05/05/2011 TD: "Kinda Sorta the Top 10"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Isn't Chancellor of the Tangle essentially just a crippled Elvish Spirit Guide?
Isn't Chancellor of the Tangle essentially just a crippled Elvish Spirit Guide?

Doesn't cost you a card and Green can cast it's Chancellor most reliably.

I mean, T1 Chancellor Mana, forest, Two Elves into t2 ??? T3????.

I mean, heck, T1 Chancellor Mana into Forest into Explore into Forest into Elf?

That said, I don't play green.
It just seems silly to intentionally mulligan into a card that's going to be dead for several turns, which is exactly what Channy T is encouraging.
Would like to know why Torpor Orb isn't getting more love. It's two mana, you shut down everything that was good about Squadron Hawk and most of what was good about Stoneforge Mystic, plus it depowers the Titans somewhat. I can see it being a strong sideboard card if you're on the play second game.

Is the germ's toughness 5 or 4? It looks like a 4/4 when played.

Is Gitaxian Probe's Peek that close to Ponder?

I know it's a "free" or "pitch" card, but it doesn't dig like Ponder.

I can see your point with Inquisitor Exarch, if there is a White Weenie deck that's good enough (which I doubt pre-rotation), and maybe see Due Respect as a sideboard card-I'm not against trying it. But Chancellor of the Tange is absolutely horendous, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even mentioning it as playable in Standard.

Yes, a turn 1 Shaman or Cobra can be a blowout, but not only do you have to make sure that the Chancellor AND your sick 2 drop are in your opening hand, but unlike a Leyline, the Chancellor is horrendous to draw on literally any other turn. You are trading in too much potential power for consistency. Sure, when it works it will feel awesome, and all the more power to you if that's what you're going for, but if you actually want to win in a competitive arena, do not play this card.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com

Is the germ toughness 5 or 4? It looks like a 4/4 when played.

I was wondering about that, as well. Two people have compared Batterskull to Baneslayer Angel and I don't get it...

Baneslayer is a 5/5 with flying, first strike, and lifelink for five mana.

Batterskull is a 4/4 with vigilance and lifelink for five mana. (I'm not sure why people keep saying it has five toughness, maybe it's some strange instinct people have where they force themselves to think cards are way better then they actually are.)

The only thing they have in common is lifelink. That, and they're really powerful. (Though Batterskull is just a bit overhyped in my opinion, even with stoneforge.) You can put it on a 1/1 with flying to kind of make it like Baneslayer, but even then it is missing first strike.
Dark Ritual, because slow and steady does not win the race.
Lifelink and vigilence?

But if this were meant to be a regular old set review or Rop 10 list, that's what I would have done throughout.

Does anyone edit these articles?

Good one, goblinrecruiter.

Honestly, when I saw "Rop 10" I thought Mike was being cool and using a term I wasn't familiar with.

Anyway, I'm glad other posters are talking about Batterskull and the 4/4 situation.  I have also been wondering why the number '5' keeps coming up.  Maybe it's because you can't actually equip a zero toughtness creature in MOST situations...?  Not really sure how that keeps happening.

On another note, Dismember for TWO mana is something I haven't even thought about.  Thanks, Mike.  Good lookin' out. 

Mike pointed out probably the best possible use: t1 fauna shaman then pitch the chancellor for something castable. That makes it better than ESG. However, it sure seems like the worst card in a bad cycle. These sure aren't Titans.

I think the reference to 5 attacking damage is including the Stoneforge Mystic, too. The comparison to Baneslayer is just a vague one since reasonable body + lifelink is close enough.

I don't think Due Respect will be making any decklists unless Ball Lightning-type cards suddenly become huge.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Karn, Liberated costs :7mana: , Mental Misstep can be used against spells with only one mana cost (thus, it's no Force of Will)... none of these cards are as ridiculous or undercosted as Jace, the Mind Sculptor, or Tarmogoyf. I don't want to say that as though it's a bad thing, but, while the cards mentioned are certainly good cards, the title of "Legacy staple" is, it seems to me, hyping the set just a bit too much.

Still, the Karn planeswalker, being colorless, is easy to cast, and it has abilities that are all upside, and the plus one earns loyalty fast. So I wouldn't be surprised at some of these good cards making it to Extended, at least.

But the gap between Extended and Legacy is a big one.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Mental Misstep will make an Impact in Legacy. Free counters are always good, even if they are conditional, and there are mpore than enough targets in Legacy to make it viable. Heck, Pyroblast sees Legacy/Vintage play, so Mental Misstep will be played.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
So your opponent runs out a second-turn Stoneforge Mystic. He goes and gets something innocuous... Say a Mortarpod. He looks at his grip, plays a Celestial Colonnade, and passes. Just keeping his options open, right? He is leaving up two for a Mana Leak if he needs it... and why not?

How did my opponent just time-walk? =/
Was wondering about this as well. I guess we're supposed to assume it was a turn 2 Mystic into a turn 3 Celestial Colonnade? Hopefully the red player roasted the Mystic EOT, but if not, he's right about the strategy. You'll need an answer for the presumed Batterskull.

I was wondering about that, as well. Two people have compared Batterskull to Baneslayer Angel and I don't get it...

Baneslayer is a 5/5 with flying, first strike, and lifelink for five mana.

Batterskull is a 4/4 with vigilance and lifelink for five mana. (I'm not sure why people keep saying it has five toughness, maybe it's some strange instinct people have where they force themselves to think cards are way better then they actually are.)

The only thing they have in common is lifelink. That, and they're really powerful. (Though Batterskull is just a bit overhyped in my opinion, even with stoneforge.) You can put it on a 1/1 with flying to kind of make it like Baneslayer, but even then it is missing first strike.

I think people assume the Germ token is a 0/1 when it comes into play. It's a reasonable assumption, since there aren't that many other 0/0 tokens running around, but it's still wrong.

They're both medium-to-large creatures with 5 CMC that can't easily be killed, have lifelink, and lack conditional abilities like Serra Ascendant, and lack activated or triggered abilities that might make you want to do something with them other than attack. Titans are (generally) easier to kill and they're also used as much for their ETB-or-attacks abilities as to attack with. Eldrazi are also meant to attack with but you basically have to cheat them into play. Weenies go for quantity or weird abilities rather than quality. Batterskull and Baneslayer Angel, on the other hand, just attack until a player dies, and with the lifelink it probably won't be their controller. I'm not saying Batterskull and Baneslayer are particularly better or worse than other creatures, it depends on what you need and all that, but I'm just saying that I do understand an equivalency between the two.

They're both medium-to-large creatures with 5 CMC that can't easily be killed, have lifelink, and lack conditional abilities like Serra Ascendant, and lack activated or triggered abilities that might make you want to do something with them other than attack. Titans are (generally) easier to kill and they're also used as much for their ETB-or-attacks abilities as to attack with. Eldrazi are also meant to attack with but you basically have to cheat them into play. Weenies go for quantity or weird abilities rather than quality. Batterskull and Baneslayer Angel, on the other hand, just attack until a player dies, and with the lifelink it probably won't be their controller. I'm not saying Batterskull and Baneslayer are particularly better or worse than other creatures, it depends on what you need and all that, but I'm just saying that I do understand an equivalency between the two.

Ah that makes sense.

So in short, they're both beaters? XD

Dark Ritual, because slow and steady does not win the race.
I love the implication in this article that Stoneforge will be played OVER Jace. I think somebody needs to take another look at Caw Blade, because those two cards aren't seperate archetypes.
...Did they fire their editor or something? This article is atrocious.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
...Did they fire their editor or something? This article is atrocious.

The Flores articles on this site never really read like anyone edits them. They always seem like a bunch of random stuff with some tangentially related decklists.
Sign In to post comments