Dungeon and Dragon Magazine PDFs

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happened to the whole issue PDFs of Dungeon and Dragon magazines?  When and why did they switch over to single article PDFs?

I liked being able to read through a whole back issue AS a whole back issue.  Having them all split into separate files just seems to break flow to me.
Yes, they did drop the compilations.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
But why?  They were so nice, and made it seem more like a magazine rather than a random collection of online articles.
There's lots of posts dealing with this issue already. Short answer is they said they found people more people tended to download single articles rather than full issues, so they'd rather put resources into other tasks instead of compiling them.
There's lots of posts dealing with this issue already. Short answer is they said they found people more people tended to download single articles rather than full issues, so they'd rather put resources into other tasks instead of compiling them.

Thing is, most people probably downloaded the articles individually because  they didn't come out all at once. They spread them out over the entire month (which was lazy in my opinion) and most people didnt want to wait an extra month for the complilation.  So yeah, most people did download the individual articles because there was no option to download the complete issue for  the first 30 days.

On top of that if you did wait for the complilations like I did,  you had to jump through a lot of hoops to find the link to dowload the compiled version compared to the individual articles until relatively recently when they finally started putting a huge button at the top of the issue one month after it came out.

This was the last nail in the coffin for me and I have already disabled my auto-renew from happening at the end fo June. 

For me the changes WoTC have made since last fall have all been about limiting  customer's unility of a paid service. Making CB, MB, online only with a handful of features from the offline versions, no compiled issues of the magazines and the entire shift to essentials (disguised 4.5E in my opinion) combined for me to decide to throw in the towel on supporting DDI.  

The lack of a compiled issues is just plain LAZY in my opinion. 

Edit- spelling errors.            
My request is that someone from WotC actually make a decision on the issue for real and true and make a statement to that fact. The last official statement was along the lines of 'We're looking at the issue and will make a decision based on feedback from you.' Well, it's been over three months, let the people know what you decided. Customer Service is tired of hearing from me I'm sure.
My request is that someone from WotC actually make a decision on the issue for real and true and make a statement to that fact. The last official statement was along the lines of 'We're looking at the issue and will make a decision based on feedback from you.' Well, it's been over three months, let the people know what you decided. Customer Service is tired of hearing from me I'm sure.

You've failed your perception roll.  NO reponse IS a response.  The response is "We're not going to change anything at this time".  It's kinda like the 4e ruleset (exception based).  Unless the rules say you can't, you can.  Or in this case, unless they make an announcement saying they will bring them back, they won't.
Ha...perception roll...

Seriously though, I don't care if they do or not at this point, I can just as easily get them from other sources (doing it myself, having a friend do it, etc...) It's the principle of the thing. Treat me like an adult and tell me the truth. Don't hide behind a wall of silence because someone on the internet might hurt your feelings with harsh words about a policy that you probably had no control over. WotC needs to put on the big boy pants and make a statement about their final decision.
I actually would prefer it this way if they made searching for articles easier.

I mean, the annoying thing about compiled zines is that if I want to find the Gnoll article I have to remember which issue of Dragon it's in.  
As things previously stood you had the option to search the individual articles, while the people who wanted compilations had them.

Now you've still got the same option to search individual articles that you always had, as per your own preferences, but the people who want compilations have lost them. I fail to see how the current status is the superior position in terms of overall customer service and satisfaction.
First thing for people working on providing new features should remember: People hate change for the sake of change. They usually don't mind genuine improvements, but change just because it's change and therefore cool tends to get hackles raised. Second thing for people working on providing new 'improved' features should remember: It shouldn't be hard for users to figure out how to turn them off if they don't like them. Just because the programmer thinks he's had a great idea doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with them.
Ha...perception roll...

Seriously though, I don't care if they do or not at this point, I can just as easily get them from other sources (doing it myself, having a friend do it, etc...) It's the principle of the thing. Treat me like an adult and tell me the truth. Don't hide behind a wall of silence because someone on the internet might hurt your feelings with harsh words about a policy that you probably had no control over. WotC needs to put on the big boy pants and make a statement about their final decision.

You're under the assumption that the "decision" is already made and that nothing in the future might ever change it.  Some pretty bad assumptions IMO.
@Kenjoon- Wow, do you jump on everyone whose opinion and desires differ from your own? I'm not saying WotC should or shouldn't restart the compilations, just that they should stop stonewalling and make a statement to their customers. There may not have been a decision made, but how is it wrong for me to ask for that information? I have to make assumptions because of their lack of further communication on the issue.
@Kenjoon- Wow, do you jump on everyone whose opinion and desires differ from your own?

You're entitled to your opinion about my commentary.  That said it was in no way meant as an attack on you regardless of your feelings on the matter.  Please see below for what I felt were your "bad assumptions".
I'm not saying WotC should or shouldn't restart the compilations, just that they should stop stonewalling and make a statement to their customers.

This assumes facts not in evidence.  You are ascribing motives to a lack of action on their part.
There may not have been a decision made, but how is it wrong for me to ask for that information? I have to make assumptions because of their lack of further communication on the issue.

There was a decision made.  In January (or whenever it was exactly) they decided to discontinue the compiliations.  Guess what.  They made an announcement that they would no longer be providing them.  They will have nothing futher to say on the subject unless and until they are going to reverse said decision and start providing the compilations again (your assumption here is that they need to come out every few months and "announce" that "no we havn't changed our minds yet").  Demanding that they "put on the big boy pants" and tell you something you already know followed by accusing them of "stonewalling" for not doing so is intellectually dishonest at best.  There are plenty of things WotC has done wrong that you can fault them for without making stuff up.
As things previously stood you had the option to search the individual articles, while the people who wanted compilations had them.

Now you've still got the same option to search individual articles that you always had, as per your own preferences, but the people who want compilations have lost them. I fail to see how the current status is the superior position in terms of overall customer service and satisfaction.

Yeah I figured this was the 'state your personal preference' thread.
@Kenjoon- Wow, do you jump on everyone whose opinion and desires differ from your own?

Yes.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

Yes.

I'm not a big fan of giving untrue accusations a pass.  That said I appreciate the character assassination.
@Kenjoon- I am aware they made an annoucement they were cutting the compilations. Then they announced at DDX that they were examining the issue and would make a determination based on feedback from the community. Are you saying they didn't say that in the Question and Answer session? Or you were you not aware that there has been more said on the issue than the first announcement? What I want is for them to respond to requests from the community for an answer one way or the other. Yes, I said they should put on the big boy pants and give us an answer. It's what we say in my office when someone has to go tell the boss something he doesn't want to hear and it seems like an appropriate phrase for the situation.

Yes.

I'm not a big fan of giving untrue accusations a pass.  That said I appreciate the character assassination.

Pretty sure that NealMac picked up on your posting technique just perusing the forums.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

@Kenjoon- I am aware they made an annoucement they were cutting the compilations. Then they announced at DDX that they were examining the issue and would make a determination based on feedback from the community. Are you saying they didn't say that in the Question and Answer session? Or you were you not aware that there has been more said on the issue than the first announcement? What I want is for them to respond to requests from the community for an answer one way or the other. Yes, I said they should put on the big boy pants and give us an answer. It's what we say in my office when someone has to go tell the boss something he doesn't want to hear and it seems like an appropriate phrase for the situation.

I don't see the relavance of any of that to what I'm saying.  Let's put out both scenarios assuming that they do as you ask.

1.  "We made a mistake and are bringing back the compilations"
2.  "We have found no reason to bring the compilations back"

If 1 is true they would have to make an announcement about it anyway and would likely list it in the DDI features again.  If 2 is true they gain nothing, AND they stir the hornet's nest of all those who are pissed off about it in the first place starting the bad PR storm all over again.

What I'm saying is, there will only be an announcement if they change their position and bring the compilations back.  Expectating them to tell you "We know we stopped them, we know you want them back, but we made the right choice taking them away from you and we're not giving them back" is beyond unbelievable.
Would you expect them to come out with the following announcement?

After much consideration, we have decided to not change our DDI pricing structure at this time.  We briefly considered it, but then decided it was fine just the way it is.

Sorry to butt in, but I think the point NealMac was trying to make was that they had said they would consider reissuing the magazines and would follow up with us.  As both of you state, they have not.  Now, whether or not that is intentional is a matter for wild speculation.  NealMac simply wants WotC to fulfill a promise that they made. 

Your point regarding the occurence of an announcement is certainly valid, but one would hope that if a large section of the community wanted information and discussion about an issue that WotC would be inclined to at least discuss it, especially considering how they have already stated a desire to do so.
"When the winds of change blow, some people build shelters while others build windmills." I now have this amazingly persistant mental image of a tiger smoking a cigar. It's awesome. GMT -4
Sorry to butt in, but I think the point NealMac was trying to make was that they had said they would consider reissuing the magazines and would follow up with us.  As both of you state, they have not.  Now, whether or not that is intentional is a matter for wild speculation.  NealMac simply wants WotC to fulfill a promise that they made. 

Your point regarding the occurence of an announcement is certainly valid, but one would hope that if a large section of the community wanted information and discussion about an issue that WotC would be inclined to at least discuss it, especially considering how they have already stated a desire to do so.

You have added something that NealMac did not.  "...and would follow up with us."  His comments thus far only have WotC saying "we will look at the issue and make a decision based on feedback from the community".  Do we have a recording of this to prove the promise or is this just wishful thinking?  I hope you see the difference.
"They announced at DDX that they were examining the issue and would make a determination based on feedback from the community."

Based on the announcement that they would reexamine the issue, and the fact that this was specifically in reponse to a question by a person at DDX one would draw the logical conclusion that they would make known to the community their thoughts on this issue.  Even if they did not intend to respond originally then as I said in my previous post, "one would hope that if a large section of the community wanted information and discussion about an issue that WotC would be inclined to at least discuss it, especially considering how they have already stated a desire to do so."

In any case, whether or not WotC must respond to this question is really a moot point as the greater issue proposed by the OP was:
1. What happened to the whole issue PDFs of Dungeon and Dragon magazines?
2. Why was this change instigated?
3. What version does each poster prefer?
4. Should WotC return to the old format?
"When the winds of change blow, some people build shelters while others build windmills." I now have this amazingly persistant mental image of a tiger smoking a cigar. It's awesome. GMT -4
'm not saying WotC should or shouldn't restart the compilations, just that they should stop stonewalling and make a statement to their customers. There may not have been a decision made, but how is it wrong for me to ask for that information? I have to make assumptions because of their lack of further communication on the issue.

We were under the impression that we had been blunt and to-the-point. The compilations aren't coming back.

I'm not prescient, so I can't guarantee that online publishing will remain frozen in time, as it is today into perpetuity. But for as far as we can see into the future, with the current online structure, management, business model, and subscriber behavior, the compilations are off the table.

We apologize if someone got the impression that we were equivocating on this subject. 

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

'm not saying WotC should or shouldn't restart the compilations, just that they should stop stonewalling and make a statement to their customers. There may not have been a decision made, but how is it wrong for me to ask for that information? I have to make assumptions because of their lack of further communication on the issue.

We were under the impression that we had been blunt and to-the-point. The compilations aren't coming back.

I'm not prescient, so I can't guarantee that online publishing will remain frozen in time, as it is today into perpetuity. But for as far as we can see into the future, with the current online structure, management, business model, and subscriber behavior, the compilations are off the table.

We apologize if someone got the impression that we were equivocating on this subject. 

Steve

Thanks Steve but given the commitment to re-examine this based on community feedback given at D&DXP (and therefore on recorded podcasts from the event), why are the compilations not coming back?

Has the community feedback been examined and on what basis? I for one, as I have made clear in posts elsewhere, would love to see the return of PDF compilations. At the moment, because of this, coupled with the low level of article content and the lack of progress in e-tools I will not be renewing my subscription to DDI. Whilst I appreciate that cancellations seem not to be regarded as important by the company, I would be interested to know on what basis PDF compilations are now "off the table". Clearly download information is no longer available so grateful if you could clarify on what basis an assessment of opinion has been made.

Steve

Thanks Steve but given the commitment to re-examine this based on community feedback given at D&DXP (and therefore on recorded podcasts from the event), why are the compilations not coming back?

Has the community feedback been examined and on what basis? I for one, as I have made clear in posts elsewhere, would love to see the return of PDF compilations. At the moment, because of this, coupled with the low level of article content and the lack of progress in e-tools I will not be renewing my subscription to DDI. Whilst I appreciate that cancellations seem not to be regarded as important by the company, I would be interested to know on what basis PDF compilations are now "off the table". Clearly download information is no longer available so grateful if you could clarify on what basis an assessment of opinion has been made.

See, now you've crossed the line into what I describe as "questions guaranteed not to be answered".  You're asking for the "business decision" where all you're going to get is "this is what we are doing".

Thanks Steve but given the commitment to re-examine this based on community feedback given at D&DXP (and therefore on recorded podcasts from the event), why are the compilations not coming back? Has the community feedback been examined and on what basis?

A commitment to reexamine the question is not the same as a commitment to reverse the decision. Appeals courts uphold the decisions of lower courts more often than they overturn them. That’s what happened here. People raised objections; those objections were considered; the original decision was maintained.

Whilst I appreciate that cancellations seem not to be regarded as important by the company

That’s certainly not the case. We hate to see anyone cancel their subscription or let it lapse. In the case of cancellations, I believe that Customer Service always asks for the reason, so it can be logged and reviewed. We can’t ask that question in the case of expirations, but we can glean a lot of info from emails (both positive and negative) and we can track trends; that is, we know for any given stretch of time whether the number of renewals is lower than average, higher, or about what we expect as normal turnover. We knew that ending the compilations would upset some people enough that we’d lose them as subscribers. That cost was weighed against what Wizards sees as the benefits, and a decision was made. In response to forum requests and convention feedback, the costs and benefits were reexamined—this time with actual data on the costs instead of projections—and the same conclusion was reached.

I would be interested to know on what basis PDF compilations are now "off the table". Clearly download information is no longer available so grateful if you could clarify on what basis an assessment of opinion has been made.

As Kenjoon pointed out, there’s a limit to how much transparency we can give into our business conferences. What’s stated above is about all I can say. We’re sorry if all of this leads you to drop your subscription. At the end of the day, ending the compilations can be a bad decision for some subscribers while still being the right decision for Wizards.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thank you for your time in addressing this matter, Steve.  It is good to know that  WotC listens to its customers and is willing to take the time to answer them.
Thank you so much for the response.
People raised objections; those objections were considered; the original decision was maintained.
Whilst I appreciate that cancellations seem not to be regarded as important by the company

That’s certainly not the case. We hate to see anyone cancel their subscription or let it lapse. In the case of cancellations, I believe that Customer Service always asks for the reason, so it can be logged and reviewed.

Well, at least we have an answer now.  I am seriously disappointed with this decision, but I know my voice is not an important one.  I am torn on my subscription now.  I realized that I have not been looking at any Dungeon or Dragon information past the initial release of it, and it has to do with the lack of a combined Magazine issue to look at. 

I can only assume this decision was made as a way to prevent the signle-month subscription from collecting all compiled issues up to the most recent issue, but adding an extra hoop for the immoral is not actually helping your business, just disappointing your paying customers.  It seems the only way to not be a member of the disappointed customers now is to cease being a customer, I just wish it didn't have to come to that.

What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
Well, at least we have an answer now.  I am seriously disappointed with this decision, but I know my voice is not an important one

If I would wager a guess I would say that not enough people were interested to justify whatever costs are involved in compiling the mags. It's that simple. Unfortunately, we can't all get what we want. That's life.

If the sub is no longer of value to you without the compiled mags I suggest you cancel. Personally, I think it's a silly reason to cancel an otherwise useful sub but I know that's my personal opinion and I can't force that on other people.

What I really object to (and I guess why I decided to reply to you even thought I try not to do stuff like this much anymore) is your sig. It's kind of ironic that you link to the reply saying Wizards really doesn't care when an editor took time out of his day to come in and explain the situation the best he could. I guess you and I have different definitions of "care".     
Well, at least we have an answer now.  I am seriously disappointed with this decision, but I know my voice is not an important one

If I would wager a guess I would say that not enough people were interested to justify whatever costs are involved in compiling the mags. It's that simple. Unfortunately, we can't all get what we want. That's life.

If the sub is no longer of value to you without the compiled mags I suggest you cancel. Personally, I think it's a silly reason to cancel an otherwise useful sub but I know that's my personal opinion and I can't force that on other people.

What I really object to (and I guess why I decided to reply to you even thought I try not to do stuff like this much anymore) is your sig. It's kind of ironic that you link to the reply saying Wizards really doesn't care when an editor took time out of his day to come in and explain the situation the best he could. I guess you and I have different definitions of "care".     

If they "cared" then they would do exactly what he wants even if he is the only customer that wants it and it will cause them to lose money.  I too get irritated by that kind of thinking.  It's that....how shall I say...."sense of entitlement" attitude.

Thanks Steve but given the commitment to re-examine this based on community feedback given at D&DXP (and therefore on recorded podcasts from the event), why are the compilations not coming back? Has the community feedback been examined and on what basis?

A commitment to reexamine the question is not the same as a commitment to reverse the decision. Appeals courts uphold the decisions of lower courts more often than they overturn them. That’s what happened here. People raised objections; those objections were considered; the original decision was maintained.

That’s certainly not the case. We hate to see anyone cancel their subscription or let it lapse. In the case of cancellations, I believe that Customer Service always asks for the reason, so it can be logged and reviewed. We can’t ask that question in the case of expirations, but we can glean a lot of info from emails (both positive and negative) and we can track trends; that is, we know for any given stretch of time whether the number of renewals is lower than average, higher, or about what we expect as normal turnover. We knew that ending the compilations would upset some people enough that we’d lose them as subscribers. That cost was weighed against what Wizards sees as the benefits, and a decision was made. In response to forum requests and convention feedback, the costs and benefits were reexamined—this time with actual data on the costs instead of projections—and the same conclusion was reached.

I would be interested to know on what basis PDF compilations are now "off the table". Clearly download information is no longer available so grateful if you could clarify on what basis an assessment of opinion has been made.

As Kenjoon pointed out, there’s a limit to how much transparency we can give into our business conferences. What’s stated above is about all I can say. We’re sorry if all of this leads you to drop your subscription. At the end of the day, ending the compilations can be a bad decision for some subscribers while still being the right decision for Wizards.

Steve

Thanks again Steve,  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

From my point of view, though, I regard the removal of PDF compilations as a further decline in product quality and volume. This, coupled with the reduced functionality of the Monster Builder and Character Builder as well as the declining magazine page count amounts to a reduction in service without a corresponding reduction in price. I have taken this issue up with Customer Service and been told that I can basically suck it up or cancel.

As a D&D fan of 30 years or so, this is disappointing at best. I would expect something to be done to try to retain customers like me who have literally spent thousands of dollars (pounds in my case) on WotC products. Unfortunately, I am becoming increasingly convinced that such customer service is too much to hope for.

Thank you for your comments.  If it was only me, I would quietly slink away, saddened by the removal of compiled magazines.  The mood I have gotten from the forums here and at Enworld is that this is a massively unpopular decision, I would have thought that it would have been unpopular enough to change course, and I was surprised that I was so wrong.
I am really torn on the whole cancelling idea, myself.  It does seem really silly to cancel access to the Compendium and Character Builder just to make my point about the magazines, but at the same time, that is truely my only way to express how much I dislike this decision.
I really do appreciate you pointing out the change in my signature, and you are right.  It does show concern for the customer that Steve directly approached this thread with an answer.  I don't think it is fair to split hairs and call it "just" spin or damage control - he honestly pointed out the fact that the discussion is over and that they have their reasons.    With that said, I changed what my sig says, because I do want to help get the word out about the finality of the decision and express my feelings about it.  Hopefully I have explained my reason for posting, and the tone of it, so that we can understand each other.

If they "cared" then they would do exactly what he wants even if he is the only customer that wants it and it will cause them to lose money.  I too get irritated by that kind of thinking.  It's that....how shall I say...."sense of entitlement" attitude.

Ouch.  As I expressed above, I was not alone in wanting the compiled magazines back - not by a long shot.  I try to post things without hyperbole and vitriol, so you claiming that I come at this with a sense of entitlement is pretty shocking to me.  Again, I risk repeating myself, but as a paying customer I think I can express discontentment with a change in the service I am paying for.  Do I want to stop paying for the whole service because of this change? Not really, no.  I would like to see the service that I was used to restored, and having a line to the editor is a nice way to express that.  If my supposition is correct (and it may well not be), then I wanted to mention that this way of limiting pirating (or whatever is a better word here, I don't want to overstate things) of the magazines only succeeds by punishing the paying customers with the same inconvenience that pirates are subjected to.

Thank you for pointing out the tone of my sig, though.  I have changed it, hopefully in such a way that I don't seem to be crying about things, just airing a disagreement with a decision.
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645

Ouch.  As I expressed above, I was not alone in wanting the compiled magazines back - not by a long shot.  I try to post things without hyperbole and vitriol, so you claiming that I come at this with a sense of entitlement is pretty shocking to me.  Again, I risk repeating myself, but as a paying customer I think I can express discontentment with a change in the service I am paying for.  Do I want to stop paying for the whole service because of this change? Not really, no.  I would like to see the service that I was used to restored, and having a line to the editor is a nice way to express that.  If my supposition is correct (and it may well not be), then I wanted to mention that this way of limiting pirating (or whatever is a better word here, I don't want to overstate things) of the magazines only succeeds by punishing the paying customers with the same inconvenience that pirates are subjected to.

Thank you for pointing out the tone of my sig, though.  I have changed it, hopefully in such a way that I don't seem to be crying about things, just airing a disagreement with a decision.

In having re-read this I don't think "sense of entitlement" was what I was looking for when I posted that so for that I apologize.

I think what it really comes down to is that a lot of people can get on board with compiled mags even if they don't really use them. For instance, I voiced my opinion that they should stay. When push comes to shove, though, I won't be lamenting their loss much. I consume the content in a different manner.

I have the feeling from this decision that my situation is extremely common.

You've failed your perception roll.  NO reponse IS a response.  The response is "We're not going to change anything at this time".  It's kinda like the 4e ruleset (exception based).  Unless the rules say you can't, you can.  Or in this case, unless they make an announcement saying they will bring them back, they won't.

I think you may have failed your picking the right skill roll.  Reading into the meaning of a silence is totally an insight check. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
I am in agreement to Medrieve and have long ago given WotC, through customer service, my thoughts of discontinuing the pdf compilation.  Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine are suppose to be just that Magazines but WotC's business designs converted them to "e-zines" and now they are not even that.  So, for a company to discontinue a service without a reduction in the cost of subscriptions is a disservice to its customers. 

While the monster builder and character builder are somewhat convienient and Dragon and Dungeon useful and helpful they are not essential to D&D.  Add to this the fact that game material that was suppose to be DDI only found its way into official products (Dragon Annual and Heroes of Shadow comes to mind) makes a subscription to DDI irrevelant.  Why have a subscription when a great deal of it appears in an official book.  Of course on the other hand, to play devil's advocate, why bother paying for the books if everything you need is in DDI?  WotC would probably like it better that way as your paying continually for the material but if you buy the books you only pay once.

Business descisions to make money are necessary and people understand this but Wizard's recent business deciscions however do not.  For instance, breaking promises (DDI only content), support for regular 4e dwindled to promote Basic D&D (Essentials), the sudden explosion of board games, and not full e-zines to call our own.  Everyone who play's D&D are not business men and I would like to hear the opinion of those that are.  What do you all think of the wizard's most recent deciscions?  Are they following a basic business model?  Are they even concerned with their customers or just worried about making money? 

I know I touched on more than just Dragon and Dungeon but that is just one issue of many that has many player's concerned or angered about and felt I needed to say more.
I would like to see the PDF comps come back.  I'm a collector and having the articles in a monthly magazine is what I want.  I'm not going to cancel my DDI subscription, I am not frustrated, and I am still downloading the new articles throughout the month.  It's just not the same as having a magazine.
Checking in after my hiatus. So no more compilations regardless of the overwhelming outcry. Going back on hiatus...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I was on the fence about dropping my DDI subscription when the compiled magazines were dropped. My iPad is now cluttered with a ton of articles and sometimes they go unread. In the end I renewed my subscription for a year. I don't use the CB, compendium or the other tools but the two magazines I use a lot.

The benefits of the magazines outweighed the cancellation of my subscription. I realized Wizards is a company and they will do whatever it takes to profit. Complaining does little. The majority rule and apparently the majority don't download compiled magazines.

Only two decisions by Wizards has angered me. The cancelation of Skirmish and the ending of compiled PDF magazines. Two strikes I suppose. I'm wondering what the third strike will be...hopefully it will never come.

I'm just one little bunny of an untold number of subscribers. I roll with Wizards' punches.