rely upon.  It's gotten to the point that I am canceling my DDi subscription because the only thing that I found really beneficial here (i.e. the ability to create character sheets with a high degree of customization) is now dead.

Sorry to hear that the old download is gone for good...

Agreed.  I cancelled my subscription once they removed the old character builder.  The online version is slow and not nearly as usable for me.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I cannot figure out how to copy the files over to my new system. I think it is related to Windows 7. I can get character builder working and I can get monster builder working, but there are no data files even though I have copied them from everywhere they are stored in XP. My old system is going to crash any day now and I cannot get everything off of it to my new system....sucks. Any other ideas feel free to share.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I cannot figure out how to copy the files over to my new system. I think it is related to Windows 7. I can get character builder working and I can get monster builder working, but there are no data files even though I have copied them from everywhere they are stored in XP. My old system is going to crash any day now and I cannot get everything off of it to my new system....sucks. Any other ideas feel free to share.

I am sure this worked for me:

I copied ALL files over to a portable drive of some sort (a USB drive, perhaps?).  That's both the program files location and the my documents location.   I plugged that into another computer and it worked.  I was able to open and (IIRC) edit a saved character.

If you are talking about the offline CB then the following applies:

Your character files are stored in C:\Documents And Settings\[username] \ddi\saved characters

Once you have copied your character files to your new PC you'll have to tell CB where they are.  I don't have it at work, but IIRC at the bottom of the list of character files is a folder with a "+" symbol in it.  Click that and browse to the location where you copied the files.  Once you've selected the folder that contains your characters you will see that in the list and should be able to go right to it.

How are people who may not have access to an internet connection at the local game shop suppsed to be able to use the great insider tools when we can't download them?

How are people who may not have access to an internet connection at the local game shop suppsed to be able to use the great insider tools when we can't download them?

You don't.  And it's intentional (on WotC's part).  If that's a deal breaker for you I suggest you do the only thing you can to tell WotC how displeased you are.  Cancel your sub and get all your money back for any time you have remaining ASAP.

What makes it so sad is that the reason it's become such an issue is that people like myself hate the Silverlight version because it lacks specific functions that we rely upon.  It's gotten to the point that I am canceling my DDi subscription because the only thing that I found really beneficial here (i.e. the ability to create character sheets with a high degree of customization) is now dead.

I am a college student who is scraping every bit of cash to my name to avoid using loans to complete a college education in the great fascist state of Florida, where scholarships are being wrung out like milk-soaked rags. 

I stopped playing WoW after 4 years about 8 months ago... and won't pick it back up, not because of the time constraints, but because it's just not worth the subscription cost for what I get out of it.

I went back to D&D this summer because I was aching to get some RPG action going again. I loved using the old CB because my DM friends would allow me to use one of their updates for my own CB client. I used my builder all the time... theorcrafting and mixing different types of class types and powers. The offline part wasn't the best part, though. 

Now seeing and hearing about the cold, new online CB, I can say with certainty that being able to ACCESS my work without having an active subscription of my own is the best part.

I don't want to get all nerd rage up in here, but It seems for someone in my position, which appears to be a position of growing commonality in this country, I can't afford paying for ANYTHING monthly between tuition gouging and gas prices.

This mandatory subscription for use of CB seems counter-productive to the population I reprsent: young adults who play D&D because it's essentially free and in our control.

Since this is no-longer the case, what do we do? spend a silly amount of money on books so we have hard copies, or perhaps search the internet far and wide for the artifactesque "old CB" so we have a small degree of freedom from monthy payments.

It seems nothing is free anymore... not even table top gaming. I suppose it was not in WotC's minds that DMs could give their members a share of their updates for the purpose my group and many others did... but IMO, having ever allowed the CB to be free in any capacity was a cruel tease, given the "new direction" these tools are being taken.

To those that have the money that this issue is nonexistant, I can see how it might be a slight improvement. However, call me old fashioned, but I believe somehting is lost when you stop being able to save your characters safely to your own computer, and cannot access your handiwork at a moment's whim unless you a. have internet connection and b. an active subscription.

---That is my peace, now, if only there were a way to allow this November setback to not ruin my local gaming community. We're not the richest bunch, and most of us struggle to stay in school while balancing a job and at least one loan. Again, I'm probably one of the more financially stable of my group of about 40 (over 3 stores and my university).

You don't.  And it's intentional (on WotC's part).  If that's a deal breaker for you I suggest you do the only thing you can to tell WotC how displeased you are.  Cancel your sub and get all your money back for any time you have remaining ASAP.

Indeed, as I never owned a subscription, I cannot say much about what it may or may not actually offer you... But cancelling your sub is the only form of protest they can actually listen to.

Words are only words, but numbers, my fellow gamer, they speak volumes if they shrink enough.

I am a college student who is scraping every bit of cash to my name to avoid using loans to complete a college education in the great fascist state of Florida, where scholarships are being wrung out like milk-soaked rags. 

I stopped playing WoW after 4 years about 8 months ago... and won't pick it back up, not because of the time constraints, but because it's just not worth the subscription cost for what I get out of it.

I went back to D&D this summer because I was aching to get some RPG action going again. I loved using the old CB because my DM friends would allow me to use one of their updates for my own CB client. I used my builder all the time... theorcrafting and mixing different types of class types and powers. The offline part wasn't the best part, though. 

Now seeing and hearing about the cold, new online CB, I can say with certainty that being able to ACCESS my work without having an active subscription of my own is the best part.

I don't want to get all nerd rage up in here, but It seems for someone in my position, which appears to be a position of growing commonality in this country, I can't afford paying for ANYTHING monthly between tuition gouging and gas prices.

This mandatory subscription for use of CB seems counter-productive to the population I reprsent: young adults who play D&D because it's essentially free and in our control.

Since this is no-longer the case, what do we do? spend a silly amount of money on books so we have hard copies, or perhaps search the internet far and wide for the artifactesque "old CB" so we have a small degree of freedom from monthy payments.

It seems nothing is free anymore... not even table top gaming. I suppose it was not in WotC's minds that DMs could give their members a share of their updates for the purpose my group and many others did... but IMO, having ever allowed the CB to be free in any capacity was a cruel tease, given the "new direction" these tools are being taken.

To those that have the money that this issue is nonexistant, I can see how it might be a slight improvement. However, call me old fashioned, but I believe somehting is lost when you stop being able to save your characters safely to your own computer, and cannot access your handiwork at a moment's whim unless you a. have internet connection and b. an active subscription.

---That is my peace, now, if only there were a way to allow this November setback to not ruin my local gaming community. We're not the richest bunch, and most of us struggle to stay in school while balancing a job and at least one loan. Again, I'm probably one of the more financially stable of my group of about 40 (over 3 stores and my university).

Your DM allowing you to install a copy of the offline chararcter builder and updating it with just his account was a breach of the EULA and is not the intent of the program which is probably the main reason why they no longer support the offline character builder.

Alas, nothing is free. Even if we are imparting to him some of our money when he renews his subscription. Seems like the black and white EULA doesn't accommodate people that are okay with sharing financial resources to make it cheaper for everyone.

Amirite?

I propose 3 reasons for what we did:

1, we were all fresh out of getting our AAs and were dirt poor.
2, jobs in the Tampa area weren't getting any easier to find.
3, All stresses considered and D&D being a known stress reliever for us, why would we want to spend any more money on it than we already did, having already accumulated every book in 3.5? Sometimes I wish we could send in our proofs of purchase and get early investor discounts on DDI.

Wizards wouldn't want to put the financial stranglehold on people that have been playing for the better part of their entire lives, would they? (kind of like how the government deprciates old War Bonds now since they cannot possibly afford to compensate for all the inflation since)