Misfit D&D monsters find new homes on Gamma Terra

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

My friend Tommie Johnson is a big fan of the more obscure monsters from Dungeons & Dragon history. Some of those such as the vegepygmy, garbug, and froghemoth have been brought back from obscurity and reintroduced in D&D Gamma World with new 4th-edition compatible stats.

Plucked from the pages of the original Fiend Folio, I now present Tommie’s version of the kamadan, a strange spotted cat with snake tentacles on its shoulders. There’s even a bonus version that’s an elite monster instead of a normal one, which can be used as a boss or miniboss in a campaign.

Originating from the many, many Aztec-dominated timelines, the Kamadan is a jaguar with around four to seven snakes surrounding its face. It was intended to be a tribute to reconciliation between the warring religions of Quetzalcouatl and Texacatlipoca, showing a balance between the Jaguar and the Plumed Serpent. The “breathing sleep gas” part was just added because it looked cool.

Of course, things went awry, and now they’re stuck in Gamma Terra. They have an intense magnetism that can serve them well in trying to rebuild the lost empire that they so yearn for, taking ruins from their dominant worldline and rebuilding them into grand temples, or else just repurposing existing structures for their own purposes (Rumor has it the head of the Mafia at the Luxor is one). Their favored Cryptic Alliance is the Restorationists.

Download the Kamadan stats now!

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Another monster from my friend and collaborator Tommie Johnson:

This creature is theorized by most non-eaten scientists to be from a timeline where birds took over as the dominant species when the dinosaurs died out. They were probably apex predators in their original timeline, and certainly are apex predators now, as they are some of the biggest, meanest, nastiest things to “grace” Gamma Terra with their presence.

They look like regular, ordinary ducks scaled up to a massive size, albeit with enormous teeth added to the mix, and come in the colors (listed in ascending order of aggressiveness) yellow, green and red. They are often captured by the Red Death to train as shock troops, most of them horribly abused in the process, as well as by the Gammarauders who find them excellent test subjects. The grens also like to train them as “Defenders of Nature”. Those who get eaten by said Drakeons are said to have not loved nature enough.

Download the Drakeon now!

Did you know that giant killer ducks aren't just fictional? Scientists have discovered fossil evidence!

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

I'm so using the Drakeon as a crocoduck. ^^

I may be wrong, but isnt the C.I.F.A.L  from one of the older D&D rule sets?  Like Fiend Folio or some such?

Sign In to post comments