Powers - How to describe?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Some creature powers are described in game mechanics terms for a miniatures game but leave me feeling a bit unsatisfied with how to describe to the players what has happened.

For example this power with the Hoop:

Transmuting Touch,  Encounter, Attack : Melee 1 (one creature); +6 vs. Reflex, Hit: The target can't make weapon attacks (save ends). First Failed Saving Throw: The target can't use Omega Tech powers.  Second Failed Saving Throw: The target discards a readied Omega Tech Card

Unless someone were familiar with older versions of Gamma World, they may not be aware that the item is transmuted into a rubber like substance.

For the Yexil's Laser Eyes, why does the target take a -2 to all defenses (save ends) when hit? 

I feel that more fluff text should have been provided.  Any thoughts?  How have you handled this? 

my players are rarely concerned with the detailed visuals that your talking about, so unless your players spesifically ask you to discribe powers in detail, i wouldnt sweat the details.

that said, I agree that gamma world (at least the first box) is sevierly lacking in the role playing details that we would exspect from a D&D game.
You pretty much invent it on the fly, because it might vary by character or situation.  It's a good way to flex your creativity.

Perhaps the target takes the penalty to defenses from the Yexil's eyebeams because it's half-blinded by the brightness of the laser.  Perhaps the pain is distracting.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.