New Phyrexia: Best Multiplayer Cards

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK folks, it's time for this thread. The set's been spoilt for more than a week, we're a few days from pre-release, and the cards are linked in Gatherer. Let's do it!

For those who are new to this, the rules are as follows:
1) Tell me which card(s) from New Phyrexia are going to impact your multiplayer environment the most, or which you stare at and say "I want four". Multiple votes are allowed if you can't decide, but don't give us sixteen.
2) I will tally them here.
3) I vote first. Because I can.

And also, I must give props to Tich for his awesome New Phyrexia multiplayer guide. Go read it for some more in-depth stuff on the set!
My (not as in-depth) thoughts are in my latest blog post.

The Tally

3 Votes
Beast Within

2 Votes
Norn's Annex

1 Vote
Chancellor of the Dross
Fresh Meat
Isolation Cell
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Praetor's Grasp
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
In accordance with Rule #3...
I know I'm going to see some horrible shenanigans with Torpor Orb. And someone gaining insane amounts of life with Shattered Angel (and then probably triggering Ajani's ultimate for lulz).
But the card I want four of straight up, just to see how it turns my playgroup on its head, is, surprisingly, Isolation Cell. It's uncommon, and it's probably as close as we'll ever get to allowing a deck of any colour to go creatureless. I want to get a hold of it, run it with Mirrorworks, and see how quickly I can bork a game up. But I'm nasty like that.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
For my meta, I already know that one of my friends wants soul conduit for a form of the dragon deck he has. Another card that I will mention to a friend of mine is unwinding clock for a grindclock deck he just recently made. Mindcrank is another card that fits specifically with my friend's bloodchief ascension deck.

I need 4 suture priests...badly.

Personally, I think Isolation Cell is very meh. At first glance it looks awesome, but if you really think about it, most people will just be losing 2 life, which will be annoying at best. If your playgroup is anything like mine, people will kill you for being annoying more than if you're winning. Suture priest is like that too, but I can build around it, I can't really build around isolation cell, it depends on what your opponents are playing.

Ultimate card for the thread: Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. This dude should make reanimator not only bonkers, but a little flavorful too.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
My vote goes to Norn's Annex just because taxing effects are so damned strong in mutiplayer, and this one is essentially colorless. It was a close call between this card and Shattered Angel though. She is a 5 mana 3/3 flying with "hyper" lifelink as far as I'm concerned, I daresay she beats out Exalted Angel in a multiplayer setting. Still, my vote goes to the Annex.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
my vote also go to Norn's annex... but suture priest was close ...

I think that a white/* control with suture priest , norn annex and isolation cells... may cause some problems around many tables especially if you can put some doubles soon... if casting creatures cost 2lives + between 4 lives and 4 mana then attacking cost 4 lives... there will be less fight...
My vote goes for the green Vindicate. This will find its way to many green decks in multiplayer, its just that good!

Honorable mention goes to upgraded the Caller of the Claw, Fresh Meat because its really good tool for "critter decks" to deal with the Nukes
#1)  Chancellor of the Dross, seriously.  It is a 6/6 flying, lifelinker.  That by itself is fairly good.  But if you get it in your opening hand, you don't have to mull it away.  You get a free Syphon Soul Blood Tithe out of the deal ... which is pretty good and very scalable in multiplayer.  I'll take it.

#2)  Fresh Meat is going to be good.  Very good.  With all the sweepers that usually accompany multiplayer games, it is hard to commit to the board and make it stick.  This makes it so much better.  Me likey.

#3)  Praetor's Grasp.  Tutor effect + stealing effect = just good plain fun.    It might slow a game down, so it isn't #1 overall.  But, if you play with folks who are friendly, they might be willing to give you a few tips to speed up your search.  Multiplayer also means that you have more targets with more cards that might be in your colors.  This one is easy to get excited over.

Honorable Mention:  Shattered Angel needs to get a mention, though.  A 3/3 flyer for 5 isn't very strong.  But the fact that people don't stop at their 5th land-drop means this can get very nice for you very quickly.  I wish she was actually printed as a 2/4 or a 2/5 since you will rarely want to attack with her (politics, hoping people forget about her, defese, etc).  But, for 5 mana, I could see you gaining lots of life over the course of just a few turns.  The fact that she is small means most people won't waste removal on her at first, too.  Very solid, but needs some play time to figure out just how good.
The way that I look at New Phyrexia, it's a set that's most notable for its support cards.  Sure, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and Sheoldred, Whispering One are both excellent finishers that will likely be gracing multiplayer tables for years to come, but they lack the staying power and general usefulness of the most potent cards of the set.

Honorable Mentions
Suture Priest - the illegitimate love-child of Soul Warden and Blood Seeker

Sword of War and Peace - the final sword.  Double protection is nothing to sneeze at, and it's abilities aren't half bad to boot.

Birthing Pod - throw on some creatures with etb abilities and you're set for utility.

Deceiver Exarch - for its infinite combo potential, it warrents a mention.

Shattered Angel - This card represents the narrow subset of lifegain cards that I actually like.  It's attached to an evasive creature, scales beautifully in multiplayer and potentially gains you an absolutely obscene amount of life (especially against ramp decks).

Noxious Revival - Potentially free graveyard recycling available to every color?  I like what I see.

Phyrexian Metamorph - What's better than the bastard child of Clone and Sculpting Steel?  Why not give it to every color.  This is an incredibly verstatile card that represents everything that I love about blue, which is now available to other colors as well.

Sheoldred, Whispering One - Last I checked, Abyss and all of his little friends were pretty top-notch cards in multiplayer.  Same went for Reya & Co..  Throw them together on a large, evasive body and you get black's Preator (who, by the way, plays wonderfully with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite - This card is amazing for many of the same reasons as Massacre Wurm (which is quickly proving its mettle).  This will kill an amazing lot of opposing creatures while giving you the near-equivalent of a permanent white 'Overrun.  Token strategies will obvously love this card; then again, so will most decks running a plethora of creatures.

Fresh Meat - Wrath effects are king in multiplayer, and this card is just the thing to bounce back from them.

Norn's Annex - Tich said it best, taxing effects are powerful effects in multiplayer.  This card represents a powerful disincentive to attack you, especially for non-white decks.  The fact that this is available to all colors means that it is going to pop up in a wide array of decks.

Tezzeret's Gambit - Red finally has a viable alternative to Browbeat (itself a pretty fantastic card).  White finally gets a good card draw spell.  Hell, this isn't even half-bad in green as an alternative to Harmonize.  Beyond giving Divination to every color, proliferate is a highly underrated and extremely powerful rider effect that compliments any number of cards and strategies.

Karn Liberated - This card is absolutely insane.  He ramps up his loyalty like no other and acts as repeatable permanent removal (notably through exile).  It can also strip down people's hands and win games by restarting them, but his most potent use is an easily repeatable Vindicate.  This will be the biggest boon in green decks, which can ramp into him reasonably quick and stands to gain the most from the disruption this card can produce.

Beast Within - It's no secret that green doesn't get creature removal very easily.  Beyond hating on color, flying or artifacts, it really can't handle creatures very well.  This is essentially the green Pongify.  It's cheap, versatile, instant removal with what ultimately is a mostly negligible drawback.  I honestly see this rounding out nearly any deck running green.

So yeah, my vote goes for Beast Within.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Beast Within. I saw it and bought 8 playsets really cheap immediatly. The current price is already twice of what I paid for them I love e-bay

But back to the card. Green barely gets instant speed creature destruction and I love instant speed destruction because I can hold back and hope things don't attack me, get solved by others, etc, etc. Instant speed removal can be used when it is truly needed and this gets rid of everything from lands to planeswalkers. What's not to love? The drawback you say? A minor inconvenience because a 3/3 isn't that scary for green decks.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Beast Within. I saw it and bought 8 playsets really cheap immediatly. The current price is already twice of what I paid for them I love e-bay

But back to the card. Green barely gets instant speed creature destruction and I love instant speed destruction because I can hold back and hope things don't attack me, get solved by others, etc, etc. Instant speed removal can be used when it is truly needed and this gets rid of everything from lands to planeswalkers. What's not to love? The drawback you say? A minor inconvenience because a 3/3 isn't that scary for green decks.

The worst you can do is aim it at your indestructible permanents!

You'll still get the token.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sleeper picks...

Phyrexian Ingester
Singleton and EDH/Commander All-Star. This is the blue Woodfall Primus.
Multiplayer is the land of giant creatures and recursion spells to bring them back.
Its going to be so nice to get removal and a 9/9 or better body along with it, and its splashable, too. Duplicant sees play, and this is Duplicant if it was a giant game winner creature. 
Also, that "when it enters the battlefield..." clause is imminently abusable in blue.

Melira, Sylvok Outcast
Wither and Infect and -1/-1 counters see plenty of work in MP. Shuts down poision.
Infinite combos with Persist creatures and sacrifice outlets. Cheap legend with great abilities for EDH decks. 

Triumph of the Hordes
Going to be a game ender, I can feel it. The "Trample" ability seals the deal.