Blocking with multiple creatures?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't quite understand how this works.

Say my opponent attacks with a 6/6 creature and I choose to block with a 3/3 and a 4/4, how is the damage assigned?
you choose how your creatures deal damage, and your opponent chooses how his creatures deal damage

the only restriction with multiple blockers or blocked creatures is that a creature has to assign lethal damage (that is damage equal to the toughness or 1 damage from a source with deathtouch) before moving on to the next one.
proud member of the 2011 community team

Immediately after the blocking assignments are declared, the active player decides the order his attacking creature will assign damage to the blocking creatures.  The player can't assign damage to the second blocking creature until he assigns lethal damage to the first.  Both blocking creatures simply assign damage equal to their power to the attacking creature.

So, the attacking player would choose which order to deal with the blockers in?

yes
keep in mind that all damage is still dealt at the same time (except for first and double strike, of course)
But what if one of the blockers has Banding? Wouldn't the defending player then get to assign the damage?
i never understood banding, so i'm lost with that question ;)

But what if one of the blockers has Banding? Wouldn't the defending player then get to assign the damage?

Yes, Banding changes the normal damage assignment rules. If one of the blockers have this ability, it's up to the defending player to distribute the blocker creature's damage amongst the blockers.

702.19j - During the combat damage step, if an attacking creature is being blocked by a creature with banding, (...), the defending player (rather than the active player) chooses how the attacking creature's damage is assigned. That player can divide that creature's combat damage as he or she chooses among any number of creatures blocking it. This is an exception to the procedure described in Rule 510.1c.

[<o>]

Yes, and the defending player would get to ignore that damage assignment order entirely.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

What happens if two 2/2 block a 2/4 with first strike?

Would the 2/4 effectively kill one of the 2/2 before it can do damage and then kill the other one since it only hits for 2?

Also, in the same scenario, do I get to giant grow one of the 2 2/2's after he decides which one goes down first?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2Y8Syi74A

Would the 2/4 effectively kill one of the 2/2 before it can do damage and then kill the other one since it only hits for 2?

The 2/4 can only deal 2 damage, so it can only kill one of the blockers.  This will happen in the first combat damage step.  In the normal combat damage step, the remaining blocker will deal 2 damage to the attacker and the attacker will not deal any damage.   So, one blocker dies and one blocker and the attacker survive.

Also, in the same scenario, do I get to giant grow one of the 2 2/2's after he decides which one goes down first?

Yes.  Before the game moves from one step to the next, each player will get priority to cast spells or activate abilities.

Never mind.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

The 2/4 can only deal 2 damage, so it can only kill one of the blockers.  This will happen in the first combat damage step.  In the normal combat damage step, the remaining blocker will deal 2 damage to the attacker and the attacker will not deal any damage.   So, one blocker dies and one blocker and the attacker survive.

Yes.  Before the game moves from one step to the next, each player will get priority to cast spells or activate abilities.

thanks.

So, if I get it:

I have 2 2/2's blocking. One of them has first strike

The attacker is a 2/4 with first strike

The attacker could decide to kill the non-firststrike first, effectively saving his creature?

and assuming I have one green mana and a giant grow, I could use it on the targeted creature to save it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2Y8Syi74A

So, if I get it:

I have 2 2/2's blocking. One of them has first strike

The attacker is a 2/4 with first strike

The attacker could decide to kill the non-firststrike first, effectively saving his creature?

and assuming I have one green mana and a giant grow, I could use it on the targeted creature to save it.

Sure, why not?

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments