You’re all a bunch of spineless wimps

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

Got your attention, did I?

Thought so.

Well then, now that I’m inside your head, I’d like to point out the obvious: The Realms are in bad shape and you haven’t done all that much about the situation besides gripe online to strangers about how bad things are.

I’d also like to point out that I’m very impressed with my writing—especially my Realms writing—and frankly I doubt you could do any better. In the immortal words of Snoop D-oh-Double-G: Don’t get mad. I’m only being real.

What’s that? Disagree, do you?

Well then, I propose a challenge: for once in your life (if you still live with your grandmother and have never been on a date), once a month (if you’re creatively challenged), once a week (if you fancy yourself inventive) or once a day (if you’re a glutton for punishment), I dare you to write custom Realmslore in the Running the Realms section of these forums.

It doesn’t have to be pretty, can contain or not contain game rules, can riff off of some extant bit of Realmslore (Volo’s Guides, FTW!) or come from someplace in left field where they don’t even know what canon Realmslore is.

What it must be is something about the Realms that YOU wrote and YOU felt like sharing.

Start your thread with “[your screen name] is not a wimp!” Then write your post(s) in a timely manner, and we’ll all read and quite possibly comment on them.

I may give constructive advice. Diffan may ask questions. Stigger may go so far as to gag and demand you do better next time or he will disconnect your internet connection, forever.

The way I see it, you can rise to the challenge or you can go back to sitting at your keyboard and resume your accomplishing the ironic feat of wishing you could fix the Realms, while simultaneously not actually doing anything about the problem.

:P

[Edit] Before I forget: if you participate, you have forever after earned the right to call anyone and everyone a wimp who frequents the Realms forums but has not yet themselves participated in the challenge.

LOL.  Wink

Okay, when I suggested a master thread, this isn't exactly what I had in mind.  I didn't see you had posted this, because I was working on this thread over here.

Besides, I don't think a simple challenge is going to motivate people, unfortunately.  Though I do agree with the general premise that people should stop complaining and start fixing.
Hmmm... called that one right you did.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Youre on buddy!!

I probably wont get around to it today, or possibly even tomorrow, I just got home from work and im beat, but mark my words I will.

I'll probably start off detailing Blackrock, my Earthmote that I made up, its basically a giant flying cemetery with a spelljammer dock, how cool is that!?

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
How cool, you ask?

VERY COOL!

Do not dissappoint me. I look forward to reading your write up soon!

@Mel: its SO worked for me lol.

@ Mr. Mic, just have one question before this madness begins...... can it be Old realms?.........
@Ody: Of course it can be old Realms!

To me, it's all The Realms. Pre-plague. Post-plague. Homebrew. You name it.
hmmmm that  map looks familiar.... now where have I seen something like that before....

wimp am I?

no, its just lunch time.....
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Ok, do you know how hard it's going to be to re-do ALL of the 3e to 4e conversions stat-blocks I did for the Items of the Realms thread?! The very thought made me sorta puke in my mouth. So I think I'll go Dig that thread up and BAM! Hells, maybe I'll even convert some additional items to boot Sealed.

That being said, what I'd really love to do is get a formula for Organization Creation like they had in the Player's Handbook 2 (v3.5). That'd be something that anyone can benefit from, not just Forgotten Realms fans. It's still in it's infancy stages but I'm looking at specific levels = Power Swap ideas, specialized weapons and armor, and even powerful artifacts......... And maybe (just maybe) I'll do the War Wizards of Corymr first.
Ok, do you know how hard it's going to be to re-do ALL of the 3e to 4e conversions stat-blocks I did for the Items of the Realms thread?! The very thought made me sorta puke in my mouth. So I think I'll go Dig that thread up and BAM! Hells, maybe I'll even convert some additional items to boot .

A link would certainly help. Wink

5 days later and only one person has answered the challenge.

Bunch of wimps!

:/

[Edit: though the efforts on the fanon project give some cause for hope. Let's hope the copious details give way to some actual writing and soon.]
I'm hoping to post something within the next couple of days. I've been organizing my notes, but stopped halfway through and decided to go in a different direction.

I'm going to create a thread where I begin detailing my personal (highly altered) Realms.  Which up until now have just been a bunch of notes and ideas floating around in my head... things I'd been hoping to organize for awhile to share with others.

Hopefully I'll have more free time in the next couple of days and will at least have a chance to get started on the thread.
Patience my friend. Spines take time to harden.

Now where are my calcium supplements?

As much as I'd like to participate once a day (hells, I'd be happy for once a week) it's been very busy. Two-year olds are often difficult and she doesn't really allow for any downtime. I'll post and do what I can though.

I am awaiting the new Neverwinter Campaign Guide actually. Curious as to what will end up in it. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of interest in the realms with both of my games being Eberron and Dark Sun. My next game I am running will be in the Point of Light setting with an extremely planar focus. Perhaps if the NCS is any good I might consider running a realms game again (either that or I will copiously pinch everything good from it).
Search for 4E Moonblades in these Realm Forums don't remember which one it was in now. I think there may be some useful information there though it was before this Spine Challenge.

As far as Conversions from 3E to 4E, it shouldn't be too hard, consider party Level and which encounters you would like to use (source material).  My problem using some of the older games is my players might have done alot of those in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition.  

I have however considered using some of the intellegent items from older sources (2nd and 3rd).  These would be Artifacts in 4E but ahhh what flavor and rich dangerous histories they hold in the Realms.  I have house ruled some of these Artifacts unbeknownst to my players where an item grows with power as the user of the item advances.  The user is not aware of it being an Artifact until the character reaches the level of the Artifact (Paragon/Epic).  They have noticed item's modifier going up with their level advancement as to the basic magic item similar to the Artifact.  I'm still waiting for the player to do some specific skills on the item to gather hints to it's destiny and their own.  Game time will tell.
I am awaiting the new Neverwinter Campaign Guide actually. Curious as to what will end up in it. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of interest in the realms with both of my games being Eberron and Dark Sun. My next game I am running will be in the Point of Light setting with an extremely planar focus. Perhaps if the NCS is any good I might consider running a realms game again (either that or I will copiously pinch everything good from it).

I too am waiting excitedly for the Neverwinter Campagin Guide to come out. I had started running an adventure there as very little was known about the city and the surrounding environs after the Spellplague (we know things worked out rather badly). So I had the city being fought over by evil Fey who want to destroy the city completly and revert the Neverwinter Wood to Fey masters. They've co-signed a pact with Fire elementals and Fire Salamanders from Mt. Hotenow who want the city for themselves and they're all using various Orc Tribes in the area as Fodder and Grunt soldiers who've been promised a good portion of the city and Docks to create the first ever Orc Fleet. So the PCs are attempting to stop this war by aiding what's left of the Neverwinter army backed by powerful Waterdhavian houses and the Church of Tempus.

Anywho, I'm hoping the Campaign Setting has a few excellent maps for the interior battles I plan as well as information about the city itself. I have a feeling the city will be fairly civilized so I don't think it'll be as much use to me in the beginning but I hope the PCs are involved the the recovery process and thats where the book will really come into play.

Also, the supplement will release the Bladesinger class. I'm assuming with the current trend of classes released recently, it'll be of Essentials style and probably a sub-class of the Swordmage (probably a striker).
Ahh, ashe racked Neverwinter, I'm interested to see what is presented also.  We know Mt. Hotenow blew it's top destroying pretty much all of the city except for a bridge(c.1449?).  We also know the few survivors are in the process of rebuilding.  Many from Waterdeep are coming up to aid.  There are also those being paid to help defend the reconstruction effort from wandering monsters that have been pushed out of there dens.  The cultist are having a secret war with Netherese.  I remember there were some Undead being raised by both sides to use as troops.  Some of those may get loose in the country side.  I think some of those undead are monsters as well as former residence.  I think it was said somewhere that many from Luskan and other cities north struck out to aid in the reconstruction so hold your purse close and keep in mind those trade costers trying to get good standing within the new city.  Alot of intrigue spinning in the area much of which wouldn't be known by the general public but we shall see.  

I had thought about starting a Neverwinter topic based on all the old history, lore, and surrounding area just as a sort of Countdown to Neverwinter.  This way those of us who use the new material will have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition 'Fluff' easily available.  I know after a volcanic blast much can get destroyed but there would be some things uncovered and more easily found by adventurers and mercenaries.  Watcha think?  

Countdown to Neverwinter
Previous Edition 'Fluff' easily available
history, legends and lore of the old city and surrounding area
I put it over in Realmslore section Smile

The way I see it, you can rise to the challenge or you can go back to sitting at your keyboard and resume your accomplishing the ironic feat of wishing you could fix the Realms, while simultaneously not actually doing anything about the problem.

you could do what I did, say good bye to the realms and go to Pathfinder 
My group started up again, but doesn't use the Realms. I'm not currently running a Realms game, the time I used to spend on the Realms has shifted to homebrew settings. That's kept me busy for the last several weeks and will remain so for a while. I wished I had more time for fanon or other contributions.

Pathfinder!?

I guess Pathfinder is ok if you want to spend money on yet another 3e rulebook. I mean if you like that system then why not just stick with 3e? Why the need to go buy more books? I just dont get it, but to each their own, that was my main beef with 3.5 as well.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
The Realms are in bad shape

With over 200 excellent, official adventures written for it just in 4e, the Realms seem in better shape than any setting I've ever seen.

I for one would be interested in writing new material. But. I would like to know what would people like to read about.

Tell me and I'll see what I can come up with for you.
That which does not kill me, makes me stranger.

With over 200 excellent, official adventures written for it just in 4e, the Realms seem in better shape than any setting I've ever seen.

If you're not in the RPGA/Living Realms organized play thing which those were written for (which is to say the majority of Realms fans) the Realms is starved of content compared to its presence in every other edition of D&D so far. It's a shame.
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10

If you're not in the RPGA/Living Realms organized play thing which those were written for (which is to say the majority of Realms fans) the Realms is starved of content compared to its presence in every other edition of D&D so far. It's a shame.

Don't forget the RPGA/Living Realms are no longer officially supported by WotC.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams I ♥ My Realms

Actually, all you need is a DDI subscription and all the Living Realms stuff is free to obtain. In addition, it gives you all th back-logs of every article that features the Realms. Just saying, there is a lot of lore out there, but you actually have to pay to get it (I know, I was shocked too!!)

Actually, all you need is a DDI subscription and all the Living Realms stuff is free to obtain.

Actually, you don't even need that. Living Forgotten Realms stuff is free to everyone. No DDI subsription required. I provided the link in my earlier post. Anyone can use all that stuff to their heart's content.

I figure someone will still find a way to complain about enormous amounts of free, well-made Forgotten Realms material, but I'm genuinely curious how.

Don't forget the RPGA/Living Realms are no longer officially supported by WotC.

The vast majority of those adventures are from the time when WotC was putting the "Official" label on them. And if anything the newer stuff is even better quality (and still sanctioned by WotC).
I come back after some time off (well spent too: I’ve been running an awesome Realms game in Cormyr for a nice group of players; some totally new to the game, others 30 year veterans of the game) and this is what I see: nothing*.

Meh!

What’s it take to get you people writing?

:hugz everyone:

There.

*Except for totalpartykilldm's work, which qualifies him as awesome and most of you as sorely lacking. Isn't there at least *something* about your Realms games that you can share?
I've been away myself.  As a halfling rogue with sticky fingers, I got cooked to death by a Construct Furnace Golem...  Came back to the game a week later with a Murdath, a Zhent Black Guard, Knight of the Black Gauntlet out of Melvaunt.  I didn't do well with the build so I talked with the DM and came back with an evil Paladin.  Used many of the same powers but had more encounter powers which were useful to the useless wind bags, he's been traveling with.  They are however coming to know the greatness of the Black Hand of Doom.  Murdath has learned to stay away from which ever foe the Changling Sorcerer blasts.  He thinks it's odd that the changling is carring around chard remains of some halfling which he sometimes dines on.  Another party member is a deadly hybrid vampire.  He dishes out damage but is coming to learn, by having respect for the Dark Lord, Bane will provide the healing he needs in combat.  We did storm a pirate isle recovering some magic oil for a wizard with good Platinum.  We found some slaves so we sold them to the highest bidder on the black market. We even gave them extra rations to row us back to the mainland.

My other gaming group I put on a side trek using  Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams which converted to the Realms very easily.  The Sleeper in the Far Realm made reference to in this adventure, by my research is Gargauth.  There is even a reference to a suit of leather armor with horns.  I had the history of the adventure point to the time of the death of Mystra and the collapse of the Weave.  I also changed the Raven Queen to Kelemvor.  There is also an oath the PC's can take and once in the grip of death they see a Skeletal Arm rise up before them raising a Scale instead of Ravens calling in the distance.  It has gone pretty smooth with those adjustments. 

Reread The Dragonlance Chronicles  and Raistlin Chronicles.  Just finished reading R.E. Howards Black Hounds of Death Otherwise just trying to stay cool in the Summer heat and waiting for Bury Elminster Deep.   Hope to get some more time to get back in here and post again but I have been outside alot.
I haven't played D&D in over 3 weeks Cry so I've nothing really to comment on. When we do start up again, hopefully this Monday, we're going to do the Loudwater campaign (level 1 yay!!) where I hope to immerse my players into the Realms full-tilt. We've got two veteran players coming and a new guy who I've never met that is a friend of a current player. I've been told he's into the heavy role-play and likes content and story over hack and slash style games. Problem is, I run a very combat oriented campaign (well most of WotC adventures are that way). So any advise on keeping things interesting to someone who's not into combat?

Aside from that, I'm contemplating making up an Item set (Paragon Tier) that is Shark themed. Basically it'll be a longsword, full-plate, boots, helm, and gloves set. I don't have a name yet (looking for ideas BTW) but I'm invisioning a full-helm with a face-plate that hinges like a Shark's maw with the gorget being the lower-jaw and a fin on the top. The suit of full-plate will be light steel (think 18 gauge steel) that's reinforced with magically hardened shark skin that allows buoyancy and some sort of "cloaking" ability to blend in with the surroundings. The longsword will be cruisiform in style (like most medieval weapons) but the blade will be serrated like a shark's tooth and have some sort of daily power that deals ongoing damage or possibly adding a "Weakend" status due to the trauma it inflicts like a shark bite. The boots will give someone swim benefits and maybe a benefit to charging (regardless of water or land). The gloves, still not sure on but it's still a work in progress.

The lore behind the suit is that it was designed for a Pirate captain of the ship called "Mako" who loved to knock people into the water and then follow them into the deep blue, hacking and slashing all the while. Sorta like reveling in the bloodlust as many sharks do. His demise came at the hands of sea-elves after they were attempting to help sailors who fell into the drink. They came across this frienzied predator who was killing everythying in sight. They, with the help of a Ranger's dolphin, mortally wounded the crazed Pirate captain. He was dragged abord Mako but died hours later. Since then the suit of armor has passed many hands and remained intact for almost a full decade before being bartered and sold for booze (mostly rum) and evenings with lasses at the local pub or for other....more illegal activities.

So the set was dispensed all across the Sword Coast. The pirate captain Gnash of the Much Kill currently holds the suit of armor and sword of the item set and is currenlty working on a way to get the Abolethic Sovereignty to the Sword Coast (he's been twisted by the Far Realm).

How's that Mr. Misc? Laughing
Well done, Diffan!

Question(s): did Gnash come across the full plage and sword at the same time, such that he has no idea there's more to the set? Or is he familiar with the lore of the set and actively searching for them when not working to spread the Abolethic Sovereignty's influence on the Sword Coast?

Do you have a name for the slain pirate captain?

I'm also wondering if a goodly (or at least bent on vengeance) NPC might still be seeking that captain's lost relics; someone who perhaps has the gloves and boots and wants only to keep the set out of any slay-them-all type of pirate's hands.

Well done, Diffan!

Question(s): did Gnash come across the full plage and sword at the same time, such that he has no idea there's more to the set? Or is he familiar with the lore of the set and actively searching for them when not working to spread the Abolethic Sovereignty's influence on the Sword Coast?

Yes, won the sword over a card game and then killed the owner (who was wearing the armor) when the owner attempted to take back the sword after the game was done in the back alley. Gnash then took the armor and wears it proudly.

Do you have a name for the slain pirate captain?

I'm also wondering if a goodly (or at least bent on vengeance) NPC might still be seeking that captain's lost relics; someone who perhaps has the gloves and boots and wants only to keep the set out of any slay-them-all type of pirate's hands.

It's unlikely that the item set's origin is widely known. Though I'm sure it's appearance would be recgonized. Gnash knows bits and pieces and probably would persue those other items if not for the strong pull of the Abolethic Sovereignty's designs. They're just too strong of a voice for him to deter in their mission. People do still talk about the items as a whole along the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, and Baldur's Gate. Stories mention how terrifying it was going up against what many people thought was a Wereshark, how cruel the sword was, and how the depth of the sea would not offer protection.

I'll post more over on the thread Jorunhast made about the suit. As to not derail this topic further.
Sign In to post comments