05/06/2010 TWTW: "Exploring New Phyrexia"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

The Birthing Pod / Liquimetal Coating deck is legit. I took out the Nature's Claims and replaced them with 4 copies of Virdian Emissary, and swapped a Brutalizer Exarch for Wurmcoil Engine. At that point, the deck utterly demolished every single deck I played it against. The inevitability and CA it has is ridiuclous.
In that "Carnivore's Dilemma" deck, you've got two playsets of Bloodthrone Vampire.  Is one of those supposed to be Flesh-Eater Imp?
Just curious, but did we at all consider Bludgeon Brawl alongside the Puresteel Paladin? And Semblance Anvil still works just as well, now turning all of your 2-mana noncreature Artifacts into free cantrips. Safe assumption you'll be hitting Metalcraft, I believe, so the Paladin could pretty easily wind up with quite a lot of completely free equipment piled on. Sounds nice... And an awful lot like scary old Affinity/Vedalken Archmage shenanigans. Ah, nostalgia.

Not sure just what Artifacts you'd want to load the deck down with, but I suppose you've got your choice - if they're sufficiently cheap (like when you start piling up Semblance Anvils), they're all going to replace themselves freely, anyhow. Ichor Wellspring would be nice. Mirrorworks, perhaps? Golem Foundry could be silly - particularly with the new Splicers running about. Shimmer Myr lets the whole thing run at instant-speed. Of course, I don't think think all of those things are necessary - but fun ways to use an interesting deck, yes...
Oh Cool. Playing with 8 Bloodthrone Vampire in Carnivore's Dilemma. That's some great Super Secret Tech right there.
my guess would be viscera seer

sacrifice those bloodghasts, drop a land, sacrifice again, sacrifice the seer, cast fresh meat.

On the puresteel paladin deck my thoughts were for living weapon, something like this

flayer husk 3
glint hawk 2
stoneforge mystic 4
puresteel paladin 4
tumblke magnet 2
sword of feast and famine
sword of body and mind
sword of war and peace
glimmerpoint stag 4
skingwing 3
strandwalker 3
razor hippogriff 4
batterskull 4
sun titan

plains 20
emeria sky rui 3

I think it has enough early plays to stay in the race, and the recursion makes it hard to control.

sideboard would include contagion clasp, relic warder, journey to nowhere frantic salvage.

it would also be possible to add in venser with a few pilgrims eyes and a couple of islands, but not sure what to cut.
No Mitotic Slime in the Carnivore deck?  Bloodthrone Vampire can eat it all and instantly become a 15/15.  Then you cast Fresh Meat and get 7 3/3s.  Worth considering, at least. . .
The Birthing Pod / Liquimetal Coating deck is legit. I took out the Nature's Claims and replaced them with 4 copies of Viridian Emissary, and swapped a Brutalizer Exarch for Wurmcoil Engine. At that point, the deck utterly demolished every single deck I played it against. The inevitability and CA it has is ridiuclous.

I like your version of it a lot more than the one in the article. I looked at that and thought "OK, cool Johnnyish combo, a good deck for a From the Lab column, but what's the win condition? Attacking with Brutalizer Exarch?" Your version, though, could bring in a Brutalizer Exarch if they still need to be kept under control or bring in a Wurmcoil Engine if you're ready to finish them off.

I'll bet you could also take out the Overgrown Battlements too, or put them in the sideboard against aggro rather than maindeck. You're not actually casting anything with a higher CMC than 4, you really want to spend your second turn's mana on Liquimetal Coating, and you'll be blowing up a permanent of your choice as early as turn three so you don't need to worry about defense too much. Not sure what I'd replace them with - a second or third Wurmcoil Engine or other fatty? Put the Nature's Claims back in? Elixir of Immortality so you can reuse all the stuff you're sacrificing in long games? A one-drop creature to get started ASAP?
Just curious, but did we at all consider Bludgeon Brawl alongside the Puresteel Paladin?

I was this side of not ranting how the authors tend to ignore the technology of the current set over the preference of the tech of ZEN block, but I am glad to see someone else at least maybe feels the same annoyance that I do.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Wasn't impressed in the "update" of the Mortician Beetle deck by just throwing Fresh Meat in it, so I took a stab at my own Mortician Beetle deck to revamp it with New Phyrexia cards.

What do you think?  Post New Phyrexia Mortician Beetle Deck.

Oh, and ChozoGhost, that Mitoic Slime suggestion is pure win.  Thanks!  Wish I had thought of it! 
Wasn't impressed in the "update" of the Mortician Beetle deck by just throwing Fresh Meat in it, so I took a stab at my own Mortician Beetle deck to revamp it with New Phyrexia cards.

What do you think?  Post New Phyrexia Mortician Beetle Deck.

Oh, and ChozoGhost, that Mitoic Slime suggestion is pure win.  Thanks!  Wish I had thought of it! 

As for what I think of it, it's cool and looks fun but would probably be too inconsistent to be competitive. You've got 13 one-ofs in the main deck alone and no acceleration, tutoring or filtering except for Viscera Seer. It looks like those bombs are meant to be put on a Mimic Vat, so why have only two of those? Eight Equipment is probably too many for a deck with only nine creatures you want to attack with. And discard effects probably don't need to be in your maindeck.

Here's my spur-of-the-moment version of a "Post New Phyrexia Mortician Beetle deck":

I figure there's no need to include too much control in the maindeck or much removal at all; the whole point of this deck is to either overwhelm them before they've got a defense, or trample over their blockers with Unnatural Predation, or not make your sacrifices until after they've declared blockers. As for all the stuff I cut from your version, it's not that I don't like it - I'd love to see a Thopter Assembly in a Tempered Steel deck, I have a Mimic Vat deck of my own - I just don't think it fits well here. (Why doesn't Phyrexian Obliterator fit well? Because they're never going to do damage to it, they'll just find some way to kill it without doing damage.)
Havn't seen this yet, but tokens with Hellion eruption and then fresh meat, get double critters. 4/4's and then 3/3's

The Pure Gear (WW Equipment) deck is pretty close to what I was planning to build with Puresteel Paladin myself. But the list in the article lacks a very important card I will assuredly play, and it literally screams for it: Basilisk Collar. The deck already has 4 Mortarpod, which in conjunction with the Collar allows to you to directly trade any creature equipped with both for any of their targetable creatures (with a little bonus of 1 life). Normally, repeating this costs 4 mana, which can be painful especially in the face of instant speed removal, but with the Paladin and Metalcraft, you make that 0! My current Standard deck, with which I top 4’d a Nats qualifier, is a GW Fauna-Vengevine deck with a large equipment package included, and half of the games are won on the back of this “combo”. I hesitate between finding a way to fit the Paladin in that deck, or make a WW similar to what was shown here. I must say I’m quite tempted by Porcelain Legionnaire, as it’s very fearsome when equipped by Basilisk Collar (First Strike + Deathtouch).

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Flayer Husk seems like a much better card than Vault Skirge in the Pure Gear deck.
Oh Cool. Playing with 8 Bloodthrone Vampire in Carnivore's Dilemma. That's some great Super Secret Tech right there.

It has invisible phantom rules text explaining that you can put eight copies in a deck, then another line of phantom rules text explaining that its phantom rules text is valid. It's all very sophisticated.
I was this side of not ranting how the authors tend to ignore the technology of the current set over the preference of the tech of ZEN block, but I am glad to see someone else at least maybe feels the same annoyance that I do.

To grant them the benefit of the doubt, I'd wager they're encouraged to showcase how well the set interacts with other sets - they don't want it to appear that the set only works with itself (and you're much more likely to buy into a new set if it interacts well with the cards you already own). Still, Bludgeon Brawl is too cool a card not to warrant a mention, particularly when it shares quarters with Puresteel Paladin so nicely. As much as I understand the desire for diversity, having them completely overlook (genuinely or otherwise) interesting combinations in the same set does come off as pretty nonsensical...
Would it be possible to shoehorn in the glistening elf combo with the liquimetal deck? It allows for a win condition for the deck but also adds the possibility of the turn 2 win. I'd imagine this deck wants to go first anyway. Would this work or just water down liquimetal's effectiveness?

Will it Wreck?
4 Glistener Elf
4 Manic Vandal
4 Viridian Corrupter
4 Oxidda Scrapmelter
4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Assault Strobe
4 Crush
4 Groundswell
4 Nature's Claim
4 Liquimetal Coating
4 Copperline Gorge
7 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

The deck runs substantially fewer lands, but I attempted to offset this by opting for the cheapest options available, and bringing in only lands that could be untapped in the first 2 turns. Acidic slime is out for its 5cc. I think that the deck won't be hindered too much by the extra combo, because the glistener works with the viridian corrupter for the infect win, and assault strobe could help a creature swing across for double damage, helping the time clock for both damage and infect wins, and groundswell helps this, but has the benefit of saving your dudes from direct damage styled disruption. I havent tested this or anything but then I don't really have a proper venue from such things. I'd appreciate some sort of feedback on the concept though.
Sign In to post comments