Praetor's Grasp?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry I forgot how to autocard since its been a while. What I gathered out of the faq was this:

Praetor's Grasp{1}{B}{B}SorcerySearch target opponent's library for a card and exile it face down. Then that player shuffles his or her library. You may look at and play that card for as long as it remains exiled.  * Other players, including the card's owner, can't look at the card while it remains exiled.  * Playing a card exiled with Praetor's Grasp follows all the normal rules for playing that card. You must pay its costs, and you must follow all timing restrictions.

My question since that cards in exile and stays there, can you play that card over and over if you meet all restrictions. ex path to exile or terrmophic expanse.

Thanks inadvance. Dale.
The last part of the resolution of an instant or sorcery spell is to put that spell into its owners graveyard, unless something instructs you to do otherwise (ie. Leyline of the Void). Though it should be mentioned that in the case of something like Leyline of the Void, because it's being exiled as part of a different effect, you'll no longer be able to cast it.

Essentially, you get one chance to cast a spell with Praetor's Grasp.

Obviously, if you cast a permanent spell such as a creature with Praetor's Grasp it'll end up on the battlefield. =)

608.2k As the final part of an instant or sorcery spell’s resolution, the spell is put into its owner’s graveyard. As the final part of an ability’s resolution, the ability is removed from the stack and ceases to exist.

Oh, and to autocard, [c]Chimney Imp[/c] becomes Chimney Imp 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
No. Once you play a card you exiled with Praetor's Grasp, it goes to the same place it would go if you play it from your hand (either put onto the battlefield if it's a land, or onto the stack if it's a spell). When the spell resolves, it will go into the graveyard (Instant or Sorcery) or be put onto the battlefield (permanent spell), and when a Permanent leaves the battlefield, it goes to its owner's graveyard (or wherever else it would normally go).

Edit: Even if the permanent you cast with the Grasp is exiled (or even if the spell itself is exiled) instead of going to the graveyard, it will not be the card exiled by Praetor's Grasp, so you won't be able to play it a second time.
Rules Nut Advisor
does layline of sanctity stop me from using praetors grasp
since you can't target your opponent, yes
proud member of the 2011 community team
does layline of sanctity stop me from using praetors grasp

Well I've been beaten to the punch, but in any case, in the future please make a new thread rather than necroing a 3 month old thread. The forum admins really don't mind you making a new thread to ask a similar question, and it alerts forum-goers on the RSS feed that there is a new rules question that needs responding to.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
since you can't target your opponent, yes

How can you tell that Praetor's Grasp targets the player and NOT his Library

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Because Praetor's Grasp says "target opponent's library" not "target library an opponent owns".

On a sidenote, is Circu, Dimir Lobotomist the ONLY card that targets a library?

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

A quick gatherer search says, yes it is.

Yup.  And nothing give Shroud to a library.  One reason I love that card.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

And he only does so because there was no space to write "target player's library" twice, so they had to change the rules and allow targeting libraries!

[<o>]