Death's Gatekeeper mk2, Stealth Edition

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Allies with 5/10 of you, and withing 3 of your spirit, are effectivly "unkillable".  You and your spirit are hidden (keeping you both safe).  You deal good, if not massive damage.

This build doesn't really start till level 10, and then takes a few more levels to consolidate, but it is playable as a sneaky rogue with a heal before that,

[sblock Major Pieces]
*Unnatrual Mantle keeps allies concious.
*Call Forth the spirit World make sure allies have positive HP at the beginning of their turn
*Hybrid Talent (Cunning Rogue): Let's you stealth alot easier
*Armor of Dark Deeds or other concealment/cover.
*Gloaming Cut, let's you attack and hide in the same action.
*Cloaked Sniper + Shift Boost, allows you hide on a miss.
*Faded Spirit keeps your spirit/zone hidden, preventing it's destruction.
[/sblock]

[sblock the build]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Revenant, Rogue/Ardent, Cloaked Sniper, Thief of Legend
Ardent Mantle (Hybrid) Option: Mantle of Clarity (Hybrid)
Hybrid Ardent Option: Hybrid Ardent Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Rogue Tactics (Hybrid)
Rogue Tactics (Hybrid) Option: Cunning Sneak (Hybrid)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Uncanny Prowess Option: Uncanny Prowess (Intelligence)
Choose your Race in Life: Gnome

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 12, DEX 30, INT 23, WIS 15, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 13, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 45 Fort: 32 Ref: 42 Will: 34
HP: 169 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +30, Athletics +21, Nature +22, Perception +22, Stealth +39, Thievery +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +21, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +18, Heal +17, History +21, Insight +17, Intimidate +18, Religion +21, Streetwise +16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Ardent Feature: Ardent Surge
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: World Speaker's Command
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
Rogue Attack 1: Gloaming Cut
Ardent Utility 2: Sympathetic Agony
Rogue Attack 3: Fleeting Spirit Strike
Rogue Utility 6: Chameleon
Rogue Attack 7: Killer's Ambush
Ardent Attack 7: Forward-Thinking Cut
Ardent Attack 9: Passage of Swords
Shaman Utility 10: Call Forth the Spirit World
Cloaked Sniper Attack 11: Sudden Bolt
Cloaked Sniper Utility 12: Unseen Shot
Rogue Attack 15: Bloody Path
Rogue Utility 16: Hide in Plain Sight
Cloaked Sniper Attack 20: Bolt from Nowhere
Rogue Utility 22: Invisible Stalker
Ardent Attack 23: Revelatory Slash
Thief of Legend Utility 26: Impossible Theft
Ardent Attack 29: Violent Spark

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Spirit Talker
Level 4: Fading Spirit
Level 6: Crossbow Expertise
Level 8: Unnatural Mantle
Level 10: Acolyte Power
Level 11: Improved Cunning Sneak
Level 12: Mark of Passage
Level 14: Skill Focus (Stealth)
Level 16: Widened Mantle
Level 18: Silent Shot Student
Level 20: Past Soul
Level 21: Vanishing Act
Level 22: Lingering Illusion
Level 24: Ghostly Vitality
Level 26: Backstabber
Level 28: Long Step
Level 30: Ephemeral Spirit

ITEMS
Bracelets of Subtle Defense (heroic tier) x1
Phantom Chaussures (paragon tier) x1
Chameleon Ring (paragon tier)
Greater Ring of Invisibility (epic tier) x1
Ring of the Ghost Knight (epic tier)
Shadow Band (epic tier) x1
Leather Armor of Dark Deeds +6 x1
Piwafwi +6 x1
Sandstorm Hand Crossbow +6 x1
Lightstep Slippers (epic tier) x1
Grayflower Perfume (heroic tier) x 60
Scorpion Carapace Dragonscale + 6 x1
====== End ======

[/sblock]

This one is more powerful then my previous one.  With more damage and preventing allies unconciousness better.  However, it's also more vulnerable, since it has little in the way of backup.  Like if your spirit drops, or you drop (the spirit doesn't heal you), or if you fight something with truesight/tremmorsense/super high perception without an item to counter it.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

" ... tremorsense ... "

So an Umber Shadow Hulk has (only) a 1 in 5 chance at hitting the right dude.
Certainly can't succede all the Know. X checks to figure this out.
Party Wizard has much better opportunity to set up a stunlock-ish thingy.

Niice. And here's a cookie ... Yell ... they used to have easy cookies around here.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Nice one, glad you took the idea and made a complete build.

On tremorsense: since the spirit is a conjuration, you can simple put it one to four squares above ground -> invisible to tremorsense. Additional benefit: Many nonflying creatures cannot reach it with a melee attack, bursts and blasts cannot damage the spirit anyway, so only ranged attacks (vs. the hopefully invisible spirit) remain dangerous...
Lightstep Slippers (21) keep you hidden from tremorsense.  Chaussures are a bit redundant with Armor of Dark Deeds anyway, right?

Cool build.
Lightstep Slippers (21) keep you hidden from tremorsense.  Chaussures are a bit redundant with Armor of Dark Deeds anyway, right?

Cool build.

Yea.  I listed both though.

On tremorsense: since the spirit is a conjuration, you can simple put it one to four squares above ground -> invisible to tremorsense. Additional benefit: Many nonflying creatures cannot reach it with a melee attack, bursts and blasts cannot damage the spirit anyway, so only ranged attacks (vs. the hopefully invisible spirit) remain dangerous...

Your spirit is hidden when you are, so if it see's you, it can see the spirit.  Though you bring up a good point about attacking it.  Though your not invulnerable.

I'm tempted to add the emphemrial spirit (it takes 1/2 from ranged attacks).

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Not much of an improvement, but Greyflower Perfume prevents blindsight from seeing you for a turn.  Maybe carry a couple bottles with you just in case you run into something with it.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Not much of an improvement, but Greyflower Perfume prevents blindsight from seeing you for a turn.  Maybe carry a couple bottles with you just in case you run into something with it.

Added, along with the lightstep slippers and the scorpion carpice armor (even though it's scale/plate).

guides
Power
my builds

*Call Forth the spirit World make sure allies have positive HP at the beginning of their turn

Am I missing something on this one?  I always thought this didn't work after they fell to 0 or less hit points as it states that it is for bloody allies only.  Let me know if I am missing something because this build does look mighty fun  =P

Am I missing something on this one?  I always thought this didn't work after they fell to 0 or less hit points as it states that it is for bloody allies only.  Let me know if I am missing something because this build does look mighty fun  =P

You are Bloodied when below 1/2 your HP.

-10 is below 1/2 your HP.

Also of importaint note, is that you can take "start of your turn" stuff in any order.  So take the 10 ongoing damage before you gain 5 HP (since healing starts at 0).

Just don't provoke an OA or otherwise take damage on your turn, cause you would fall below 0 that way, then have to make a death save.  You still won't die, but you'd be unconcious.

Also, and DM can ready an action, drop someone on their turn, then CDG them into negitive bloodied.  Which is "mean", but it's really the only way to stop you.

guides
Power
my builds

You are Bloodied when below 1/2 your HP.

-10 is below 1/2 your HP.

Also of importaint note, is that you can take "start of your turn" stuff in any order.  So take the 10 ongoing damage before you gain 5 HP (since healing starts at 0).

Just don't provoke an OA or otherwise take damage on your turn, cause you would fall below 0 that way, then have to make a death save.  You still won't die, but you'd be unconcious.

Also, and DM can ready an action, drop someone on their turn, then CDG them into negitive bloodied.  Which is "mean", but it's really the only way to stop you.

Interesting.  So there is a large mechanical difference between this and regeneration.  For some reason I was translating the regeneration mechanic onto the healing of the power.  Gotcha.  It is like a cool Regen 5 to all bloodied allies near your companion without the 0 or below cut off for it.

That makes a lot more sense.  Thank you.
No Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness for the resis 30 all when under 0?
No Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness for the resis 30 all when under 0?

Sure, but hopefully you won't die cause you won't be spotted.

guides
Power
my builds

Your spirit is hidden when you are, so if it see's you, it can see the spirit.  Though you bring up a good point about attacking it.  Though your not invulnerable.

I'm tempted to add the emphemrial spirit (it takes 1/2 from ranged attacks).

Empemrial spirit seems like a very good idea, didn't even realize the feat exists until now. Even MM3 encounters have a hard time to deal more than 50 damage per hit.

On tremorsense: Blind monsters with tremorsense (a surprisingly large subset) have -5 to hit (invisible) by hovering the spririt above ground, even if not hidden. 
Empemrial spirit seems like a very good idea, didn't even realize the feat exists until now. Even MM3 encounters have a hard time to deal more than 50 damage per hit.

Good point about floating.  That can prevent the spirit from being attacked by plenty of creatures (except those with reach 2, or flying).
On tremorsense: Blind monsters with tremorsense (a surprisingly large subset) have -5 to hit (invisible) by hovering the spririt above ground, even if not hidden.

Even if your spirit is protected, if your not hidden, you can be dropped, and if you drop, so does your spirit, so does the party (since their likely hovering around 0).  Again, this build doesn't have much in the way of backup, and your pretty squishy (rogue with 2 weak NADS), 1 lucky perception roll and you can get shut down in a turn and your mostly useless (Remember the spirit doesn't heal you).

Really, i need a way to recharge the utility.

Edit: Repalced Crossbow Focus with Emperial Spirit.  Though the build order could probably use a fair bit of scrutiny.

guides
Power
my builds

Can I use another paragon patch? Master Thief seens to works better for stealth things, as I can attack and dont got revealed

Tpiardi: if you cannot recreate a build like this yourself, odds are good your party and your DM are not ready for it.

Also: how would you get access to that particular Paragon Path ?

This paragon path is on Heroes of the forgotten Lands. Just asked my dm and he said i can pick it if I'm a rogue.

Doubt my group will complain about this build. I'm the less experient player on the group. But if we cant handle i will nerf it.
I liked it for flavor, as it fills perfet the idea for my character as a reincarnated thief running from Kelenvor cause he used to steal his souls.

But I still dont get how he usual sustain heal without the Shaman level 10 Daily, as this version dont have Assured Healing.

Can I play it starting from low levels? 

No offense, but you come accross as the 16 year old that just got his trainee drivers license and is excitingly jumping up and down 'cause there is a masserati parked in the driveway.

If you start at a low level, you would have to ignore the spirit stuff, or most of the ardent side, just to make a functional ranged rogue.

Ok, no offence taken. Ty

I understand what you mean, I never played with a psionic before.

But even if i will not play this build, i still want to understand how the hell he heals everyone without the cleric hybrid.

wait, what ?

There are many leader classes in 4e, all of which can heal. Cleric by far not being the best one (in my opinion). This build apparently dips into both shaman and ardent. That is aside the revenant feature it's abusing.

Yeah, what i mean, on the ardend|cleric build, he can heal with missing attacks for wisdow modifier on each.

Here, besides the surges power I've to use augumented powers to heal. That's will not last much time.
The only shaman healing is Call Forth the spirit World, that solve the problems for one battle, but it's a daily,

There must be something i'm missing here.

Tpiardi wrote:

Ok, no offence taken. Ty

I understand what you mean, I never played with a psionic before.

But even if i will not play this build, i still want to understand how the hell he heals everyone without the cleric hybrid.

Like so many of Mellored's builds, this one is really only functional at level 30 when it can recharge Spirit World (and I don't know why he didn't go loremaster), and frankly shouldn't be played by anyone regardless because it's a complete crap idea whose party role is better accomplished by basically any more sensible combination of leader|striker. If you tend to have 1 or 2 encounter days, this build *can* work.

I find it very funny that you like this build for the flavor, when it litereally has no flavor to it. "Reincarnated theif on the run from kelemvor because he used to steal souls" = Warlock, possibly Warlock|Executioner, if you want to do it as a Rogue, you wouldn't be able to until level 30.

"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments