The Online Character Builder Pictures

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can I upload my own pictures into the portrati section of the online subscriber character builder? Just wondering because I have found some epic cool pictures of things that fit certain classes in my life time, and adding them as a portriat would be awesome instead of "Generic Portrat of X race/Class lolololol" I mean Goliath and Deva only get one photo of each gender...some monsters only get one photo period, and some like the minotaur are largely written on, largely supported and even STILL only have one photo @_@
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Nope, you can't upload you own pictures.

But it's reasonable. The CB's an online tool which runs off of their servers. If everyone was uploading their own pictures to the CB, how long would it be before all the servers' memory was used up? Then it would be slow and unable to save characters, and everyone would be unhappy. This is also the reason for the limit to the number of characters each person can have stored.

That's my take on it.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain

And it is for all these reasons I prefer the old downloadable Character Builder that is no longer supported and as such has none of the newest material in it -sadeface-

I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

I also miss the ability to use my own pictures for character portraits.  I drew a character portrait for my current character and was hoping I could use it with the new character builder.  Though I can see why you can't upload your own pictures, for exactly the reasons Helnae mentioned.  So what I do now is save my character sheet as a pdf.  Then I import it into Photoshop ( or GIMP, the free version of photoshop) and put the picture overtop of the generic portrait provided by the character builder.  Once again, I have my own drawn character portrait back on my sheet.  It's an extra step for sure, but it only takes a minute or two. 
I also miss the ability to use my own pictures for character portraits.  I drew a character portrait for my current character and was hoping I could use it with the new character builder.  Though I can see why you can't upload your own pictures, for exactly the reasons Helnae mentioned.  So what I do now is save my character sheet as a pdf.  Then I import it into Photoshop ( or GIMP, the free version of photoshop) and put the picture overtop of the generic portrait provided by the character builder.  Once again, I have my own drawn character portrait back on my sheet.  It's an extra step for sure, but it only takes a minute or two. 

Sure, unless you don't have photoshop or suck at it

I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Try GIMP, it's legal and free.  You can just google how to resize a picture and place it using GIMP.  You may even be able to look it up in GIMP's help menu and save you a bit of searching.  If not and you're still stuck on how to do it, send me a message and I'll help you out.  I'm currently using photoshop but I can easily pick up GIMP and take a look.  So I can play around with it and send you some instructions.  I'm a professional designer and have used both.  So it won't take me long to put together a cheat sheet for you to give you some customization back. 

for my home game we just leave the portrait blank so we can print out a character history sheet with a nice size portrait of the character.

I use the blank portrait and photoshop my pic in. It takes like five minutes. Yeah it could be easier but I've got more important axes to grind in my life, I guess.
If they want me to use the VT they are going to have to allow me to add my own picture.  Whether it's on the character builder itself or after I import my character to the VT this is a feature that I require before I use it.

But it's reasonable. The CB's an online tool which runs off of their servers. If everyone was uploading their own pictures to the CB, how long would it be before all the servers' memory was used up? Then it would be slow and unable to save characters, and everyone would be unhappy. This is also the reason for the limit to the number of characters each person can have stored.

I dunno if I agree with this reasoning.  After all, many people upload custom photos to their free profiles on this, and many other sites.  The Character Builder is part of a paid service so I'm sure it wouldn't be too much to ask for them to allot storage for custom character JPGs.  They could just have file size and/or quanity limits.  I agree with a previous post on this thread--not having custom portraits will definitely make the VT less attractive to some.
I think just increasing the library of portraits for the purposes of VT integration would be pretty good, but not even that is necessary.  Custom portraits have no effect on your game.  If it is effecting your game, print out the image separately, you'll find it has an even better impact on your game, because if a postage stamp size picture improves your game, than just imagine what a full page would do.

Otherwise, I think there are plenty of other things that could serve as a better focus.  I can't think of any other online game that allows you to load your own images into it.  (Though it would be great if my gnome priest on WoW would look like Milburn Pennybags)

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

That's my take on it.

I disagree completely - NOT reasonable in this day and age of advanced web enabled applications. If they turned these into simple image URLs and outsourced all of their stuff to an image server, they could then add new pictures and/or we could add our own custom images easily. Since it's an online tool already this makes perfect sense and would create a real Charlie Sheen "winning" situation for all concerned parties here.

I agree with the OP, the picture selections are too limited and in this age of web 2.0 it's a no brainer to fix without crippling the app. I would also agree that it's a totally cosmetic feature, however if you are going to have it at all you may as well do it with some pinache rather than appearing to favor certain race/class options with interesting artwork over others.

Or if they let you host the images on a separate site, but let you add them to your character sheet.  I have an awesome picture that one of the guys in my group drew of our party (and I inked using Paint.NET which imnsho is much better than GIMP) that I like using.  It sucks that I have to go through a 3rd party software in order to have the same effect as the original 4e CS.

That's my take on it.

Well it's not a free service. They should be doing SOMETHING productive with your DDI money. I mean, you can only access your chars if you have an active sub. They would do well to make it worth you subscriber's money.

I call it, player oppression.
If everyone was uploading their own pictures to the CB, how long would it be before all the servers' memory was used up?

Never.

The size of these images is very small.  Each DDI customer pays for access and online storage.  It should be very easy for the CB to allow one image per character.  A 1TB drive should be enough to hold all the images for everyone.

Metrocon in Tampa, FL will be hosting some good, ol' 4e. I'll be using my OUTDATED , but FREE character Builder tool for anyone that needs to make a character on the fly. I understand if you would perfer to take 30 minutes to make one the old 3.5 way, or use the new, "improved" online tool if you paid for it.

I will be hosting a panel on gaming on a dime, too. Guess what kinds of things I will expect to need to discuss? I'll try to be as balanced as possible, and ring up the "alter-ego" strategy to quick character development. However, this will be kind of rough for those that like playing a new character each adventure.

However, as an old RPGA member, I tend to stick with the guys I develop over months of gaming.
Anyone have similar feelings about sticking to the same build every time?

Agree completely with OP - we need ability to add our own artwork. Yes, can do it in 'post production' but the whole reason I'm using CB is because I'm lazy, and I want a turnkey solution. I'm paying for it, and I don't ask for much...
I always just set it to blank portrait 'cause I don't want to spend the extra ink.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Having the character's face a part of the file is ESSENTIAL. I used to identify my people by pictures, I didn't have to look at the names, but now? This thing is usesless! I guess photoshoping a .pdf will have to work but MY GOD how annoying, and again that it isn't linked to the file. This is completly unacceptable and I will not pay for this again until they fix it. The only reason they made it an online application is so we have to pay for it constantly, and they've made it bloody useless. If portraits aren't important to you, fine, but shut up!
I dont see why they couldnt use the web based silverlight character builder to Fetch a picture that you have in a folder... Its stupid that they dont let you...
Yet another problem most don't want to think about is the legal issue. In bulk I have seen many character portraits that are simply purloined off of the internet. Turning your server into a haven for such thefts is begging for trouble. It isn't clearly illegal, but edges into the gray enough that legal might feel pretty uncomfortable. 
My solution to legal issues would be to give us a character visualizer like they were planning with the first vt
Yet another problem most don't want to think about is the legal issue. In bulk I have seen many character portraits that are simply purloined off of the internet. Turning your server into a haven for such thefts is begging for trouble. It isn't clearly illegal, but edges into the gray enough that legal might feel pretty uncomfortable. 

It's no more a worry than allowing anyone to upload whatever they want as their forum avatar.  So, for me, the whole legal argument goes right out of the window.
Also they could NOT store the picture, but instead have the player provide a link to where the picture is stored.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Yep, it's a problem. Hey developers! Add a custom pic option. Just limit each account to 6 pics or something!

Real bummer! 
Assuming you have Power Point... you can print the character sheet to PDF and use the "Snapshot Tool" in Adobe to copy the page, then paste it into Power Point. You can then paste in your image and position it as you like over the empty square. Print and done. I guess you could do the same in Word but that program slows down a lot when you try to paste in big images while Power Point does not. I recommend viewing the PDF at 400% when you copy it with the snapshot tool. So you get good resolution on the final print.

A good option for Wizards would be to simply allow the program to pull images from the uploaded images on our profile pages here. We can already pull character sheets from the builder to our character section. Maybe the reverse could be true as well. 
Emily Hook Longmont, CO Current DragonLance 4th Edition Writing Project: Champions of the Lance
Sign In to post comments