Playable Illithid Race (Mind Flayer)

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mind Flayer

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Illithid
Commonly called Mind Flayers, these evil, insane beings
are bred only to create destruction and madness.
RACIAL TRAITS
Avarage Heights: 6' 2" - 6' 6"
Avarage Weights: 175-215 lbs.

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom or +2 Intelligence
Size: Meidum
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Deep Speech.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Intimidate.
Devourer of Brains: You have studied hard, but some of the knowledge you possess is not your own.
You either favoured a specific kind of brains or enjoyed the entire buffet.
 When you create your character you can choose to either gain a +3 bonus to one untrained skill of your choice, or a +1 bonus to all trained skills. This choice remains through your character's life and can not be retrained.
Aberrant Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Far Realm. You are considered an aberrant creature for the purpose
of effects that relate to creature origin.
Aberrant Mind: You have resist 5 psychic.
Aberrant Heritage: When your class grants you an utility power after 1st level, you can forgo taking that power.
Instead you gain an Illithid utility power of the same level or lower.
Telepathy: You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 5 square of you that has a language.
Mind Blast: You can use Mind Blast as an encounter power.

Mind Blast        Illithid Racial Power
You blast your foe with a torrent of psychic energy which
sends shockwaves through the air like heat waves of desert sand.
Encounter · Psychic
Minor Action   Close
 blast 3
Targets: Each creature in the blast
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma vs. Will. You gain  a +2 bonus to the attack roll.
Level 11: The bonus increases to +4.
Level 21: The bonus increases to +6.
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage, and the target is
slowed until the end of your next turn.
Special: When you create your character, choose an ability score you use when making
attack rolls with this power. The choice remains throughout your character's life and
does not change the power's other effects.

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Note: I'm just now starting to read Lords of Madness. I am currently compiling a new flavour text for this race, but here's something you can use in the meantime:

Physical Qualities
Illithids are humanoid creatures with large tentacles protruding from the sides of their mouths. They have purple leahtery skin and white, slanted eyes. Appearing sickly and thin, illithids have long spindly fingers and no hair to speak of. Illithids live for well over 200 years, their legacy long outlasting them. As an illithid nears death, its skin turns more gray and pallid.

Playing an illithid
Most illithids are nothing but malice, spite and dominating forces in the world. They came from the Far Realm long ago and now reside largely in the Underdark. Illithid society is a free-for-all, with very little structure or hierarchy. Illithids commonly kill each other and devour each other for no other reason than pure sport. Parents abondon their young immediately after "birth". An illithid must make its own way through a hard, cruel and bitter existance.

However, maybe once or twice throughout all of the world's ancient history, a solitary illithid has broken from the sadistic traditions of its race. Illithids are viewed with fear and animosity, and not withour reason. Manyr races have a deep-rooted hatred of illithids and all that they stand for. Therefor, an illithid that has broken from its kind will face a great deal of hatred and anguish directed ait it as it ventures into the world. A solitary illithid is most likely attacked on sight in most civilized societies. Most illithids detest the name Mind Flayer, growing wildly irate at its mention.

Perhaps the illithid was contacted by a god to fight in its cause, or perhaps ran across a mystical spell book which inspired it to find a new path for itself. Whatever its reason for adventuring, it must develop its own set of values and ethics, which a typical illithid lacks entirely. 

Illithid Characteristics: careful, foreign, insane, intellectual, megalomaniacal, mindful, scheming, cunning, sneaky.

Illithids can use their transliterated Deep Speech names, but some who have forsaken their heritage translate their names into Common or another languages. 
Male and Female Deep Speech illithid names: Blorc, Flurr, Goipne, Grinrall, Huum, Klonre, Prar, Trell, Waerrl.
Male and Female Common illithid names: Dispair, Envy, Harm, Kill, Master, Pride, Pain, Slay, Spite, Wound, Wrath.

Illithid Backgrounds:
Coming soon!

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier Feats:

One Step Ahead
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid, int 13.
Benefit:
You gain a +2 feat bonus to initiative and can not be surprised.

Flaying Tentacles
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid.
Benefit: Your tentacles count as a third arm for making attacks that result in a grab. When a target grabbed by your tentacles is reduce to 0 hit points you can either spend a healing surge or make a saving throw.

Psychic Focus
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid.
Benefit:
You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with psychic powers and powers that target a creature's will defense. This damage bonus is increased to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21s level.

Quickness of the Mind
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Illithid, int 13
Benefit: You can use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Dexterity modifier to determine your initative bonus. In addition you gain a +2 feat bonus to initiative

Talented Tentacles
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid
Once per round, you can spend a free action to draw or stow an object weighing up to 1 pound with your tentacles. You can use your tentacles to make thievery checks, pull levers, open doors etc. Your tentacles can even use thieves' tools.

Telepathy Feats:
Show

Group Mindlink
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Kalashtar or Illithid
Benefit: You can facilitate conversation between all your allies. Any ally within the range of your telepathy can communicate with you and any other ally or allies within the range of your telepathy.

Bolstering Telepathy
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid, Telepathy.
Benefit: When you spend a healing surge, each ally within your telepathy range can
make a saving throw.
Violent Thoughts
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Illithid, Telepathy
Benefit: Whenever you spend a healing surge, each ally within your telepathy range gains a +2 power bonus his next damage roll.

Mind Blast-related feats:

Show

Maddening Blast
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid, Mind Blast racial power.
Benefit: Each creature you hit with your Mind Blast power takes a -2 to saving throws until the end of your next turn.

Psionic Mind
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Illithid, Mind Blast racial power, any psionic class.
Benefit: You Mind Blast power gains the augmentable keyword. When you use your Mind Blast racial power you can choose to spend 1 power point to increase its blast to blast 5, or choose to spend 2 power points to increase the blast to blast 5, its damage die to 1d8 and target all enemies in blast.

Sadistic Mind
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Benefit: When you use your Mind Blast racial power you can end one condition currently affecting you that a save can end. One target you hit with your mind blast power gains that effect until the end of your next turn.

Induce Migraine
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Benefit: When you use your Mind Blast blast racial power you can choose to forgo dealing damage and instead immobalize the every target you hit.

Focused Blast
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
 Illihid, Mind Blast racial power.
Benefit: When you use your Mind Blast racial power you can choose to make it a close blast 1 instead of a close blast 3. If you do so you gain a +2 bonus to the damage roll.

Ranged Blast
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Benefit: When you use your Mind Blast racial power you can choose to make it an area burst 1 within 10 instead of a close blast 3.

Surrounding Madness
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Benefit: When you use your Mind Blast racial power you can choose to make it an close burst 1 attack instead of a close blast 3.

Echoing Voices
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Benefit: Each target you hit with your Mind Blast racial power rants combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn. In addition, you gain a +2 power bonus to intimidate checks against creatures you hit with your Mind Blast power. This bonus lasts for 5 minutes or until the end of the encounter, whichever comes first.

Psionic Mind
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Benefit: Coming soon!

Improved Mind Blast
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Illithid, Mind Blast racial power.
Benefit:
Replace your Mind Blast racial power with the Improved Mind Blast enounter power.

Improved Mind Blast        Illithid Racial Power
You blast your foe with a torrent of psychic energy which
sends shockwaves through the air like heat waves of desert sand.
Encounter · Psychic
Minor Action   Close blast 5
Targets: Each creature in the blast
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma vs. Will. You gain  a +2 bonus to the attack roll.
Level 11: The bonus increases to +4.
Level 21: The bonus increases to +6.
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier damage, and the target is
slowed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Special: When you create your character, choose an ability score you use when making
attack rolls with this power. The choice remains throughout your character's life and
does not change the power's other effects.

Paragon Tier Feats:

Extended Telepathy
Paragon Tier
Prerequisite:
11th level, telepathy.
Benefit: The range of your telepathy increases to 10 squares. 

Epic Tier Feats:

Telepathic Bulwark
Epic Tier
Prerequisite:
 21st level, illithid, telepathy.
Benefit: Each ally within your telepathy range gains resist 5 psychic.

Illithid Utility Powers

Devour for Information - Illithid Utility 6
Daily
Standard Action    Melee 1
Target: One dead enemy
Effect: You grab the target and bore into the creature's brain in such a way you gain limited access to the creature's memories. The target must have died within the last 5 minutes. Until the end of the encounter or when you are no longer adjacent to the creature, whichever comes first, you gain one of the following benefits:
· You recieve the answer of one question the enemy knows the answer to. The answer is limitied to one hundred words.
· View one room, one similarly sized outdoor location, or one object that the enemy has seen within the past week. The image you see is drawn from the enemy's memory, and so might not be entirely accurate.
· You gain a +5 power bonus to one skill the creature was trained in. This bonus lasts until the end of the encounter or five minutes, whichever comes first.
Aftereffect: You proceed to eat the target's brain. You regain hit points equal to 5+ the creature's intelligence modifier.

Stalk the Senseless - Illithid Utility 2
Personal · Psychic, Illusion

Daily   Minor Action
Effect: Dazed and stunned creatures treat you as invisible until the end of your next turn
Sustain Minor: The effect is sustained until the end of your next turn

Notes to the DM:

Skill Bonuses:
The skill bonuses for this race can vary at your discretion. If there is only one Mind Flayer player character in your campaign you can consider these bonuses to be more like background bonuses than racial bonuses. To keep the flavor of "racial skill bonuses" I suggest skills that base on any of the Mind Flayer's racial stats. Good alternetive racial skill bonuses include Bluff, Arcana and History.

I picked Intimidate because of their appearance and inclination towards malice. It also goes well with their charisma bonus.
I picked Dungeoneering beacuse they are born and "raised" in the Fey- or Underdark.

Racial bonuses to ability scores:
If someone in your group really likes the idea of playing an illithid, and maybe you are just as psyched, but he really wants to play a class that shares none of important stats with the racial stats of the illithid, then don't be afraid to change them! Charisma is widely accepted as the illithids main stat, but con and wis could just as well (okey, not JUST as well) be his secondary stats as int and dex. I took the int and dex stats after looking at the monster versions of the illithid on the online compendium and reading Lords of Madness, but you are the DM. You have the power of changing stuff like that! So changing int with con to make a better Infernal Pact warlock or swapping dex for wis to make a better cleric will only make the character more fun to play!

Edit: Secondary stats have been changed to WIS/INT.

Low-light vs. Darkvision:
The Monster Manual's illithids all have Darkvision and so you can choose to give your Illithid PC darkvision too. If making him have darkvision won't be a balancing problem in your campaign (for example iIf you already have a Drow, Shade or Duergar in your adventure group) I almost recommend you do so. They live underground after all...

Epilogue

Only Heroic Tier
I am still just DMing at heroic tier, and therefore this hombrew lacks many Paragon and Epic tier options. When I get to Paragon and Epic Tier in campaign(s) I will update the race accordingly. Until then, you are going to have to scale things and make up feats and your own. Sorry...

The Illithid's Appearance, Playing an illithid in a traditional campaign.
Playing a Mind Flayer in a traditional campaign can be tricky. Not only does the player have to convince his DM to allow a Mind Flayer in the group, but the DM also has to account for a ton of things if he does. One of the biggest problems of having a Mind Flayer in your group will be interacting with other races, especially in towns and cities. Either you can make sure he stays under a big hood and never speaks, or you can use one of the suggested solution below:

- Potion of Eladrin Shape (consumable).
"After consuming this potion, you alter your appearance through illusion, appearing as an eladrin of your gender." The potion only lasts for an hour or so, but it's a level 2 item and only costs 25gp. If this is your way to interact with other races I suggest you stock up whenever you get the chance. Your DM might allow you to drink many vials of the potion at once to enhance its duration. Also, try to refrain from using your telepathy, it might spook the common folk, and if you'd want to do that you wouldn't be drinking these potions now would ya ;)·

- Alluring Veil
(head item)
A level 7 uncommon item that allows you appear as any other humanoid race through illusion, without any specific duration. This is what many Illithids will get as a loot around 4th to 10th level. Optionally you could have your illithid start with this item.

Special Thanks to:
Alex Þór who had the idea of playing an Illithid in my campaign, giving me the motivation needed to finish this project.
Lapinknits for his version of the playable mind flayer. You really inspired me and gave me the source needed to finish this race. You can see his Illithid at lapinknits.webs.com/Illithid.pdf

In my old thread I started it by talking about why I decided to compile thise race, and what you as a player or a DM should watch out for when allowing a Mind Flayer in your party. I also talked about how we managed to put a mind flayer into a Lawful Good party. I've decided to copy-paste the old intruduction of the race here, if anyone feels like reading it:

Devourer of Brains: Playable Illithid (heroic tier)

You have to be crazy to just be thinking about adding an illithid to someones Campaign. Illithids, or Mind Flayers, are evil, evil, evil and are attacked on sight in most communities. If your campaign has a setting that allows a PC illithid (such as an adventure group from an underdark city, or a group of evil heroes), then have fun using this template to create your own playable Mind Flayer. If you want to add a Mind Flayer into a group of heroes, scroll down to the bottomn of this post and take a look at my Good Mind Flayer 

I have a rule of never(ish) saying no to my players. In one of my weekly sessions our barbarian died. After I announced his death, my friend playing the late barbarian replied "Can I improvise?". Not knowing what I was saying yes to, I nodded. He then worked into the story, right then and there, how the group released a Mind Flayer from his magical prison and that he now owes them and will follow them until he has paid his dept and saved their lives. I stared at my player in awe. "What have I done?"

I immediatly began working on a Playable Illithid for my fellow improviser. I took a look at some homebrews but they all seemed either overpowered or “just not right". It took me some time, but I think I have compiled a playable Mind Flayer that keeps the flavour of the monster it is based on and is not overpowered. 

NOTE:
There are much cooler and more original homebrew races out there, but this one is for the DMs that just want to give their player the choice af being a Mind Flayer and not have to worry about them. This is a "safe" race. It also has a lot of leevay for DMs when it comes to making adjustments and changing skill bonuses, ability scores, feats and racial powers. 

Epilogue:

Remember, Mind Flayers are evil, and always evil. Please look them up on dndwiki, wikipedia or WoTC monster source before adding one to your campaign. If you have a evil party, an evil campaign setting or anything else that allows an evil PC, don't hesitate to use a Lawful Evil Mind Flayer. If however you are running a "standard" dnd campaign, you might have to make some minor adjustments.

Do not ever put a traditional Mind Flayer in your classic hero party, that is not a good idea. However, you can do some minor fixes to justify it. I recommend making him Good, Neutral Good or Chaotic Good, and giving him a reason (background) for being so. (*sigh* Somehow I feel a lot Drizzt cards are going to be played... Oh well...).

My GOOD Illithid

I gave this a lot of thought. My main concern was that in any town or city in the basic DnD world, an illithid would be killed on sight. They are evil, and all people know that. To fix that problem I used Potion of Eladrin Shape.

Potion of Eladrin Shape
Power (Consumable): 
Minor Action. After consuming this potion, you alter your appearance through illusion, appearing as an eladrin of your gender. Your eladrin guise is not of any particular eladrin, and it shares some of your general features. Thus, if your nose is particularly long or wide for a member of your race, your guise has an eladrin nose of greater size as well. If you have a particularly distinctive feature, such as a facial scar or discolored eye, this too is revealed in your eladrin guise. You retain your attire, mannerisms, voice, and speech patterns. This effect lasts for 1 hour or until you dismiss it (a free action). You gain a +5 power bonus to Bluff checks to pass yourself off as the creature you’re imitating, although you do not gain this bonus when speaking.

My second problem with the playable illithid was: "How will I convince my player that his character is GOOD despite being an illithid?". You never want to give your character the ability to say "My character is evil, I'm just roleplaying". That's just asking for trouble.

My Story:

I went with the story of a war between the humanoid races of The World and a Far Realm force lead by illithids and Aboleths. I found out afterwards that this story really works in the Eberron campaign setting. The only way to defeat the forces of the Far Realm was to learn their weaknesess or better yet; learn how they think. The mages and artificers of the kingdom managed to magically manipulate a illithid tadpole. When the tadpole begin sucking the brain out of a test subject they commenced a magic ritual meant to combine the two creatures, rather than replacing the test subject with an illithid. This worked, making a Human Illithid, with the cunning and intelligence of the illithid and bravery and virtue of the human race. 

Then the rest is pretty see-through. He doesn't get accepted by society, never finds a place where he truly belongs, can't get back to his former live, becomes addicted to Eladrin Shape potion which may lead him the wrong path (but he struggles to fight against his urge to do evil deeds and his illithid-side) and so forth and so forth. The test subject could even have been a mighty warrior or leader of the human forces (lawful good), and now he is forced to the shadows. 

This takes care of all your problems, it makes him want to do good, it gives him an interesting backstory, a way to interact with people (the potion) and even a personal struggle (stay away from the dark side).

Reserved

Did some minor fixes, not important to anyone except those playing (or DM-ing) a Illithid. Those out there playing a mind flayer, compare your racial feats and utility powers with this thread and see if anything has changed ;) 

Fixed the feat "Sadistic Mind"

Ok, three things jump out at me as needing fixing:
Ability Scores: I really don't think +2 dexterity should be in there. If you look at the various 4e mind flayers, constitution or wisdom is usually higher than dex. I would go with wisdom, since it matches up with mindflayers being more able to sense when people are lying to them and sense things all jedi-like and whatnot.
Devour for Information: A level 6 utility power (or any utility power, for that matter) should not be able to autokill a helpless enemy. (Keep in mind that you can be helpless and at full hp.)
Mindblast: Mindflayer's mindblast dazes enemies. Obviously, that is too potent an effect for your racial power, which is why you made it slow (and -2 attacks with the feat). However, dazed doesn't impose a penalty to speed or attack rolls, so you may want to consider penalties more in-line with daze, such as granting combat advantage and an inability to flank or take OA's.
Thanks for the tips, and congratulation on the Arcane Archer. I've yet to check out the new tiers, but I've heard you did a good job ;)

I'm usually less about mechanical and more about acually role-playing when it comes to things like these, as I'm sure you noticed on my Illithid, and if I have any worthwhile tips, they're this: You are putting too much emphesis on insane. Illithids aren't neccessarily insane, but sublimly misunderstood. They do perform sick experiments and their actions and methods do put them into the 'insane' catagory for us, but they aren't twisted, like you're bakind them seem. And their is also a form of hierarchy. Each Illithid is on his own, and they kill each other for sport, but the there is a hierarchy. The Elder Brains are the supreme leaders of each Mind Flayer city or settlement, and then it descends in raw mental power, and those who have more wealth/thralls/etc. Scientists are also rather high ranked. But none of them (except for the Elder Brains) are immune to assault and murder at the hands of their brethren. Just some things to think about. Smile
Have you ever wanted to play a character out of the norm? A character... reviled by society, something that offers you a unique role-playing challenge? Have you ever wanted to play something more hated and innately evil then Drow? Have you ever wanted to be a...Mind Flayer? Page 8 has the current complete version.
I'm usually less about mechanical and more about acually role-playing when it comes to things like these, as I'm sure you noticed on my Illithid, and if I have any worthwhile tips, they're this: You are putting too much emphesis on insane. Illithids aren't neccessarily insane, but sublimly misunderstood. They do perform sick experiments and their actions and methods do put them into the 'insane' catagory for us, but they aren't twisted, like you're bakind them seem. And their is also a form of hierarchy. Each Illithid is on his own, and they kill each other for sport, but the there is a hierarchy. The Elder Brains are the supreme leaders of each Mind Flayer city or settlement, and then it descends in raw mental power, and those who have more wealth/thralls/etc. Scientists are also rather high ranked. But none of them (except for the Elder Brains) are immune to assault and murder at the hands of their brethren. Just some things to think about.

Here here.  There's a reason earlier editions had them as Lawful Evil.  As for the Mind Blast power, you could try sans the damage and keeping the dazed effect, going for full-on controller power.
The psych resist needs to scale with levels, or at least tiers, and if you choose the brain devourer option for +3 in an untrained skill, what happens if you later gain training in that skill?
Scaled the resist with tiers. Anyone here think it should be x + 1/2 level?
When an illithid spends time learning a subject he already has some information on via "Devourer of Brains" he replaces a lot of that info with more accurate- or up-to-date information. This means that the bonuses don' stack, just like they do using RAW. +3 to untrained skill + training in that skill = +5 not +8.

I've just noticed some minor errorsin the formatting and grammar of my original posts. I'll get to fixing them ASAP. 

Ok so can you retrain the skill bonus to a new untrained skill or do you forever doom yourself to out-of-date info on one topic?
Retrain what "skill" bonus, we have "trained" and "racial" bonuses?
New untrain skill? As opposed to the old untrained skills?
If you choose to retrain a skill it's only like gaining a -2 and a +2 (old vs. new), but remember that sometimes you have to be trained in a skill to be allowed to do certain actions, such as certain acrobatics stunts and Detect Magic.

The racial bonus is "I read it" and the trained bonus is "i've done this a thousand times" 

.... If I start off with the brain devourer bonus in intimidate, but eventually find it so useful I wanna get the full +5 and options for more (skill focus, maybe even skill powers, etc.), so I take the feat skill training (intimidate). What happens to the +3 bonus from brain devourer? does it transfer to a different skill? does it still apply to intimidate? or does it just dissapear?
It disappears, basically. xD

hey i fond this mindblast power in the web i fink it will be work better.

Mind BlastMind Flayer Racial Power
Your enemies don't look so cocky now that they painfully squirm and twitch, tasting how their puny mind is worthless against yours.
'Encounter Star.gif Psychic'
Standard ActionClose Burst 3
Target: Each enemy in burst.
Attack: Intellicence+2 or Wisdom+2 or Charisma+2 Vs. Will
Hit:1d4 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, the target is dazed (save ends) and has -2 to save rolls and defenses until the end of its next turn.

11th Level:2d4 + Intelligence modifier, -4 penalty to enemy.
21st Level:3d4 + Intelligence modifier, -8 penalty to enemy.

Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and do not change the power’s other effects.

and i fink  evry mindflayer needs  this to

Feed: As an Illithid, you feed on the brains of fallen enemies. If a large or smaller living humanoid enemy has died within the last hour, you can eat its brain, regaining hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Extract: To extract a brain from a large or smaller living Humanoid creature an Illithid must succeed one grapple check to attach each tentacle. Each tentacle attached will grant the flayer +2 to the next grapple check. After four tentacles have been attached, the flayer may chew through the skull of its victim and extract and devour the brain killing its target instantly.

Brain DrainMind Flayer Racial Power
Your enemy feels its own consciusness flow away as you dig your tentacles into its head and devour its brain.
At-Will
Minor ActionMelee
Target: grabbed, dazed, stunned or helples living Humanoid Creature
Attack: Strenght+2 or Dexterity+2 of Constitution+2 Vs. Fortitude
Hit:5 + Dexterity modifier damage. If this power reduces the target to 0 hit points or fewer, you devour its brain, killing it instantly. As you kill the target, you get a 1d4 + Creatures Intelligence modifier temporary hit points.

11th Level:10 + Dexterity modifier, +1d6 bonus.
21st Level:15 + Dexterity modifier, +1d8 bonus.

Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and do not change the power’s other effects.

(brein drain is change to mor balance )

feats:

Jeweled Tentacles [Heroic Tier]

Prerequisite: Mind Flayer.

Benefit: You can wear an additional ring. You cannot gain the benefit of another item/power that lets you wear an additional ring.

Master Mind [Heroic Tier]

Prerequisite: Mind Flayer,Telepathy
Benefit: Your Telepathy range increas the rang off one half your lv

sorrce: www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mind_Flayer_%284e_...

Devour for InformationIllithid Utility 2
Your send horrobil pictures, dream's and ridels to the creautrs mind to breake it and the puny mind is telleing you effrefing you wold like to now.
'Encounter Star.gif Psychic', Fear
Standard ActionRange 5
Target: One Creature in Range
Attack: Intellicence+2 or Wisdom+2 or Charisma+2 Vs. Will
HIt:· You recieve the answer of one question the enemy knows the answer to. The answer is limitied to one hundred words.
· View one room, one similarly sized outdoor location, or one object that the enemy has seen within the past week. The image you see is drawn from the enemy's memory, and so might not be entirely accurate.
· You gain a +5 power bonus to one skill the creature was trained in. This bonus lasts until the end of the encounter or five minutes, whichever comes first.
Aftereffect: You  gain 4 + bonus to intimidate checks to the target

Wow, I just logged on for the first time in months, and it's really interesting to see one of your oldest posts on the front page xD

I just might get back into the whole homebrewing scene again, as for now I'll just say: use what works best for you, your players, your characters, your story and your setting :D

Happy gaming =)